1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Tipping Mousekeeping

Discussion in 'WDW Resort Hotels' started by DiSnEyF@n, Apr 14, 2017.

?

How do you tip "Mousekeeping"?

1. Every day

109 vote(s)
    75.2%
  2. At the end of your stay

36 vote(s)
    24.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DisAl

DisAl Well-Known Member

[
    In 2015 we stayed at the Poly for 21 nights. For the first week we left a tip every single day but we were getting increasingly dissatisified with the service. They were having renovations done and there was a thin layer of dust over EVERYTHING. Coffee machine, pictures on the wall, TV, drawer units. My son has asthma so we politely asked at reception to have the room 'deep cleaned'. It never happened. We asked maybe, 3 or 4 times. At one point a manager came over to the room and agreed it was not acceptable. Even after the stay was over the dust was still there. Should we have dusted it down ourselves? I'm not sure. The whole room was pretty dirty.

Anyway, we had a brilliant stay but after 10 days I stopped leaving a tip. Is that acceptable? I felt i'd paid more that enough to stay there and expected top notch service.[/QUOTE]

I tip for GOOD service, and if it is not good I don't. I think it is perfectly acceptable to not tip for poor service. In my mind a tip is appreciation for a job well done, not a mandatory supplement.

2. drwadadli

drwadadli Premium Member

It is was all about the cost, then DVC villas should have clean towels on a daily basis too since it cost $10,000 + to buy enough points to stay for a week.

3. LuvtheGoof

LuvtheGoof Proud DVC Member Premium Member

Umm, the buy-in cost has nothing to do with mousekeeping. That all comes out of a person's dues. If Disney went to a system of daily mousekeeping, peoples dues would go up accordingly, and I for one, prefer the current system. I don't want someone in our room every day.

anchorman314 and CaptainAmerica like this.
  4. drwadadli

drwadadli Premium Member

I was trying to show that overall cost has nothing to do with daily clean towels or not. Plus, DVC has some of the highest maintenance fees (or "dues" as you called them) in the industry.

5. LuvtheGoof

OK. For me, those alleged higher maintenance fees lead to a higher level of service. Please remember that the dues are regulated by the state of Florida, so if the dues are higher, it's because they either pay their CMs higher wages, or there are more of them. The majority of the dues are for personnel costs.

6. flynnibus

flynnibus Well-Known Member

Which you remember is an inside job.. Disney subsidiaries taking your money and paying its own second subsidiaries. The law on expenses doesn't guarantee you the best deals or efficiency.. just on which entity is allowed to make more money or not.

drwadadli likes this.
  7. drwadadli

drwadadli Premium Member

I owe 6 weeks of timeshare and get EXCELLENT quality of service from mine and still don't pay those higher "dues". Plus the higher maintenance fees are not alleged but rather a fact in the business. I just asked a couple of people I personally know that sell and owe DVC. The "dues" (truely called maintenance fees) prices are set by the DVC association NOT the state of Florida. IF it is controlled by the state of Florida then why is the dues for Copper Creek Villas ($7.33 per point) different then for Disney's Polynesian Villas ($6.14 per point)???

8. LuvtheGoof

So I guess you don't know how the DVC dues work. :confused: They not only pay for personnel, but upgrades, property taxes, and many other things. Some of the difference in resort dues is simply higher property taxes, or higher maintenance costs. When I say regulated, I am talking about the fact that Disney, and every other timeshare that operates in the state of Florida must disclose exactly what those dues go for every year. Since you own one, you should be getting a statement yearly that details exactly where your money is going. If you don't, then that company is in violation of Florida law.

9. drwadadli

drwadadli Premium Member

You are correct that I don't completely understand how DVC works which is why I have never bought and always am trying to learn. All timeshares (DVC or not) must say where they money is going to for that year as do any other business. As an owner, it is called a balance report just like I own stock in The Walt Disney Company and receive a yearly report. You said "regulated" which means "control or supervise (something, especially a company or business activity) by means of rules and regulations." The state of Florida does NOT regulate the dues!! DVC IS required to hand out their budget and estimated balance sheets but that is forced by the state but rather that they are a business and you are a "stockholder" in that business by buying into it. All companies and business must handout their budget sheets based on their bylaws and rules of engagement not the state. The state may make sure this done but doesn't control it.

10. LuvtheGoof

Yes, regulate was probably not he best word, though again, while they don't "regulate" how much any timeshare spends, they do regulate that companies disclose the information. That is all I meant by that.

drwadadli likes this.
  11. 21stamps

21stamps Well-Known Member

They have a hamper in the restroom.

I only put towels in there when I wanted new ones. The others I hung up and told our Mousekeeper to leave them.

I don't think there is any reason to need all towels daily.

jaklgreen and drwadadli like this.
  12. drwadadli

drwadadli Premium Member

I completely agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21stamps likes this.
  13. kelknight84

kelknight84 Well-Known Member

I would love to hear from a housekeeper about what they are supposed to do with tips. As a former watercraft employee if we were given tips we were to immediately turn it over to management and it would go to the company. If you were found to have accepted a tip and didn't report it it was a fireable offense.

14. BuddyThomas

BuddyThomas Well-Known Member

Apologies. Having spent (wasted?) my youth in the service industry, having slung everything from Grand Slams at Denny's to elegant dinners at elegant restaurants to being a room steward on a cruise ship, I am pretty passionate about tipping issues. I've seriously seen it all. I am no longer in that industry, but when I see people bragging about how they do not tip, my blood starts to boil. I will try to contain myself in the future. I just wish every person who brags about not tipping Mousekeeping, etc would wait tables or clean rooms for a week. I guarantee you that your viewpoint would change. Empathy to your fellow human beings is an incredible thing.

15. BuddyThomas

BuddyThomas Well-Known Member

Your post said a lot of stuff, but I can't get past the fact that you stayed at the Poly for 21 nights. May I please be you in my next life? That is awesome. :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Weather_Lady and littleroo like this.
  16. Deno

Deno Well-Known Member

Oh you don't wanna be me in the next life ;-)

Story with that is that my son used to REALLY struggle with walking any great distance (problems that thankfully he's starting to grow out of) and at the end of the day (in fact, not really end of day, after, say 5 hrs of walking and queuing for rides) he could barely walk out of the parks. Anyway, we used to stay at Port Orleans Riverside which, to be honest, I love just as much as the Poly but we decided that year that the convenience of the Poly and being next to our favourite park was just too tempting so we scrimped and saved to go there.

The thing is, being from the UK, the flights take up a massive chunk of the budget so once that's out of the way (and holidays permitting) it makes so much sense to go for 21 days as the flight prices are the same as if you go for 7 or 14. We actually got a really good deal to stay there using a US based travel agency. It worked out quite reasonable.

Only problem now is the rest of my family are addicted to the Poly.

Anyway, going waaay off topic here. Sorry about that....

littleroo and DiSnEyF@n like this.
  17. xdan0920

xdan0920 Think for yourselfer Premium Member

Plus, there is only so much leftover food to go around. If they came everyday, that'd be a problem.

littleroo and Mr Ferret 88 like this.
  18. bigrigross

bigrigross Active Member

And this is the misconception that most people have about the service industry and why I only tip those who give good service versus bad service. Its true waiters only make $2.13 an hour with tips. But, if a waiter received no tips, or the tips didnt add up to what a night of making federal minimum would have been, the business must pay the waiter the federally mandated minimum wage of $7.25. They get minimum wage. Its just they only make 2.13 when they are getting 10 to whatever an hour from tips. Also, if forced gratuity is applied to my check, I never leave an extra tip.

dmw likes this.
  19. flynnibus

flynnibus Well-Known Member

The converse to that is the employer covering the 'gap' only counts on the total.

So if a waiter make $10 on a good table.. and gets stiffed on 2 more.. any 'additional' earnings they got from that $10 are flushed down making up for the other stiffs. The staff made up the difference themselves. The employer only has to step in and ensure a minimum wage if the total for the pay period doesn't equate to the minimums. So its almost always the staff making up the gap themselves.

The economies of how waiters are paid are established.. I don't have a problem participating with that because it's convention here in the states and that's part of what you buy into when you go. Same thing with the cruise lines...

But this tangent about tipping behaviors with food staff is really not relevant here. Your regular hotel housekeeping staff are NOT Tipped positions. The employees were not hired with an expectation of tips, the employers pay scales do not include an expected amount of tips per hour, and the customers are not mandated/expected to tip every time.

20. bigrigross

bigrigross Active Member

I was just replying to the guy because he thought waiters make only 2.13 and hour if they dont get tips. I wasnt trying to go off on a tangent. But, it doesnt matter. If they worked 4 hours. They should only expect to make 29 dollars that night. So long as they are making that federal minimum wage, its a non issue about them getting tipped. I dont tip based on amount. I tip based on amount of people and how well they did. If they suck, they get nothing.

I completely agree with you though. I do not tip any type of hotel staff except maybe the luggage guy but his position is becoming rare. That is anywhere I go. I really dont care if mousekeeping is making minimum wage. They accepted the job and knew what they would make. People stating that you should tip them because they dont make enough is hog wash. If you want to get better paid, get a skill that not everyone can do. I did tree work for 7 years. Made only 8 dollars an hour in the first half. I have no sympathy for anyone making minimum wage, especially in air conditioned places with plumbing.

People believe you should tip service industries because they provide a service for you. I work in IT and deal with clients everyday. I dont get tipped. I dont expect to be tipped. I only tip, even in restaurants, based on the level of service. If I am happy, I will make sure their bosses are aware of it. And possibly tip them if I knew they did the work. Tipping just to tip because its the right thing to do is stupid and makes people expect it.

dmw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.