Tips for the (Not)Free Dining Plan

mom2of2

They will automatically add the 18% to your bill for gratuity even at a buffet for a party of 8. I believe you can cross out the amount and write in your own tip, but that might involve bringing out the manager.
It's parties of 6 or more and no, you can't just cross out the tip. You have to have a legitimate complaint then if it isn't resolved, is then reduced by management.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's parties of 6 or more and no, you can't just cross out the tip. You have to have a legitimate complaint then if it isn't resolved, is then reduced by management.

Yep, it's parties of 6 or more. The OP said she had a party of 8.

I personally would never try to reduce the tip amount unless there is a real big problem.

Dwarful

Only once have we had a tip reduced. We had a late seating at The Biergarten...one of our must do places. The waiter forgot about us...we had to get up and take our mugs to get refilled and set our empty plates stacked up on an empty table behind us. There were only about 8 tables occupied that night. Ultimately we wanted the waiter who took over our table and helped us with drink refills to get the tip. But that did involve getting a manager involved. In my opinion the one who did the work reaps the rewards. I guess officially we didn't get the tip reduced...but we got the starting servers tip reduced.

armyfamilyof5

Oh, and with 4 kids under 8, I try to leave 30% whenever I can! (Just for the record.)
One of the things I least enjoy about TS at Disney is wait staff that automatically feel they deserve 20% tip. We had a terrible server recently and it spoiled the meal. When it takes over 20 minutes to get the check a server isn't getting 20% tip from us. I have tipped over 20% before but that was due to exceptional service. We do as several posted suggested and mock up what we think the meal is going to be and add 20%, then I save cash in an envelope in the drawer so I am prepared for the entire week.

disney4life2008

Go through all of the prices on the menus, pretend to mock up what you'd order at the menu spots, and then get your grand total for your expected overall TS dining costs before tips. Then do the calculations for your total tip. Example, if I spent $1700 on TS food, I'd need to budget $340 for tips when tipping at a rate of 20%. I also know my habits and know I am likely to splurge, so I will budget a bit more. Ultimately, failure to budget isn't reason to stiff the server. i.e. if a person can't afford the gratuity, they shouldn't be doing TS meals.

$340 - WOW! I am a cheap tipper. Even at Ohana I tip no more than $4 (and that is if its exceptional).

stevehousse

Not even your spare change? Everyone deserves a little change:)

Not when they are making a normal minimum wage they don't! They aren't like servers in a restaurant who depend on tips as their main base of income!

$340 - WOW! I am a cheap tipper. Even at Ohana I tip no more than $4 (and that is if its exceptional).

Wow! Servers must hate you! LOL

U do realize that servers at restaurants make an average of $2.50-4.95 per hour and depend on tips as their main source of income, even at WDW! Be a little more considerate...

disney4life2008

You are free to tip however you see fit, however, please tip at least your tax amount. A server shouldn't have to PAY to serve you.

WDW servers make $4.80 an hour

My one table of one is not going to make or break them. The big money is for rich people and those of 2 or more

stevehousse

My one table of one is not going to make or break them. The big money is for rich people and those of 2 or more
Ok understandable if ur by yourself! LOL I assumed you were talking about going as a family, which the bill would be at least $75-125 depending on breakfast or dinner! I thought u were tipping $4 on a bill like that! LOL

stevehousse

It's just some loose change. You have to take it out of your pockets to get through the metal detector at the airport. They are really doing you a favor taking it from you;)
Sorry but no, I still get a clean room, extra towels, and towel animals regardless if I leave a tip or not! Mouse keeping isn't making a living on tips, so why would I tip them? LOL

DManRightHere

I wonder if they would ever adopt a "pre tip" method. I saw carnival cruise line offered this. Covered everything except bars I think on a 5 night vacation for $150. It also said a portion went to housekeeping as well.

I'm not crazy about a pre tipping as I like to give people whay they deserve, but if it came out cheaper I'd do it.

I am a firm believer in NOT tipping the suggested 18% at buffets..especially when there is just two of us and they only check in us and refill our drinks a couple times. I usually tip around 12% there.

PARichards

Original Poster
DH, the buffet king, was just saying he tips (maybe) 15% at buffets, never 20% for the same reason. Specially when we are with the kids, we eat so quickly we get our drinks refilled once, if at all.

tor29c

Oh! Also, can we use our loose change fortune, converted to Disney gift cards (sowhatI'msayin'is can we use Disney GCs) to cover tips? I can get fuel points at my local grocery for money spent on gift cards, just wanted to make sure this was an acceptable way to pay out our tips/not sure how the bill is paid when using Magic Bands and/or free dining. Thanks again, all, and sorry if I am being obnoxious about this.

Edited for a spelling error. Because nerds rule.
You can use the gift cards for tips if you have the tip put on your magic band so it's charged to the room then pay off the balance before checking out so you can pay with the gift cards instead of it hitting your credit card. We were a party of 6 when we were down last month so 18% gratuity was automatically added to our room charge. I brought $600 in gift cards specifically for this reason and it worked fine.

Mawg

The price of the Dinning Plan isn't too far off from what you would pay out of pocket. Look at how much the Dinning Plan would cost you for the length of your stay if it wasn't free. Save about 20% of that and you should have enough for tips for the trip. You might want to save more if you plan on adding alcohol to most meals.

armyfamilyof5

Not when they are making a normal minimum wage they don't! They aren't like servers in a restaurant who depend on tips as their main base of income!

Wow! Servers must hate you! LOL

U do realize that servers at restaurants make an average of $2.50-4.95 per hour and depend on tips as their main source of income, even at WDW! Be a little more considerate...
One of my daughters teachers works weekends only as a server at Disney and won't give the job up as he makes over $46,000 a year working weekends only. Believe or not most servers are earning more than I do as a social worker.

cw1982

One of my daughters teachers works weekends only as a server at Disney and won't give the job up as he makes over $46,000 a year working weekends only. Believe or not most servers are earning more than I do as a social worker.

Wow! I'm in the wrong line of work! You mean he makes that much on top of his school salary?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom