Tips For Teens

tigger-wdw

Original Poster
I thought this be very helpful to familys that had teens.these just a few ideas i found in my travel book birnbaum's guide to walt disney barns and nobles sells it for $16.95
1-take a walkman -perfect for sitting by the pool-side at your resort,just take take few favorits
2-pack a hat why? much easier to throw hat on then do your hair each morning!
3thers lots of resturants for teens just a few rain forest cafe,planet hollywood,sci-fi dine-in-theater,one of the best is 50's prime time cafe in mgm .its a great way to see your parents get yelled at by "mom" and "dad" waiters!
4-try to get along with your brothers and sisters, dont bug them to do things u want to do but offer to do things they want too.
5one of the coolest things in magic kindom is the E-RIDE nights lets you stay in the park after hours and ride all the beast rides like splash mountain,space mountain,thunder mountain railroad,haulted mansion just a few.
5 thers another attraction that i like the best this is not in the book that in downtown disney west side called disney quest for $25.00 you get play all the virtiallity games, pinball,quater games sports games,action ,stradegy games,plus lots of rides things to do for teens and adults. some packages have disney quest as part as ther package ask your local travel agent last 2 yrs we got in free with are passes.

remmeber this all started by a mouse

The Mom

Premium Member
Thank you! My youngest is in 6th grade, so "teenhood" is just around the corner. :lol: (I've already been through it once; my other child will be 21 this month) I'm printing your post out to put with my other WDW stuff. :wave:

DanStat

There was a tip in there one time that said "Try bringing some of your own money". I always turned my nose up to that one because my parents always bought me what I wanted.

Well, this year, they gave me money, and I brought my own money. I praise that tip now. When I came home, I felt like I had bought what I really wanted, instead of grabbing everything in sight. And I still came home with a TON of stuff!

One of the best tips...ever. Try it. :sohappy:

maelstrom

Always bring your own money!! I'm planning on bringing my own money in January, even though my parents are buying me all of my birthday and Christmas presents there (even though I'm going after both of them, all I want is Disney stuff anyhow, so). But bringing your own money makes you really decide what you MUST have and what you just kinda want.

The Mom

Premium Member
disneyprep50321 said:
There was a tip in there one time that said "Try bringing some of your own money". I always turned my nose up to that one because my parents always bought me what I wanted.

Well, this year, they gave me money, and I brought my own money. I praise that tip now. When I came home, I felt like I had bought what I really wanted, instead of grabbing everything in sight. And I still came home with a TON of stuff!

One of the best tips...ever. Try it. :sohappy:

Now that's a GREAT tip....and trust me, I'm quoting you to my son. :kiss:

DanStat

The Mom said:
Now that's a GREAT tip....and trust me, I'm quoting you to my son. :kiss:
That's fine by me!

If you don't want your kid carrying around his own cash, you could also try a "Teen Visa" or a Visa gift card. It's easy to do, and carry!

kvan

We did that once with my kids.
My daughter spend her money wisely .. but my son...
he send it all the first day and for the rest of our vacation (2 weeks) he was asking money EVERY day :fork: .

What we do now is , give something everyday to spend there own way ,
If they wanna spend it all that day or save some for a special gift, they are free to do what they want and they're not asking for money EVERYDAY.:animwink:

tigsmom

We save all of our coins & cash them in before we go. I split this between the 2 kids to spend for "goodies". They also bring any money they have saved. Its theirs to spend as they see fit, but once it gone thats it no more from us. They usually ask if they can buy something first (which is nice), but its their money to spend. The quality of the "goodies" asked for has definately gone up since they've been spending their own money & not mine.

tigger-wdw

Original Poster
another teen tip

am sure if your teens want to spend some of mom and dads money and they dont want to use or carry alot of cash on hand ,the resort asks if you like to use your card key as a credit card and then mom or dad can pay by check or credit card or remaining cash they have left or by travelers checks,
also good idea that they bring ther own savings so they spend it freely through the parks,you never know your teens might buy you a thank you gift for the generosity after spending almost all of ther savings..lol

this is a true fact my wife and i took her 2 brothers which both never seen disney and are 15, 17,we spent 2003 at the all star movies and treated them to the whole trip.they had ther own spending money on hand it was great,after returning home for reality...:hammer: and work .we got a suprise thank you gift from both.they pitched in and bought us a snow glass globe with MICKEY AND MINNIE inside on the bottom read's thanks for the momories.
returning this year 2005 just me and the wife ..lol

EmeraldDolphin

Before my kids have gone on vacations, I've brought them to AAA & they get Traveler's Checks. My youngest still isn't old enough for a Driver's License, but she has a photo ID that we got at our local DMV for $10. They usually carry only 1 or 2 checks with them at a time. Of course they have their cell phones so that they can keep in touch with friends at home!

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Freedom

One thing I like is this is the one place I feel fairly comfortable in letting them go off on their own. While I prefer to have everyone together, allowing these breaks with designated "reassembly" times work well for all, and they don't get "sick" of us as the week goes on. We do have walkie-talkies or phones if something comes up. The nice thing is they then come back to us and tell us what they've "discovered", then often ask us to revisit with them (we try to act cool and nonplussed, but just love the desire to share with us.

As with home, dinner is together.

Also allows us to spend more time and attention with the younger one who is often swept along with other plans.

robynchic

Bring your own money. It will make you think more about what you want to buy. Do you really want that silly hat that you'll never wear again, or would you rather have that limited edition t-shirt? Personally, I'll always take a t-shirt over a hat.

Also, for the late teens-early 20s crowd- if you've ever thought of working in WDW, and you're in college, talk to a CM that looks college-age if they're not busy. Chances are, they're on the Walt Disney World College Program. Find out some details from them, and see if you'd like to do it.

sam_elphick

I'll be 17 the next tiem i go to florida ... (i live in England and dont go very often.) but i usually save all my money up all the time for when i go. (i usually end up taking about 1500 dollars spending money!) but most of my money goes spending money in the outlet stors in orlando.

OneSweetDream

I'm currently seventeen, but my mom and I are going for our birthdays (they're three days apart) so I'll turn eighteen during our trip. However, I've been going to WDW since I was eight, and I agree with the bring your own money bit. We always go in January so I just didn't spend any of my Christmas money and saved it for the trip, and being able to make purchases yourself is so much easier than having to ask. And it's a lot nicer on your parents too!

Interruption?

tigger-wdw said:
I thought this be very helpful to familys that had teens.these just a few ideas i found in my travel book birnbaum's guide to walt disney barns and nobles sells it for $16.95
1-take a walkman -perfect for sitting by the pool-side at your resort,just take take few favorits
2-pack a hat why? much easier to throw hat on then do your hair each morning!
3thers lots of resturants for teens just a few rain forest cafe,planet hollywood,sci-fi dine-in-theater,one of the best is 50's prime time cafe in mgm .its a great way to see your parents get yelled at by "mom" and "dad" waiters!
4-try to get along with your brothers and sisters, dont bug them to do things u want to do but offer to do things they want too.
5one of the coolest things in magic kindom is the E-RIDE nights lets you stay in the park after hours and ride all the beast rides like splash mountain,space mountain,thunder mountain railroad,haulted mansion just a few.
5 thers another attraction that i like the best this is not in the book that in downtown disney west side called disney quest for $25.00 you get play all the virtiallity games, pinball,quater games sports games,action ,stradegy games,plus lots of rides things to do for teens and adults. some packages have disney quest as part as ther package ask your local travel agent last 2 yrs we got in free with are passes.

remmeber this all started by a mouse
I'm 17. Yeah the walkman thing is an excellent idea. Other than that, ehhhh. Now I'm not going to pretend that I accurately represent the POV of EVERY teenager out there. I think that's one of the aggravating mistakes that adults make about teenagers. They forget that despite the fact that we might act stereotypically of our age, we are our own people. One of the best things that I think can be done is either, letting your teen bring a friend, or scheduling your trip around the same time as their friend's family. Don't forget that this is the age where we are desperately trying to let our parents know that, far from needing to be buckled in, we ARE our own people and we DO need time away from the family (We love you guys. Really we do love our parents, but for the love of God, why must you guys be so... parentish all the time?). I think the best thing you can do to keep your teen happy is letting them do what they want. If you stay on Disney property, give them their ticket in the morning when the rest of the family is leaving for the park, give them a "have fun, we'll be back <insert time here>." If you want to have some quality time with your teen, that's a great way to do it, because then they won't be sick of you, and they WILL eventually feel like spending some time with the family.

I can't believe I just divulged all that. I'm so getting my teenage membership card taken away from me in school tomorrow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom