1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips on Shooting Dark Rides

Discussion in 'Photography and Video' started by fractal, Jul 19, 2017.

1. fractal

fractal Premium Member

doing some videos on youtube with a focus on photo tips at Disney. Feedback would be welcome!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    MonorailRed and Clamman73 like this.
  2. thomas998

thomas998 Well-Known Member

I would add that you need to turn your focus assist light off, it can be as annoying as a flash.

You might also suggest that people shoot in raw as it allows your post processing to bring in some detail that you will miss if your just using a jpeg.

Might also suggest people do test shots at home to see how high they can really go with their ISO. I know that while my camera will shoot 25,600 it is completely unusable, and while a high ISO of 6400 might look fine in a well lit area it may look like poop when its used in low light... so people should do tests to see the limitations of their camera before they go.

fractal likes this.
  3. fractal

fractal Original Poster Premium Member

Good advise, thanks!

I considered discussing raw vs jpeg but that opens up a big can of worms - my son is editing these (with a heavy hand I might add) and wants to keep them at around 5 minutes. I on the other hand want to talk more camera geek stuff so this has been a big point of contention between us.

My test shooting in the video was much darker than any dark ride. I shot auto ISO at f/1.8 with a full frame sensor and ended up at 12,800. I know I won't be that high in WDW. But always a good idea to take test shots first.

Also wanted to discuss metering and AF setting - perhaps when I get to WDW.