Time For a Disney Overhaul Competition!

Outbound

1536520815479.png

A red Torii stands to the left of the castle, beckoning all who seek adventure. Step through, and you’ll be whisked off to feudal Japan: a time of Ninjas, Lords, and the Samurai. Explore ancient ruins, confront a dragon, and take part in the Samurai Order! The past has never been this much fun!​

Shogun Falls is a complete retheming of Tokyo Disneyland’s Westernland. Tokyo feels like the forgotten child of Disney Parks, while all the other castle parks are getting updates and expansions, Tokyo has taken a backseat- even the guests talk more about the Disneysea than the land. And I get that the sea is 71% percent of Earth, but doesn’t the land deserve some love too?

Whereas Westernland is a look into American history, Shogun Falls will be a look into Japan’s rich past. To me, Westernland has always been a dead giveaway that Disney is an American company. The Wild West is an American story, perfect for California and Florida, but when it comes to Japan I have to wonder if audiences are that interested in cowboys and sheriffs. If a park is in Japan, and focused on yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy, I think the yesterday portion should include some Japanese history.

NOTE: Here’s a map of Westernland, you can follow along if you’d like: http://www.thirdamendment.com/TokyoDisneylandEnglishMap3.jpg

1536520936939.png
From the park hub, the entrance to Shogun Falls is marked with a giant Torri, a symbol to Shinto, the most prominent religion in Japan. The feudal era was a particularly religious time for the region.
1536520878239.png

All structures have received façade changes from Western to Japanese architecture. To the left of the gateway is the Diamond Sakura (11), a Japanese take on the Diamond Horseshoe. Across the path is a small stand, Kabuki Café (27), which serves shaved ice and sushi snacks.

Close by is the Samurai Academy (10). Replacing the Country Bear Theater is an amphitheater (1st demolishing) where young children can learn to become real samurai. This is a near replica of Jedi Training Academy, which is conveniently not at Disneyland Toyko. The show ends with a duel between Samurai and Ninja.

Straight across is the Scroll Shop (26), where you can get several words painted onto a custom scroll.

Heading further down are a collection of stores and a food court, where live traditional music is played. Right next door is the Oriental Garden (9) replacing the Westernland Shooting Gallery (2nd demolishing). Walkthrough a beautiful garden, sporting a wide variety of plant life.
1536520949732.png

Coming up next is the main attraction of the land, Flight of the Dragon (13). Big Thunder Mountain Railroad receives a complete facelift, with the mountain transforming into Mount Fuji and the que the Imperial Palace.
1536520971119.png
1536520981427.png

On Flight of the Dragon, you’ll board a coaster modeled after an actual Japanese Dragon, zipping past villages and soaring over the tips of the highest mountains.
1536520989233.png

While you’re flying, you might notice the Grand Railroad (6), a ride that goes through Adventureland, Shogun Falls, and Critter Country. This attraction has been rethemed from an American railroad to a Japanese one. It’s a sign of Japan’s growing industrialization following their emergence from isolationism.
1536521008681.png

Next to Flight of the Dragon is Teppan Edo (25) which serves grilled steak, seafood, and chicken- all while getting a great view of the Ieyasu’s Island (14). Named after the first shogun, this island captures the spirit of adventure.

1536521055025.png

If you don’t feel up to the island, you can always sail around it. Take to the Junk Boat (12), which carries people, not junk, and sails around the Straits of Japan! As you sail, you’ll spot dioramas of Japanese tall tales. The boat also takes you past Critter Country, which has received some light retheming on the outside to blend in better. If possible, the Country Bear Theater will be moving to Critter Country.

At night things get festive, a countdown to the fireworks. Fireworks are a big deal in Japanese culture, and this is represented at Shogun Falls. 15 minutes prior a party commences, takes a short break for the show, and continues afterwards.
1536521070102.png

So whenever you visit Tokyo Disney Resort, be sure to head over to Shogun Falls: a land where time has stopped but the adventure just begun.

PerGron

PRIMORDIA

If there's one land in any Disney park that is disappointing and people hate, it's Pixar Pi... It's Dinoland U.S.A at Animal Kingdom. Dinoland was not only obviously a rushed project after the failure of Euro Disneyland caused massive budget cuts to Disneyland. Not only is Dinoland a sloppy, horribly themed, painful experience to behold, it also replaced the beautiful masterpiece that was to become Beastly Kingdomme.

Well, with this project, Beastly Kingdomme is still a far-gone dream, but Chester and Hester also packed up and moved their carnival far away. However, the Primordia Dinosaur Institute moved in right on top of the old carnival grounds. All of the carnival games have been removed (I don't count these as part of the only remove two buildings as they are temporary pop up buildings that wouldn't cost much to remove at all.)

First off, Finding Nemo the Musical has been removed. This attraction will be replaced with a new show featuring puppets called Prehistory: Live. It's essentially a Planet Earth episode, featuring a single paleontologist actor who has been working for the Dino Institute to revive Dinosaurs to show people. These dinosaurs will be created by partnering with the company who produced the Walking with Dinosaurs live show, utilizing their incredible puppetry, while melding it with real science, and a bit of Disney Magic to make a show really worth experiencing. The theater remains basically the same, from the upper levels, but the seating has been changed a bit. The stage takes over most of the lower level seating as the puppets need much more room to move around. For this reason, the building will be expanded to allow stadium seating surrounding three sides of the stage. It would take some down time and construction, but could be do-able to work on this amazing show. The building facade will also be designed to look a lot like the concept for Jurassic Park: San Diego in the film The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

The Boneyard and the Olden Gate Bridge will remain pretty much in tact, but with less of a carnival feel and spiced up to feel much more scientific. More types of dinosaur bones can be dug up in the digging area, and all of the play areas will be changed up to feel less like climbing in a jungle gym, and more like experiencing a real dinosaur dig site, but with the element of sliding down the reconstructed brachiosaurus spine.

Taking up where Chester and Hester's DinoRama was (including TriceraTop Spin and Primeval Whirl which are the two buildings I'm demolishing) are a few attractions. One attraction is the long forgotten Excavator coaster, which will take guests through a dinosaur digsite. It will be a wooden-looking coaster (actually metal but painted and constructed to appear wooden) which is made to look like scaffolding around a real digsite. Zipping past dino-bones, a campsite, and possibly even a fully constructed brachiosaurus skeleton.
Finally, for attractions, we must talk about what is, in my opinion, the second best attraction at Animal Kingdom: Dinosaur. Well, Dinosaur shouldn't change one bit. I personally adore this attraction, and while I may be in the minority, I think that minus a few updates to animatronics and projections, this attraction fits perfectly in Primordia.

So that’s all of Primordia. All of the restaurants and what not will remain the same, I do like the idea of kitschy restaurants opening up near real scientific institutions (I.E. Roswell, NM).

Edit: Sorry it’s a bit late and without pics. I’ll edit it after with the pics and videos, I just wanted it to upload without the requirement for an admin approval.​

Sam Magic

I was planning on a complete revamp of Future World. It was coming together nicely, but a multitude of events came in the way of me completing it. I'll post a finished version after results are posted, just so that you guys can see what I had in mind. But I apologize for not having it submitted in time for judgement.

NateD1226

Original Poster
Disneyland's tomorrowland: a redo.
Tomorrowland-0012.jpg

The 2 buildings being demolished will be the speedway and innoventions.
The speedway will be replaced by sugar rush, an indoor test track like ride where guests race through the worlds of wreck it ralph.
Innoventions will be replaced by Journey into another world. This dark ride will transport guests to a far away alien planet filled with cute creatures.
Space Mountain will receive another update, not one too large, but it's ghost galaxy that gets the most change. Ghost Galaxy is now about an angry spirit of an astronaut who died in a spaceship crash. But it turns out in the end he was warning the guests of a danger far beyond anything anyone has experienced before (aliens).
Star Tours will be replaced by treasure planet. Soar through planet pirate chaos to get to treasure planet. It will have both a lot and very little to do with the movie.
Buzz Lightyear will be replaced by Alien Exterminators. A dark ride where guests use teleporter guns to teleport the alien version of an insect to a containment area.
Nemo will be replaced by Starfield Bay. A unique version of the ride where the submarine dives to a starry sea full of unique creatures.
Pizza Port will get a complete overhaul. It will gain a unique look with foam chairs and a combination of old school aesthetics. It will be dark and full of backlights, as well as an animatronic band.
Astro Orbitor will be moved to an empty area.
Peoplemover will be demolished and replaced with a new track featuring motorockets, which is similar to rocket rods, but with more twists and turns.
The land will have a revamped look too, no longer will it be purple topia, it will go back to the whites and blues of the classic tomorrowland, with some bronze here and there and keeping the planetary theme.
This is a great tomorrowland redo! I love all the non IP rides! We defiantly need more non IP based rides. What I think you are tying to do is build neighborhoods for each ride and what category it goes with. The only thing I don't know if it actually fits in is the Wreck-it Ralph ride. You seem to make it work though! Amazing Job!

NateD1226

Original Poster
-Liberty Square becoming Sleepy Hollow-

This project will see the Liberty Square be updated, revamped, and lightly rethemed to become Sleepy Hollow. The area will still be themed to a New England village from the same time period, but the focus will shift from patriotism to a haunting atmosphere (not unlike the atmosphere in the area around Haunted Mansion currently in Liberty Square).

Let's start by addressing the elephant in the room with converting Liberty Square.

-The Case against Hall of Presidents-

The Hall of Presidents should close. For multiple reasons.

hall%20of%20presidents%20trump%20main.jpg

For one thing, modern politics has, especially in recent years, become an increasingly divisive topic. In it's current form, the Hall of Presidents has the current president give a speech. As politics become more divisive, the current president speaking has become more and more of a controversial topic. Returning the show to its original form without the current president speaking would be seen as a controversial move and a political stance against whoever the current president would be at the time of the update.

For another thing, the current president speaking is something that, outside of WDW, is usually only seen on the news. The Magic Kingdom is all about escaping reality going as far as having a monorail ride around a lake separating the park from the parking lot. Why go to all that trouble to help guests be immersed in a new world apart from reality only to have guests see an attraction that is reminiscent of watching cable news. Former presidents like Washington and Lincoln speaking doesn't have this effect, but a modern president does.

The attraction is unnecessary. It is a people eating theater based attraction. While WDW does need more people eating attractions, there are a large number of theater based attractions currently in Magic Kingdom. Tiki Room, Country Bears, Carousel of Progress, Phillarmagic, Storytime with Belle... Another short form theater attraction is not needed when all of these exist.

Lastly, Hall of Presidents comes with built in repeating costs. Every 4-8 years a brand new, relatively high quality, animatronic must be designed and built for the new president.

The Hall of Presidents as it currently exists is divisive, doesn't belong in Magic Kingdom, is unnecessary, and expensive.

-What will Happen to Hall of Presidents-

The closure of Hall of Presidents and the retheme of Liberty Square will be seen by some as an unpatriotic move by Disney. To help appease Sam the Eagle and his angry friends as well as to make use of the sets, props, and figures from HoP and Liberty Square that are being moved, a large update to the American Adventure Pavilion/Show will be implemented in Epcot along with a big 4th of July Celebration. The presidents can be implemented into the show and the Liberty Bell recreation will be on display at the pavilion.

MK_LibertySquare_LibertyBell-620x330.jpg

Great care will be taken when moving the Liberty Bell so as to not risk it getting cracked :p

-The Legend of the Headless Horseman-

headless-horseman-1180w-600h-1180x600.jpg

HoP will be replaced by a new Fantasyland style dark ride themed to the story of Ichabod and the Headless Horseman. The ride will be a mix of the madcap style of Mr. Toad with the darker atmosphere of Snow White's Scary Adventure. The ride will be delightfully simple and low tech. Very much a C-Ticket dark ride like the classics.

-The Mark Twain and the Rivers of America-

20170301_046-1000x1500-58b9f8ae5f9b58af5cead353.jpg

The Mark Twain Riverboat will be permenately docked. It adds great kinetics to this are of the park seeing it float around tom Sawyer Island. But Tom Sawyer Island and the Rivers as they currently stand are limiting the park and cutting off access to a major expansion pad. Docking the riverboat will be step one in expanding the park in this direction.

The riverboat's final resting place will not be at it's current station. It will be moved up the river closer to the Mini Mississippi (the dividing line between Frontierland and Liberty Square). Inside the Riverboat will be a new small scale walkthrough attraction. It will be mini museum dedicated to Mark Twain's work featuring miniature dioramas depicting some of his most famous work.

The famous covered bridge from the Headless Horseman cartoon will be placed connecting Sleep Hollow to Tom Sawyer Island (allowing guests to walk there for the first time). It will be place where the current Riverboat dock is along will more greenery and a pumpkin patch.

38e798bb2770e356ce9c4c1e7fd9abec--halloween-pictures-halloween-art.jpg

The rafts to Tom Sawyer's Island will still operate keeping some kinetics and motion in the river.

-Other changes to the Land-

Great Moments in History (But only the American Parts) with the Muppets will still perform throughout the day. After sunset, they will perform a special version of the show telling the story of the Headless Horseman with their same comedic charm.

Columbia Harbor House, Haunted Mansion, Sleepy Hollow Inn, and the shops will all remain more or less the same.

Liberty Tree Tavern will also be essentially the same. The Liberty Bell will be moved, as mentioned earlier. Other than that will be essentially the same.

Van Tessel's will be a new quick service location themed to the Halloween party hosted by Mr. Van Tessel from the Headless Horseman short. It will be focused on drink such as ciders as well as year round pumpkin spice delicacies. It will replace the Diamond Horseshoe Saloon. Being outside of Frontierland, the Saloon never made sense there.

4a4895793860c4416207d6e4d47a3f69.jpg

I absolutely love Sleepy Hollow! So i got really excited reading your ideas! I agree 100% on the Hall Of Presidents. It doesn't belong and is to expensive to update. Sleepy Hollow with the Muppets was a combination that I would never have saw coming but I actually love it! This is an amazing concept! Amazing Job!

NateD1226

Original Poster
View attachment 311619
A red Torii stands to the left of the castle, beckoning all who seek adventure. Step through, and you’ll be whisked off to feudal Japan: a time of Ninjas, Lords, and the Samurai. Explore ancient ruins, confront a dragon, and take part in the Samurai Order! The past has never been this much fun!​

Shogun Falls is a complete retheming of Tokyo Disneyland’s Westernland. Tokyo feels like the forgotten child of Disney Parks, while all the other castle parks are getting updates and expansions, Tokyo has taken a backseat- even the guests talk more about the Disneysea than the land. And I get that the sea is 71% percent of Earth, but doesn’t the land deserve some love too?

Whereas Westernland is a look into American history, Shogun Falls will be a look into Japan’s rich past. To me, Westernland has always been a dead giveaway that Disney is an American company. The Wild West is an American story, perfect for California and Florida, but when it comes to Japan I have to wonder if audiences are that interested in cowboys and sheriffs. If a park is in Japan, and focused on yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy, I think the yesterday portion should include some Japanese history.

NOTE: Here’s a map of Westernland, you can follow along if you’d like: http://www.thirdamendment.com/TokyoDisneylandEnglishMap3.jpg

From the park hub, the entrance to Shogun Falls is marked with a giant Torri, a symbol to Shinto, the most prominent religion in Japan. The feudal era was a particularly religious time for the region.
View attachment 311623
All structures have received façade changes from Western to Japanese architecture. To the left of the gateway is the Diamond Sakura (11), a Japanese take on the Diamond Horseshoe. Across the path is a small stand, Kabuki Café (27), which serves shaved ice and sushi snacks.

Close by is the Samurai Academy (10). Replacing the Country Bear Theater is an amphitheater (1st demolishing) where young children can learn to become real samurai. This is a near replica of Jedi Training Academy, which is conveniently not at Disneyland Toyko. The show ends with a duel between Samurai and Ninja.

Straight across is the Scroll Shop (26), where you can get several words painted onto a custom scroll.

Heading further down are a collection of stores and a food court, where live traditional music is played. Right next door is the Oriental Garden (9) replacing the Westernland Shooting Gallery (2nd demolishing). Walkthrough a beautiful garden, sporting a wide variety of plant life.
View attachment 311627
Coming up next is the main attraction of the land, Flight of the Dragon (13). Big Thunder Mountain Railroad receives a complete facelift, with the mountain transforming into Mount Fuji and the que the Imperial Palace.
View attachment 311628View attachment 311629
On Flight of the Dragon, you’ll board a coaster modeled after an actual Japanese Dragon, zipping past villages and soaring over the tips of the highest mountains.
View attachment 311630
While you’re flying, you might notice the Grand Railroad (6), a ride that goes through Adventureland, Shogun Falls, and Critter Country. This attraction has been rethemed from an American railroad to a Japanese one. It’s a sign of Japan’s growing industrialization following their emergence from isolationism.
View attachment 311631
Next to Flight of the Dragon is Teppan Edo (25) which serves grilled steak, seafood, and chicken- all while getting a great view of the Ieyasu’s Island (14). Named after the first shogun, this island captures the spirit of adventure.

View attachment 311632
If you don’t feel up to the island, you can always sail around it. Take to the Junk Boat (12), which carries people, not junk, and sails around the Straits of Japan! As you sail, you’ll spot dioramas of Japanese tall tales. The boat also takes you past Critter Country, which has received some light retheming on the outside to blend in better. If possible, the Country Bear Theater will be moving to Critter Country.

At night things get festive, a countdown to the fireworks. Fireworks are a big deal in Japanese culture, and this is represented at Shogun Falls. 15 minutes prior a party commences, takes a short break for the show, and continues afterwards.
View attachment 311633
So whenever you visit Tokyo Disney Resort, be sure to head over to Shogun Falls: a land where time has stopped but the adventure just begun.

I'm amazed with this idea! I love bringing the culture to Tokyo! Thanks for the map! It really helped to locate and vision how it would look! I love idea for BTM being turned into Mt. Fugi! The Jedi Academy type Samurai show sounds so fun! Well Done on this challenge!

NateD1226

Original Poster
PRIMORDIA

If there's one land in any Disney park that is disappointing and people hate, it's Pixar Pi... It's Dinoland U.S.A at Animal Kingdom. Dinoland was not only obviously a rushed project after the failure of Euro Disneyland caused massive budget cuts to Disneyland. Not only is Dinoland a sloppy, horribly themed, painful experience to behold, it also replaced the beautiful masterpiece that was to become Beastly Kingdomme.

Well, with this project, Beastly Kingdomme is still a far-gone dream, but Chester and Hester also packed up and moved their carnival far away. However, the Primordia Dinosaur Institute moved in right on top of the old carnival grounds. All of the carnival games have been removed (I don't count these as part of the only remove two buildings as they are temporary pop up buildings that wouldn't cost much to remove at all.)

First off, Finding Nemo the Musical has been removed. This attraction will be replaced with a new show featuring puppets called Prehistory: Live. It's essentially a Planet Earth episode, featuring a single paleontologist actor who has been working for the Dino Institute to revive Dinosaurs to show people. These dinosaurs will be created by partnering with the company who produced the Walking with Dinosaurs live show, utilizing their incredible puppetry, while melding it with real science, and a bit of Disney Magic to make a show really worth experiencing. The theater remains basically the same, from the upper levels, but the seating has been changed a bit. The stage takes over most of the lower level seating as the puppets need much more room to move around. For this reason, the building will be expanded to allow stadium seating surrounding three sides of the stage. It would take some down time and construction, but could be do-able to work on this amazing show. The building facade will also be designed to look a lot like the concept for Jurassic Park: San Diego in the film The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

The Boneyard and the Olden Gate Bridge will remain pretty much in tact, but with less of a carnival feel and spiced up to feel much more scientific. More types of dinosaur bones can be dug up in the digging area, and all of the play areas will be changed up to feel less like climbing in a jungle gym, and more like experiencing a real dinosaur dig site, but with the element of sliding down the reconstructed brachiosaurus spine.

Taking up where Chester and Hester's DinoRama was (including TriceraTop Spin and Primeval Whirl which are the two buildings I'm demolishing) are a few attractions. One attraction is the long forgotten Excavator coaster, which will take guests through a dinosaur digsite. It will be a wooden-looking coaster (actually metal but painted and constructed to appear wooden) which is made to look like scaffolding around a real digsite. Zipping past dino-bones, a campsite, and possibly even a fully constructed brachiosaurus skeleton.
Finally, for attractions, we must talk about what is, in my opinion, the second best attraction at Animal Kingdom: Dinosaur. Well, Dinosaur shouldn't change one bit. I personally adore this attraction, and while I may be in the minority, I think that minus a few updates to animatronics and projections, this attraction fits perfectly in Primordia.

So that’s all of Primordia. All of the restaurants and what not will remain the same, I do like the idea of kitschy restaurants opening up near real scientific institutions (I.E. Roswell, NM).

Edit: Sorry it’s a bit late and without pics. I’ll edit it after with the pics and videos, I just wanted it to upload without the requirement for an admin approval.​
This is an awesome and fun concept. I would have to agree on Pixa... Dinoland. It needs to leave WDW. I love the concept with the Excavator coaster! It is a great attraction from the sounds of it! I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks Dinosaur is perfect and does not to be changed to Indiana Jones. :hilarious: Overall Amazing Job!

NateD1226

Original Poster
Before I post the results, I want to say thank you for participating in my first competition! I loved all your ideas and was hard to pick a winner everytime! This competition was so fun and help me make so many new friends! Please leave me suggestions of what to do if I do a second part of this challenge. Anyways...let's get to the results!

Outbound

Time for a Disney Overhaul Host Praise!

This was a great time, I appreciate how you could join in and out at will, as I did get busy irl towards the middle of the comp and if it had been more "serious" that might have been a problem. But despite the comp's seemingly relaxed nature, I found myself checking for notifications ever half hour on submission day :). The prompts were always neat but each one different enough to keep me coming back.

NateD1226

Original Poster
Time for a Disney Overhaul Host Praise!

This was a great time, I appreciate how you could join in and out at will, as I did get busy irl towards the middle of the comp and if it had been more "serious" that might have been a problem. But despite the comp's seemingly relaxed nature, I found myself checking for notifications ever half hour on submission day :). The prompts were always neat but each one different enough to keep me coming back.
This really was such a great blend of smaller scale comps like the One Sentence and the larger scale comps like Sywtbai and sorcerer's Apprentice. Well done!
Thanks so much for hosting this comp. it was my first one and I’m glad I got to use a smaller comp to practice for the larger ones. If there’s ever a season 2 I look forward to it
This was a fun little competition. Thanks for a good time!
@nated1226

You did a great job hosting! This was really such a fun contest to participate in...even if I joined in on the fun a little late!
Thank you all for the postitive feedback! I'm not ready to start a new season yet but when I do I have a whole batch ideas ready! I can't wait to see what you have to bring to the table next time year. Thanks you all for participating!

Signed,
Nate​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom