To Croc or not to Croc?

redfive13

Ok, 37 days until the super hot August trip. Always trying to find comfy shoes to wear (hate flips, won't wear them), really on the fence about the Crocs. I consider myself a rather "on-trend" 39 year old Dad and I'm well aware that Crocs aren't really trendy in the least bit. But they look so dang comfy, breathable, waterproof, etc...

Can anyone talk me into these shoes? Are they really that comfy? Are they really that convenient?

goofysgurl

I purchased Crocs for all my children before our trip last year, they love them, and I figured they be great if they got wet at the parks and for time at the pool. After several blisters and band-aids (which are a must regardless of shoes) I realized the best shoe to wear at WDW is something you've been wearing for a while and have broken in well.

Upvote 0

Pete C

There is absolutely no comparison between any sort of laced up shoes and the traditional ugly Crocs with the holes (Cayman style). As you stand your feet expand. With laced up shoes, even with well worn-in shoes your feet have nowhere to go. If you are going to stand all day, eventually after a few days the pain will set in and standing becomes a nuisance. I have not experienced this at WDW, but when I travel for long periods and am walking around a lot regular shoes are simply not an option. That is just for me and I am sure many people are fine with shoes, but I can't do it and it's not a weight thing as I am in good shape.

Anyway, back to Crocs...they saved my entire vacation once. In Japan while visiting various cities, Disney and other parks, my group decided to hike up Mt Fuji. This was in the middle of our trip and let me tell you, my feet were already tired from so much standing and walking but the hike DOWN the mountain simply did them in. So much pain. I knew I had to find a solution and remembered the Crocs kiosk at the little mall at Disney. I hated Crocs...made fun of them, never even considered wearing them, however I was desperate and heard of how comfortable they were. I tried them on, found one that fit decently enough and off I went. Well, the difference was simply amazing. Instantly I was able to stand for long periods and the pain of hiking wore off in just a day. INCREDIBLE!! I urged my buddy who was also in pain to get them and he reluctantly bought a pair out of urgency...same result. He was loving them and we were able to walk everywhere from city to city, standing for long periods...no pain, nothing. Any sort of blisters could only be caused by the wrong size or a different style of Croc. You might get some rubbing at the lip of the shoe, but on the inside I can't see most would get blisters since there is so much room. Anyway, to answer your question...

TO CROC!!!!

I will add that any sort of open Croc would work as well. The sandals are great, but if you want closed toe shoes for protection you are going to have to go ugly.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

There is absolutely no comparison between any sort of laced up shoes and the traditional ugly Crocs with the holes (Cayman style). As you stand your feet expand. With laced up shoes, even with well worn-in shoes your feet have nowhere to go. If you are going to stand all day, eventually after a few days the pain will set in and standing becomes a nuisance. I have not experienced this at WDW, but when I travel for long periods and am walking around a lot regular shoes are simply not an option. That is just for me and I am sure many people are fine with shoes, but I can't do it and it's not a weight thing as I am in good shape.

Anyway, back to Crocs...they saved my entire vacation once. In Japan while visiting various cities, Disney and other parks, my group decided to hike up Mt Fuji. This was in the middle of our trip and let me tell you, my feet were already tired from so much standing and walking but the hike DOWN the mountain simply did them in. So much pain. I knew I had to find a solution and remembered the Crocs kiosk at the little mall at Disney. I hated Crocs...made fun of them, never even considered wearing them, however I was desperate and heard of how comfortable they were. I tried them on, found one that fit decently enough and off I went. Well, the difference was simply amazing. Instantly I was able to stand for long periods and the pain of hiking wore off in just a day. INCREDIBLE!! I urged my buddy who was also in pain to get them and he reluctantly bought a pair out of urgency...same result. He was loving them and we were able to walk everywhere from city to city, standing for long periods...no pain, nothing. Any sort of blisters could only be caused by the wrong size or a different style of Croc. You might get some rubbing at the lip of the shoe, but on the inside I can't see most would get blisters since there is so much room. Anyway, to answer your question...

TO CROC!!!!

I will add that any sort of open Croc would work as well. The sandals are great, but if you want closed toe shoes for protection you are going to have to go ugly.

There are so many styles now for both men and women that they don't have to be the ugly Caymans (which aren't really all that ugly to me).

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

I have my daughter wear Crocs every day. She is still stroller riding for at least one more trip. For me, I have to wear sneakers and I hate wearing the, Flip flops are just a no-go for that much walking. I hate wearing shoes and about to look into those "toe" shoes. They are goofy looking, but if they are as comfortable as people say and give a feel of being barefoot, then I don't care what I look like.

Upvote 0

Pete C

I have my daughter wear Crocs every day. She is still stroller riding for at least one more trip. For me, I have to wear sneakers and I hate wearing the, Flip flops are just a no-go for that much walking. I hate wearing shoes and about to look into those "toe" shoes. They are goofy looking, but if they are as comfortable as people say and give a feel of being barefoot, then I don't care what I look like.

The toe shoes great for running, but without adequate cushioning I can't see them being comfortable for standing around for long periods which is the real issue at parks. Is standing barefoot for long periods comfortable? I couldn't tell you because I haven't really tried it.

Upvote 0

Pete C

Don't do it my bro.

Go with some TEVA sandals if you need the wide open feel.

TEVA is pretty comfortable, but there is a difference. The Crosslite footbed is much softer, and does not absorb any water so your shoes never retain foot sweat and smell.

If you go to Crocs website you will see there are loads of styles of sandals, even ones like TEVAs.

Upvote 0

Pete C

There are so many styles now for both men and women that they don't have to be the ugly Caymans (which aren't really all that ugly to me).

Agreed, they have slip-ons, sandals, flip-flops, sneakers, work shoes...just about everything. I just know that for the closed-toe shoes Cayman is the one with the widest fit in the toe area and is really awesome for standing around.

Upvote 0

Javier Boughton

Ok, 37 days until the super hot August trip. Always trying to find comfy shoes to wear (hate flips, won't wear them), really on the fence about the Crocs. I consider myself a rather "on-trend" 39 year old Dad and I'm well aware that Crocs aren't really trendy in the least bit. But they look so dang comfy, breathable, waterproof, etc...

Can anyone talk me into these shoes? Are they really that comfy? Are they really that convenient?

to Croc!!!

ive taken mine on my last 3 trips and worked like a charm. you can get them wet and they dry very quickly.

Upvote 0

ncstate7991

TOE SHOES ROCK (AKA Vibram Five Fingers). I dislike shoes and these things are so comfortable. I either wear flip flops when not at work, but flip flops do not cut a long day in the park.

HTML:
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

I also have a pair of "shoes" that have the same Vibram sole
HTML:
http://www.rei.com/product/810573/merrell-trail-glove-cross-training-shoes-mens

If you do not like shoes but cannot wear sandals/crocs all day, do not knock this type of shoe until you at least put it on.

Upvote 0

YankeeMouse

I was an original Crocs wearer and they saved my heels from pain from plantar fasciitis from heel spurs. But sadly, I think they have changed the manufacturing process because my old original ones are much softer on the insole and the newer ones I have purchased are not the same quality. In fact, last Disney trip, I was shocked when I developed blisters on the balls of both feet on a broken in pair, but not "Disney broken in". When I compared them at home with the original pairs from years ago, I realized they felt different inside and were manufactured in China, not the original Canada ones.

I did buy a pair of flat canvas slip ons, like the Toms shoes, on Main Street with Mickey on them, they are Crocs and very comfortable. A soft insole.

Sneakers with socks drive me crazy, too hot. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

Pete C

I was an original Crocs wearer and they saved my heels from pain from plantar fasciitis from heel spurs. But sadly, I think they have changed the manufacturing process because my old original ones are much softer on the insole and the newer ones I have purchased are not the same quality. In fact, last Disney trip, I was shocked when I developed blisters on the balls of both feet on a broken in pair, but not "Disney broken in". When I compared them at home with the original pairs from years ago, I realized they felt different inside and were manufactured in China, not the original Canada ones.

I did buy a pair of flat canvas slip ons, like the Toms shoes, on Main Street with Mickey on them, they are Crocs and very comfortable. A soft insole.

Sneakers with socks drive me crazy, too hot. Any suggestions?

I have found that it depends on the model. Some of their shoes have a hard sole and cause foot pain. These were much better looking than the original Crocs, but they ruined the thing that made them great. You need to look for ones that have the original soft sole like that of the Cayman. Several of the other types have this sole as well like the slip-on type and the sneaker type (which has laces).

Upvote 0

Pete C

TOE SHOES ROCK (AKA Vibram Five Fingers). I dislike shoes and these things are so comfortable. I either wear flip flops when not at work, but flip flops do not cut a long day in the park.

HTML:
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

I also have a pair of "shoes" that have the same Vibram sole
HTML:
http://www.rei.com/product/810573/merrell-trail-glove-cross-training-shoes-mens

If you do not like shoes but cannot wear sandals/crocs all day, do not knock this type of shoe until you at least put it on.

I guess I am going to have to try these out.

Upvote 0

Mr.Skunkape

I always tell people to wear what ever shoes that are comfortable to do alot of walking in. Every one has thier own style of shoes that they like best and only you know what is easy on your own feet.

Upvote 0

wilkeliza

I saw one family this year wearing those swimming shoes that have the hard plastic bottoms but are mesh on the outside. I thought it was a great idea since the weekend we were there it rained most of the time. I know they make some good pairs of those that are comfortable and breath and since it is mesh probably won't rub blisters.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Agreed, they have slip-ons, sandals, flip-flops, sneakers, work shoes...just about everything. I just know that for the closed-toe shoes Cayman is the one with the widest fit in the toe area and is really awesome for standing around.

I know, I love my Caymans!

I saw one family this year wearing those swimming shoes that have the hard plastic bottoms but are mesh on the outside. I thought it was a great idea since the weekend we were there it rained most of the time. I know they make some good pairs of those that are comfortable and breath and since it is mesh probably won't rub blisters.

They are great for swimming and for walking a bit, but have no support or cushioning for standing around for longer periods of time.

Upvote 0

ncstate7991

Last plug for the Vibram/Merrell shoe product:

The Merrell Trail Glove cross-training shoes are tough enough to handle light hiking in wet or dry conditions. Their light weight and innovative design let feet work as if they're not in shoes at all.

*DWR-treated synthetic leather and mesh uppers create tough, flexible and breathable barriers around your feet
*Lacing system is anchored by welded thermoplastic urethane; ensures a snug customized fit every time
*Rubber toe bumpers and forefoot shock absorption plates guard against unwanted impacts on uneven surfaces
*Synthetic leather slings around the back of feet add stability
*4mm thick EVA midsoles provide cushioning that makes outdoor adventures easy on your feet; please note, there is a 0mm heel to midfoot drop
*Merrell Trail Glove cross-training shoes have Vibram Trail Glove soles for excellent grip and durability

Upvote 0

CamiLyn227

I take Crocs on every trip to WDW. I only wear them a couple days though because I only wear shoes that look OK with the clothes I am wearing and Crocs can look awful with some outfits. BUT, they keep my feet cool and dry. I absolutely HATE HATE HATE wet socks in tennis shoes! When at WDW your feet can get wet on occasion from water rides, rain, or just plain sweating. I'd rather wear ugly crocs than have to be uncomfortable with WET socks, yuck!:hurl:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom