Timekeeper to become Monsters Inc.

KrazyKemp said:
Jim Hill isn't exactly the best when it comes to rumors and speculation...

Bring back the Flying Saucers???

I never heard that one before...

WDI has been wanting to replace COP with the Flying Saucers at WDW for years now.

imagineer boy

No monsters Inc. dammit!!!!!!! :mad: If they build this, tomorrowland is ruined. What would be the point to the futuristic themeing anymore?!!?!?

Magicot

:eek: Monsters Inc. is the new Tomorrowland attraction!?!?!? Oh....wait- Screamscape is the reliable source? :lookaroun Nevermind....

Lee

Adventurer
KrazyKemp said:
But then again, nothing's really reliable until it's announced, is it?

You're exactly right in this case. I'm still awaiting some sort of confirmation on exactly what is going in there. Nothing reliable yet.

wedenterprises

Epcot82guy is absolutely right. I think his argument surpasses the Monsters inc. rumour. How he explained Disney presenting a story is really the art of it all.

I don't think a Monster's inc. themed attraction in tomorrowland is bad per se, its just that tomorrowland is a horribly half-assed land. Its half "future that never was" and half "70's/autopia/purple colored cafe/washroom/bland white spacemountain" . The "future that never was" presents Tomorrowland as a city, and really all that needs to happen is to extend this theme into the rest of the land so that it is one big "city". this way, a Monsters inc attraction could still theoretically fit in (although i still hate the idea of movie tie ins with rides).

If it is just another clone ride, then forget it, i'll just stop going to WDW because all the good rides are in DL anyways and its closer!

dxwwf3

imagineer boy said:
If they build this, tomorrowland is ruined.

But wouldn't this proven winner be better than some bumper cars attraction? I hate to break it to you, but the New Tomorrowland started it's process of death on October 12, 2003 and now that Timekeeper is gone, it's officially dead. Maybe if something good (Most people think the Monsters Inc attraction is either good or great over at DCA) goes into T3, it will cause a chain reaction of good things to come to the land right of the hub. It's been a long time since something good has happened there to be honest. Since Disney obviously don't care too much about the Tomorrowland theme anymore, the least they could do would be to put good attractions there, no matter if they fit the theme or not.

MickeyTigg

KrazyKemp said:
The following was found on Screamscape.com:

2007/2008 - Timekeeper / Monsters Inc. - Rumor - (2/28/06) An insider tells us that Cast Members were informed that Timekeeper was now closed forever and confirmed the rumors about replacing it with a Monsters Inc. dark ride that would be similar to the one just opened in California Adventure

Any thoughts on this? I kinda hoped for something better...

I've heard and seen great things about the DLR ride....I hope that it's true. I think that it would be a great addition.

DigitalDisney

Why don't they gut Doug Live and Sounds Dangerous over at MGM and put a Monsters Inc ride in there instead?

Doug Live is sitting there useless, and Sounds Dangerous barely draws in a crowd. The only question is....is there enough room? There needs to be enough room for the show building, a queue, vehicle storage / maintainence, ...

Maerj

manutdfan1 said:
Ugh.......i hate this.....what does this have to do with tomorrow land. Why couldnt they do a new ride for tomorrow land.....but then again what would it be......any suggestions??????

How about a tour through a Tomorrowland Robot Factory? Guests could help choose different robot designs as they move through the factory. Background noises would change depending on what type of robot the guests are creating. It would sort of be like an industrial music soundtrack that changes on each ride. Of course the robots could get out of control...or you could design them to perform a specific task, then wait and see if your designs function at the end of the ride.

Another idea... a transportation system involving clear tubes and cars moving through them powered by air which would take you into the underground Tomorrowland city. For thrill fans there could be an express version. Perhaps they could go above ground as well, giving an aerial view of the area?

Anything would be better than bumper cars, right?

Star Command

Hi Everyone,
I know that there has been rumors about the future of timekeeper and COP, so I was wondering if anyone else had noticed that both of these attractions were left out of the 2006 edition of Birnbaums Guide to WDW. Now that timekeeper is closed could this also shed some light on the future of COP?

Chape19714

Star Command said:
Hi Everyone,
I know that there has been rumors about the future of timekeeper and COP, so I was wondering if anyone else had noticed that both of these attractions were left out of the 2006 edition of Birnbaums Guide to WDW. Now that timekeeper is closed could this also shed some light on the future of COP?
Very interesting to hear they are not included. Then agian I don't recall them ever being included. I'll have to consult the books on that one.

lnsemsf

There has always been "creative interpretations" of where attractions go and nobody has complained in the past because it's just where they always have been. Frontierland has both The Country Bears and Splash Mountain which is based off of Song of the South. Explain to me how the south and country music attributes to late 1800s western frontier expansion? Just because you find bears out west doesn't mean they should be singing country music. It's not "western" music, it's country music and that's the south. Splash mountain is an excellent ride, but it has nothing to do with the frontier, nothing. They both look like they fit in because people aren't over thinking it. Haunted mansion in Liberty Square? What does it have to do with colonial America? Even the building it's modeled after was built in the 1870s, a hundred years after colonial times. Are the ghosts inside it former colonists from the lost Roanoke colony? Oh and why is Swiss Family Robinson in Adventureland, aren't they dreaded movie characters that everybody is completely against? Isn't that fantasy?

This is different though, This is tomorrowland, and nothing has ever been out of place there right? The gas powered race cars going 3 miles an hour are a perfect fit for "tomorrow." How about "If you had wings" what did that have to do with tomorrow? Didn't airplanes first fly in 1903, or nearly 70 years before WDW? You're going to tell me Buzz Lightyear is not more in tune with the theme of "tomorrow" than any other attraction that had ever been in it's space? Carousel of progress has nothing to do with "tomorrow" at all, never did. It has to do with people in the past thinking their present is fantastic and couldn’t get any better. Even the final scene is always meant to be "our" present, though now even that's 15 years outdated. Mission to the moon, something that happened 2 years before the park opened, and if you're not aware, things that happened before are the past. How about the original movies that were in there? Wasn’t it just scenes of America in the 1970s?

Monsters Inc is sci-fi, and sci-fi is the theme they were going for with the new Tomorrowland. Yes it's not a 100% perfect fit, but only Fantasyland has nothing you can say is out of place because ANYTHING can be fantasy. I'm much more concerned with having a new attraction which I will like, one that's fun then saying it's not "tomorrowish" enough. I love Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Carousel of progress, and hell even The Country Bears (though Swiss family could burn down and I wouldn’t shed a tear.) I don't complain that they are not properly themed, they're fun, and fun is what I am concerned with. No average guest is going to complain it's out of place, they will complain however if what is put there completely sucks. Quality is what needs to be worried about first, then worry about how to theme it loosely enough to fit it in. Don't overthink the theme element, you didn't in years and lands past, just complain if the quality of the attraction is poor.

lnsemsf said:
There has always been "creative interpretations" of where attractions go and nobody has complained in the past because it's just where they always have been. Frontierland has both The Country Bears and Splash Mountain which is based off of Song of the South. Explain to me how the south and country music attributes to late 1800s western frontier expansion? Just because you find bears out west doesn't mean they should be singing country music. It's not "western" music, it's country music and that's the south. Splash mountain is an excellent ride, but it has nothing to do with the frontier, nothing. They both look like they fit in because people aren't over thinking it. Haunted mansion in Liberty Square? What does it have to do with colonial America? Even the building it's modeled after was built in the 1870s, a hundred years after colonial times. Are the ghosts inside it former colonists from the lost Roanoke colony? Oh and why is Swiss Family Robinson in Adventureland, aren't they dreaded movie characters that everybody is completely against? Isn't that fantasy?

This is different though, This is tomorrowland, and nothing has ever been out of place there right? The gas powered race cars going 3 miles an hour are a perfect fit for "tomorrow." How about "If you had wings" what did that have to do with tomorrow? Didn't airplanes first fly in 1903, or nearly 70 years before WDW? You're going to tell me Buzz Lightyear is not more in tune with the theme of "tomorrow" than any other attraction that had ever been in it's space? Carousel of progress has nothing to do with "tomorrow" at all, never did. It has to do with people in the past thinking their present is fantastic and couldn’t get any better. Even the final scene is always meant to be "our" present, though now even that's 15 years outdated. Mission to the moon, something that happened 2 years before the park opened, and if you're not aware, things that happened before are the past. How about the original movies that were in there? Wasn’t it just scenes of America in the 1970s?

Monsters Inc is sci-fi, and sci-fi is the theme they were going for with the new Tomorrowland. Yes it's not a 100% perfect fit, but only Fantasyland has nothing you can say is out of place because ANYTHING can be fantasy. I'm much more concerned with having a new attraction which I will like, one that's fun then saying it's not "tomorrowish" enough. I love Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Carousel of progress, and hell even The Country Bears (though Swiss family could burn down and I wouldn’t shed a tear.) I don't complain that they are not properly themed, they're fun, and fun is what I am concerned with. No average guest is going to complain it's out of place, they will complain however if what is put there completely sucks. Quality is what needs to be worried about first, then worry about how to theme it loosely enough to fit it in. Don't overthink the theme element, you didn't in years and lands past, just complain if the quality of the attraction is poor.

Monsters Inc. does not belong in Tommorowland. Theme wise its wrong and on top of that there are already too many toon charecters and an existing Pixar ride.

imagineer boy

lnsemsf said:

Frontierland has complex layers of themes. On one hand its a wild west gold rush boom town, and on the other its the wild un tamed wilderness. Bears are in the wild untamed wilderness, I consider country music the music of the west, and its themed in kind of a country lodge, so that makes three clicks that make it work in Frontierland. Song of the south is a bit of a stretch, I would agree, but even though it takes place in the south, it has a rustic frontier feel to it. It is based on a Disney movie, but its the only movie based attraction in the whole land. I would perfer that Disney only limited atleast one character based attraction per land outside of Fantaseyland. Atleast there's not a bunch of other attractions centered around Brother Bear or home on the range scattered around it. Haunted Mansion is also a bit of a stretch for liberty square, sure, but its not so out of place that its bizaar like Mosnters Inc would be.

Insemsf said:
This is different though, This is tomorrowland, and nothing has ever been out of place there right? The gas powered race cars going 3 miles an hour are a perfect fit for "tomorrow." How about "If you had wings" what did that have to do with tomorrow? Didn't airplanes first fly in 1903, or nearly 70 years before WDW? You're going to tell me Buzz Lightyear is not more in tune with the theme of "tomorrow" than any other attraction that had ever been in it's space?

Basically the old tomorrowland focused on man's achievements and creations while focusing on the future. When it was made into the tomorrowland as we know it today, they didn't have within the budget to do anything to it at the moment. That's why they replaced it with Buzz years later.

Insemsf said:
Carousel of progress has nothing to do with "tomorrow" at all, never did. It has to do with people in the past thinking their present is fantastic and couldn’t get any better. Even the final scene is always meant to be "our" present, though now even that's 15 years outdated.

Um, the whole theme song is that there's a great big beautiful TOMORROW. Technically, I'd consider that its focus is on the future. Actually, the final scene is supposed to be in the not too distant future. Its a little dated now, sure, but when it was made, it was meant to represent the future acurately. The whole soul and essence of CoP is seeing how our lives have changed over the years, and how we are hopeful for a brighter future. Technically, that makes the ride deal with the future.

Insemsf said:

Monsters Inc is sci-fi?!:confused: :veryconfu I consider it more fantasy than sci fi. It doesn't have space ships, no aliens, no time travel, the story technically takes place in the present rather than the future, nothing that even fits in the sci fi catagory. Sure, they have high tech stuff, but its still not sci fi. Personally, I think that any average guest is atleast gonna give a little thought that Mosnters Inc is a little out of place. And IMO, Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, CoP, and Country Bears are all properly themed enough with a good spirit that makes them fit in their lands perfectly. But if they adapted the alien futuristic sci-fi with the characters with mosnters inc, then the result would be a mess because they just don't fit together. Period.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom