Timekeeper AND Carousel closing?

PintoColvig

Original Poster
Jim Hill (I know, I know, some think he is a rumor monger) is reporting on his site that MK managers have told cast members that not only is The Timekeeper closing but that CoP is expected to close by the Fall. Can anyone confirm this rumor? :confused: :cry: :mad: :eek: :( :lookaroun

I cant confirm but I keep seeing rumors from reliable sources that it will finally be closing. But its ok because im sure WDI has some amazing new attraction that they plan to replace it with.:sohappy:

wannab@dis

I don't see closing CoP as the major issue that many do, but I'm not sure I believe it's going to happen very soon. They just spent time and money on a rehab of CoP. Sure, this may be a right hand/left hand issue, but I have a feeling that it will be there a little longer.

matthope03

I believe that sooner or later CoP will close to make way for a new attraction. However, I tend not to believe that it will close later this fall. I know quite a few people are banking a very big rehab in tommorrowland starting in January of 2007. We all know that Space Mountain will be going down sooner than later for a major rehab. Maybe not a complete makeover like what DL got, but it will be a significant rehab to fix some issues. In my opinion, CoP will not get replaced until AFTER Space Mountain receives its rehab. Unless of course they are able to replace CoP in a very short amount of time, which I do not see happening.

Empress Room

Certainly, a prediction that Timekeeper and/or CoP will be closing isn't exactly going out on the limb, is it? Both of these attractions have been seasonal (at best) for quite some time. What I always find funny about JHMedia's "scoops" and "inside information" is that they are invariably tempered by some limiting language. In this case, he tells us that they are closing by Fall, BUT that this decision was made prior to the Disney-Pixar deal so there may be a reprieve for one or both attractions.

Either you have a scoop, or you don't. Talk about hedging one's bets.

wannab@dis

Empress Room said:
Certainly, a prediction that Timekeeper and/or CoP will be closing isn't exactly going out on the limb, is it? Both of these attractions have been seasonal (at best) for quite some time. What I always find funny about JHMedia's "scoops" and "inside information" is that they are invariably tempered by some limiting language. In this case, he tells us that they are closing by Fall, BUT that this decision was made prior to the Disney-Pixar deal so there may be a reprieve for one or both attractions.

Either you have a scoop, or you don't. Talk about hedging one's bets.
Oh yeah, JHM always has some caveat that will allow him an out on his 'rumors'. If they had the info prior to the Pixar deal, why wasn't it released then? :rolleyes:

Captain Chaos

SpenceMan, my reliable information told me CoP and Timekeeper will become Harry Potter and the attraction will actually be a monorail ride from the Timekeeper building to Hogsworth (sp?) and back again....

AndyP

dxer07002 said:
SpenceMan, my reliable information told me CoP and Timekeeper will become Harry Potter and the attraction will actually be a monorail ride from the Timekeeper building to Hogsworth (sp?) and back again....

I love a joke but, every thread :brick:

Anyway, shame to hear about Timekeeper, but lets hope we have a good addition to tomorrowland. I'm hoping for an original attraction, but we'll see! I'm hoping CoP stays though. Plus I don't see them spending money to redo the seating etc as has been reported if they are going to close it.

CaptainMichael

Check the main page of wdwmagic.com, Time Keeper closes indefinitely this month to make way for a new attraction. This has to keep CoP safe for awhile.

STR8FAN2005 said:
Check the main page of wdwmagic.com, Time Keeper closes indefinitely this month to make way for a new attraction. This has to keep CoP safe for awhile.

wrong. I predict COP and Space Mountain will both be shut down by the end of the year. If you think COP will stay open just to keep enough attractions open in Tommorowland THINK AGAIN. Disneyland's tommorowland lasted from 1998-2005 with only Star Tours, HISTSA, autopia, and a rundown space mountain operational. Now Disney isnt stupid or cheap anymore so im sure they already have replacement attractions in place before they close down a ride in Tommorrowland anymore.

CaptainMichael

Ghostbuster626 said:
wrong. I predict COP and Space Mountain will both be shut down by the end of the year. If you think COP will stay open just to keep enough attractions open in Tommorowland THINK AGAIN. Disneyland's tommorowland lasted from 1998-2005 with only Star Tours, HISTSA, autopia, and a rundown space mountain operational.
Why would they close CoP??? I think they have enough work at the moment to be getting done. I'm shocked with all of the projects they are fixing to undertake.

CaptainMichael

PhilharMagician said:
As Corrus put it "COP will be closed for good by the end of the year"
And as others have reported, and I have seen, CoP continues to be rehabbed little by little and attendance is good.

I trust Corrus, but things change.

Now that Eisner is gone progress can finally be made at WDW. We have to make up for ten years of medoicre attractions! Im glad there getting the ball rolling. I would love to be there the day the bull dozers drive into Magic Kingdom to build something new over the ashes of old. I hope they shut down Space Mountain soon and gut that sucker to make way for the vastly superior California version.

PhilharMagician

STR8FAN2005 said:
And as others have reported, and I have seen, CoP continues to be rehabbed little by little and attendance is good.

I trust Corrus, but things change.

I understand what you are saying. I went on COP last week and I will say I have not had a chance to get in one of the theaters with the new seating. I rode 4 time in December and the once last week and have always sat in the crooked torn old seats. Does anyone know which color theater got the new seats?
The capacity has been I would estimate about 10% most times I am at the show. Even on Thanksgiving it was maybe at 20% and the park was mobbed.
I personally love the show and would like to see an update to the final scene to reflect the past few years and keep it running. COP is always a nice thing to go see when all of the other rides and shows have long waits or the heat is just to much and you want to sit down and cool off for a while.

COP RIP! I am going to miss you!!!!!:cry:

Epcot82Guy

COP is an interesting ballgame. It is a huge part of my childhood, and I will be definitely sharing MY opinions with Disney both in letters and in dollars spent (and I will say that closing this attraction permanently will be a nail in a long-time-coming coffin regarding how often I visit the resort). However, I am not going to be quick to jump on this boat. Timekeeper is on borrowed time. Unfortunately, it uses technology that has simply become outdated now that 3D films and other effects are the norm.

The major issue I see, however, is a seeming push back toward the classics. Granted, much of that has to do with the HCOE, but nothing seems to suggest the trend is going otherwise. Whether it is renovated, moved (Epcot or DL as unlikely as those might be), or restored, COP has a major role in SOME Disney park. Certainly the business decisions must be considered in maintaining an attraction, but in a time when new moderate attractions seem to be constantly on borrowed time (TimeKeeper, Food Rocks, several shows at MGM, etc.), there is an argument to be made that replacing something twice is no cheaper than increased maintenance amounts.

Regardless, losing COP would be a travesty IMHO just as would be running it in its current condition.

mickeysgal

It really upsets me to hear that the end of CoP could be soon...I make sure I visit every time I'm in the "World". I wonder if the attraction could be moved to Epcot maybe in one of the Innovention buildings. I think it would fit well near the House of the Future.... I hope they come up with some way to preserve at least some of it. Only time will tell.

PintoColvig

Original Poster
Epcot82Guy said:
Whether it is renovated, moved (Epcot or DL as unlikely as those might be), or restored, COP has a major role in SOME Disney park.

I have warred in my heart over CoP. I love it. I have fond memories of it. I've enjoyed sharing it with my children. Yet, it obviously no longer fits in the the New Tomorrowland. I don't want it to go off into rehab neverland but I also don't want it to stand in the way of progress (no pun intended!) Besides it was one of Walt's grand attractions in its day.

In my opinion, the best option is to find another location for it. Remember, CoP had its start at the 1964 World's Fair which was OUTSIDE of a theme park. Could it not taken back OUT of its current location inside the MK and placed elsewhere. I have suggested on another thread that it be placed at DTD. They could restore it back to its original 1964 script and presentation. This would mean they would no longer have to try keeping the last scene updated. They could offer more as an historical attraction. A small fee could be charged for DTD visitors to ride it.

icorsix said:
I have warred in my heart over CoP. I love it. I have fond memories of it. I've enjoyed sharing it with my children. Yet, it obviously no longer fits in the the New Tomorrowland. I don't want it to go off into rehab neverland but I also don't want it to stand in the way of progress (no pun intended!) Besides it was one of Walt's grand attractions in its day.

In my opinion, the best option is to find another location for it. Remember, CoP had its start at the 1964 World's Fair which was OUTSIDE of a theme park. Could it not taken back OUT of its current location inside the MK and placed elsewhere. I have suggested on another thread that it be placed at DTD. I would suggest they restore it back to its original 1964 script and presentation. This would mean they would no longer have to try keeping the last scene updated. They could offer more as an historical attraction. A small fee could be charged for DTD visitors to ride it.

There was of course that "rumor" that the COP family would be moved into a new attraction at Epcot as part of Project: Gemini...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom