Trip Report To All Who Come to This Happy Place....Welcome (BACK)! A Disneyland Trip Report

So, it's been a couple of weeks since we returned from our first return visit to Disneyland since the 60th in 2015. I had planned to start this report shortly after our return but things have been very busy and I'm only finding some time to get started now.

To bring you up to speed, Kelly and I were sitting around one day in mid-August daydreaming about some type of Disney trip and when we might finally be able to get back to the parks after what has felt like an eternity thanks to COVID. Well, it turned out that the daydreams became a reality in very little time and we ended up booking a trip back towards the end of August.

Without re-hashing the entire story, feel free to review the PRE-TRIP report which includes a lot of focus on the new COVID measure for Canadian travelers and a few live trip posts. Big thank you to all of those who provided suggestions leading up to the trip and for following along as we tried to bring you along with our Instagram stories.

Without further ado, let's dive right in, shall we?

THE LEAD-UP

Ok, I know much of this is included in the pre-trip report but I think it's worth touching on really quickly for any other Canadians who might read this. As we know, there are several new requirements in order to travel into the States and back home to Canada. As we only had a couple of weeks to get everything in order, we needed to move pretty quickly to bring ourselves up to speed on what was needed in order for us to cross the border without any issues.

The main thing was, of course, to be COVID negative! I'd say we were pretty cautious leading up to the trip with the exception of a wedding we attended the week before. We were both paranoid that our trip might not get off the ground if somehow we needed up getting sick so we played things pretty close to the house until it came time for our pre-travel tests. Thankfully mainland entry to the US only requires a negative antigen test which we were able to do at a local drugstore for $40/each. The results came back negative within 15 minutes and we at least knew we'd be able to make it to Disney!

Aside from the testing, there were several forms and health questionnaires we needed to fill out, one from the CDC, one from LAX, and we wanted to ensure we had our proof of vaccination with us at all times. Our province is one of the only in Canada that is not moving towards a vaccine passport so we had to print our records and try to rely on an app that was seemingly not accessible at all times when outside the country. Thankfully everything that we did prepare in advance was more than what we required, but not knowing what to expect leading up to the first cross-border trip in this COVID era, did cause a little extra stress.

If you are a Canadian and thinking of taking a trip, feel free to DM us if you have any questions. Happy to share our experience with you.

Now to the good stuff!

AUGUST 26 - TRAVEL DAY AND DCA!

We knew this was going to be odd traveling without the girls, especially to a Disney destination. Somehow they seemed ok with us going away but deep down we knew it would be tough on all of us not being able to share in this experience. Yes, we did travel to WDW for the 2020 Marathon Weekend without the kids but that likely did them a favour given the crazy early wake-up calls and time spent in running corrals!

Anyways, with the kids shipped off to the grandparents the night before, our alarm was buzzing shortly after 4 am local time to get us up and moving for the airport. With the lack of flights, we had no direct to LAX options for this trip so we were to fly from Edmonton to Vancouver before making our way to LA.

Not knowing what to expect at the airport we made sure to arrive early just to be safe. We walked into the ticketing terminal shortly after 530, dropped off our bags, and zipped through security. The only noticeable change was the fact everyone was wearing masks. We didn't get many questions about vaccines or COVID outside of producing the negative test results.

First stop was to find a bite to eat while we waited for our first flight. The airport was pretty busy which kinda caught me off guard but it was nice to see people traveling again.

We found a table at one of the airport restaurants and order some breakfast to fuel up for what was going to be a long day.
idyVBx1SYFo0LzumNzIrkh_KL9dL0mdJcGDhZjVkpJ07o9IW-p-2JLi738vNOA-mQe_TD9yLw7_FzNNFiBgy2w2tNS2XN6OmbYggVOmGVTUbqCx9LY4vfuSLck7OC4XMX42xd82ait8=w2400

it has been so long since I've had an airport beer...I just couldn't resist!

fwIdKqcOhn2Y_OW28fuzfBr311YsEMqb4FaApIqdTIe42MxSwTD5idMjHRHFz5kR9PQtjpC4CFwHvVoq_E6qEt6LrP4qXZD6mAUEHQqZTrQGCcB6gFdoPC-vvdbPXGkYyp4K8Qx5rrM=w2400

Our breakfast was about as good as you can get at the airport. Nothing fancy but it hit the spot. Even if it was super early, there seemed to be a bit of a buzz in the airport. Maybe it was just us but it created some excitement for an otherwise mundane task of flying for several hours.

By the time we finished, our flight was nearing it's boarding time. We wandered to our gate to find what we thought was a very welcome sight
WtZC-KTfkvQLtz8nYIcWt2ocBRlpWFlRMm35An8KDbV8GqdLO3p3GpnbOtUSvWhIA54CbhR5SYoW4x4MtYzx6c8WV8MrBZ-bGLNNxFdr0z85UkxQbuvYBgYXwcdPF5rwREy--csl1Xs=w2400

In all our years of flying to Disney destinations, we've never been on one of the Disney planes that WestJet operates. It was definitely a sign!

The boarding process was fairly straightforward. People made their way to their seats and we were ready to get this journey started!
l40subZthyb3VXRA-OvTnOjmFY3JyemyoAsaF6rkwqy7B__mSecxa_qA7qE7m8JOEoa64qDWleJLNou75GYn2ccgGr6mXbl_565wLrcy28iUBXdePJVrpH7avjivqNK-P8AAHOh7axI=w2400

Never have we been more excited to feel those wheels leave the ground!

The trip was officially underway and so is this report! I'm very much looking forward to sharing what ended up being a jammed-packed few days with you all!

Thanks in advance for following along!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster

Following!
We are Canadians as well and craving some Disney time…
Hoping your experience will convince us to make it happen sooner than later!

I enjoyed following you guys on instagram and looking forward to more details here!

Following along!!

I'm here and following!

Yay looking forward to hearing the details of your trip. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you all for following! I guess I better get on with the report.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
The flight from Edmonton Vancouver is just over an hour and it was about as smooth as possible. When we arrived in YVR, we made the long walk from our gate to the US departures terminal. We figured this would be an interesting process as this would be the first time we went through US customs since COVID hit.

We got through security really quickly but we had to wait for quite some time to ensure our checked luggage was scanned through for our next flight and on its way to the plane. Must have taken close to 30-45 minutes for that to happen but when we finally did get the go-ahead, there were no lines at the customs agents whatsoever so we were up in no time.

I expected a bit of a grilling from the customs agent but he was terrific. Asked about where we were going and then a bunch of follow-up questions about Disney as it sounded like he wanted to plan a trip for his family. Not one single COVID question before he stamped our passport and sent us on our way.

Even with the long wait for the luggage, we had enough layover time to comfortably get to our next get and settle in for a few minutes before boarding. Before the gate was opened, we were called to the front desk to hand in our CDC attestation form and were asked by the gate agent if we had our negative results and vaccine status. She didn't look at them but did take the entry form required for any international traveler coming to the US.

The flight boarded shortly after and we were on our way to LAX!

The flight was just over 2 hours and we landed right around 1:30pm. As we were about to touch down I spotted the new SOFI Stadium. Super close to the airport and it looks amazing!
OjYzzmGAhFAYbC9HOilm3Clfho0MrDdlbvqm8wUsF1Rb-7k-vsiUJN_E_xnR2ZysBIw0zeVgRBWtaCa3zM65H8dWaZYoKKb1D8A8KqzKKJ60tvGuSczu-xh-jOpOZBcChtRDNnQgiYE=w2400

LAX is a different animal. Certainly compared to airports in Canada but even to MCO, a place we are very familiar with. The place was packed, super busy, dimly lit, and not overly welcoming! We tried to hustle as quickly as we could to the baggage carousel as our shuttle driver was already in the area waiting to pick us up.

We had lined up a curbside shuttle pick up through LAX Curbside Express. I wasn't sure what to expect from the service but from the minute I turned on my cell phone after touching down, to the time our driver picked us up, I was very impressed with the company. Our driver found us right outside the exit doors, helped us into the van, and whisked us to the freeway to take us to Anaheim.

Ore driver, Eric, was a fantastic guy. Super friendly, very courteous, and easy to talk to. He thought it might take us just over an hour to get to the hotel but thankfully traffic was "relatively" light for LA and we got to Anaheim within about 45 minutes. Eric was very curious about Canada and how COVID was going in our country. We exchanged stories about our families and our trips to Disney. It helped make the drive pass that much quicker.

We arrived at the Fairfield Inn Anaheim, just across from Disneyland Resort, shortly after 3:30 pm. We said our goodbyes to Eric, gave him a big tip, and made our way to the front desk to check-in. By this point, we were pumped. Literally right across the street, we could see several rides and we wanted to get to our room to change and head over to experience it for ourselves.

As we walked to our room on the 5th floor, we realized we had a great park view which would be super great if we wanted to watch the fireworks from the balcony one night.
Lb1U31Nn6WDwLi6KJazpRPKEXItsrjYsp_xVFIx-lApD2AQ0ODcGRMHmJdK-OcZYBwxVnCg6MB8RndzAaOmkPoOWAkzu8LXpUJoQPUVDOL-f2X05_tgNGIarsXd6Sdee69ER_oRn5eQ=w2400

The room itself was perfect for what we needed. Nice a spacious. Lots of light. Nice big bed to crash in at night. Nothing too fancy but couldn't ask for more for the two of us. Would have been a great space if we had the kids as well. The hotel made a terrific first impression. Great location, but still far enough off the main road for a little more peace and quiet from the traffic. Nice pool, solid rooms. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a good deal and a close hotel.
H4aOkVZOmVJFyX2FUshrMD56kTNXWPFmbbNZQpJXuupR7-Y1yOlYiTZQt7PtFf9yAGgE3vv98Lt1B_pni1oBKVVWAA_sf5ZPYgTOSj43rIDUc6NRD7fZqlHFpdOnMRh8BWevD59d870=w2400
MZe3AMxw0J4W7ipqtuRH44BU5-pqoPyJu3xEJ-7P7CXk4aeKFqQBe3pioZxBW1OCb57ZtzigWi8H92W1uvzs9LrtQnen27D_tQf05AkWzwO1ocT9ncS7DrQuEanLSnAjRQXpN399aY0=w2400
D_1kugZy0u3Cwi95lUQ9a1rQVYNCUcO8pv79GVpF0otkFfTUMIjbQ2-VxXJnNlkg4SX_47IymqjoocPsNlxKeq867564fYLqoHNXNZsYnGAGqVM18I5teQaJzDDy0RK2lVUeG8QYLNU=w2400

After spending a few minutes putting our luggage away and changing our clothes, Kelly and I were off to make the quick walk to the main gates and start enjoying the parks! One of the really nice things about Disneyland is how close you can stay to the main gates. Yes, you trade that feeling of being in the Disney Bubble for convenience, but it is pretty awesome being able to spend less than 15 minutes walking to get from your room to the gates of both parks.

And, of course, a lot of signage to get you ready!
F2hXRqZQKMI9Jvc32MHkLs3pKWZnrJQT_Gq27xPPgsJI4djfIHft7uvQFbjKwYZhcPMmZc7HiOVfY08cua21vmqAJT2eYKm0Aru-L0qN_rSHK7pm7TL9luKs7PreV6KF2uuXhJmaSsg=w2400

We had officially made it!
5D3eFuzmdLelIkKCAVOBKBayDjwSoWxUM4s-YF5y5M65SvG08q67w-TeOXazizLQGn9GQsIyMqebQ7YYwAcO3ITOm2iSfRTj9urk5FcyGsY3diErnqGkjmicJ4d7C9ptlVS0KxdXxeE=w2400
cxDLCmP47JF3Iu89IxHzkSger9clfvPhlVCLMYSJt5oKoDc30MT3DeCBEwiCrcfVIPex2WFAWBhld77RDKaCJ4ln7r2IoSXmi3C2t_Vm3bW___-8taGUjgyboZ5rF-AEkbrC-dwXO1M=w2400
mO2Q_24WAl8LonlTkjFlvE8cQUpT1GQxxqo8SRBVia7Ff2daGFlfwgK6pN8viPxpaPLzZRuw6ExYYxg0zDk3A3wV35-KPiO9jMUcBpa3DECAu2LkP4Azl0AaZKHIqw98ThBUoNVMMww=w2400

Upon scanning the QR code on my phone at the main gate of DCA, the Cast Member took our photos and handed us physical tickets to use for the rest of the trip.
BcmuzYaA11a3CkaEdzSddQVzkTs9kQxwO7B2vbDAtqVTMweAOq6VvEhRS6lyGdz0ri6GB2Cx1_3chbhzr1ejQzfN6bs9Fba0MQftrslXdXXn5UaW7KotNL1OV6xa2XDws6TqWzT0pk0=w2400

We couldn't believe it. We were actually inside a Disney park. Something that didn't seem possible given the situation we've been facing. I can't speak for Kelly, but I was beyond excited to just stop for a moment upon entering the park to look around, listen to the entrance loop and soak it in. What a feeling to be back in Disney!
iE3STTm_PwyXx_FlIBmA9f-tOC3GcTQWrLFnoViJf95B692oOA_ookwU2OcMly-FE9SI78krr3k1Z0_qqMBPV1QvIlnoI3BWf43v4YjriS3TxfFbQW6IPbkBPETZ7kGrqMTEHtRplNM=w2400

Last edited:

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Also, as you can see from the photos, the weather was immaculate the entire trip.

Rarely was there a cloud in the sky. Mornings were so calm and somewhat cool. Made it easy to knock out a lot before lunch.

Afternoons were SCORCHING hot but seemed more manageable without the Florida humidity.

Evenings were absolutely gorgeous. Couldn’t ask for better weather the entire time

erstwo

We got through security really quickly but we had to wait for quite some time to ensure our checked luggage was scanned through for our next flight and on its way to the plane. Must have taken close to 30-45 minutes for that to happen
Do you always have the long luggage transfer times for international flights up there? It seems to be my experience every time I connect in Canada. I’ve spent too much time in those weird waiting rooms between my arrival flight and my departure flight. 😂 Once, on the way home from Israel - after a ten night work trip - it took so long for my luggage to transfer it made me miss my connection and forced me to stay overnight (when all I wanted was to get home and see my kids)
To make matters worse, I couldn’t even get my luggage. It had to be sent on the next flight home without me! 😭
Anyway - back to the point - following along and excited to hear about your trip!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Do you always have the long luggage transfer times for international flights up there? It seems to be my experience every time I connect in Canada. I’ve spent too much time in those weird waiting rooms between my arrival flight and my departure flight. 😂 Once, on the way home from Israel - after a ten night work trip - it took so long for my luggage to transfer it made me miss my connection and forced me to stay overnight (when all I wanted was to get home and see my kids)
To make matters worse, I couldn’t even get my luggage. It had to be sent on the next flight home without me! 😭
Anyway - back to the point - following along and excited to hear about your trip!

Honestly, this is only the second time I can recall sitting in that little room waiting for luggage to transfer. The first time was when flying to WDW for the Marathon in 2020. That was through Toronto and it didn't seem to take very long as far as I recall.

I'm willing to wager that some of the delays (at least what we experienced) are likely due in part to short staffing thanks to COVID. I'll touch on this a bit later but we had an awful time trying to get home and ended up missing our connecting flight because of the lack of ground staff available at the airport we flew into from LA.

At any rate...thanks for following!

PolynesianPrincess

Following!!

We had a Disneyland trip planned for last fall and sadly had to cancel it. Your pics are making me excited to head back west, hopefully this coming spring!!

Glad to hear you had an easy transfer from the airport! We're going to be using transfers as well. Super Shuttle used to be really cheap but since Uber and Lyft, they don't really do the shared vans anymore, which is a bummer because it was CHEAP!! I'll have to check into the company you used!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Following!!

We had a Disneyland trip planned for last fall and sadly had to cancel it. Your pics are making me excited to head back west, hopefully this coming spring!!

Glad to hear you had an easy transfer from the airport! We're going to be using transfers as well. Super Shuttle used to be really cheap but since Uber and Lyft, they don't really do the shared vans anymore, which is a bummer because it was CHEAP!! I'll have to check into the company you used!
Thanks for following! Sorry to hear about your trip but hopefully you'll be able to make it back soon. It was so nice being back at DLR.

As for the shuttle, we looked at pretty much every option. We've used Super Shuttle before, usually with the shared option because of the price, but with that no longer being something we wanted to consider, we had to look elsewhere. For an extra $20 (or so) on top of what the Lyf cost us back to the airport, I highly recommend this company. Super convenient.

Sorry I'm....

Jimmy Fallon Hello GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

We're getting married in 3 weeks and trying to get all the last minute details taken care of has put me behind in my trip report reading! Happy to be following along!

Welcome aboard! And no need to apologize...how exciting for you guys! I hope the day goes just as you imagine it.

With the way I am adding to the report, expect the next post sometime around your honeymoon! 😂

krisri18

Thanks for following! Sorry to hear about your trip but hopefully you'll be able to make it back soon. It was so nice being back at DLR.

As for the shuttle, we looked at pretty much every option. We've used Super Shuttle before, usually with the shared option because of the price, but with that no longer being something we wanted to consider, we had to look elsewhere. For an extra $20 (or so) on top of what the Lyf cost us back to the airport, I highly recommend this company. Super convenient.

Welcome aboard! And no need to apologize...how exciting for you guys! I hope the day goes just as you imagine it.

With the way I am adding to the report, expect the next post sometime around your honeymoon! 😂
Not honeymooning until the first week of May... In WDW of course! So you got time!

Spash007

Quite late, but here! I followed along on instagram, and looking forward to hearing more details as my wife and I have started talking about a possible adult trip to California with a stop of course in DL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom