To cancel ohana or not...

Arty Cordova

Here is my deliema, I have been wanting to try ohana, and on our past two trips I was not able to get a dinner ADR, well for September I was now able to!

The deliema, I have read the thread on here and some reviews on other blogs, and well I must say my excitement level has dropped drastically..

Our plans are currently 5:05 at ohana, followed by EMH at Epcot, so super convenient to just hop on the monorail..

But now I'm second guessing and maybe change to garden grill (which doesn't have any openings but I keep looking) or maybe whispering canyon cafe..

What do you guys suggest?

Whispering is great but you lose the monorail. Probably a silly question but have you looked at all the restaurants at the World Showcase? There is no better place to have dinner than
in Epcot.

lunchbox1175

Do not base your decision to go to a restaurant upon what you read on here, try everything once and make the decision for yourself. 'Ohana is hard to get in to, and you have a reservation, so I would go, try it, and see how you like it. If you don't enjoy it, then you will know for your next trip. You will find just as many poor reviews for any other restaurant, and the 'Ohana negativity stems mostly from the people that used to love it, but do not like the changes.

DisneyJunkie

Until they decided to up and drop chicken from their offerings, 'Ohana was consistenly one of my must-do dining spots in WDW.....now, not so much. I can still highly recommend both Nine Dragons and Coral Reef in Epcot, though as an alternate.

cw1982

Again, I still can't believe people r crying over chicken skewers! It's just chicken! :banghead:

I think it's just a classic case of people not liking change (at least where the lack of chicken skewers is concerned). I'm guilty of that. If I decide a certain menu item is my favorite, and am accustomed to ordering that item, then I go in one day and all of a sudden my favorite item that I was craving isn't there anymore, I'd be disappointed. Not sure if it would mean the end of my visiting the restaurant... that would depend on the rest of the menu, the service, and the environment IMO. So I agree that it seems silly for people to say they won't go back just because the chicken skewers are gone, but if it's other changes that took place at the same time that those skewers disappeared, that's a different issue.

lebeau

If Ohana is something you have always wanted to do, go ahead and do it. It's one of those things you do once just to be able to say you did it.

We had a fine dinner there in 2005. We had reservations this trip and cancelled them. But I'd recommend it to anyone who has been wanting to go.

A friend of mine raved about his meal there last year. All Disney restaurants have good and bad days.

stevehousse

I think it's just a classic case of people not liking change (at least where the lack of chicken skewers is concerned). I'm guilty of that. If I decide a certain menu item is my favorite, and am accustomed to ordering that item, then I go in one day and all of a sudden my favorite item that I was craving isn't there anymore, I'd be disappointed. Not sure if it would mean the end of my visiting the restaurant... that would depend on the rest of the menu, the service, and the environment IMO. So I agree that it seems silly for people to say they won't go back just because the chicken skewers are gone, but if it's other changes that took place at the same time that those skewers disappeared, that's a different issue.
Exactly! There r plenty of other Disney restaurants that have removed items from their menus, even signature items that people should complain about!(Citricos veal shank anyone?) but to be upset about chicken skewers is just laughable! It's just boring old chicken!

DisneyDebNJ

If you have never been to 'Ohana, by all means, try it. 'Ohana has always been a favorite of mine, but then again, I fall under the category of guests who have seen the menu change alot over the years, and wished it hadn't. Having said that, I have a reservation for our next trip in October. I actually considered cancelling, but then decided since we're four months out, maybe they'll add something in lieu of the chicken-used-to-be-mesquite turkey. LOL

DisneyJunkie

but to be upset about chicken skewers is just laughable! It's just boring old chicken!

No, that's not laughable at all. If a person doesn't eat steak, pork, and chicken was the only thing there they had that would be eaten (as in my case), then it's not "boring old chicken", it's "at least they have something there I'll eat chicken".

Edit: That's also the main reason I like Coral Reef @ Epcot so much, it's the only entree on their menu I will eat and it's very good.

Last edited:

DisneyDebNJ

No, that's not laughable at all. If a person doesn't eat steak, pork, and chicken was the only thing there they had that would be eaten (as in my case), then it's not "boring old chicken", it's "at least they have something there I'll eat chicken".
This exactly.... My plate always consisted of chicken, (skewers and wings) the noodles, veggies and pot stickers. I love the restaurant just didnt really eat beef or pork often at all. While other members always loved the pork and steak, I knew atleast I had chicken (or even better yet up until a few years ago, turkey)

stevehousse

Ohana is meat lovers paradise! Why go there and only eat chicken?!? I guess I'm ok with that since some of u not going will open up more ADRs for others that haven't tried it yet! But still I find it hilarious that people r that upset over chicken...

DisneyDebNJ

Ohana is meat lovers paradise! Why go there and only eat chicken?!? I guess I'm ok with that since some of u not going will open up more ADRs for others that haven't tried it yet! But still I find it hilarious that people r that upset over chicken...
Well I guess because in my case, I dont eat alot of meat, but my family does. I am sure most of us have family members who aren't a fan of meat but had the chicken-used-to-be-turkey to fall back on. After 20 plus meals at 'Ohana, I fall under this catergory :)

HRHPrincessAriel

The same way I got to a seafood place when I hate seafood. My whole family loves it so why should I be the lone person to dictate what they eat. I always say "They will have something I will eat." Something may be chicken, salad or a burger. It's usually very limited but it's still something.

When I was pregnant I HATED Mexican food. We live in Texas and would go at least once, if not twice, a week. So my DH shouldn't have had Tex-Mex for 9 months because I didn't like it?

righttrack

O'hana, despite any negativity is an experience not to be missed. There is a celebratory aspect to it that shouldn't be missed. People who are negative about it still love the place, just used to love it more perhaps. These types of experiences get all sorts of negativity when something differs the way you remember it as a child. It's a must-do.

melmel89

go for it! if you don't try it this trip you will still be curious and if you didn't enjoy the meal at the other venues you would be mad at yourself for cancelling.

ratherbeinwdw

We went last month and enjoyed it a lot. You still get chicken, just not on a skewer. The ginger chicken is better than the skewer anyway. You can ask for more of that if chicken is all you like. The only thing I didn't care for was the wrap thing that took the place of the chicken skewers. The other three in our party loved it. I didn't, but there is so much more to eat, that it didn't make a difference at all.

m3owbox

We went last month and enjoyed it a lot. You still get chicken, just not on a skewer. The ginger chicken is better than the skewer anyway. You can ask for more of that if chicken is all you like. The only thing I didn't care for was the wrap thing that took the place of the chicken skewers. The other three in our party loved it. I didn't, but there is so much more to eat, that it didn't make a difference at all.
I definitely agree that the wings are better than the skewers were anyway. So much more flavor!

disney4life2008

I spent $35 on my meal alone at Red Lobster tonight for a shrimp trio platter, drink, and apperizer.

Wait I am confused? Ginger chicken - what is that? and what is this wrap thing that replaced the chicken skewers?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom