Tipping

The Mom

Premium Member
I saw a post which mentioned that the "standard" for tipping is now $2/bag. My questions are, what constitutes a bag, is the same rate expected at the "condo" resorts, and who exactly gets the tips...and how much?

For example: when I stayed at the BWV the bellman "totaled" my luggage at 14 bags!!! They were..

2 small overnight suitcases
2 "toiletry bags (one was a backpack)
2 coolers
5 bags of groceries
1 plastic bag with embroidery
1 plastic bag with "trip" snacks
1 CD case

Was I really expected to tip $28? I gave the person who actually transported the cart to and from our villa $20. I gave both the valet parker and the person who loaded the bags from our "trunk" to the cart $5 each. Did I under or over tip?

WDWspider

Originally posted by The Mom
I saw a post which mentioned that the "standard" for tipping is now $2/bag. My questions are, what constitutes a bag, is the same rate expected at the "condo" resorts, and who exactly gets the tips...and how much?

For example: when I stayed at the BWV the bellman "totaled" my luggage at 14 bags!!! They were..

2 small overnight suitcases
2 "toiletry bags (one was a backpack)
2 coolers
5 bags of groceries
1 plastic bag with embroidery
1 plastic bag with "trip" snacks
1 CD case

Was I really expected to tip $28? I gave the person who actually transported the cart to and from our villa $20. I gave both the valet parker and the person who loaded the bags from our "trunk" to the cart $5 each. Did I under or over tip?

Should you tip the unloader also, boy I know so little on these things. I didn't realize how much money I wasn't spending on Vacation. :lol: Um :lookaroun

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
And I've always tipped the chambermaid! No wonder my vacations cost so much...and the kicker is, I don't think I get any better service than the people who don't tip anything! (but sometimes I like to be nice for no apparent reason ;))

Upvote 0

jeffs10

This might be off the subject but it still has to do with tipping.

You know in epcot how they sell beer in the venders as your entering the world showcase. you know they sell powerade, water, and beer.

Do you have to tip those guys or not. I Never new if i should or not. anyone have any idea? Are they working off tips or not?

Upvote 0

celticdog

Originally posted by jeffs10
This might be off the subject but it still has to do with tipping.

You know in epcot how they sell beer in the venders as your entering the world showcase. you know they sell powerade, water, and beer.

Do you have to tip those guys or not. I Never new if i should or not. anyone have any idea? Are they working off tips or not?

The vendors that serve from a kiosk don't deserve a tip. Did they come to you? No. You waited in line to get a drink from them. If they had come to wait on you that would be a different story.

At hotels, I only tip for exceptional service. The employees are there to do a job. They get paid to do that job. At restaurants i tip based upon my dining experience and the service. If the service is merely average i tip around 10%. If the food and service is very good to excellent i will tip 15% to 20%.

I will always reward for personalized service, but i never feel obligated to tip under any circumstance.

Upvote 0

jeffs10

Originally posted by celticdog

The vendors that serve from a kiosk don't deserve a tip. Did they come to you? No. You waited in line to get a drink from them. If they had come to wait on you that would be a different story.

At hotels, I only tip for exceptional service. The employees are there to do a job. They get paid to do that job. At restaurants i tip based upon my dining experience and the service. If the service is merely average i tip around 10%. If the food and service is very good to excellent i will tip 15% to 20%.

I will always reward for personalized service, but i never feel obligated to tip under any circumstance.

What about bar tenders in the hotels? should they be tipped? they really don't come to you , you wait for them.

Upvote 0

dreamer

Our cart was full. Igloo cooler, 7 suitcases, several shoulderbags, backpacks, pillows, toys, teddy bears.

I gave $10 to the guy that loaded the cart -- he was patient and it was hot -- and $10 to the guy that brought it to our room. I felt that was adequate for the time they spent. Ie. they would be making $30 or more per hour on tips if everyone tips like that.

Upvote 0

celticdog

Originally posted by jeffs10

What about bar tenders in the hotels? should they be tipped? they really don't come to you , you wait for them.

Exactly, you wait for them. They have to come to you. If they ignore you or dawdle, don't give a tip. A bar environment tends to be more chaotic than a booth in the parks. A bartender has to come to your section of the bar. A bar also has a much greater selection than a booth in park. The bar allows for more personal service a booth does not.

Upvote 0

jeffs10

Originally posted by celticdog

Exactly, you wait for them. They have to come to you. If they ignore you or dawdle, don't give a tip. A bar environment tends to be more chaotic than a booth in the parks. A bartender has to come to your section of the bar. A bar also has a much greater selection than a booth in park. The bar allows for more personal service a booth does not.

Ok I always tip at a bar no matter what. I was just wondering why now it makes sense why. Thanks for all the great tips

jeff

Upvote 0

DanStat

Marcia, there are some websites that will tell you the proper amount.

I used to have a program on my palm pilot, my palm pilot isn't working right now or I would tell you.

Upvote 0

Lance

Originally posted by The Mom

WHOLY CRAP!

Marcia, I want to be a bellboy at the Contemporary, I do have prior Moving experience, which is basically the same thing but harder......so here's my thoughts, if I was a bellman at any resort, and I unloaded the bags from your car, onto my cart, then pushed them to your room, unloaded them, and left. I'd probably be expecting no more than $5 bucks from the guest. I mean if their is another person like you in an hour, that guy is pulling down $40 bucks an hour, not bad at all.......I just think you went a little overboard, man if all that $2 dollars a bag is correct, I gotta get my moving!!!

But maybe I'm wrong? Maybe it really is that much of a rip-off...

Upvote 0

Eljay

When I get my hard cider at the kiosk in front of the Rose & Crown (to drink while I watch Off Kilter) I always offer the server a buck as a tip, half the time they take it, half the time they say in a delightful accent "thanks, but I'm not allowed to accept tips".

Also, what's the general consensus on chambermaid tipping, daily or at the end of the stay?

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

DAILY for chambermaids.

You probably won't have the same one everyday.

Say you are there Sun - Sat. "Jane" works Sun -Thu; "Diane" works Fri; and "Sue" works Saturday.

It's not fair to Jane and Diane for you to tip Sue for one day's work.

Upvote 0

PLUTIS

Until I came to this site a while back I had NEVER heard of tipping the maids. I will now that I know people do it.

But, WOW Marcia, those guys must have absolutely loved you for that enormous tip! I know I would have.

Upvote 0

Main Street USA

Originally posted by PLUTIS
Until I came to this site a while back I had NEVER heard of tipping the maids. I will now that I know people do it.

But, WOW Marcia, those guys must have absolutely loved you for that enormous tip! I know I would have.

Well, I've done it again. I forgot to log out my wife before I responded to a thread! Ugh! Anyway, that previous post by PLUTIS was mine, not my wife's.:)

Upvote 0

Bagheera

Originally posted by Main Street USA

Well, I've done it again. I forgot to log out my wife before I responded to a thread! Ugh! Anyway, that previous post by PLUTIS was mine, not my wife's.:)

Just think of it this way. You helped her boost her post count! :D

Upvote 0

pepsistar

:veryconfu Oh my -- This can get very expensive!! I used to tip the maids but do not now as you seem to have a different one all the time-- Unless I know who is doing the room and they did something special for us. Sometimes they leave a card and sometimes they do not-- (if you leave it for one does the other take it ????? )

We are always confused about: The person who puts the things on the cart from the car but that is all, the one who parks the car- as they are never the person who brings the bags to the room. Tip all of them?? I do not think I can, well if I do not eat that day -- 8(

My daughter is a waitress and tends to over tip-- but you really do not know what to do these days. If we tip the way she wants we would only be able to stay ONE night !!! ---- I figure if they do something for me WITHOUT my asking, or at least show some intrest, that is a good gauge---- Sometimes I wish I could tip the bus drivers-- they really deserve it some days!!! :animwink:

( Well, actually I did one time as we were the only ones on the bus from EPCOT one night. It is such a long walk and we were at Mousegears and you know---)

Upvote 0

TravisMT81

ok I never have and never will tip for a cleaning my room. It is not a tipping job. And for the bags geesh I think inflated your bag count Mom LOL.

Upvote 0

RobFL

Account Suspended
Originally posted by TravisM
ok I never have and never will tip for a cleaning my room. It is not a tipping job. And for the bags geesh I think inflated your bag count Mom LOL.

My group is always prone to piling everything we own onto the bed itself, so they don't touch it and it nevers gets made. The most we ever get is towel replacement and most time we do the "enviromental" thing and save them instead.

Maybe if during this next trip I leave stuffed animals out and they're cutely arranged.. then perhaps. But, so far, no tipping for just walking into my room, picking up some towels, and leaving.

Come to think of it. Aside from the bed not being made, you'd be luckey to tell that I had stayed in a room. I leave like no trace and I don't unpack into the cabinets and such. I live neatly out of one carry-on. I don't eat or drink in the room, and I pack all of my own soap and such and never leave "scum." Hehe, the room's probably cleaner than when I got there ;)

-Rob

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom