Tips for the (Not)Free Dining Plan

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One of my daughters teachers works weekends only as a server at Disney and won't give the job up as he makes over $46,000 a year working weekends only. Believe or not most servers are earning more than I do as a social worker.

That's almost $450 a day working every weekend both days. At a high end restaurant that seems possible. Based on the posts in this thread I'm guessing he doesn't work at Ohana;)

armyfamilyof5

Wow! I'm in the wrong line of work! You mean he makes that much on top of his school salary?
Yes. She asked him why he worked every weekend as well as teaching and he told her his "real" job is at Disney,it pays for his mortgage and allows his wife to be a stay at home mom. Don't get me wrong, I think being a server takes some skill, remembering what people ordered what and multi tasking with various tables but that's a lot of money for just weekends in my book!

stevehousse

Having worked in the restaurant industry, I knew Servers that could even make more money serving than the managers on salary at their jobs! As long as your at a great location you can make bank working as a server! And the plus is you always leave with cash!

cw1982

Yes. She asked him why he worked every weekend as well as teaching and he told her his "real" job is at Disney,it pays for his mortgage and allows his wife to be a stay at home mom. Don't get me wrong, I think being a server takes some skill, remembering what people ordered what and multi tasking with various tables but that's a lot of money for just weekends in my book!

Definitely. That's more than I'm currently making as a teacher! When I get my full salary beginning in September, I'll barely be making more than that... lol! Heck, I think I'd be tempted to just work weekends at that point or work a day or two during the week with that, to have a little extra "spending money" :joyfull:

And yes, serving does take some skill to be able to do it well. No question about that.

I just know that by the time I make it to Friday afternoon I have zero energy. I need my weekends to refresh and be ready for the following week. This makes me wish we lived near Disney, though, so I could try and get a gig like this one!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You can make good money, but it's hard work. The time goes by fast and can even be fun sometimes if you enjoy socializing with customers and meeting new people. In order to make the kind of money you are talking about the guy would need to work pretty much every weekend both days. I know I would have a tough time working a regular job Mon to Fri and then doing that. Of course there are times I work on weekends now anyway, but it's not every weekend.

me_stitch

Premium Member
Um, what just happened? I think you took what he said completely wrong. He was talking in general and you took it personal. He has a valid point, and I think in some countries tipping isn't normal. I know here on South Beach, they are loosing a lot of servers because the travelers aren't tipping. I just think they don't know better. Servers make under minimum wage because tips compensate.

Anyhoo, my point is, don't take things personal.
exactly, I wasn't trying to be rude or anything, just pointing out how I look at free dining.

mhaftman7

We're always a family of four at the table. We get the kids to play tic tac toe or even, as crazy as it sounds, talk to them while we wait for our food. We do the rounded up 20% unless the SERVER was horrible. If the meal is no good we'll say something to the server BEFORE eating the entire thing (which I've seen/heard countless times). As far as the service goes, it's mainly about the attitude and the promptness. As long as you are sociable and take the time to keep the meal "flowing" until I leave, you're gonna get the 20%.

Not to stray too far from the topic at hand, but I can't stand the places that request tips for minimum service. I was at a Rita's water ice yesterday and got a quart on my way home. Now I get that these kids are mainly college kids, but REALLY? A tip to put water ice in a cup? Come on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom