Tips for the (Not)Free Dining Plan

PARichards

Original Poster
Resort ressies including free dining: check.
ADRs scheduled: check.
Setting money aside with which to tip our servers at our ADRs: um...

This thought just occurred to me. We are staying at AoA and upgrading our DP. Have TS meals scheduled at Tusker House, Crystal Palace or Chef Mickey's (haven't decided which one we are keeping yet), BOG, 50sPTC, and 1900 Park Fare.

So. How does everyone go about calculating what to tip/how to set aside money to use for tips? That is always one of those *forgot whoops facepalm* expenses we do NOT want to forget about til we arrive and look terribly sorry at the waitstaff because we planned poorly and thus they get no tip things I am looking to avoid.

TIA.

HouCuseChickie

Go through all of the prices on the menus, pretend to mock up what you'd order at the menu spots, and then get your grand total for your expected overall TS dining costs before tips. Then do the calculations for your total tip. Example, if I spent $1700 on TS food, I'd need to budget $340 for tips when tipping at a rate of 20%. I also know my habits and know I am likely to splurge, so I will budget a bit more. Ultimately, failure to budget isn't reason to stiff the server. i.e. if a person can't afford the gratuity, they shouldn't be doing TS meals.

JoMarch

We keep a large jar and throw daily loose change and random dollars into. Before our trip we cash it out. This is what we use for our tip money. Generally, I find a total dinner bill for 2 is close to $100, so we leave $20 - give or take depending on total dollar amount.

PARichards

Original Poster
Ultimately, failure to budget isn't reason to stiff the server. i.e. if a person can't afford the gratuity, they shouldn't be doing TS meals.

ABSOLUTELY. (And which is why I am asking how others have done it.) It will, however, be a good reason for the paying adults to be SUPER grumpy about spending $$$ we forgot to plan for. Ouch and yikes.

Looks like I'll be doing some math tonight!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oh, and with 4 kids under 8, I try to leave 30% whenever I can! (Just for the record.)

I've had a few of those "extra tip" meals in my day, especially if my kids were being difficult and the server really helped out.

With 4 kids under 8 don't forget to budget tips for the bartender too;). You're gonna a need a cold one with dinner after a long day in the parks:cool:

HouCuseChickie

Oh, and with 4 kids under 8, I try to leave 30% whenever I can! (Just for the record.)

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was insinuating you wouldn't tip. I was putting out the statement because sometimes people see things like this and get the wrong idea. Just trying to squash drama before it has a chance of getting started. If that makes any sense. :)

PARichards

Original Poster
Just trying to squash drama before it has a chance of getting started. If that makes any sense. :)

Gotcha ;) Thanks!

With 4 kids under 8 don't forget to budget tips for the bartender too;). You're gonna a need a cold one with dinner after a long day in the parks:cool:

Lol! So true!

We keep a large jar and throw daily loose change and random dollars into. Before our trip we cash it out. This is what we use for our tip money. Generally, I find a total dinner bill for 2 is close to $100, so we leave $20 - give or take depending on total dollar amount.

We have several hunnit dollahs in Our loose change jar! I think that was gonna go towards souvenirs, but we can make it work towards meal tips instead!

PARichards

Original Poster
Oh! Also, can we use our loose change fortune, converted to Disney gift cards (sowhatI'msayin'is can we use Disney GCs) to cover tips? I can get fuel points at my local grocery for money spent on gift cards, just wanted to make sure this was an acceptable way to pay out our tips/not sure how the bill is paid when using Magic Bands and/or free dining. Thanks again, all, and sorry if I am being obnoxious about this.

Edited for a spelling error. Because nerds rule.

dopeylover

I don't believe you can tip w/ gift cards, no. You CAN use them to pay for basically everything else in the park though-souvenirs, drinks throughout the day, extra snacks, if needed, outside of your meal plan, etc., so this way any cash you do have can go towards your tips! Out last trip we forgot about tips until we got there, what a fun surprise! But I wouldn't dream of skimping on someones wages that they depend on b/c I planned poorly, so it was a lesson learned!

PARichards

Original Poster
I don't believe you can tip w/ gift cards, no. You CAN use them to pay for basically everything else in the park though-souvenirs, drinks throughout the day, extra snacks, if needed, outside of your meal plan, etc., so this way any cash you do have can go towards your tips!

Glad I asked, then! Was thinking we could just have a tips-only GC. Bummer. But that's ok, because now I can hone in on a good plan. Thanks for the info!!

stevehousse

Since it's free, we always leave $15-25 dollars depending on how good or bad the service was...the bill for our family usually ends up around $75-125 give or take for each meal...

me_stitch

Premium Member
people look at free dining all wrong. my wife and I are going down for a week in October, leaving all 4 kids at home, we can eat a $100 meal for a $20 tip, I call that a good deal. If you want to save $$ take a room discount and eat at QS restaurants. just my 2 cents.

PARichards

Original Poster
people look at free dining all wrong. my wife and I are going down for a week in October, leaving all 4 kids at home, we can eat a $100 meal for a $20 tip, I call that a good deal. If you want to save $$ take a room discount and eat at QS restaurants. just my 2 cents.

Wow, dude. Glad you got that out. Hope you're feeling better for having shared that.

cbettua

Wow, dude. Glad you got that out. Hope you're feeling better for having shared that.
Um, what just happened? I think you took what he said completely wrong. He was talking in general and you took it personal. He has a valid point, and I think in some countries tipping isn't normal. I know here on South Beach, they are loosing a lot of servers because the travelers aren't tipping. I just think they don't know better. Servers make under minimum wage because tips compensate.

Anyhoo, my point is, don't take things personal.

PARichards

Original Poster
Um, what just happened? I think you took what he said completely wrong. He was talking in general and you took it personal. He has a valid point, and I think in some countries tipping isn't normal. I know here on South Beach, they are loosing a lot of servers because the travelers aren't tipping. I just think they don't know better. Servers make under minimum wage because tips compensate.

Anyhoo, my point is, don't take things personal.

Know what? You are right. Sorry. Truly. There was no need for my 'tude. I can blame jealousy because I have to plan for our whole fam, and free dining is one way we are managing to afford a trip that will fit our needs, knowing that we will most likely not be returning to WDW before our kids finish school, AND/OR because I was just getting off work, but that is lame. I hereby promise to stay off the forums at the tail end of future 12 hr night shifts. No sleep = no bueno for reading and replying to posts. And with that, good night. (Again, sorry. I hate those debate-y threads. *now unbunching undergarments as I type*)

cbettua

Know what? You are right. Sorry. Truly. There was no need for my 'tude. I can blame jealousy because I have to plan for our whole fam, and free dining is one way we are managing to afford a trip that will fit our needs, knowing that we will most likely not be returning to WDW before our kids finish school, AND/OR because I was just getting off work, but that is lame. I hereby promise to stay off the forums at the tail end of future 12 hr night shifts. No sleep = no bueno for reading and replying to posts. And with that, good night. (Again, sorry. I hate those debate-y threads. *now unbunching undergarments as I type*)

It's no biggy! Don't stress over the planning, really just enjoy it and remember if things don't go as plan, your still in Disney!

lunchbox1175

I know it would be time consuming, but since you know the restaurants you are going to dine at, you can take a look at the menu's, figure out what everyone in your family will probably order, get a total for each location, and then figure out what you would tip on that total. Then put aside the amount on a Disney GC, and like @Mukta said, charge the tip back to your room with your Magic Band, then pay the resort charges with the Disney GC.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oh! Also, can we use our loose change fortune, converted to Disney gift cards (sowhatI'msayin'is can we use Disney GCs) to cover tips? I can get fuel points at my local grocery for money spent on gift cards, just wanted to make sure this was an acceptable way to pay out our tips/not sure how the bill is paid when using Magic Bands and/or free dining. Thanks again, all, and sorry if I am being obnoxious about this.

Edited for a spelling error. Because nerds rule.
I don't see why you couldn't use a GC for tips. When your meal is over you will still get a bill. If you got anything like alcohol or apps that aren't covered by the meal plan it will be on there. I think if its a group of 6 or more they automatically will add in an 18% tip. You can pay the bill with cash, room charge or credit card. I assume they could run a gift card through as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom