Tips for tipping please!!

Phonedave

I didnt want to get pulled into this thread but here it goes. I was in the restaurant business for 20 years , 5 of which as the GM of a NJ IHOP. I know for a fact that servers are taxed based upon the percentage of their sales. so if they start out at $2.13/hr and sell $1000 in food ,the government is going to estimate they made a approximately $120.00( or 12%) in tips. so when they get their paychecks, for 40 hours they are taxed at that estimated income. My servers know they had a good week when their paycheck was $0.00(we never had them go negative)

Now I don't know how Europe does it but considering we had 15 servers per shift and all were getting paid $2.13. Now that is 120 hours or $255/ per shift to pay server salary. If we had to pay the servers(not to mention bus boys) their regualar pay, which for a good server was at least 10-15/hr, that would cost us $1200-$1500/shift. That $7.00 omlette will now cost you $10.00 for the convenience of not having to tip.

I would much rather pay the $7.00 for the omlette and pay my tip which will be based on the servers ability and hospitality.

If you keep track of all your income, then at the end of the year you are taxed on your actual income, and any difference is refunded to you.

-dave

njDizFan

They get minimum wage for a minimum wage level job. It requires very minimal skill and they are instantly replaceable. No offense to anyone, and I have been there, but that's how it is. It isn't my job as a customer of an establishment to up your hourly pay. ALOT of people deserve tips, and I give them, but I don;t like the guilt trip and the pushiness that I HAVE to tip you or you'll only get minimum wage.
Is minimum wage too low? Probably. But plenty of folks make minimum and we don't feel obligated to up their pay. Maybe garbage men should get a weekly tip for their service, or else it isn't fair cause they don't make enough and they take my refuse away weekly. Maybe the mailman should be tipped for daily service. Maybe the grocery bagger should be tipped....or the cashier, or the fast food window server.....
I would never say that it was an extremely skilled job but on the other hand it definately isn't something you could walk right in and do. Most people dont understnd that serving has many skill levels. Obviously fine dining requires rigourous menu training as well as daily meeting about specials, wine pairing, tasting the new items etc..This is an actual carreer and people want proffesional when you are paying $100+/plate
But even family style restaurants servers require a good deal of training. they should have a full knowledge of the menu as well as being able to take your order input through the POS system, what questions to ask when customers order(sides, temp etc.). Not to mention the ability to organize several tables(get the food,take theorder drop the check, get refills..)
Really, I'm just giving some incite. The job does not require a rocket scientist but not everyone can do it. It does require some organizational skills and for any busy restaurant at least 3 months of experience prior to a busy shift.

njDizFan

If you keep track of all your income, then at the end of the year you are taxed on your actual income, and any difference is refunded to you.

-dave
Most of the time the actual income is higher than the estimated income. But since it's a cash business you can claim your tip income to be whatever you want

Johnnypockets

That's just not so. If it is you were scammed by the owner of the restaurant. Federal law is you get minimum wage no matter what. You don't get negative on taxes (I'll bet you even get money back at the end of the year).

Your statement is incorrect. Here is a link pertaining to Federal minimum wage in restaurants.
http://www.restaurant.org/legal/law_minwage.cfm

What is the current federal minimum wage?
Restaurants covered by federal minimum wage law (a.k.a. the Fair Labor Standards Act, or FLSA) are required to pay hourly employees at least $6.55 an hour, and tipped employees a cash wage of at least $2.13 an hour.

Significantly lower than the garbage man huh?

Johnnypockets

I tell my friends who complain about their job (food service or not)...don't like what your job pays you? quit and find another job. or go back to school and find a better paying one after.

~G

p.s. Yes I did work in the food service industry from dish washer to server.

If you make less than minimum wage because you don't get tips, it is legally required that you get paid the difference to at least make sure you're paid minimum wage. and if that happens, you'll probably get coached for having poor customer service which would be the only reason why you'd get tipped nothing all the time to make your pay somehow less than min wage.
The thing is everyone gets at least minimum wage or more..if most servers (at low and medium end restaurants) got paid at least minimum wage..in addition to tips. There would be no reason to get an education to find a better paying job. Being a server at Denny's is considered a "starter" position to get you through college or whatever for a reason.

~G
I am not complaining about how much money I make in the industry. In fact I am quite proud of the fact that I bring home around the same amount in a 4 hour shift than the average hourly or salary employee does in 8. But there are common misunderstandings in the public eye of the profession, That I do feel need to be pointed out.

After I finished my degree at FAU I was offered employment with several county and city police departments and after crunching the numbers I soon realized that I was better off staying in the restaurant industry. I would be working less hours(important for me because I have a young daughter),making more money, and with a good 20 year IRA have a better retirement. The statement of going back to school and finding a better job is not always the truth. I've seen numerous servers struggle through college just to finish and take a big pay cut.

sublimesting

Your statement is incorrect. Here is a link pertaining to Federal minimum wage in restaurants.
http://www.restaurant.org/legal/law_minwage.cfm

What is the current federal minimum wage?
Restaurants covered by federal minimum wage law (a.k.a. the Fair Labor Standards Act, or FLSA) are required to pay hourly employees at least $6.55 an hour, and tipped employees a cash wage of at least $2.13 an hour.

Significantly lower than the garbage man huh?

If you read the whole link it states that they then apply your tipped earnings toward the balance to get you to minimum wage of $6.55/hour. It then says "In all cases, an employer may take the tip credit only to the extent that employees actually receive that much in tips. "

Therefore, you do NOT lose money or owe out anything. You get minimum wage. What you mean to say is you depend on tips for a HIGHER WAGE than minimum, which is the point I am trying to make.

WDWNooby

Thank you for making this post...I was getting ready to post these questions myself. I was specifically wondering about the Magical Express Driver...looks like Mousekeeping, Magical Express, Bell Persons, AND servers will be getting tipped on this trip.

KingStefan

Threads on tipping often deteriorate quickly to arguments over how waiters get paid. As much as I hate to propagate the discussion along these lines, there are just a few things I feel compelled to say.
... Being a server at Denny's is considered a "starter" position to get you through college or whatever for a reason.

~G
That is just really insensitive. There are plenty of people who have a career of serving in restaurants like Denny's, and I'm sure this is offensive to them.
If you read the whole link it states that they then apply your tipped earnings toward the balance to get you to minimum wage of $6.55/hour. It then says "In all cases, an employer may take the tip credit only to the extent that employees actually receive that much in tips. "

Therefore, you do NOT lose money or owe out anything. You get minimum wage. What you mean to say is you depend on tips for a HIGHER WAGE than minimum, which is the point I am trying to make.
Sure, if a tip is added to a credit or debit card, then an employer can see exactly what the waiter gets. But for people who pay in cash, or pay with a card and leave a tip in cash, the employer is allowed (or required, actually) to estimate the tip. IIUC, usually this is estimated at 12% of sales. So if you leave a cash tip of less than 12% of sales, you are shtupping your waiter, because you have just tipped less than the amount of tip credit that the employer can take.

OK, sorry to propagate the OT posts, but back to the OPs original question.

I tip not only based on level and quality of service, but also on my opinion of how hard a waiter is trying. For example, if our waiter is a young man or woman who is clearly inexperienced, and they appear to be working hard but make a few mistakes, and apologize sincerely, that waiter is going to get a nice tip. Conversely, if a waiter appears to be well experienced, doesn't pay a lot of attention to us, chats up the bartender instead of refilling my water, etc., even if there are fewer mistakes, and not so much as even "I'm sorry that took so long", or blames stuff on the kitchen staff, that waiter is going to get a smaller tip than the one above.

And that's another point, waiters, don't try to blame stuff on the kitchen staff or anyone else. You are my interface with the rest of the staff. In that sense you are the manager of my service. If something else is going on in the restaurant - problems with bussing, short on bartenders, manager is being a jerk, kitchen is getting orders wrong - I consider it to be your job to get that fixed, or at least recover by (at a minimum) appropriate apologies, and perhaps perq's. If your manager has a problem with that, then I feel for you, but it's not really my fault, and it might be best if you looked for a different place to work, because that's just not right.

Anyway, my message to the OP is, tip what you feel is deserved, knowing that 12% just gets the waiter to minimum wage.

I rarely tip bus drivers, unless they do something special for me. If I make a special request of Mousekeeping or make a particular mess one day, then they get a little extra. Generally I don't tip Mousekeeping routinely; they are not subject to "tip credits" taken by their employer to lower their wage, so tipping is not really required or expected, but I understand how some people feel they deserve a little something each day, and that's fine. It's becoming more customary to tip the cleaning staff in this country than it has in the past, especially at vacation resorts. I never do it on business travel unless, as I've said, they do something special. And, by the way, we always get towel animals and other nice things (like decorating the window with our kids toys, etc.) even if we leave no tip at all.

At the bar, I know it's difficult for people from the UK because it's totally different. Generally, if I am sitting at the bar, I tip when I leave. Usually about the same as a restaurant: 12% for poor service (less if it is dismal), 18% for very good service, more for something special. If we are standing or sitting in an area where there is no table service, I tip as I order each drink (or round) from the bar. If there is table service and we are running a "tab", then I tip at the end, otherwise if we are paying for each drink (or round), I tip as I pay.

At a relaxed bar, if you are not running a tab, the custom is often to take some money out in the beginning and leave it on the bar, and the bartender will take out for drinks as you go along (and let you know if there is not enough!), and then you tip at the end. At a "higher end" bar, sometimes they do not want money all over the bar, and they ask you to run a tab, unless you are just having one. In that case, you pay when you are done.

I think that most other advice you've been given above by other posters has been pretty good. In any case have a magical trip!

Johnnypockets

You work for one hour at 2.13 an hour.
You have one table whose bill is 90 dollars.
The table leaves you 2 dollars cash tip.
You have to report 10% of the 90 dollars as your tip.

You made $4.13 for the hour.
You pay taxes on $11.13 for the hour.
This is where you are negative.

gspin2k1

Edit: Added more fuel to the fire. Decided it was not worth it. DELETED!

Have an awesome trip...and tip what you want..remember it's your money, you're on vacation, cast members are the ones working, just remember they are people too.

~G

CBOMB

I always tip the bus driver, boat captain, monorail driver that get me to the Parks $3, or $2 if I have to stand. I tip all the CM's at each attraction $1 each. I tip each person that smiles at me in the Parks or Resort $1, and any child not crying $5.

Princess Clayre

Just need some advice on how much and who and who not to tip please. We have always tipped when in the USA and think that we have been quite generous. I also think that Brits get a bad reputation as poor tippers, probably quite rightly and admit I have seen the I'm never coming here again so it doesn't matter brigade a few times - and often they were rude and complaining Brits. So, how much do you tip at a bar and how often(every round? when you leave etc) - also get very confused at a table in a bar - what is the etiquette here? - we are used to pubs -buy your own and sit down. Restaurants - how much and when not to tip? - we had a bad experience in New York when we had really bad service and were accosted by the waiter for a larger tip when we already left 15%.
Valet parking? How much for mousekeeping now - we always used to leave $1 per head per day then last visit upped it to $5 for the room - this year we have 2 rooms. Bell boys etc- is it $ per bag. Collecting and dropping off rental cars at the airport? Anyone else - I'm exhausted spending all this cash before I even get there!!:lol:
Thanks for your help.:wave:

Thank you for making this post...I was getting ready to post these questions myself. I was specifically wondering about the Magical Express Driver...looks like Mousekeeping, Magical Express, Bell Persons, AND servers will be getting tipped on this trip.

I'm glad this question was asked too. On our next trip there will be 7 of us, so we will fall into the 18% compulsory gratuity on table service restaurants. I thought this seems a little high but being from the UK I didn't realize this was the normal, I've only tipped about 10 to 15% in the pass :lookaroun

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Just for a little perspective on servers wages, I personally know some who make upwards of 100k a year. So they are not all so unfortunate. At most fine dining establishments, for disney purposes, the signature restaurants, those servers have made that their career and are certainly not hurting for money. I would guess a server at cali grill makes somewhere around 300-400 per night. Same for jiko or artist point. DO NOT feel bad or guilty when leaving tips for these people, they are doing just fine financially and if the service is bad, that by all means leave less of a tip. As for the smaller places, say a diner or an IHOP, then just tip the 18-20%, in most cases the difference to you is a couple dollars, but to them the difference between making 18-20% and 12% is everything. My advice is to just be a reasonable human being, and at the lower rate places accept your service will not be up to par with a high end establishment and tip accordingly.

KingStefan

I'm glad this question was asked too. On our next trip there will be 7 of us, so we will fall into the 18% compulsory gratuity on table service restaurants. I thought this seems a little high but being from the UK I didn't realize this was the normal, I've only tipped about 10 to 15% in the pass :lookaroun

Yes, I'm glad the OP posted this question, because it must be very difficult for people from the UK or Europe. I once met a bartender at Newark International AP who knew how to say "the service is NOT included" in, like, eight languages.:lol: While I was there he said it to some people apparently from the UK (in English, of course), and they were not sure whether he was scamming them, or what. They were a bit flustered, and I thought that offering advice might be embarrassing, so I just watched, and they left an appropriate amount, but still, I don't think they were sure they did the right thing.

So I appreciate how difficult it must be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom