To Croc or not to Croc?

redfive13

Ok, 37 days until the super hot August trip. Always trying to find comfy shoes to wear (hate flips, won't wear them), really on the fence about the Crocs. I consider myself a rather "on-trend" 39 year old Dad and I'm well aware that Crocs aren't really trendy in the least bit. But they look so dang comfy, breathable, waterproof, etc...

Can anyone talk me into these shoes? Are they really that comfy? Are they really that convenient?

WildcatDen

Black Cayman style Crocs with a nice pair of the Black Anklet socks. My feet thank me. :)

This past trip I took Crocs, New Balance Running shoes, and a pair of Nike sandals. I alternated each day depending on where we were going (did the Nike's at Universal) wearing the Crocs at both Animal Kingdom and Epcot. Really DO NOT CARE what it looks like. Comfort trumps style when you stand and walk as much as you do at Disney!

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
I personally would never wear crocs..I am a reef flip flop girl all the way :D..but on a serious note there are actually quite a few hospitals in New York and nursing programs that have banned their employees from wearing crocs..doctors such as Bob Baravarian, MD, chief of foot and ankle surgery at Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center, have been quoted saying "..they are not made for marathon wear either...It's a good shoe for going to the beach, kicking around the house, going to the corner market, but they're not made to be worn at Disneyland all day long." (PS: I only know this information thanks to quite a few friends in nursing school.)

That's interesting. But the APMA did certify the Crocs' work shoes.

http://www.apma.org/MainMenu/News/Friendly-Footwear-a-Must-for-Those-Who-Work-Standing-Up.aspx

And, if you read this artical on WebMD:

http://diabetes.webmd.com/features/crocs-healthy-shoes-just-comfy?page=1

It sure sounds like the positives outweigh the negitives to me. Even the good doctor says so on page 2 of the article saying:

"They are very light weight and are good for people who have trouble walking," says Bob Baravarian, MD, chief of foot and ankle surgery at Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center. "They are very stable, they don't bend and twist side to side much, and they have a good heel cup and arch contour compared to other shoes."

Baravarian says Crocs have more positive attributes than negative, but they're no substitute for the real deal.

And then goes on to compair them to orthotic or medical type shoes, which they are not and I feel is a bit unfair. The article also goes on saying:

"It's a good shoe for going to the beach, kicking around the house, going to the corner market, but they're not made to be worn at Disneyland all day long," says Baravarian.

I think I remember that quote from somewhere... :shrug: :lol:

Hey, to me, I need a comfortable shoe that I can walk in...all day...for work, Disney, whatever. The Crocs I have, work shoe, sandle, clog...they all help me. And in the end, thats it. If they work for you, get them and enjoy pain free living. If not, I hope you can find something that helps. Nothing is worse than cronic pain, and not being able to walk without pain can be a life altering problem.

Personally, I'm very glad they exist. Short of have expensive operations, with no gaurenty it would help my feet in the end (and could make it worse), these shoes have help change my life. And I tried New Ballance, and a bunch of other "medical" types. None of them worked, some actually caused more pain.

I'm mostly pain free now. I do not come home everyday limping, or go on a trip for work and hobble through the airport from all the walking. They are not a miracle shoe, but if I rub them the right way, I bet a genie will pop out.

:wave:

Upvote 0

spaceghost

Mark me down as another vote for Crocs. Two trips ago, the shoes my wife brought to WDW were giving her blisters, so despite her previous statements that she would "never be caught alive" in Crocs, she bought a pair of the Mickey ones. She said it was like walking on air. Back home, I decided to dive in and got a pair as well, and I was converted. Last trip I wore a pair of the Mickey Crocs and had no problems all trip. No blisters, sores, aching feet/legs. Just purchased a new pair for our trip in a few weeks actually...

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom