To Much To Quickly?

halltd

I don't know if the stores themselves will last, but if demand can be judged by how packed the place is, I think there's demand for a district such as this...and the size. Even if it is just to suck away some crowds from the parks, I'm all for it. I really don't see how so many hat, sunglass, and flip flop places can stay in business, but someone must think so.

dstrawn9889

I don't know if the stores themselves will last, but if demand can be judged by how packed the place is, I think there's demand for a district such as this...and the size. Even if it is just to suck away some crowds from the parks, I'm all for it. I really don't see how so many hat, sunglass, and flip flop places can stay in business, but someone must think so.
again, Disney doesn't give two rat turds who is in the Springs, as long as the rent checks cash... an even dozen starbucks? great! --- just pay Pauley

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
again, Disney doesn't give two rat turds who is in the Springs, as long as the rent checks cash... an even dozen starbucks? great! --- just pay Pauley

I don't feel that this is entirely true. Yes, they want to rent pay check, but they also want stores that have staying power so they aren't constantly looking for replacements and ending up with boarded up stores even if it for the short term,

djkidkaz

I think part of the concern I have is I feel Disney is going for the tourists who go to the outlets. Those folks go to the outlets to buy discounted clothes and shoes and such. The outlets are basically like a day at the thrift store for them, which Disney isn't going to be able to replicate. I'd be curious to know how well the West Side has done since opening? I feel like a lot of those shops cycled out frequently which may be a precursor to what will happen at Disney Springs.

jt04

I think part of the concern I have is I feel Disney is going for the tourists who go to the outlets. Those folks go to the outlets to buy discounted clothes and shoes and such. The outlets are basically like a day at the thrift store for them, which Disney isn't going to be able to replicate. I'd be curious to know how well the West Side has done since opening? I feel like a lot of those shops cycled out frequently which may be a precursor to what will happen at Disney Springs.

I disagree that DS has anything to do with competing with the outlets. It is a very different business model than what was built a couple decades ago. I think they have a well thought out plan that caters to visitors. It really is a much needed option for those who want to continue the fun after the parks close. But also an amazing draw for locals who want to stop in for a fix of Disney magic.

Marlins1

I agree that we could see some of the glut of retail shops struggle but the restaurants and scenery look amazing. Once the spring opens in the middle I think this place will be a must see destination. I do a couple of WDW trips per year and will have to include DS every time compared to once every few trips for DTD. There will be too many good restaurants and bars to hit on one trip.

s8film40

The whole WDW property has to catch up from 10 years of neglect - but at least they are working on it now.
I agree completely. I would love to see them use this shared cost approach with other projects as well. Disney builds the attractions and Reedy Creek helps with the infrastructure. I think this is the reason this project is moving along so well. Imagine if they redo Hollywood Studios and simultaneously Reedy Creek expands the monorail!

HauntedMansionFLA

Nope. The demand is there.
I agree, the parks keep increasing their attendance each year. Families need places to dine and do other activities outside of the four parks. Hopefully they will add some family friendly activities like some sort of mini-golf that's well themed.

Mouse Detective

I'll repeat what I wrote long ago. I don't know where all the people are going to come from to support all these new restaurants. Yes, they will be busy during the summer and over the holidays and at spring break. But most of the year are not those peak attendance weeks. And there are a lot of new tables, a whole lot of existing tables and a whole lot of competition that has opened with their own tables along Sand Lake Road, I-Drive and Citywalk.

roj2323

I'll repeat what I wrote long ago. I don't know where all the people are going to come from to support all these new restaurants. Yes, they will be busy during the summer and over the holidays and at spring break. But most of the year are not those peak attendance weeks. And there are a lot of new tables, a whole lot of existing tables and a whole lot of competition that has opened with their own tables along Sand Lake Road, I-Drive and Citywalk.
There are a lot of locals to fill those tables

Next Big Thing

So here is a question I have been thinking about, are they making Downtown Disney to large, to quickly? They are coming close to doubling the amount of stores and restaurants compared to when the project started. Is there enough demand for all this?
Being there just last night, i'll say the place was bursting at the seams and was a claustrophobic mess. Every store was packed, people were buying things, enjoying the entertainment, I even saw two separate amphicar rides come back in when we got done eating at The Boathouse at around 9:30. Planet Hollywood had a 40 minute wait last night and all of the other restaurants looked insanely busy.

So yes, I think it actually NEEDS the expansion to roam around, and alternative shopping/dining locations.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom