Tipping?

Berret

In the Parks
No
That’s not my problem, find a better job then. Disney didn’t enslave them, they applied for the position willingly knowing exactly what they were getting themselves in to. As said I will be opting out next time so it’s not an issue I’m concerned about.

What are you, the Disney job gatekeeper, saying whose job has worth and whose doesn't? That's a pretty rude thing to say, and for probably a large part of them, they may not be able to just get a "better job." But I'm glad they can all look to you for words of encouragement.

AndyS2992

What are you, the Disney job gatekeeper, saying whose job has worth and whose doesn't? That's a pretty rude thing to say, and for probably a large part of them, they may not be able to just get a "better job." But I'm glad they can all look to you for words of encouragement.
You’ve taken it out of context. A better paying job, whether that be a cook in restaurant, cashier at a store, whatever. I get called out for not tipping them because they supposedly need the money so badly that they are suffering but why is that my problem? Blame Disney for not paying better but they chose that job themselves knowing the pay rate and workload. Tipping housekeepers is not mandatory or encouraged. And why can’t cant they find a better paying job? You insinuating housekeepers are good for only making beds and scrubbing toilets and nothing else? Anyone can work anywhere if they work hard enough to achieve that goal.

Last edited:

jloucks

You’ve taken it out of context. A better paying job, whether that be a cook in restaurant, cashier at a store, whatever. I get called out for not tipping them because they supposedly need the money so badly that they are suffering but why is that my problem? Blame Disney for not paying better but they chose that job themselves knowing the pay rate and workload. Tipping housekeepers is not mandatory or encouraged. And why can’t cant they find a better paying job? You insinuating housekeepers are good for only making beds and scrubbing toilets and nothing else? Anyone can work anywhere if they work hard enough to achieve that goal.
I think you are looking at it all wrong. Look at it as an excuse to make another human (that probably makes a crapton less than you) happy. I tip waiters, bag handlers, maids, drivers, tour guides, hobos, and more. Not because I have to, but because it makes another person happy. And that makes me happy.

Not tipping makes another person sad.

Blame whoever you want, but in the end, you have to chose.

AndyS2992

I think you are looking at it all wrong. Look at it as an excuse to make another human (that probably makes a crapton less than you) happy. I tip waiters, bag handlers, maids, drivers, tour guides, hobos, and more. Not because I have to, but because it makes another person happy. And that makes me happy.

Not tipping makes another person sad.

Blame whoever you want, but in the end, you have to chose.
Good for you but you don’t know what job I have or how much money I have in the bank so you should not assume I make tons of money to give away, I could be unemployed for all you know or need that money more for other things like medication or something.

Last edited:

jloucks

Good for you but you don’t know what job I have or how much money I have in the bank so you should not assume I make tons of money to give away, I could be unemployed for all you know or need that money more for other things like medication or something.
What's your point? The less you make the less you should tip?

AndyS2992

What's your point? The less you make the less you should tip?
No but it’s kinda logical, if I didn’t have a job then why should give lots of money away to people in full time employment? Problem with tipping today is that people expect it rather than to earn it. If you give me good service I will likely tip or at least give a good word to management, if you don’t you won’t get anything and appalling service will get a complaint.

JimW

Premium Member
No but it’s kinda logical, if I didn’t have a job then why should give lots of money away to people in full time employment? Problem with tipping today is that people expect it rather than to earn it. If you give me good service I will likely tip or at least give a good word to management, if you don’t you won’t get anything and appalling service will get a complaint.
Frankly, this post hurt my head. Despite my better judgment, I'll try to reply. My apologies in advance if I mess this up.

- "If I didn't have a job" - If you're without a job, I'm not sure you should be spending money in which the whole "tips vs. no tips" discussion is taking place. If money is that tight, why are you spending money eating out?
- "People expect it rather than to earn it" - My wife and I do eat out quite a bit (which, to be frank, we shouldn't) - As far as I can tell, we've never encountered this. Do you have any examples?
- "I will likely tip or at least give a good word to management" - I'm not sure how to even begin with this one. Do you really believe that compliments to management are equal to compensation to the employee?

AndyS2992

Frankly, this post hurt my head. Despite my better judgment, I'll try to reply. My apologies in advance if I mess this up.

- "If I didn't have a job" - If you're without a job, I'm not sure you should be spending money in which the whole "tips vs. no tips" discussion is taking place. If money is that tight, why are you spending money eating out?
- "People expect it rather than to earn it" - My wife and I do eat out quite a bit (which, to be frank, we shouldn't) - As far as I can tell, we've never encountered this. Do you have any examples?
- "I will likely tip or at least give a good word to management" - I'm not sure how to even begin with this one. Do you really believe that compliments to management are equal to compensation to the employee?

-So you’re saying unemployed and poor people are not allowed to eat out once in a while on special occasions? Seems a little unfair.

-So you’ve never been to a restaurant and when you have been handed the bill, they’ve already circled their $25+ expected tip or added it on as a service charge despite being bad?

-We don’t tip here in the UK and that method is generally how you go about it, certainly is where I work and it’s effective, every positive comment card I get gives me £5 on a gift card for just doing my job. Sounds like compensation to me. I’m sorry US companies are so greedy and treat their workers badly. Also if that isn’t a thing then why do CMs tell people to go to City Hall to compliment good service if it doesn’t do anything?

Anyway we are straying off topic off here.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
And where does it say that?
-So you’re saying unemployed and poor people are not allowed to eat out once in a while on special occasions? Seems a little unfair.

-So you’ve never been to a restaurant and when you have been handed the bill, they’ve already circled their $25+ expected tip or added it on as a service charge despite being bad?

-We don’t tip here in the UK and that method is generally how you go about it, certainly is where I work and it’s effective, every positive comment card I get gives me £5 on a gift card for just doing my job. Sounds like compensation to me. I’m sorry US companies are so greedy and treat their workers badly. Also if that isn’t a thing then why do CMs tell people to go to City Hall to compliment good service if it doesn’t do anything?

Anyway we are straying off topic off here.

AndyS2992

Yeah we don’t tip over here in the UK because we don’t have a tipping culture because we have laws over here that gives everyone a liveable minimum wage, unlike the US. I DO tip over in the US, just not housekeeping. It’s pretty clear what I meant in that original comment, you’re just trying to start a fight. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Yeah we don’t think tip over here in the UK because we don’t have a tipping culture because we have laws over here that gives everyone a liveable minimum wage, unlike the US. I DO tip over in the US, just not housekeeping. It’s pretty clear what I meant in that original comment, you’re trying to start a fight. :rolleyes:
Not trying to start a fight. No we don't have a tipping culture here in the UK but that doesn't mean people don't tip in the UK. I certainly do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom