Tiki Room .... sad

wdwfan4ver

I went to Tiki room multiple times on my last trip and there was at least 10 to 15 people each of the shows including myself. I went to the Tiki room before midday and past 6 at night. I was at WDW theme parks last week and earlier this week and that means my information is recent.

PhilharMagician

I enjoyed the under new management version, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Did they change it because of the controversy with Gilbert Gottfried? (the voice of Iago, I think he made a racist joke, but I'm not 100% sure, Geico also dropped him as the voice of the duck)

Yes, he made a racist joke about Japan after the tsunami and was fired from AFLAC. Like wdwfan4ver said, his comments were made more than 2 months after the fire happened in The Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management. Since the fire happened in the attic area of the show, most of the damage was too the two AA that were added (Iago & Zazu) for the Under New Management edition. It was decided then to revert back to the original version which is still ended up being slightly modified.

Goofyernmost

I start in Adventure Land do the park from the left.

Done the Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean .... the well the Tiki Room.
Why not, two cast members standing outside it was about 9:45am and the said I was the first guest.

Sad.....

I got thinking is there something wrong with the attraction?
Does it ever fill?
Can it be fixed?

Kind of interesting the Tiki Room and Country Bears are in the same building and the Country Bears is getting TLC.

Couple of things there...I will agree that it is pretty early for a large crowd to be anywhere, but at that time people are running all over to gather FP's and ride the popular rides before the crowds arrive, usually around 10:30 when the park starts to fill. Just for acuracy and to avoid confusion, Tiki and Country Bears are not in the same building, there not even in the same land. Tiki is in Adventureland and CB is in Frontierland. And no, there is nothing wrong with the attraction that a little medication for adult ADD wouldn't take care of. :)

I enjoyed the under new management version, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Did they change it because of the controversy with Gilbert Gottfried? (the voice of Iago, I think he made a racist joke, but I'm not 100% sure, Geico also dropped him as the voice of the duck)

Under New Management WAS a classic example of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". The original Tiki which is basically what you see now was a gentle, fun little show that had no "real" scary parts and was just music (granted old-time music) but was rather soothing. Go to a showing in DL and watch groups of people link arms and sway back and forth while signing "Let's all sing like the birdies sing", to see the impact that the show had/has on a number of generations.

Parents that grew up with the original remember it fondly and more then once I heard people say how disappointed they were with the New Management version. They brought their young kids to see it and instead of being charmed by it's original ambiance, had to take the kids out because Lago was scaring them, with the screaming and raving on. Gilford Gottfried's (VOICE) was one of the biggest problems. It's either tolerated or hated, but mostly the latter. It's OK in small doses but as a show headliner...not so much. When you know the history of the Tiki Room Show, it becomes a lot more enjoyable. It was the first AA show ever to be shown in a theme park and if you look around the room there is hardly a spot anywhere that, at some point, is not animated. The system was very primitive and because of that, in many ways, much more fascinating to think about how they managed to make it all work in what was a far more difficult process then today's would be.

The MaD Hatter

Assuming it hasn't melted by the time I walk from Aloha Isle, will they let you bring Dole Whips into the Tiki Room like they do at DL?

MarkTwain

Sounds more like a result of the time of day to me. Small-scale attractions are never busy early in the morning; people use the smaller crowds during that time to hit up the major attractions before stampedes show up. Trust me, the show would have had a much better crowd toward the afternoon.

And the current version is 100x better than UNM.

BrightImagine

I think at that time of day, everyone is either meandering up Main Street, taking their children to Fantasyland, or running to their favorite "big" ride. I would enjoy getting to watch the Tiki show all by myself!

luv

Yes, it still fills when the park is crowded.

During the first hour, most people are running around trying to do the popular stuff before the lines get too long. And it is the beginning of September, too.

The new Tiki Room is better than the UNM Tiki Room, but they'd have been better off going back to the Original Tiki Room.

kucarachi

I really doubt the tiki room is going to be the first thing anybody does at the magic kingdom...at that time of day people are getting fast passes and riding the big tickets that will have longer lines later. But to be the only person in the tiki room would be disturbing..and any reason you are traveling alone? We save the tiki room for when its hot, we need a break and if we are waiting on a fast pass to JC.

We did get to ride winnie the pooh once at least 10 times in a row during extra magic hours...and for 8 of those rides nobody else was riding...i feel weird when its not busy

I hated the Under New Management version and loved that they replaced it with a more classic version. However, when I went in March of this year I think the rotating thing with the girl showbirds on it was broken because it stayed down the whole show and never rotated...also one of the tiki gods playing the drums was missing an arm...it was just bare metal. Kind of disappointing, and I hope they have fixed it.

MomofKatie

Just for acuracy and to avoid confusion, Tiki and Country Bears are not in the same building, there not even in the same land. Tiki is in Adventureland and CB is in Frontierland.
Actually, the 2 shows are in one building! Tiki Room is housed in the "front" and Country Bears in the "back". Yes, they are in 2 different lands, but they are in the same building. (even though it doesn't seem like it to parkgoers- it's not like they can go from one to the other by going through a doorway or anything).

Mainahman

I hated the Under New Management version and loved that they replaced it with a more classic version. However, when I went in March of this year I think the rotating thing with the girl showbirds on it was broken because it stayed down the whole show and never rotated...also one of the tiki gods playing the drums was missing an arm...it was just bare metal. Kind of disappointing, and I hope they have fixed it.
IT dropped and rotated when i was there in august...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom