To cancel ohana or not...

kasey1988

Original Poster
Here is my deliema, I have been wanting to try ohana, and on our past two trips I was not able to get a dinner ADR, well for September I was now able to!

The deliema, I have read the thread on here and some reviews on other blogs, and well I must say my excitement level has dropped drastically..

Our plans are currently 5:05 at ohana, followed by EMH at Epcot, so super convenient to just hop on the monorail..

But now I'm second guessing and maybe change to garden grill (which doesn't have any openings but I keep looking) or maybe whispering canyon cafe..

What do you guys suggest?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Since I was the OP for the 'Ohana Dinner Disappointment thread, I would cancel. ;) Especially since you have an early ADR as we did.

Whispering Canyon is a lot of fun if you have never been there and is a better value for the price you pay. Food is yummy too.

Garden Grill also good if you can get it.

kasey1988

Original Poster
Since I was the OP for the 'Ohana Dinner Disappointment thread, I would cancel. ;) Especially since you have an early ADR as we did.

Whispering Canyon is a lot of fun if you have never been there and is a better value for the price you pay. Food is yummy too.

Garden Grill also good if you can get it.
We have done whispering canyon before, and thought it was just okay.. But have always read such good things we are willing to give it another shot!

Things are pretty limited right now, there is also avail abilities later in the evening at via Napoli, briegarten, both Mexican resturants and chef de France..

lostpro9het

While I responded to Tuvalu's thread saying we wouldn't eat their again after several experiences, and wont, I think a first timer might be less aware of the shortcomings and I think you may still enjoy it. I agree with the above, also, that WCC is a pretty awesome experience too.

Disneydreamer23

France is amazing and so is Garden Grill. I have an ADR at O hana in Sept for 8 I believe and I am keeping it, I enjoyed going their before and I am willing to try it again even though all the bad rap its been getting.

kasey1988

Original Poster
Just took a peek at le chefs de France, and the menu looks really good! I had never given this place a thought before!

disney4life2008

Do not allow negativity to block you from trying something you really want to. While many posters (including myself) has talked poorly about Ohana - many of us have been there more than once so its easy for us to say we will no longer go. Yet, I myself have a ADR for my August trip. Give it a try! Just remember - the courses come fast. That will not change. But they can not rush you. Ive never had an ADR prior to 830pm. All of mines have been during Wishes and it empties out afterwards. I have sat in Ohana for 2 hours alone eating.

JN3VA

We went last year, had reservations about 5 and it was a lot of fun. The food was good, some things better than others - but I think that's everywhere and will depends on your personal taste and expectations as a foodie. I think if you went many years ago and have expectations based on that memory, you may not like the changes, but if you have never been, give it a go.

For us I think when you go makes a big difference. If we go (to any restaurant) late and hungry and tired, sometimes that can nagatively effect the experience. Thinking back all the restaurants we've eaten in late when everyone, especially the kids, are cranky - no matter how good the food it wasn't as much fun.

DisneyMomD

We have a resi for our July trip and I am nervous, too. But, I just read a post on touring plans that someone had a a fabulous experience at Ohana tonight . We are going excited about the meal!

DManRightHere

Go to ohana's bar and get pineapple drinks. (Cancel reservation).

We are going to try Boma next trip, bro and sis in law had it and said it was very good.

Ohana is probably more fun for the children though, they do lots of games and give leis and such.

m3owbox

I think you should try it out. MY husband and I went in March, it was his first time and I have been numerours times before. It was his favorite restaurant and it remains one of my favorites. We had a great experience and I think you should give it a chance.

JTT

Go! Go! Go!

Ohana is great food, great atmosphere and a great time.

Every place has a bad night. Every waiter or waitress can have a bad night or rub a customer the wrong way. Everybody can have a bad day or other issues that spoil a night out.

Ohana over the years for me has been consistently excellent. One night I did feel a little rushed by my waitress but I still had a great time.

Go and try it and you will know why Ohana is always at the top of the "Best Of" lists for Disney World. You'll know why its a must go for many people and why its so hard to get a reservation.

seahawk7

I say go to Ohana. We cancelled our past reservation but we had been 4 times so we knew what it was like and could wait another year. We might go next time. My experience with Ohana and other restaurants we go to on our annual trip is that sometimes we have a great experience and sometimes we don't. I guess what I'm trying to say is try out a restaurant if you think it sounds like fun and let your experience be the judge. We read bad reviews on the Star Wars Sci Fi Dine In breakfast but did it anyway. We enjoyed ourselves.

stevehousse

I would definitely go! Our upcoming trip this Nov will be the first time we have been able to score an Ohana ADR for dinner for the past 3 years and we r excite to try it. We have always done breakfast here and had never had a problem reserving, just dinner was always hard! We r excited to try it out!

People are more apt to complain than compliment! Just remember that whenever u read any kind of review for a restaurant. If the menu looks go to u, go and try it. Just because a few people r ed about chicken skewers leaving the menu (really guys, your main complaint is the chicken skewers leaving the menu!?!) doesn't now make it a bad restraurant and warrant me to want to cancel. And yes, as of lately that's been the major complaint for the joint which is just silly and makes me LOL! Chicken skewers!

Yes anywhere u go, even a 5 star restaurant can have a bad day and u get bad service and all it takes is that one person to complain and everyone joins in on the bashing...another trend I see is that too many people treat the restaurants at WDW as if they r all 5 star quality and are ed when it isn't! They never were, and the only one that is, is Victoria and Alberts...

You enjoy Ohana for dinner and if u don't end up liking it, you can enjoy a different new place on your next trip! We always make sure we try new places to eat each trip, regardless of what the reviews end up being. Make up your own mind about it instead of letting others do it for u!

cw1982

If I listened to every negative comment on these boards, I would have never gone to WDW at all earlier this month, and this ended up being the best trip I've ever done! I had heard similar things about Coral Reef having ups and downs in their service and food quality, and that ended up being one of my favorite meals. We didn't do any character dining because it's all "all-you-can-eat" and I can't eat much thanks to weight loss surgery, but if we get to go back after we have kids, I will absolutely take them to 'Ohana among other character meals :)

harryk

Been to Ohana in 2012 (December). Will not return. Meal less than satisfactory. Party of 3, each had a different selection and all were not satisfied. Atmosphere was dull and cast seemed 'forced' in trying to improve the atmosphere. Try Whispering Canyon or Artist Point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom