Tipping Travel Agent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomicmickey

Hey all.

I know there are lots of great Kingdom Konsultant people on these boards. I see them offering awesome advice and help to everyone here,
and imagine they do a great job.

Full disclosure, I'm booked with another great travel agency, but everyone's so friendly here, I figured no harm, no foul.

And it allows them (or anyone else) to answer this question honestly and not in a self-serving way.

See--I have had great service, and I know that it takes a lot to make a great family trip come together.
We're taking 13 people, so there has been a lot of hemming and hawing.

So--what, if any, would be an appropriate tip, or thank you gift, for my awesome travel agent?
I know it's not expected, or necessary, but just wondering on amount and type of thank you
that I could put together.

Anyone have any experience with this? Do share.

Atomicmickey

Original Poster
Not really worth it to debate if this is crazy or not, folks. It's just a question.

I know it's not necessary. Hey, I even stated at the beginning that I think this is uncommon.

Yes, they're getting paid, and that's the agreement.

I will definitely let their management know what a great job she's done.

And, I wondered if anyone else had sent any sort of "thank you" to their travel agent.

My wife is a realtor--and from time to time, she'll get little things like that. There's nothing wrong with showing appreciation.

ddbowdoin . . . . opinion noted, thanks. We disagree, but, hey, that's cool, it's just a personal thing--I don't think you're nuts for disagreeing, we just roll in different ways.

So, moving on, for those who share my thinking, was just trying to get some perspective on what to do. Thanks for your thoughts.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

To the OP, I like to do little extra gifts for people sometimes when I feel like they've really gone out of the way to be helpful. Sometimes extra thanks are the littlest gestures that mean the most. I have awards, my stripes, badges from my rank(s), etc. from my days as a law enforcement communications deputy but the piece of memorabilia that means the most is the single thank you card I received from a lady many states away for helping her locate a loved one after Katrina. All I did was my job. The thanks meant more to me than any medal or award.

In the past a favorite thanks for me to give is a card with a gift card for a nice restaurant. That's my way of treating the person to dinner as my thanks. If the travel agent frequents WDW then maybe a Disney gift card would be a way to treat him/her to a nice dinner.

I've never heard of tipping a travel agent before but that doesn't mean an extra gesture of thanks your heart says it's due sounds wonderful. Good on ya!

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

I hope you never go out to eat. A waiter is just doing his job so why tip him right?

ultimately its that persons choice to seek employment there... we live in a free market economy, don't like being underpaid? leave... its that simple.

comon, cheap restaurants... you typically get poor service, why should I tip them?

When I go to Smith and Wollensky's I receive PROFESSIONAL service... and they are paid and tipped well.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

When I go to Smith and Wollensky's I receive PROFESSIONAL service... and they are paid and tipped well.

There are many PROFESSIONAL travel agents/consultants who charge fees and yearly retainers and get paid very well, they even have houses in the Hampton's.

Most deal with more lucrative travel than Disney, although I know one company that charges a hefty fee for booking VIP's and celebrities in some of the Disney deluxe suites, while arranging for their private jet charters.

Upvote 0

Tigger1988

ultimately its that persons choice to seek employment there... we live in a free market economy, don't like being underpaid? leave... its that simple.

comon, cheap restaurants... you typically get poor service, why should I tip them?

You seem to be on quite the high horse over there, must be nice.

Though by your logic no one should be tipped for anything, if they're already getting paid for the service. So no Smith and Wollensky's shouldn't be getting tipped either by your logic.

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

You seem to be on quite the high horse over there, must be nice.

Though by your logic no one should be tipped for anything, if they're already getting paid for the service. So no Smith and Wollensky's shouldn't be getting tipped either by your logic.

NO... in fact they should be, my point is that TIPPING is deserved for individuals who go above and beyond what the standard service calls for... and they in fact, often do. Above and beyond is the key term here... and yes, I can't apologize for having a finer taste in life and higher standards than your average person.

Upvote 0

firekymmie

Well he thinks well of himself doesn"t he. No one asked for a Tip. He was asking what a good idea would be for someone he felt when over and beyond their job to help his family have a great time together. I would hate to deal with this guy in any walk of life.

As for what I would do... I am thinking since the Travel Agent loves Disney as much as the rest of us. Maybe something for her desk at work so she can remember she went above the call of duty. Maybe a mug or a poster framed for her wall at work. Something small that speaks loud about what she did for you. depending on what you would like to spend maybe one of the drawings they sell and frame it or a statue for her desk. Talk to her see what charator is her fav.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Someone used the wrong word, and what should be a thread asking - 1. Would it be OK to give someone a gift for going the extra mile? 2. If so, what would be a good gift? - turns into an argument with people taking snipes at each other. Sheesh.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom