Tipping in Hotels

SagamoreBeach

Speaking for myself, "and I am unanimous in this," tip very well at the restaurants you frequent most and you will always receive exceptional service and attention. It works for me.
-T

psukardi

No, it's a performance based pay system. In a service industry the idea is you get paid based on how well you perform. If you suck, you get paid less, if you do well, you get paid better.

That results in some horrible circular logic that comes out from some servers. Younger couple? well they won't tip well so I might as well ignore them. Couple of certain ethnicity "Well they never tip..." Older couple "Well they are going complain no matter what or just tip me 10% so...."

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
That results in some horrible circular logic that comes out from some servers. Younger couple? well they won't tip well so I might as well ignore them. Couple of certain ethnicity "Well they never tip..." Older couple "Well they are going complain no matter what or just tip me 10% so...."
Amazing how you claim not to tip because of the system in place, yet continue to stereotype servers in such a contemptible manner. Or perhaps it's not that amazing in the end....

flynnibus

Premium Member

And if a sales person does the same.. they lose the same when their stereotyping is wrong. That doesn't make the premise of how they are compensated wrong - that makes the person judgemental and stupid for putting their job on the line. But what does that have to do with your premise that this is some scam by cheap employers?

JohnD

Using that logic - who don't you tip? Do you tip the guy mopping the floors at your office? The guy stocking the shelves at the grocery store? They are all serving you.

My personal opinion why housekeeping tipping as a norm is fundamentally flawed
1) You are not tipping after the service is rendered
2) You are not tipping the person who actually did the work
3) It's a position paid with the expectation its a non-tipped job

You are leaving money for whomever happens to clean that room that day.. before they do it. Sure it may make you feel better.. but it flies counter to all notions of performance based pay.

No, it's a performance based pay system. In a service industry the idea is you get paid based on how well you perform. If you suck, you get paid less, if you do well, you get paid better.

Paying your salesman on commission is not a "bogus system designed by the owners that are too cheap to pay their employees a wage" - It is a system designed to reward and penalize based on performance. So is tipping.

I agree with you that paying 3x the tip because the menu is 3x the cost is stupid... but that's an artifact of the guidance model. When I order a drink at the bar... I still tip based on how many and the complexity of the drink.. not the price of the drink.

Okay. How about tipping as a means to say "Thank You." Maybe I should re- think tipping at the end of trip and tip each morning to ensure whoever cleans up after me that day receives the tip.

But I guess that is too simplistic for your rationalizations and the cleaning staff is just laughing at me for being generous when they should listen to you who knows better. They're not supposed to receive a tip at all! What is this stupid guest thinking?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Okay. How about tipping as a means to say "Thank You." Maybe I should re- think tipping at the end of trip and tip each morning to ensure whoever cleans up after me that day receives the tip.

But I guess that is too simplistic for your rationalizations and the cleaning staff is just laughing at me for being generous when they should listen to you who knows better. They're not supposed to receive a tip at all! What is this stupid guest thinking?

If you are just handing out money.. I'll send you my address :)

The topic is the EXPECTATION they are you supposed to tip. If you want to hand out money because you want to make someone smile.. go for it. But if you are doing it because you think you are going to reward someone for their service... which generally what a tip is.. leaving money for housekeeping is a flawed concept. You're saying 'thank you' to random person not even necessarily who did the work you are trying to thank.

If you are thanking them ahead of time.. well it's your charity.

I don't tip the grocery clerk who rings me up at the grocery store.. and I don't tip the maid who gets paid to clean my room.

kelknight84

I worked in Disney transportation and we were explicitly told to not accept tips. If a guest offered we were to politely refuse. If they insisted 3 times we were to take it but then turn it in to management. I don't know where it went from there. I always assumed the other roles had a similar policy except restaurant servers.

Figaro928

Well the notion behind a daily tip is that you won't necessarily get the same person cleaning your room every day. If you're there for 6 nights, and each night Alice is your Mousekeeper and does a phenomenal job so you decide to leave a big tip on checkout but now Ariel is your Mousekeeper, Alice never knows you appreciated the job unless Ariel lets Alice know.

On the flip side I believe Mouskeeping pools tips anyway. Sure it benefits those that do a lackluster job but I would think their annual review would weed out most of the bad fruit. But it also means that superlative CMs who go through a string of guests who decide tipping is for suckers don't go home empty handed either.

I would prefer these three over Ariel & Alice - two flakey minors with no work ethics... no tip for them!

778848e0fa715b5b0e5b502bb2936456.jpg

Figaro928

As a young couple we would always tip the minimum acceptable amount 18% for dining, $5 a day housekeeping for extended trips. $1-2 a round at the bar.... Then we gave birth to two tornados. My two disgusting petridishes upped the tipping across the board (even though we frequent everthing a lot less)

Beiste1

Tipping... can be a touchy subject due to culture differences, experience, etc. Having had to support myself on tips for years, I tend to tip above the norm. Even if I receive sub-par service, I will not completely withhold a tip--- I will instead take it up with management, because not tipping doesn't really get the point across.... the server, etc really doesn't know if you truly forgot to tip, don't tip normally or if they did something wrong. For servers, my minimum is 15%.... average is 18% (which is the tip you would have added if you had a party of 6 or more or were on some kind of discounted program) and above average is 20%... and exceptional can go up from there (please keep in mind... this is what we do... not what is required or expected). For valet, I tip between $3-$5, depending on factors such as courtesy, speed, distance from valet parking area and weather, for housekeeping for the 2 of us, we tip $5 per night, and can go up if we have asked for special services, or in the case of a Mousekeeper, they do unique things with our towels. If we have children along, we add $2 per child more per night, because, let's face it... they have more "stuff" and love to see their plush animals looking out the window when we return from the parks. Keep in mind that the Mousekeepers are not required to do those "little extras". We always tip daily, as Mousekeepers may change according to their days off, and it wouldn't be fair if someone who had worked for you for 4 days had the 5th day off and the person who cleaned your room that last day got the entire tip. Hope this helps! Here is a picture of one of the wonderful Mousekeepers at Port Orleans Riverside. She was amazing! She worked in the Royal Princess rooms when we stayed in June
P1010002.JPG

BuddyThomas

Maria Shriver is teaming with Marriott (sp?) on a new initiative called "The Envelope Please", which is designed to call attention to tipping your housekeeping staff. I hate that I can't post links here on my
phone but just google "Maria Shriver the envelope please" and lots of stuff comes up.

MMDVC

I think the important thing to re-consider tipping housekeeping versus others you might automatically tip without thinking twice. Do you tip the guy that brings your car around? Do you tip the guy that carries your suitcases up to the room? I think the person that cleans a room works a lot harder than any of these people. And I will continue to tip out of respect for that person to show my appreciation because I usually do not see them in person to say thank you. Do you also think they do not deserve a simple thank you?

BigRedDad

Tipping is a personal choice. Everyone in America now thinks they deserve a tip. At $100+ a night for a room, I am already paying for it to be cleaned. If I was especially messy, then yes, I would leave a tip. If I keep the room nice and all they do is bring new towels and a quick clean, no. I think I will be more comfortable on this trip at a Villa so no Mousekeeping.

Matt_Black

Tipping is a personal choice. Everyone in America now thinks they deserve a tip. At $100+ a night for a room, I am already paying for it to be cleaned. If I was especially messy, then yes, I would leave a tip. If I keep the room nice and all they do is bring new towels and a quick clean, no. I think I will be more comfortable on this trip at a Villa so no Mousekeeping.

Trust me on this, or rather my mother, as she spent a great deal of time speaking with Mousekeeping the last trip- with some of the guests they have to deal with, they deserve each and every tip they get.

PhilharMagician

You don't have to tip a lot; while "every role's a starring one", Mousekeeping is one that doesn't often get seen, let alone properly thanked. Leaving a little bit shows your appreciation.

You do not have to tip at all, but it has become the expected norm. Here are a few:
  • DME bus to the resort
  • Bell services taking and cataloging your bags
  • Bell services delivering your bags to your room
  • Mousekeeping during your stay
  • Dining servers during your stay
  • Bartenders during your stay
  • If you change resorts you have more Bell services tips
  • Bell services leaving your resort
  • DME bus going back to airport
  • If you drive and use valet parking
  • If you use a baggage assistant in an airport
There are probably more, but it seems never ending.

Mousekeeping is not the only starring role. There are a lot of others that work quite hard if not harder.

psukardi

I think the important thing to re-consider tipping housekeeping versus others you might automatically tip without thinking twice. Do you tip the guy that brings your car around? Do you tip the guy that carries your suitcases up to the room? I think the person that cleans a room works a lot harder than any of these people. And I will continue to tip out of respect for that person to show my appreciation because I usually do not see them in person to say thank you. Do you also think they do not deserve a simple thank you?

I choose to have a guy bring my car around. I choose to have someone get my luggage. They are providing a service that you don't have to pay for - therefore I go and tip them appropriately. The person that cleans my room - their payment should be baked into the cost of the room. IF it's not, they can go get a job somewhere else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom