Tipping?

JohnD

For Mousekeeping, I've typically tipped at the end of my stay. I understand points made before that there could be different Mousekeepers on different days. Maybe I should tip per day as others suggest.

Jedi Stitch

If someone handles your bags, Tip. I tipped the sky cap at our departure airport. Since we didn't have any luggage on the ME, so I usually don't tip the driver of the bus, if he hadn't had to stow the luggage. When we got to our room and our luggage had not arrived yet, so we called down for expedited service. We tipped the guy who brought the luggage up. We found that Mouse Keeping was awesome at the Value Resort we stayed at, So I tipped each day. We found the decorated envelope Idea to be perfect. Our daughter got to decorate and get extra excited to go to WDW. We left our luggage with Bell service the day of check out, so Tip. We also did a cruise after our wdw stay, so you end up with your luggage. So we tipped the ME driver when he stowed our luggage for the trip to Port Canaveral. We tipped him again getting to the airport. We pre paid the tip for the cruise, so the travel agent had tip vouchers for us to hand off to our server and mousekeeping on the cruise.
Cabs, I don't know if all the cabbys were taken us for a ride, but paying 25-30 for a trip from DS to ASMo seamed excessive. I asked the concierge when we got back, and they said 18 tops for that trip, less than 20 for any where in the park. The ones that used the meter, had it up tick often for crossing zones, that shoulndt happen, the park is one zone, so who ever was driving us left the park and drove roads that crossed t=in and out of the zone. The other cabbys just made a number up. I asked why he didn't use the meter. He said it was broken. So we mostly used the bus, unless we positively need the cab for a reservation.

spock8113

Haven't done Mousekeeping tipping yet. A little unsure on this myself.
One year, our candy from MNSSHP was stolen, but nothing else.
I think I agree with Gelatoni where room cleaning is not optional for what your paying a night.
Do I have to compensate employees for Disney because their pay isn't exactly stellar?

rose2617

No we don't tip mousekeeping. We make our own beds, empty our own trash if it's ever overflowing, bring our own towels and shampoo and stuff and keep the place tidy so we don't feel it is necessary as we've done their job for them which I'm sure they appreciate. We will opt out next time if that is still a thing.
FYI, mousekeepers rely on tips as part of their income. They make a dismal hourly rate and tips are very important to them. So, you are not doing them a favor. They want and need to clean your room.

AndyS2992

FYI, mousekeepers rely on tips as part of their income. They make a dismal hourly rate and tips are very important to them. So, you are not doing them a favor. They want and need to clean your room.
That’s not my problem, find a better job then. Disney didn’t enslave them, they applied for the position willingly knowing exactly what they were getting themselves in to. As said I will be opting out next time so it’s not an issue I’m concerned about.

Last edited:

JoeT63

Yep, and here's how we do it:

Give a large-ish tip on the very first day. We usually leave $10-$20. That usually gets us a little extra mousekeeping magic (extry towel-animals, and more or upgraded toiletries). Our room also seems to be super clean and well put together, but that may not have anything to do with our tip. We then usually tip $5 daily since, as has been mentioned above, different folks are on duty on different days. That first tip sets a nice tone and keeps us in good karma.

So the max for a week is what...$40? That may seem a bit high but it works for us and we think it's worth it.

Driver

As mentioned in many of the responses tipping to regular CM's is not common. Although many offer we are told to politely refuse. If a guest is persistent we are allowed to take it. But also as mentioned the cards at guest relations are very helpful to CM's. Just try to remember the basics, name, area they work and what they did that was special. A manager will follow through with the CM with an " atta boy" and the remarks will go on the CM's record card. As a guest it's really a cool way that you can have an impact on a CM. It's really nice when this happens to us unfortunately it's always after the fact and we have no way of thanking folks. So I'm thanking you !! The cards can be had at guest relations and take but a few minutes to fill out.😊

mergatroid

Having dystonia means I have a disabled parking badge so I can park in the disabled section of the parks. It also means when my wife and I visit the Contemporary Hotel to hire a boat that we get 'free' valet parking there. I'm never sure quite how tipping works for that. The two times I've been I've tipped about $8 for the person who brings my car back when we leave.

The first time we did it the same guy who parked the car also brought it me back so all was good. The second time a guy parked for me but then somebody else brought the car back later. Again I gave them $8 but asked if they could split it with the other guy and they said yes.

I'm now assuming that in future I'm better off tipping both the parker and returner separately, but still have no clue what the 'going rate' is for tipping these folks (or if at all)?

crxbrett

Yep, and here's how we do it:

Give a large-ish tip on the very first day. We usually leave $10-$20. That usually gets us a little extra mousekeeping magic (extry towel-animals, and more or upgraded toiletries). Our room also seems to be super clean and well put together, but that may not have anything to do with our tip. We then usually tip $5 daily since, as has been mentioned above, different folks are on duty on different days. That first tip sets a nice tone and keeps us in good karma.

So the max for a week is what...$40? That may seem a bit high but it works for us and we think it's worth it.

I pretty much do exactly this. It's usually $20 the first morning and then I try to leave $5 every day. Some mousekeepers will make towel animals or something. That always gets a bonus tip from me. Sometimes I have skipped a few days, but then I'll leave another $20. On a 10-day trip I usually end up leaving mousekeeping $50-$60 tips. It's a thankless job and they have to clean up after people. I'm sure they deal with a ton of things that are just gross or not fun.

I also usually write a handwritten note saying "Thank you Mousekeeping!" with a smiling Mickey Mouse with the cash on top of it. This lets them know it was intended for them and that their work is appreciated.

jloucks

Having dystonia means I have a disabled parking badge so I can park in the disabled section of the parks. It also means when my wife and I visit the Contemporary Hotel to hire a boat that we get 'free' valet parking there. I'm never sure quite how tipping works for that. The two times I've been I've tipped about $8 for the person who brings my car back when we leave.

The first time we did it the same guy who parked the car also brought it me back so all was good. The second time a guy parked for me but then somebody else brought the car back later. Again I gave them $8 but asked if they could split it with the other guy and they said yes.

I'm now assuming that in future I'm better off tipping both the parker and returner separately, but still have no clue what the 'going rate' is for tipping these folks (or if at all)?

I don't know what the going rate is either, but I think you are on target for the venue. I would tip $5 at dropoff and $5 at pickup at a what is essentially an amusement park parking lot. I tip quite a bit more at fine restaurants.

eliza61nyc

Haven't done Mousekeeping tipping yet. A little unsure on this myself.
One year, our candy from MNSSHP was stolen, but nothing else.
I think I agree with Gelatoni where room cleaning is not optional for what your paying a night.
Do I have to compensate employees for Disney because their pay isn't exactly stellar?

room cleaning and room rates are two different things. YOU decided to pay room rates when you made the reservations.
If you get the mousekeeping service, tipping is protocol.

bigrigross

room cleaning and room rates are two different things. YOU decided to pay room rates when you made the reservations.
If you get the mousekeeping service, tipping is protocol.

It is not protocol. In no way shape or form do Mousekeepers make 2.13 an hour. They are not paid a tipping wage. People are more than welcome to tip mousekeeping. But it is part of the room charge just like it is at every other hotel in the US. Its also why you can opt out of mousekeeping cleaning your room everyday at several of the resorts and you get a gift card.

righttrack

Tipping mousekeeping is daily. Different staff, different days. You put $2-$10 in an envelope. I suggest $5 personally but $2 is perfectly acceptable, and yes $10 if they do something really special for you.

Tipping your servers at sit down meals (standard 18-20%)

Giving $2 per bag to bell services if they carry your bags to your room

If someone at concierge helps you by calling a taxi, or arranging a reservation or just does a really great job answering questions, I'd give them a discretionary $5.

Taxis - Same as sit down meals (18-20%)

jloucks

It is not protocol. In no way shape or form do Mousekeepers make 2.13 an hour. They are not paid a tipping wage. People are more than welcome to tip mousekeeping. But it is part of the room charge just like it is at every other hotel in the US. Its also why you can opt out at several of the resorts and you get a gift card.

Opt out? Of what? Tipping?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom