• At the end of your stay

Votes: 36 24.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I was trying to show that overall cost has nothing to do with daily clean towels or not. Plus, DVC has some of the highest maintenance fees (or "dues" as you called them) in the industry.
OK. For me, those alleged higher maintenance fees lead to a higher level of service. Please remember that the dues are regulated by the state of Florida, so if the dues are higher, it's because they either pay their CMs higher wages, or there are more of them. The majority of the dues are for personnel costs.

flynnibus

Premium Member
OK. For me, those alleged higher maintenance fees lead to a higher level of service. Please remember that the dues are regulated by the state of Florida, so if the dues are higher, it's because they either pay their CMs higher wages, or there are more of them. The majority of the dues are for personnel costs.

Which you remember is an inside job.. Disney subsidiaries taking your money and paying its own second subsidiaries. The law on expenses doesn't guarantee you the best deals or efficiency.. just on which entity is allowed to make more money or not.

drwadadli

I owe 6 weeks of timeshare and get EXCELLENT quality of service from mine and still don't pay those higher "dues". Plus the higher maintenance fees are not alleged but rather a fact in the business. I just asked a couple of people I personally know that sell and owe DVC. The "dues" (truely called maintenance fees) prices are set by the DVC association NOT the state of Florida. IF it is controlled by the state of Florida then why is the dues for Copper Creek Villas ($7.33 per point) different then for Disney's Polynesian Villas ($6.14 per point)???

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I owe 6 weeks of timeshare and get EXCELLENT quality of service from mine and still don't pay those higher "dues". Plus the higher maintenance fees are not alleged but rather a fact in the business. I just asked a couple of people I personally know that sell and owe DVC. The "dues" (truely called maintenance fees) prices are set by the DVC association NOT the state of Florida. IF it is controlled by the state of Florida then why is the dues for Copper Creek Villas ($7.33 per point) different then for Disney's Polynesian Villas ($6.14 per point)???
So I guess you don't know how the DVC dues work. :confused: They not only pay for personnel, but upgrades, property taxes, and many other things. Some of the difference in resort dues is simply higher property taxes, or higher maintenance costs. When I say regulated, I am talking about the fact that Disney, and every other timeshare that operates in the state of Florida must disclose exactly what those dues go for every year. Since you own one, you should be getting a statement yearly that details exactly where your money is going. If you don't, then that company is in violation of Florida law.

drwadadli

So I guess you don't know how the DVC dues work. :confused: They not only pay for personnel, but upgrades, property taxes, and many other things. Some of the difference in resort dues is simply higher property taxes, or higher maintenance costs. When I say regulated, I am talking about the fact that Disney, and every other timeshare that operates in the state of Florida must disclose exactly what those dues go for every year. Since you own one, you should be getting a statement yearly that details exactly where your money is going. If you don't, then that company is in violation of Florida law.
You are correct that I don't completely understand how DVC works which is why I have never bought and always am trying to learn. All timeshares (DVC or not) must say where they money is going to for that year as do any other business. As an owner, it is called a balance report just like I own stock in The Walt Disney Company and receive a yearly report. You said "regulated" which means "control or supervise (something, especially a company or business activity) by means of rules and regulations." The state of Florida does NOT regulate the dues!! DVC IS required to hand out their budget and estimated balance sheets but that is forced by the state but rather that they are a business and you are a "stockholder" in that business by buying into it. All companies and business must handout their budget sheets based on their bylaws and rules of engagement not the state. The state may make sure this done but doesn't control it.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
You are correct that I don't completely understand how DVC works which is why I have never bought and always am trying to learn. All timeshares (DVC or not) must say where they money is going to for that year as do any other business. As an owner, it is called a balance report just like I own stock in The Walt Disney Company and receive a yearly report. You said "regulated" which means "control or supervise (something, especially a company or business activity) by means of rules and regulations." The state of Florida does NOT regulate the dues!! DVC IS required to hand out their budget and estimated balance sheets but that is forced by the state but rather that they are a business and you are a "stockholder" in that business by buying into it. All companies and business must handout their budget sheets based on their bylaws and rules of engagement not the state. The state may make sure this done but doesn't control it.
Yes, regulate was probably not he best word, though again, while they don't "regulate" how much any timeshare spends, they do regulate that companies disclose the information. That is all I meant by that.

21stamps

For what you pay for a room at the Grand Flo you should get new towels daily!! The Grand Flo provides more than excellent service to their guests.

They have a hamper in the restroom.

I only put towels in there when I wanted new ones. The others I hung up and told our Mousekeeper to leave them.

I don't think there is any reason to need all towels daily.

kelknight84

I would love to hear from a housekeeper about what they are supposed to do with tips. As a former watercraft employee if we were given tips we were to immediately turn it over to management and it would go to the company. If you were found to have accepted a tip and didn't report it it was a fireable offense.

BuddyThomas

Excuse me - is this another topic that will no longer be allowed because it always devolves into arguments and name calling? Please be civil. Thank you.
Apologies. Having spent (wasted?) my youth in the service industry, having slung everything from Grand Slams at Denny's to elegant dinners at elegant restaurants to being a room steward on a cruise ship, I am pretty passionate about tipping issues. I've seriously seen it all. I am no longer in that industry, but when I see people bragging about how they do not tip, my blood starts to boil. I will try to contain myself in the future. I just wish every person who brags about not tipping Mousekeeping, etc would wait tables or clean rooms for a week. I guarantee you that your viewpoint would change. Empathy to your fellow human beings is an incredible thing.

BuddyThomas

It is funny how you do not answer the simplest of questions. Please tell me who you tip daily that you think is underpaid that provides you a service every single day? On top of that, who do you tip at WDW?

I know for a fact every CM on the CP makes peanuts. Please tell me where you draw
[
In 2015 we stayed at the Poly for 21 nights. For the first week we left a tip every single day but we were getting increasingly dissatisified with the service. They were having renovations done and there was a thin layer of dust over EVERYTHING. Coffee machine, pictures on the wall, TV, drawer units. My son has asthma so we politely asked at reception to have the room 'deep cleaned'. It never happened. We asked maybe, 3 or 4 times. At one point a manager came over to the room and agreed it was not acceptable. Even after the stay was over the dust was still there. Should we have dusted it down ourselves? I'm not sure. The whole room was pretty dirty.

Anyway, we had a brilliant stay but after 10 days I stopped leaving a tip. Is that acceptable? I felt i'd paid more that enough to stay there and expected top notch service.

Your post said a lot of stuff, but I can't get past the fact that you stayed at the Poly for 21 nights. May I please be you in my next life? That is awesome. :)

Last edited:

Deno

Your post said a lot of stuff, but I can't get past the fact that you stayed at the Poly for 21 nights. May I please be you in my next life? That is awesome. :)

Oh you don't wanna be me in the next life ;-)

Story with that is that my son used to REALLY struggle with walking any great distance (problems that thankfully he's starting to grow out of) and at the end of the day (in fact, not really end of day, after, say 5 hrs of walking and queuing for rides) he could barely walk out of the parks. Anyway, we used to stay at Port Orleans Riverside which, to be honest, I love just as much as the Poly but we decided that year that the convenience of the Poly and being next to our favourite park was just too tempting so we scrimped and saved to go there.

The thing is, being from the UK, the flights take up a massive chunk of the budget so once that's out of the way (and holidays permitting) it makes so much sense to go for 21 days as the flight prices are the same as if you go for 7 or 14. We actually got a really good deal to stay there using a US based travel agency. It worked out quite reasonable.

Only problem now is the rest of my family are addicted to the Poly.

Anyway, going waaay off topic here. Sorry about that....

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Umm, the buy-in cost has nothing to do with mousekeeping. That all comes out of a person's dues. If Disney went to a system of daily mousekeeping, peoples dues would go up accordingly, and I for one, prefer the current system. I don't want someone in our room every day.
Plus, there is only so much leftover food to go around. If they came everyday, that'd be a problem.

bigrigross

Not to mention that wait staff in particular are often paid far below minimum wage because it is classified as a "tipped" position in the labor market and there is that expectation that the person will earn tips based on their service level. That person living in Florida only makes $5.08 an hour BEFORE taxes. And that is only if the state goes with their minimum wage for servers. They could go with the federal minimum wage for servers at $2.13 an hour. Leaving that person a $4 tip even if they give someone excellent service had better be for only a $20 or less meal bill.

And this is the misconception that most people have about the service industry and why I only tip those who give good service versus bad service. Its true waiters only make $2.13 an hour with tips. But, if a waiter received no tips, or the tips didnt add up to what a night of making federal minimum would have been, the business must pay the waiter the federally mandated minimum wage of $7.25. They get minimum wage. Its just they only make 2.13 when they are getting 10 to whatever an hour from tips. Also, if forced gratuity is applied to my check, I never leave an extra tip.

Reactions: dmw

flynnibus

Premium Member
And this is the misconception that most people have about the service industry and why I only tip those who give good service versus bad service. Its true waiters only make $2.13 an hour with tips. But, if a waiter received no tips, or the tips didnt add up to what a night of making federal minimum would have been, the business must pay the waiter the federally mandated minimum wage of $7.25. They get minimum wage. Its just they only make 2.13 when they are getting 10 to whatever an hour from tips. Also, if forced gratuity is applied to my check, I never leave an extra tip.

The converse to that is the employer covering the 'gap' only counts on the total.

So if a waiter make $10 on a good table.. and gets stiffed on 2 more.. any 'additional' earnings they got from that $10 are flushed down making up for the other stiffs. The staff made up the difference themselves. The employer only has to step in and ensure a minimum wage if the total for the pay period doesn't equate to the minimums. So its almost always the staff making up the gap themselves.

The economies of how waiters are paid are established.. I don't have a problem participating with that because it's convention here in the states and that's part of what you buy into when you go. Same thing with the cruise lines...

But this tangent about tipping behaviors with food staff is really not relevant here. Your regular hotel housekeeping staff are NOT Tipped positions. The employees were not hired with an expectation of tips, the employers pay scales do not include an expected amount of tips per hour, and the customers are not mandated/expected to tip every time.

bigrigross

The converse to that is the employer covering the 'gap' only counts on the total.

So if a waiter make $10 on a good table.. and gets stiffed on 2 more.. any 'additional' earnings they got from that $10 are flushed down making up for the other stiffs. The staff made up the difference themselves. The employer only has to step in and ensure a minimum wage if the total for the pay period doesn't equate to the minimums. So its almost always the staff making up the gap themselves.

The economies of how waiters are paid are established.. I don't have a problem participating with that because it's convention here in the states and that's part of what you buy into when you go. Same thing with the cruise lines...

But this tangent about tipping behaviors with food staff is really not relevant here. Your regular hotel housekeeping staff are NOT Tipped positions. The employees were not hired with an expectation of tips, the employers pay scales do not include an expected amount of tips per hour, and the customers are not mandated/expected to tip every time.

I was just replying to the guy because he thought waiters make only 2.13 and hour if they dont get tips. I wasnt trying to go off on a tangent. But, it doesnt matter. If they worked 4 hours. They should only expect to make 29 dollars that night. So long as they are making that federal minimum wage, its a non issue about them getting tipped. I dont tip based on amount. I tip based on amount of people and how well they did. If they suck, they get nothing.

I completely agree with you though. I do not tip any type of hotel staff except maybe the luggage guy but his position is becoming rare. That is anywhere I go. I really dont care if mousekeeping is making minimum wage. They accepted the job and knew what they would make. People stating that you should tip them because they dont make enough is hog wash. If you want to get better paid, get a skill that not everyone can do. I did tree work for 7 years. Made only 8 dollars an hour in the first half. I have no sympathy for anyone making minimum wage, especially in air conditioned places with plumbing.

People believe you should tip service industries because they provide a service for you. I work in IT and deal with clients everyday. I dont get tipped. I dont expect to be tipped. I only tip, even in restaurants, based on the level of service. If I am happy, I will make sure their bosses are aware of it. And possibly tip them if I knew they did the work. Tipping just to tip because its the right thing to do is stupid and makes people expect it.

21stamps

I was just replying to the guy because he thought waiters make only 2.13 and hour if they dont get tips. I wasnt trying to go off on a tangent. But, it doesnt matter. If they worked 4 hours. They should only expect to make 29 dollars that night. So long as they are making that federal minimum wage, its a non issue about them getting tipped. I dont tip based on amount. I tip based on amount of people and how well they did. If they suck, they get nothing.

I completely agree with you though. I do not tip any type of hotel staff except maybe the luggage guy but his position is becoming rare. That is anywhere I go. I really dont care if mousekeeping is making minimum wage. They accepted the job and knew what they would make. People stating that you should tip them because they dont make enough is hog wash. If you want to get better paid, get a skill that not everyone can do. I did tree work for 7 years. Made only 8 dollars an hour in the first half. I have no sympathy for anyone making minimum wage, especially in air conditioned places with plumbing.

People believe you should tip service industries because they provide a service for you. I work in IT and deal with clients everyday. I dont get tipped. I dont expect to be tipped. I only tip, even in restaurants, based on the level of service. If I am happy, I will make sure their bosses are aware of it. And possibly tip them if I knew they did the work. Tipping just to tip because its the right thing to do is stupid and makes people expect it.

WOW.

Tipping isn't just done to help someone making minimum wage. There are positions that have always been tipped positions. No, they aren't mandatory, they are the norm though..and if someone does a horrible job- by all means- do not reward them.

But, people claiming, proudly, that they don't tip percentages, they won't tip over ore set amounts, and they don't tip housekeepers.. is pretty shocking.

I am really curious to know-
Were you not taught these things in school?
Did your parents teach you about tipping?
Or did you just one day decide to buck the norm?
And I'm also curious to know, what do you teach your children about the subject?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I was just replying to the guy because he thought waiters make only 2.13 and hour if they dont get tips. I wasnt trying to go off on a tangent.

I wasn't blaming you.. but those that are trying to muddy the conversation with comparisons that just don't matter.

But, it doesnt matter. If they worked 4 hours. They should only expect to make 29 dollars that night. So long as they are making that federal minimum wage, its a non issue about them getting tipped. I dont tip based on amount. I tip based on amount of people and how well they did. If they suck, they get nothing.

It does matter.. because their comp model and target earnings are not based on minimum wage. It's based on an expected take which is a combination of wages+tips. The tips are simply not guaranteed pay, they are performance based pay. Just like many white collar workers have variable portions of their pay.. and they base their employment decisions around that. Knowing portions of the pay are voltile, unsecured, and may or may not have upside. The wait staff are the same. They don't work in the better restaurant for the same minimum wage as the crappy place expecting to make the same minimum wage. They (and the employer) know that based on the location and clientel an worker performing well should make an equivalent wage of X. They took that job knowing that.

When people individually stiff or don't participate, they do directly hurt the staff's earnings, and no employer minimum wage gap coverage is going to make that up (unless they are already working a place with little to no business).

And that outline ties into why we shouldn't tip housekeeping as the norm. It's not how their compensation plan is laid out. If someone wants to tip someone extra as a thank-you... that's great. But that is not the same as expected tipping.

People believe you should tip service industries because they provide a service for you

I agree that is a stupid standard. The standard is 'what is the arrangement between my boss and the customers in terms of how we agree employees should be paid'. That is a convention established through the business relationship the employer sets with its customers and usually has wider social contexts. If I want to tip someone as an extra thank you.. that's MY CHOICE. But don't look at me different because I don't tip the clerk running the cash registered looking for tips is serving me.

bigrigross

WOW.

Tipping isn't just done to help someone making minimum wage. There are positions that have always been tipped positions. No, they aren't mandatory, they are the norm though..and if someone does a horrible job- by all means- do not reward them.

But, people claiming, proudly, that they don't tip percentages, they won't tip over ore set amounts, and they don't tip housekeepers.. is pretty shocking.

I am really curious to know-
Were you not taught these things in school?
Did your parents teach you about tipping?
Or did you just one day decide to buck the norm?
And I'm also curious to know, what do you teach your children about the subject?

At the end of the night, if they work 4 hours. They will come out at least with 29 dollars that night. If they do not like that pay, then they need to find a new job. No one forces you to work in a tip based industry. Its on the employees and its really not my problem. I am not saying I do not tip, but at the same time, I dont feel bad if I dont leave a tip. They are at least getting paid 7.25 an hour if they dont get any tips for that hour.

But back on topic, I will not tip anyone who is not in a tip based job. In fact, a lot of employers forbid it. Housekeepers are paid whatever they are paid. They are not included on the $2.13 pay scale. They get 7.25 an hour at the least. Also, what is the difference between a 100 dollar steak and a 25 dollar steak to a waiter? Nothing. It weighs the same if not less than the 25 dollar cut. It doesnt effect their time any differently. Why would I tip based on cost when a waiter at outback is probably busing their own tables, getting drinks, bringing food, plating food, etc when a waiter at a fine dining restaurant just brings the food and the check. That is why i dont tip a percentage of the bill.

I went to a don pablos. Nothing fancy or expensive. I had one of the best waiters ever. My bill was 45 dollars. I tipped him 50 dollars because he made an ordinary night, into something special for my family and I. I think from our table, he made over 400 dollars. That is how I tip. Dont do anything special, you get 5 to 10 dollars. You suck, you get a penny. Its as simple as that.

21stamps

At the end of the night, if they work 4 hours. They will come out at least with 29 dollars that night. If they do not like that pay, then they need to find a new job. No one forces you to work in a tip based industry. Its on the employees and its really not my problem. I am not saying I do not tip, but at the same time, I dont feel bad if I dont leave a tip. They are at least getting paid 7.25 an hour if they dont get any tips for that hour.

But back on topic, I will not tip anyone who is not in a tip based job. In fact, a lot of employers forbid it. Housekeepers are paid whatever they are paid. They are not included on the $2.13 pay scale. They get 7.25 an hour at the least. Also, what is the difference between a 100 dollar steak and a 25 dollar steak to a waiter? Nothing. It weighs the same if not less than the 25 dollar cut. It doesnt effect their time any differently. Why would I tip based on cost when a waiter at outback is probably busing their own tables, getting drinks, bringing food, plating food, etc when a waiter at a fine dining restaurant just brings the food and the check. That is why i dont tip a percentage of the bill.

I went to a don pablos. Nothing fancy or expensive. I had one of the best waiters ever. My bill was 45 dollars. I tipped him 50 dollars because he made an ordinary night, into something special for my family and I. I think from our table, he made over 400 dollars. That is how I tip. Dont do anything special, you get 5 to 10 dollars. You suck, you get a penny. Its as simple as that.

Fine dining requires several different services for one table. The tip does not just go to your main server. That's one of the reasons why you should definitely tip more at fine dining.

Like I said above, housekeeping..along with tour guides, bell hops, etc etc etc have always been mainstream "should tip" positions. Always.
If they are bad at what they do, then show it in your tip for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom