Time to stop all this "Eisner is cheap" crap!

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by 3IdAlienKid
But consider doing a Google search on any business article on Eisner from about one to two years ago (before the Roy/Stanley manouever) assuming they're still archived. I think you'll find that most qualified bean counters have been scratching their heads for a while at why Eisner - with his recent track record - is still CEO. All agree that any other company would have forced a resignation years ago (or that a CEO with less ego would have voluntarily retired/stepped down). So it's not just us on the discussion boards, it's not just Al Lutz or Jim Hill, it's not just Roy Disney and his "dysfunctional relationship with Eisner." It's also the market insiders and consultants, people more qualified to talk about it than me.

:D for those interested, i've got a few articles that i've found on the net for my research..they're rather good!

http://www.forbes.com/2001/04/26/eisner.html

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/news/response.cfm?ID=661

and one of my personal faves,
http://www.slate.msn.com/id/2069052

no2apprentice

Right now, I root out evil and lies, through the use of intelligence, dedication, perseverance, computers, and dactyloscopy.

But enough about my work. As far as root beer, the brand at Cracker Barrell is the best I've tasted in awhile. Can't remember it's name.

As far as sasparilla, it's been so long since I've had one, I can't recall any brands.

Disneyland1970

Darn I picked the wrong weekend to go to WDW! I missed this thread!

Please excuse me as I go back a few pages and reply to some people on here.

LadyDarling.. I am also a California Native( until 2 years ago) and was quite dismayed my first and only visit to DCA. Yes Soaring is cool and the idea of the entire park was pleasant,but.... they fell far short for all the HYPE, Like i've said earlier on other threads Knotts Berry Farm had this park( Roaring 20's and river ride) 20 years ago. I applaud your positive thinking, but I miss the parking lot more than I like this park. They took the cheap way out. Yes Walt had trouble opening DL. But considering this was the first undertaking of its kind anywhere and completed in a year... I think it is incredible what he had! And not to be smart, but 14th generation Californian?? Lets see if everyone in your family had there first kid at 15X14=210. California Had its 150th in 1998. Are you a Native American?

Peteralt....Hmm where do I start. Eisner did great 20 years..... We have all heard it! I have been to DL at least 35 times in my life and WDW 10 times in past 2 years. Whatever Mike did before it's not working now. I'm not looking at stock and t.v or sports just Disney Parks. He has let the parks go to H**L! I caught myself getting excited at Splash Mountain being Painted. Then I thought it probably hasn't been done in so long they had to! Then I rode it ,half of the AA is not working, and was not working on my trip in Dec. How long should these things take to be fixed?? Some AA was not working in Sept also. DO we just forget about these?? They do not lower the price to get and all but refuse to fix this ride you give him credit for building. WHY?

Mike is still charging full price though. Mike keeps every Register in working order. I did not find one broke! Plus Mike Considers this a PREMIUM time frame to enjoy the parks. So Hotels on property are more expensive. But Mike forgot to Extend the park hours. So it cost more to stay for same amount of time. I'm not sure if you spent your childhood in Disney Parks like many of us on here have. But I can remember DL being open from 7am to 1am. Plus 2 day parades, 2 electrical parades,fireworks, clean restrooms, friendly CM's ( not that Cm's arent friendly now)and it was a big deal for 1 ride to be down. Granted this was summer hours.

Now 20 years later some rides are vacant and have been for a while(SUBS for example) Park hours are short Fireworks are great, but go off right before closing. Have to fight crowds to get out. There are many more examples of decline that have been repeated many times on here. Parks are needing paint. Anyone rent a stroller at MGM lately?

Thats what I want back, the parks of my memories. I know it takes a strong company to do the things I remember. Mike did have a strong company. It is strong now, on paper maybe, but Mike has paid too little attention to the things that built it, the parks and animation. Yes he has a hit now and then,but more failures than hits lately.(on a company as a whole..please take note I have not mentioned that studio that starts with a P) The Theme Parks used to set the example, but lately they have fallen short of what they could be. But of course this is only my opinion. People are always saying,"Don't be quick to blame Mike for everything!" but these same people want to give Mike Credit for every good thing that has happened since he took the job. What gives?? You take all credit good or bad if thats how we are keeping score.

And you said Mike did not have to build DCA... Like he did us a favor. You keep bringing up stock and bottom lines. What would Disneys Bottom line look like if DCA, DLP and his other ventures where not bought or built. What if he just did creative rides or little things in a big way instead of the other way around??? There are only so many rich shieks to keep the party going!

Besides if your stock was doing so good why did you sell?? And when is the last time it split? And yes I do own 250 shares. Did you sell at the same time Mike did?

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Originally posted by Disneyland1970
Darn I picked the wrong weekend to go to WDW! I missed this thread!

Please excuse me as I go back a few pages and reply to some people on here.

LadyDarling.. I am also a California Native( until 2 years ago) and was quite dismayed my first and only visit to DCA. Yes Soaring is cool and the idea of the entire park was pleasant,but.... they fell far short for all the HYPE, Like i've said earlier on other threads Knotts Berry Farm had this park( Roaring 20's and river ride) 20 years ago. I applaud your positive thinking, but I miss the parking lot more than I like this park. They took the cheap way out. Yes Walt had trouble opening DL. But considering this was the first undertaking of its kind anywhere and completed in a year... I think it is incredible what he had! And not to be smart, but 14th generation Californian?? Lets see if everyone in your family had there first kid at 15X14=210. California Had its 150th in 1998. Are you a Native American?

Peteralt....Hmm where do I start. Eisner did great 20 years..... We have all heard it! I have been to DL at least 35 times in my life and WDW 10 times in past 2 years. Whatever Mike did before it's not working now. I'm not looking at stock and t.v or sports just Disney Parks. He has let the parks go to H**L! I caught myself getting excited at Splash Mountain being Painted. Then I thought it probably hasn't been done in so long they had to! Then I rode it ,half of the AA is not working, and was not working on my trip in Dec. How long should these things take to be fixed?? Some AA was not working in Sept also. DO we just forget about these?? They do not lower the price to get and all but refuse to fix this ride you give him credit for building. WHY?

Mike is still charging full price though. Mike keeps every Register in working order. I did not find one broke! Plus Mike Considers this a PREMIUM time frame to enjoy the parks. So Hotels on property are more expensive. But Mike forgot to Extend the park hours. So it cost more to stay for same amount of time. I'm not sure if you spent your childhood in Disney Parks like many of us on here have. But I can remember DL being open from 7am to 1am. Plus 2 day parades, 2 electrical parades,fireworks, clean restrooms, friendly CM's ( not that Cm's arent friendly now)and it was a big deal for 1 ride to be down. Granted this was summer hours.

Now 20 years later some rides are vacant and have been for a while(SUBS for example) Park hours are short Fireworks are great, but go off right before closing. Have to fight crowds to get out. There are many more examples of decline that have been repeated many times on here. Parks are needing paint. Anyone rent a stroller at MGM lately?

Thats what I want back, the parks of my memories. I know it takes a strong company to do the things I remember. Mike did have a strong company. It is strong now, on paper maybe, but Mike has paid too little attention to the things that built it, the parks and animation. Yes he has a hit now and then,but more failures than hits lately.(on a company as a whole..please take note I have not mentioned that studio that starts with a P) The Theme Parks used to set the example, but lately they have fallen short of what they could be. But of course this is only my opinion. People are always saying,"Don't be quick to blame Mike for everything!" but these same people want to give Mike Credit for every good thing that has happened since he took the job. What gives?? You take all credit good or bad if thats how we are keeping score.

And you said Mike did not have to build DCA... Like he did us a favor. You keep bringing up stock and bottom lines. What would Disneys Bottom line look like if DCA, DLP and his other ventures where not bought or built. What if he just did creative rides or little things in a big way instead of the other way around??? There are only so many rich shieks to keep the party going!

Besides if your stock was doing so good why did you sell?? And when is the last time it split? And yes I do own 250 shares. Did you sell at the same time Mike did?

Thank you. I appreciate the response and the opportunity to answer your questions. Now, where should I begin? I'll start with park quality. To respond to this point, I have to go back to Eisner's first decade at Disney, talk about the 94-95 period, talk about the Pressler period, and talk about the now period. We're talking about four very different periods here.

Okay, let's start with the 80's. (I'm sorry to all those who just want to talk about recent years, but I have to bring up all time periods to put my opinion into perspective) I remember going to the Magic Kingdom during (I'd say) mid-80's. I remember a horrible experience on Its a Small World. AA figures all over the place weren't operational. Props were litterally falling to peices. The up-keep of this attraction was (you could tell) non-existent for years! This is only one example.

Why was Its a Small World kept this way? Why weren't these classics kept in good condition? On top of that, NO new attractions were added to the MK during the 80's, except for the temporary Mickey's Birthdayland in 1988. Why? The answer lies in pre-Eisner management. Pre-Eisner management decided that the MK was finished. ALL (and I do mean ALL quite litterally) new spending on attractions at WDW went to EPCOT Center, who's cost were spirally out of control (multiples of what had been projected). I will give credit to pre-Eisner management for finding money to rebuilt Fantasyland at DL during this time period.

Now, Eisner has been on the job for a few years. Mickey's Birthdayland was a quick, cheap fix. But, starting in the 90's, real money started pouring into the MK. I remember a trip to WDW during the early 90's and seeing It's a Small Work FIXED! I was so happy that finally Disney management was at least FIXING what was broken!! Then, in 1992, Splash Mountain! You can imagine the delight I had in seeing the first new major attraction open at MK since BTMRR! And it kept coming...

In 1994-95, after Frank Wells died, Eisner made HIMSELF President and CFO of the company. This time period was if the flood gates opened on funds for rehabs. Almost every attraction at Fantasyland was rennovated (though, I would have loved to have seen a 1983-style DL Fantasyland rehab), Tomorrowland was completely redone (and with a budget of $100 million, including two new major attractions, and Walt Disney's Caroussel of Progress in 1994), and Adventureland began a rebuild. Also during this period, Future World at EPCOT went through a major rehab and Disney-MGM Studios was gearing up for major expansion.

Little things here and there were added all over the place over the past few years (example, the eyes that open and close on the tomb stone at the Haunted Mansion). Things slowed during the Pressler years. During the Pressler years, more gift shops started to sprout (Emporium on Main Street...ugggh). Only one (cheap) attraction was approved (Aladdin's Magic Carpets). During this period, Pressler cancelled construction on what would have been the New Adventureland's flagship attraction... Fire Mountain!

Then Pressler was forced out. Much of the disarray that exists today at the MK can be directly blamed on Pressler. But now things are starting to get back into gear. Stitch Escape is being built at a comfortable budget (with new technology and a new generation of AA figures... yeah!) and plans for new E-tickets (such as Fire Mountain) are being dusted off. While I have no idea if Fire Mountain will ever get built, I do know one thing: There are BIG plans for the 20KUtS Lagoon!!!!

Additionally, I read a recent article stating that Imagineers are working on a HUGE Pirates of the Caribbean rehab, including updated AA's and the sword battle found in the Paris version. We all know that Its a Small World will be rehabbed again, but this time with a big budget. Next year, the Haunted Mansion will be upgraded, making way for the seasonal Nightmare before Christmas overlay.

Shifting gears, about my Disney stock. I sold it at the beginning of the 90's recession, just in the nick of time. After I sold it, the stock took a nose dive and took many years to finally recover.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Some people seem to have the maturity to express views without getting hostile, for those of you who do not approve of this thread dont read it.

Quick question who appointed you the guardians of converstation any way?

Disneyland1970

Peteralt,

I am very happy you brought up IASW!! Your Description of the ride from the mid 80's is almost exactly how the ride was on Saturday. I must admit that most most of the AA was working but the NEW ADDED EFFECT of a nice brown oil slick ring on every boat adds so much to the RIDE:)

Most of the rope lighting around the building cut outs in the loading area is burned out and hanging by threads. Very classy I must say. It is very well done on the wall near the exit ramp! Mike must be proud when he rides the boats and see how he has made a difference.

You can blame Pressler all you want, but the downfall of the parks still happened on Eisners watch. I see you mentioned a refurb of IASW, but how long would it take to clean up the boats, and fix the A/C in the building in the summer? Plus how long away is this refurb. The 20K subs have been gone for long time now?

I never remeber the parks having the apperarnce of being dirty. They have really fallen in this area. It has also been reported on this web page and others that the maintenace of the parks is very low compared to 5 years ago. I don't think a company the size of Disney would have any problem finding painters and maintenance people to take care of these little details that seem to be mounting up, not being fixed. I also bring up the BTMRR accident of last year. Yes people have died in the parks before this, but never from poor maintenace practices.

As mentioned in an earlier reply, you are a wealth of dates and info! I do not consider myself an expert on WDW and somewhat of a DL expert. I do not have an inside source for info. BUT,I do know that things are not as good as they used to be. I noticed you did not reply to my points of shorter hours and related issues. I would be very interested in your answer for these decisions. I would also like to hear about how you feel DLP and DCA are helping and not hindering the DIS CO.

One thing I did not mention earlier, but would like to hear your view on is the COST of a visit that has seemed to reach the point of being out of the reach of many. I do not really go to other parks so maybe $2.50 for a coke is the norm. I do feel that the prices are on the verge of theft. Having to budget $35-40 per meal for a family of three seems to me a bit high. Plus this is eating FAST FOOD style restaurants not sit down. We spent $25 per head @ O'hana on Sat night. This seemed high to me? I must confess that I am not much for buffets.

$39 for a sweatshirt is also a bit steep, isn't it. The shirts are quite thin now also. seems to be another corner being cut to me. Now I know you think Mike is not reponsible for everything at the parks, but when he puts himself in such a powerful position, isn't he asking for the negativity when,I, his customer is not happy with my experience? I also feel that most people who are long time guests agree with me.

Mike is commander and chief of the company and has gotten very rich from it. He has to have some responsiblity for the Presslers he let work there. Why aren't the parks a buzz with clean up and refurb?? How long has Pressler been gone?

I do agree he might have saved Disney in the earlier part of his career, but I feel Mike has overstayed his welcome. I also give alot of credit to his early achievements to Frank Wells.

A leader is only as good as the last decision they made, history is history.

LadyDarling

So we are all agreed.

I did take me more than 1 visit to DCA to realize the good points. I didn't even step into the Animation attraction until my second time. THAT was blast, but then, I'm into all kinds of entertainment, and art is one of them.

As for the price - my apartment in a scummy part of Escondido, CA just went up to $900. So $50 doesn't seem too outrageous to me, considering the rest of the economy currently.

As for the hours - DLR is still open late/early during the summer time (usually 8am for DL park until 12am, with main street staying open until 1am. DCA usually has shorter hours- something like 9am to 10:30pm or so). Not much touring you can do in the summer time in 2 hours.

You have to look at the envirment when it comes to the place being dirty (litter in particular) when comparing it to WDW. WDW is sort of out by itself, not in the heart of a city. People who go there generally spend a lot of money and are on vacation. A lot of the population of Disneyland are kids who are fairly local and could afford the $60 Southeren Californian Annual Pass.

I do agree a change in watch is called for, and plan on making that clear in my votes. Every leader outlasts his/her time at some point and it's time we revamped things.

And to the point of me being a 14th generation native californian - I'll put it this way - I qualify for scholarships based on my bloodlines, so yes, I am native American.

And with that, I sign off on this topic!
Have a great not-a-monday! :)
~J. Darling

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Originally posted by Disneyland1970
Peteralt,

I am very happy you brought up IASW!! Your Description of the ride from the mid 80's is almost exactly how the ride was on Saturday. I must admit that most most of the AA was working but the NEW ADDED EFFECT of a nice brown oil slick ring on every boat adds so much to the RIDE:)

Most of the rope lighting around the building cut outs in the loading area is burned out and hanging by threads. Very classy I must say. It is very well done on the wall near the exit ramp! Mike must be proud when he rides the boats and see how he has made a difference.

You can blame Pressler all you want, but the downfall of the parks still happened on Eisners watch. I see you mentioned a refurb of IASW, but how long would it take to clean up the boats, and fix the A/C in the building in the summer? Plus how long away is this refurb. The 20K subs have been gone for long time now?

I never remeber the parks having the apperarnce of being dirty. They have really fallen in this area. It has also been reported on this web page and others that the maintenace of the parks is very low compared to 5 years ago. I don't think a company the size of Disney would have any problem finding painters and maintenance people to take care of these little details that seem to be mounting up, not being fixed. I also bring up the BTMRR accident of last year. Yes people have died in the parks before this, but never from poor maintenace practices.

As mentioned in an earlier reply, you are a wealth of dates and info! I do not consider myself an expert on WDW and somewhat of a DL expert. I do not have an inside source for info. BUT,I do know that things are not as good as they used to be. I noticed you did not reply to my points of shorter hours and related issues. I would be very interested in your answer for these decisions. I would also like to hear about how you feel DLP and DCA are helping and not hindering the DIS CO.

One thing I did not mention earlier, but would like to hear your view on is the COST of a visit that has seemed to reach the point of being out of the reach of many. I do not really go to other parks so maybe $2.50 for a coke is the norm. I do feel that the prices are on the verge of theft. Having to budget $35-40 per meal for a family of three seems to me a bit high. Plus this is eating FAST FOOD style restaurants not sit down. We spent $25 per head @ O'hana on Sat night. This seemed high to me? I must confess that I am not much for buffets.

$39 for a sweatshirt is also a bit steep, isn't it. The shirts are quite thin now also. seems to be another corner being cut to me. Now I know you think Mike is not reponsible for everything at the parks, but when he puts himself in such a powerful position, isn't he asking for the negativity when,I, his customer is not happy with my experience? I also feel that most people who are long time guests agree with me.

Mike is commander and chief of the company and has gotten very rich from it. He has to have some responsiblity for the Presslers he let work there. Why aren't the parks a buzz with clean up and refurb?? How long has Pressler been gone?

I do agree he might have saved Disney in the earlier part of his career, but I feel Mike has overstayed his welcome. I also give alot of credit to his early achievements to Frank Wells.

A leader is only as good as the last decision they made, history is history.

Sorry, I had an answer about park hours before I went off on my tangent about park quality. But before I talk about that, let me point out that IASW will be down later this year for a very long rehab (see thread in News and Rumors). And answering the "how long does it take" (after Pressler) question... Well, considering that Eisner was made CEO in 1984 and the first ride to get built at MK after he was hired don't come in 1992, you can see that things take some time.

Now back to park hours. I have no answer for you ther than all the parks in the Orlando area have cut back on park hours. I was just at IOA last month and was very disappointed that the park closed at 6:00 p.m!!!!!! Maybe the cut in park hours were done under Pressler and no one has said anything about it since. If Jay says something maybe he will change it. But park hours may have something to do with the season of the year that you are in. In it's off-season, lines will be short, justifying the decrease in park hours. At IOA, we rode each of the rides there THREE times ... ALL of them.. before 6:00!!!!! So, why stay open longer and pay CM's the extra hours if no one is there?

As for prices, if the company could get away with higher prices, I agree with it. If people stop buying, then I disagree with it. I think the company should charge as much as they could get away with until people decide the prices are too much and stop spending all together. Do I like spending more on food, etc.? No, that's why I go in my car and drive two minutes away off property. I'm a Floridian so I could do that. Vacationers, on the other hand, come from out of state with money to spend. So it is good business that Disney do everything in its power to spend that money while they are on their property. But I will still go to the 50's Dine in Theater at Disney-MGM or the spinning resteraunt at The Land because those prices aren't that bad for the extra attraction (which just happens to be also a resteraunt).

EDDITED ADDITION: I forgot to answer the question about DCA and DLP. I haven't been to DLP so I have no opinion on it. But I have been to DCA. I really think the park isn't that bad. I've been to Disney-MGM Studios in Florida when it first opened and can tell you that NOTHING WAS THERE!!! It was VERY different than how it is today. DCA actually offers more than what Disney-MGM Studios did on its Opening Day. So, I say, give it some time and DCA will mature. Already, TZToT is about to open. So, DCA will get people to spend multiple days at DL, getting people to book stays at their hotels. Therefore, it definately helps the company!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom