Tips to actually enjoy Disney World...

acishere

1. Find a quiet place for yourself. When with family non-stop all day, either mid-day during a brief hotel break or late at night I just need some quiet time away somewhere to regain some sanity.

2. Don't be afraid to be spontaneous. Some people who hold to their Disney battle-plan extremely strictly always looks like they are having much less fun than I am. Plus when I'm with people who are like that the whole trip I keep needing #1 more.

3. Don't picture Jimmy Thick in a speedo :hurl:

dreamscometrue

Get to know cast members. Talk to them like they are human beings and not just employees there to serve you. We love chatting with cast members and asking a bit about them. It's so interesting meeting people from all over the world who work there. And I can tell you that the vast majority certainly enjoy a pleasant conversation.

During our last 5 trips, we've taken along several dozen lapel pins from our city here in Canada (get them from City Hall), and given them out to CMs who we have particularly enjoyable conversations with. Sometimes they are so happy they are near tears. Last time, as we were walking away we overheard our CM tell another that we made his week. Little gestures can make a huge difference.

Btw, I've read on boards about rude CMs, but I've run into very few in many, many trips to WDW. I'm so happy to be at WDW, I always approach with a smile, and always get one back. I can honestly say that for every rude CM, I see about 100 crazy rude guests!. :)

CaptainShortty

Get to know cast members. Talk to them like they are human beings and not just employees there to serve you. We love chatting with cast members and asking a bit about them. It's so interesting meeting people from all over the world who work there. And I can tell you that the vast majority certainly enjoy a pleasant conversation.

During our last 5 trips, we've taken along several dozen lapel pins from our city here in Canada (get them from City Hall), and given them out to CMs who we have particularly enjoyable conversations with. Sometimes they are so happy they are near tears. Last time, as we were walking away we overheard our CM tell another that we made his week. Little gestures can make a huge difference.

Btw, I've read on boards about rude CMs, but I've run into very few in many, many trips to WDW. I'm so happy to be at WDW, I always approach with a smile, and always get one back. I can honestly say that for every rude CM, I see about 100 crazy rude guests!. :)

I love that you stop and chat and the pin idea is just fantastic! From the other side it is GREAT to get guests that love to chat with us and learn about us. Most of us truly love the place and will talk for hours about it so you may just learn something new. And that pin truly did make our day! It shows that all we do doesn't go to waste and makes us want to make more magic.

To add to that, if we see something you like, tell a manager or supervisor. We get cards that go on our record that shows were a good CM that can work in our favor for promotions. Also, if you see something wrong, tell someone. A CM, or manager because it WILL get fixed. But it can't get fixed if we don't know it exists. Disney thrives on fixing people's problems. So tell us (calmly and rationally) what's wrong. Don't come on these boards and tell everyone.

As for my tips to enjoying the parks, truly take time to enjoy the magic. It's everywhere and people tend to not stop and see it for what it is. I once had the pleasure of just going into MK for an entire afternoon and just walking around (The perks of being a CM). I didn't ride anything or watch any shows. I just walked into the stores and sat and watched people. It was fantastic. There are so many things to explore you wouldn't believe it.

Also, don't let little things ruin your day or your trip. In the grand scheme of things, a half hour waiting for a monorail stinks but it's not the end of the world. Enjoy it for what it's worth and spend some extra time just watching people or the entrance to the park.

stlbobby

I love getting a haircut at the barbershop on Main Street USA. It is a great way to relax and the atmosphere is always fun.

I also like taking a nice run through Downtown Disney early in the morning. The music is playing there are no crowds, just the occasional maintenance person with a smile. It's a relaxing wonderful morning.

There are also a ton of places to just sit and relax or cuddle with someone special. Some of my favorites are the beach at The Polynesian, the gazebo on the lake at Saratoga Springs looking at the lights of Downtown Disney, or just wandering through the All-Stars.

Just relax and don't try and "do it all" just do enjoy what you're doing.

Fantasmic

I love to go on all the rides and see how many people I can elbow in the face...

I also love going on the jungle cruise with a framed photo of King Louie, y'know, just for old time's sake.

:king:

360rico1

:roflol::roflol::roflol:
i completely agree. Great to see a positive thread! My tip...

Wear a speedo wherever you go! (as a water polo player it's completely normal for my brother and i) so we like to wonder around caribbean beach pool in them. Just for a good laugh! :eek:

(don't judge me)

mrsdanalind

Amid all the popular negativity about burnt out lightbulbs, chipped paint, and how uncared for the parks have become, even though I have not seen it myself, but I digress, this thread was created for people who actually try to have fun at the parks and enjoy themselves and their families, and to provide little fun tips for people who just can't break away from how horrible Disney World has become.

One of my favorite tips for fun is to head over to Blizzard Beach with your family and just run the Toboggan Racers for an hour or so, and rub it in their faces when you win. It brings out some pretty heated, yet completely harmless competition with the people you love the most. And just to rouse my fellow Disney World visitors, if people not in my family are racing against us, I always make sure to tell them Iam undefeated, just to get them involved, and it totally becomes a great time.

My husband and our kids have a running "bet" about who is going to win in air hocky( the loser has to eat a turkey leg). We actually can get some cm's and other guests involved and cheering on their "favorites". LOL. It gets noisy and fun, and when we are on the bus it's a great conversation starter. I still have to figure out who has to eat the turkey leg, but as long as it's not me.... I'm just saying. :eek::lol:
A great time at Disney World? Who would have thought it possible?

Any other tips to help the negative?

Jimmy Thick-I won't even mention how fantastic I look in a Speedo!!!

My husband and our kids have a running "bet" about who is going to win in air hocky( the loser has to eat a turkey leg). We actually can get some cm's and other guests involved and cheering on their "favorites". LOL. It gets noisy and fun, and when we are on the bus it's a great conversation starter. I still have to figure out who has to eat the turkey leg, but as long as it's not me.... I'm just saying. :eek::lol We also have been known to start or join in singalongs on the rides home, helps everyone relax after a day in the parks and it's a great way to meet other guests especially the next day when we're waiting for a bus to somewhere and someone comes up and says "Hey weren't you the ones who... " We just plain have fun.

dreamscometrue

I love that you stop and chat and the pin idea is just fantastic! From the other side it is GREAT to get guests that love to chat with us and learn about us.

We already have letters prepared for our next trip to go along with the pins thanking the CMs for all they do. :)

Btw, we stayed at Kidani and AKL both during our Spring Break trip (early March Spring Break where we are in Canada). Perhaps you were working at AKL while we were there, and we actually met. If so, it's a small world (after all).:ROFLOL:

CaptainShortty

We already have letters prepared for our next trip to go along with the pins thanking the CMs for all they do. :)

Btw, we stayed at Kidani and AKL both during our Spring Break trip (early March Spring Break where we are in Canada). Perhaps you were working at AKL while we were there, and we actually met. If so, it's a small world (after all).:ROFLOL:

Fantastic, I love it! And unfortunately it couldn't have been me because I was only a DAKL CM from January - May 2010 (as a College Program Intern) but I'm so happy you had a great experience there!! I'm sure some of my friends that you met enjoyed talking to you!! And, that would have been quite a small world indeed. :)

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
My husband and our kids have a running "bet" about who is going to win in air hocky( the loser has to eat a turkey leg). We actually can get some cm's and other guests involved and cheering on their "favorites". LOL. It gets noisy and fun, and when we are on the bus it's a great conversation starter. I still have to figure out who has to eat the turkey leg, but as long as it's not me.... I'm just saying. :eek::lol We also have been known to start or join in singalongs on the rides home, helps everyone relax after a day in the parks and it's a great way to meet other guests especially the next day when we're waiting for a bus to somewhere and someone comes up and says "Hey weren't you the ones who... " We just plain have fun.

LOL!!!

I can totally relate to the air hockey thing, I used to totally destroy my wife at air hockey any chance I got, and the one time she beat me she told everyone in the arcade and the CM's started ribbing me and congratulating my wife. While it was a simple thing, it was a completely magical moment.

Another tip?

Grab your spouse's butte every time they sit down for an attraction.

Jimmy Thick-So many great tips, Disney World still might have some magic left...

JIMINYCR

Look UP, theres so much to see, starting with the Main Street windows at MK. Take your time as you stroll up Main street and read the ads on the windows, each one has a connection, meaning to a Disney legend. I found a book, Windows on Main Street by Chuck Snyder that explains all.
Other interesting, comical windows are all around DHS also. Also found all over DHS is the comical signs found in doorways listing fictional tenants.
Next look Up to take in all the interesting architectural styles found all around you in every park. It forces you to slow down and see things you normally would overlook.

puntagordabob

While there are many legitimate things people are discussing on these boards that TDO needs to address... there are a ton of really magical places in WDW that are magical to me that are not the "commonly quoted" ones....here are a few that come to mind:

1. Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room (later this year) starring Jose and his flock..... I know I am NOT Stacy from the Resort TV channel program BUT THIS IS the Magic Kingdom's #1 MUST SEE! :)

2. Sitting anywhere within the Grand Canyon Concourse at the CR and enjoy the ambiance (also a great place to watch the monorail!).... be sure to have lunch at the Contempo Cafe too while you are here...and if you like burgers I believe this CS serves the best burgers on property.

3. Walk the Boardwalk (day or night though more to see at night) at the Boardwalk Resort. Be sure to find a nice bench and watch the Friendship boats and enjoy the view.

4. Find a bench and park yourself along the shores of the World Showcase Lagoon.

5. Walk the path between the Contemporary Resort and the Magic Kingdom... enjoy the sounds of the MK area which include a monorail passing overhead...a ferry watercraft blowing their horns...and the train whistles from the MK.

6. Take in the view of Main Street USA from the second floor of the train station.

7. Watch the Flag Ceremony at the MK. They always honor a verteran Guest to participate in the ceremony or if you or a member of your party are a veteran go to the City Hall immediately upon MK's opening and try to volunteer.

8. Get lost on purpose exploring at the Animal Kingdom on one of the many side trails.

9. Take a walk around the hospitality house area of the Old Key West resort....if it is a comfortable weather day (IE: not africa hot) have a bite to eat at the CS outside there....

10. Talk to a random Cast Member and try to make THEIR day Magical.....they are the Unsung heroes at WDW in my opinion. If you succeed I know as you walk away YOU will feel filled with a little more Magic yourself!

Anyways hope this list was enjoyable.....

figment's bud

Ride the TTA (Tomorrowland Transit Authority)! Such a great and relaxing ride in the MK and you can ride it as much as you want. You get to see all of tomorrowland and people watch while sitting down and enjoying the breeze.

forevermickey

Another simple, yet fun tip.

Just chill out and watch the fountain at Epcot, it really puts on an amazing show and on a hot day, that mist feels really good.

Jimmy Thick-Watching the fountain in a Speedo?

yes! I did this last trip! I have become a big fan of this fountain and the beautiful piece of music that accompanys it!

Mr mom

Make sure you plan your trip to be long enough to do all that you want to do, so that you do not have to rush for any reason. I love just taking in the atmosphere. I also like the pin idea, I may have to do just that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom