To ADP or not?

mdubm

Original Poster
We live about 7.5 hours from Disney. We were just there in June, I just took a trip back myself with school for a field trip. I'm constantly dying to go but the prices are so discouraging and I'm just a measly teacher. So I'm debating getting an ADP. My questions are:
1. Aside from the park hopping, having an unlimited ticket, 20% off some food and merch, and parking, what are other perks?
2. Do you find you truly get your money's worth with it?
3. I can't afford a whole family ADP. I prob would just get for me. Do they offer a Children’s ADP for a different price? I have a 4 year old who I'd usually take with me. Is it worth it for just me to get one and no one else in my family? How do you do this?

In other words, someone please convince me it's worth it to shell out almost $800 on an ADP

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
It comes down to how often you expect to go. If you'd go three or four times per year or more, it's likely worth getting APs.

APs cost the same for all guests 3 years old and up.

As a teacher, your choices for dates are probably limited to times when room discounts are less likely to be available. Discounts are only a benefit if they're on things you'd be purchasing anyway.

AndrewsJ

I also have a question. If you get an annual pass, do you get a discount on rooms?
Sometimes. Depending on if the discount is available during your dates and only a certain number of rooms qualify for the discount. Discounts are not guaranteed and are not a reason to purchase an AP.

zengoth

it's a question we have to ask ourselves every year. It always comes down to how often in a year you will go.
I don't know how long the deeper passholder discounts will last (20%), so research.
We always tell people free parking makes it worth it, especially as we parkhop.
We also chose to get the pass with blackout dates to save money, as we don't enjoy Disney (or much else) in the dead of summer.

StarWarsGirl

The only reason, I repeat, ONLY REASON to get an AP is if you are planning to go and it will save you money on the tickets.

The rest are perks that come and go and shouldn't factor into your decision.

If you live close and plan on being there a good bit, then the AP will probably be worth it so you don't end up buying passes over and over again. It could be worth it for your four year old as well so you don't have to purchase an AP every time you take him.

EricsBiscuit

You get free parking as well. PhotoPass can also be included. I go on average once a week and recoup my $1000 every year in parking alone, not to mention discounts. It's worth it for me because the price divided by how often I go is less than the cost of parking my vehicle. But if you don't park and stay on property, and go every few months, it would be worth it to buy it just for one person. This way, you get the discounts when you pay. The only downside is that for AP specific events, your entire family would not be able to attend.

mdubm

Original Poster
How does it work when you book a vacation package? For example, we and my in laws are planning on going in June. As far as I know, the option for black out date APs doesn't exist anymore if purchasing now. We aren't FL residents. So, if we booked a vacation package with tickets and hotel stay for everyone, how would that work for me? Would I have to book separately?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
How does it work when you book a vacation package? For example, we and my in laws are planning on going in June. As far as I know, the option for black out date APs doesn't exist anymore if purchasing now. We aren't FL residents. So, if we booked a vacation package with tickets and hotel stay for everyone, how would that work for me? Would I have to book separately?
If you have an AP and everyone else is using tickets, you either have to book the same package with tickets you won't use or book an AP discounted room [if available] with no package and everybody buys tickets separately. Everyone on the same package booking has to do the same package.

You can apply the value of a ticket you don't use toward the renewal of your AP or a new one if you don't renew right away. You do have to make sure GR prioritizes your AP for use instead of the package ticket [before you enter a park].

ETA: Only FL residents have the option for the tickets with blackout dates. They wouldn't help you anyway, the blackout dates are when teachers are available to go.

Disneyfreak Jen

You also get the Memory Maker, which is $150 (?) to purchase on its own.

I live in NJ and bought an AP last year. I used it for my 8 day October 2016 OKW visit when I rented points from Davids, and I also had a 4 day trip planned 3 months after that. While I was at OKW in October, Hurricane Matthew arrived and since my flight was cancelled and rebooked for another day, I got 2 extra"free" days in the park.

I then booked another 4 day trip in the spring for Flower & Garden.

Last year I was able to find good/decent prices out of EWR and pair that with AP hotel discounts so my decision to have the pass mae sense. Look into other airports too....even though I usually fly out of Bewark I also have gone out of Atlantic City and have considered Stewart, Allentown, and Trenton. Be open to other airports.

That being said I did not renew it this year. I have a new job and other things going on and won't be getting to the World until Fall 2018. I'm unsure if I'm going to get a pass for that trip or not. Depends on if I can see myself getting back there for at least another 4 park days.

Disneyfreak Jen

Remember that you also get the dedicated AP entrance line , which gets you in a little faster as the line is shorter than the regular line. (If they are still doing thiS...as of May '17 they were)

POLY LOVER

Remember you can always get the cheaper version if the higher tier is not doable. You may also find with the AP you will want to stay for more days at a time, this will definitely make it worth it.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

We go 3 times a year and that spend about 23-25 days a year there and we always get AP's. We also get the DVC discount on them but I think they'd be worth it even if we didn't as long as we spend that much time there. The one thing that annoys me about the AP prices though is the fact that our little girl is not even close to being able to ride everything yet and we still have to pay full price for hers. I really wish they would do a pass for when your kids obviously aren't big enough for everything. We also get Tables in Wonderland but don't drink alcohol and I really wish they would make a version of it that doesn't apply to alcohol because the price of it went up in the last year or so as well. Although if they're gonna keep the AP discount at 20% then won't that negate the need for TIW going forward? I know they've said the 20% is just temporary but they recently extended it didn't they?

danyoung56

The only reason, I repeat, ONLY REASON to get an AP is if you are planning to go and it will save you money on the tickets.

The rest are perks that come and go and shouldn't factor into your decision.

I just so disagree with this. If you are paying attention and doing your research online, you'll see when discounts are released, and can usually score a pretty good rate. There is also the perk of being able to purchase a Tables in Wonderland card, which gives 20% off of all table service locations and some quick service ones, INCLUDING ALCOHOL! And yes, it can save you money on tickets if you go more than once in a year.

parkhopper1213

I've been a passholder for 3 years now, before that I would buy package deals. We get the passes that do not have the waterpark option. Here's what I can tell you. 2- one week trips a year and the passes pay for themselves. In the past, we would go for a week and buy a 5 day pass. Maybe I'd extend it, or we'd find something else to do. Now, we can be in the parks as long as we want. If we fly in that morning, we are in the parks that afternoon. Or if we have a flight late in the day, we'll go to the park in the morning.
The merchandise and food discounts add up after a week. Maybe I'd save about $30-50. Free parking at $20 a day is a big perk.

Dave B

We live about 7.5 hours from Disney. We were just there in June, I just took a trip back myself with school for a field trip. I'm constantly dying to go but the prices are so discouraging and I'm just a measly teacher. So I'm debating getting an ADP. My questions are:
1. Aside from the park hopping, having an unlimited ticket, 20% off some food and merch, and parking, what are other perks?
2. Do you find you truly get your money's worth with it?
3. I can't afford a whole family ADP. I prob would just get for me. Do they offer a Children’s ADP for a different price? I have a 4 year old who I'd usually take with me. Is it worth it for just me to get one and no one else in my family? How do you do this?

In other words, someone please convince me it's worth it to shell out almost $800 on an ADP
So I am aware I am going to get killed by everyone on this, but my "3 year old" was "Disney 3" until they were like 5 or 6, I was NEVER questioned on it at all, yes, theoretically it is lying and wrong, but we spend so much when we go, I can personally justify it and feel good about it, the young kids sleep half the day as it is, just my two cents, get the AP for yourself and bring your 4 year old with you until he/she is big enough not to look that age, in fact we use the same tactic on Southwest with family boarding, suppose to be for 6 or 7 and younger we still used it in March and our kids are 11 and 13 now, although my 11 was a lot shorter in March until she grew this summer, probably cant do the airport thing any longer, go ahead and take your shots, I'm ready

Dave B

So you would book the package for everyone in the family BUT you, so family of four, you book for 3 people, you just stay in the room with your family, YOU WILL NOT HAVE a magic band that gets you in the room, but you use your kids band who are probably with you the entire time anyway, again I am going to probably get killed here for giving you this BAD adice

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom