Tips for first Disneyland trip

MainSt1993

EnvyGreen said:
but can you not do DL in one day? i have atleast 2 days devoted towards DL, and i wasn't going to check out DCA, but...should i? is 1 day going to be enough to do DL?

thanks for all the really good tips! :)

Disneyland can usually be done in a day, but now it depends on when you go. The park has been experiencing record attendence. And DCA is definitely worth at least a few hours, if not a whole day. Block Party Bash is a fun show there, and Aladin is very well done. ToT is different. And for adults, there is a great roof deck at Ariel's Grotto with a bar that looks out over the lake at Paradise Pier. Very relaxing way to spend an afternoon!

MainSt1993

Buzz Lightyear said:
Since we are on the topic of 1st trips, we are going for the first time on June 18th and will be there for only two days. Which park would you go to on Sunday (which is Father's Day), and which would you go to on Monday. Does any one know if PotC will be open by that time? Thanks for any info you can give me.

Tim

I have to agree with TP 2000. Do Disneyland on Sunday and DCA on Monday. During the summer season, Mondays and Saturdays are the busiest at Disneyland.

MainSt1993 said:
First, plan at least 2 days for the DLR. Disneyland will take more than a day to see, and California Adventure is a fun 2nd day.

A good online resource is www.visionsfantastic.com. They have a lot of media content, including ride and performance videos, along with a lot of great tips.

Second, expect it to be a lot different from WDW. Disneyland is very much into tradition, and you'll feel it at the park. Personally, I've always thought of Disneyland as a much more intimate experience compared to MK, where I always feel I'm being processed.

Third, don't laugh at Steamboat Willie at MGM after seeing Fantasmic at Disneyland. Nevermind - go ahead and laugh. :lol:

I used to work at Disneyland, so any specific questions you have, just let me know.

Ok I've got one...in the disneyland dectective book it states that one spire was left un-golden to symbolize the constant changing over DL. Is that true and if so is it still there considering the castle was goldenized for the 50th Anniversary.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have always wondered.

MainSt1993

danzingcutie12 said:
Ok I've got one...in the disneyland dectective book it states that one spire was left un-golden to symbolize the constant changing over DL. Is that true and if so is it still there considering the castle was goldenized for the 50th Anniversary.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have always wondered.

Not a dumb question at all, and it was a story believed for many years. When the castle went through rehab for the 50th, they found that the spire in question was originally painted pink, and the paint had simply faded. The entire castle has been repainted to represent how it looked when the park first opened.

One bit of symbolism that IS true though are the sidewalks. You'll notice they are red from the entry plaza all the way to the castle. This is symbolic of Walt rolling out the red carpet for his guests.

EnvyGreen

wow, thanks so much MainSt1993! and as far as i knew Buzz, i thought the DL HM was back up and running with the new stuff. while im thinking about rides, is the new space mountain good? im going with someone who hates going upside down but loves the WDW version.

MainSt1993

Buzz Lightyear said:
Hey MainSt1993, I'm kinda bummed about PotC being down for rehab. Do you know if HM will be opened with its new special effects?

It's already open with the new Attic scene. I hear the effects are great! I'll be there in a couple weeks, and will report back.

MainSt1993

I was there for opening day last year, and as such only got to ride it once. The station is a little different, and they handle wheelchair and special assistance parties totally differently now. They pull an entire 2 car train off the main track and allow peopel needing extra assistance all the time they need to board. Once they have a full train, they dispatch it.

As for the rest of the ride, the track felt exactly the same, although faster. It's much darker, and the new special effects are fantastic. I can't wait to go again!

scorp111

The others have provided good advice, but I want to add one thing:

DEFINITELY go see Aladdin at the Hyperion!

The Genie was great!

cherrynegra

scorp111 said:
The others have provided good advice, but I want to add one thing:

DEFINITELY go see Aladdin at the Hyperion!

The Genie was great!

AGREED!!! There's a new Genie doing the show and he is FAH-BU-LUS and he is HYSTERICAL!! Definitely added an infusion of new blood to the production.

DisneySam

I am so glad someone started this thread! I am planning a DL trip for next June. I too have been to WDW a million times but this will be the first DL trip [as well as my first trip to the west coast.] I am so excited. What about dining for DL? Any suggestions?

cherrynegra

DisneySam said:
I am so glad someone started this thread! I am planning a DL trip for next June. I too have been to WDW a million times but this will be the first DL trip [as well as my first trip to the west coast.] I am so excited. What about dining for DL? Any suggestions?

Here's a link to a list of restaurants and the menus. Hope it helps.:wave:

TP2000

DisneySam said:

Dining? The Blue Bayou is going to be at the top of any list, for obvious reasons. Cafe Orleans is also good, and Plaza Inn or Pizza Port are recommended for easier buffeteria style meals.

At DCA, The Vineyard Room is their fanciest restaurant and it's very good, and Ariels Cove has the typical Disney Character meal experience if you need that. For simpler/cheaper/easier meals at DCA I highly recommend the Wharf Cafe which is at the end of the Boudin bread factory tour and has great quality and selection.

At Downtown Disney, which is inbetween the two parks and a five minute walk from inside either park, I highly recommend Catal for lunch or dinner. Catal is owned and operated by famed chef Joachim Splichal, and it's one of his best in SoCal. The other DTD restaurants are good too, but Catal is the best in my opinion. I warn you to avoid Naples Ristorante however; the pizza isn't good and the service is the worst in Downtown Disney. The ESPN Zone has two very good restaurants inside the huge building, with hearty American fare and good service. The Rainforest Cafe is swamped with kids, the wait is often 2 hours or more, and the food/service is passable but not good enough to put up with all the headaches associated with the place. Just walk through the gift shop if you want, but avoid eating at Rainforest Cafe.

When you are looking for espresso in Downtown Disney, the baristas at La Brea Bakery rarely get it right. The baristas at the Compass Books Cafe at the opposite end of DTD make a much better mocha and latte, but it's kind of out of the way unless you are staying at the Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier hotels. Sadly, there is no Starbucks on Disneyland property, so you are out of luck. The Blue Ribbon Bakery has pretty good mochas and lattes, and Disney switched to Deidrich's beans for their espresso because so many people were complaining about the circa-1978 Nescafe coffee roast they had been offering previously. (The deal with Nestle' is Disneyland just can't advertise that they are using Deidrich's beans, but you can taste the quality and see the Deidrich's bags behind the counter if you get any espresso drink in Disneyland. They also switched to Deidrich's at the hotels and all hotel restaurants for the same reason, so you'll be fine there.) :wave:

scorp111

cherrynegra said:
AGREED!!! There's a new Genie doing the show and he is FAH-BU-LUS and he is HYSTERICAL!! Definitely added an infusion of new blood to the production.
I laughed as hard as I have in years...

Almost had tears in my eyes.:lol:

MainSt1993

DisneySam said:

Napa Rose at Disney's Grand Californian, Blue Bayou (reopening with Pirates this July), and French Market are my favorites. If it's an adult trip, check out the roof deck/bar at Ariel's Grotto inside DCA.

rtiller

Original Poster
Dessert Buffet

Well we did it. I made reservations yesterday for the dessert buffet for Fantasmic:sohappy: . I was worried I missed out because I forgot to call 30 days out but luckily we could still get in for the 10:30 show.

Thanks for the tip!

EnvyGreen

So here's a stupid question...

We're leaving next Friday for Cali and my mother would rather check out L.A. then go to the the parks. Since we only have one rental car, she was just going to drop us off. How do they go about it at DL? She's just paranoid and told me to ask :lol:.

Figment571

EnvyGreen said:
So here's a stupid question...

We're leaving next Friday for Cali and my mother would rather check out L.A. then go to the the parks. Since we only have one rental car, she was just going to drop us off. How do they go about it at DL? She's just paranoid and told me to ask :lol:.

Hmmm.... My family is going out there in two weeks and we were all just going to stay there longer so we could all see L.A. My Mom is paranoid too. Even though I'm a manly man......jk.lol No I'm a teen:D

nelsonj3

Thanks for all of the great advice that has been posted here!

I'll be at Disneyland during the first week of July also. It will be my second trip to Disneyland. (25+ visits to WDW). I'm excited about enjoying the "original" during its 50th Anniversary!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom