Tips on Shooting Dark Rides

thomas998

I would add that you need to turn your focus assist light off, it can be as annoying as a flash.

You might also suggest that people shoot in raw as it allows your post processing to bring in some detail that you will miss if your just using a jpeg.

Might also suggest people do test shots at home to see how high they can really go with their ISO. I know that while my camera will shoot 25,600 it is completely unusable, and while a high ISO of 6400 might look fine in a well lit area it may look like poop when its used in low light... so people should do tests to see the limitations of their camera before they go.

fractal

Original Poster
I would add that you need to turn your focus assist light off, it can be as annoying as a flash.

You might also suggest that people shoot in raw as it allows your post processing to bring in some detail that you will miss if your just using a jpeg.

Might also suggest people do test shots at home to see how high they can really go with their ISO. I know that while my camera will shoot 25,600 it is completely unusable, and while a high ISO of 6400 might look fine in a well lit area it may look like poop when its used in low light... so people should do tests to see the limitations of their camera before they go.

Good advise, thanks!

I considered discussing raw vs jpeg but that opens up a big can of worms - my son is editing these (with a heavy hand I might add) and wants to keep them at around 5 minutes. I on the other hand want to talk more camera geek stuff so this has been a big point of contention between us.

My test shooting in the video was much darker than any dark ride. I shot auto ISO at f/1.8 with a full frame sensor and ended up at 12,800. I know I won't be that high in WDW. But always a good idea to take test shots first.

Also wanted to discuss metering and AF setting - perhaps when I get to WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom