Tiffins - A new table service restaurant coming to Discovery Island at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Unomas

Reviewer said that DAK has been crying for a "good" restaurant. I would argue that they had a couple "good" restaurants. But now they have a signature.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Well you have plenty of other choices throughout Disney World. Is it the prices? The food selection?

No burgers, chicken nuggets, or hot dogs no doubt was the deciding factor. IMHO Disney is doing a good job of providing a wide variety of dining with varied cuisines and associated price points.

gdrj

I hope it does well. Some challenges for me would be the following:
1- Signature Restaurant in a Park- While I do dine at signatures, I usually do it outside of a Park. I don't see myself spending a $100 a person after coming off of River Rapids. We usually will shower and change before doing a nicer dinner.
2- Location- We tend to stay near MK or EPCOT where it is easier to get to and avoid busses for Dinner reservations.
3- With AP's it will make it easier to go on a non-park day, not sure if I would go if using a regular ticket, of course if you are staying for the night shows it could work into schedule.

Unomas

I hope it does well. Some challenges for me would be the following:
1- Signature Restaurant in a Park- While I do dine at signatures, I usually do it outside of a Park. I don't see myself spending a $100 a person after coming off of River Rapids. We usually will shower and change before doing a nicer dinner.
2- Location- We tend to stay near MK or EPCOT where it is easier to get to and avoid busses for Dinner reservations.
3- With AP's it will make it easier to go on a non-park day, not sure if I would go if using a regular ticket, of course if you are staying for the night shows it could work into schedule.

In park signatures are tricky. They're not as natural a fit as they are in the resorts. The one that comes to mind that work: Le Cellier. But Epcot is a completely different type of park. Food is part of the experience there. DAK seems to be the sweatiest of the parks. That sounds gross but I have found it to be true. The humidity inside of DAK feels higher and I always find it to be just a bit more exhausting. That's further compounded by the large distances between destinations. With so many great signature options already on property, the family looking to add one signature to their plans probably won't pick this one. But the families on the deluxe dining plan will probably really enjoy having this here - especially since AK is a night time park now.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'm surprised you assumed that was my reason. You don't even know me.

Based upon your assertion that you wont pay X for meal because your admission price was Y presented my assumption that you for lesser priced fare. You can always bring your own food from establishments outside the park, no one has imposed a mandatory dining plan or charge.

bhg469

Seems very risky. If love to try it but they have a really difficult sell to operate in DAK and maintain that upscale offering.

EPCOTCenterLover

Based upon your assertion that you wont pay X for meal because your admission price was Y presented my assumption that you for lesser priced fare. You can always bring your own food from establishments outside the park, no one has imposed a mandatory dining plan or charge.
No, I do not bring food into the parks either. There's just not enough options in DAK, so perhaps eating in an expensive place strikes the wrong note in me. In Epcot, no problem. I travel all over the world and eat "strange" things, so its not the menu at all.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
No, I do not bring food into the parks either. There's just not enough options in DAK, so perhaps eating in an expensive place strikes the wrong note in me. In Epcot, no problem. I travel all over the world and eat "strange" things, so its not the menu at all.

Not enough options. hmmm maybe not enough European inspired ones maybe as outside of Restaurantosaurus you'll be hard pressed to find familar foodstuffs inspired by whats normally on your plate. I travel the globe as well and also outside of typical European environs so as long as its not insects or fermented I'll eat it (exception for Kimchee, I'll eat that without hesitation).

Theres a big difference between "inspired by" and "authentic", Disney tries to reach a happy medium based on availability and local sensibilities... You're not going to find rodents, goat, bats, or bushmeat on any of the menus. They also have to keep in mind dietary restrictions so not everything can be rolled in nuts, drowned in dairy, or stuffed in a wheat bun.

Jon81uk

In park signatures are tricky. They're not as natural a fit as they are in the resorts. The one that comes to mind that work: Le Cellier. But Epcot is a completely different type of park. Food is part of the experience there. DAK seems to be the sweatiest of the parks. That sounds gross but I have found it to be true. The humidity inside of DAK feels higher and I always find it to be just a bit more exhausting. That's further compounded by the large distances between destinations. With so many great signature options already on property, the family looking to add one signature to their plans probably won't pick this one. But the families on the deluxe dining plan will probably really enjoy having this here - especially since AK is a night time park now.

But if you are warm from being at DAK all day then a leisurely dinner in the aircon at Tiffins could be very nice before going for a night safari and then Rivers of Light. Would be nicer than heading to a resort signature then back to the park...

Unomas

But if you are warm from being at DAK all day then a leisurely dinner in the aircon at Tiffins could be very nice before going for a night safari and then Rivers of Light. Would be nicer than heading to a resort signature then back to the park...

It might be. I'd definitely like to try it some day.

EPCOTCenterLover

Not enough options. hmmm maybe not enough European inspired ones maybe as outside of Restaurantosaurus you'll be hard pressed to find familar foodstuffs inspired by whats normally on your plate. I travel the globe as well and also outside of typical European environs so as long as its not insects or fermented I'll eat it (exception for Kimchee, I'll eat that without hesitation).

Theres a big difference between "inspired by" and "authentic", Disney tries to reach a happy medium based on availability and local sensibilities... You're not going to find rodents, goat, bats, or bushmeat on any of the menus. They also have to keep in mind dietary restrictions so not everything can be rolled in nuts, drowned in dairy, or stuffed in a wheat bun.
Lets try to put this one to rest. I like the food at DAK a lot. It just seems not to have many places to eat compared to other parks. Period. That's all I was saying. It's not the food. It's not "Not enough European inspired ones". (I bet we'd have fun comparing what we eat on our travels!) It's strange to me to have an expense restaurant available when there's not much else.

disneyflush

You made your assumption an hour before this person presented this X and Y relationship you said your assumption was based upon. Just own the comment for what it was.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Lets try to put this one to rest. I like the food at DAK a lot. It just seems not to have many places to eat compared to other parks. Period. That's all I was saying. It's not the food. It's not "Not enough European inspired ones". (I bet we'd have fun comparing what we eat on our travels!) It's strange to me to have an expense restaurant available when there's not much else.

Only 26 locations that serve food of some sort , 90% are quick service, one is buffet. Tiffins and Nomad Lounge double the amount of table service locations (use to be only Yak and Rain Forest, Tusker really doesn't count as its a buffet).

A dollar can get you a bottle of San Miguel and some monkey meat on a stick in the Philippines.

Next Big Thing

Only 26 locations that serve food of some sort , 90% are quick service, one is buffet. Tiffins and Nomad Lounge double the amount of table service locations (use to be only Yak and Rain Forest, Tusker really doesn't count as its a buffet).

A dollar can get you a bottle of San Miguel and some monkey meat on a stick in the Philippines.
Tusker most definitely counts when you get that bill...

gmajew

My family and I eat at signature atlas 5 out of 8 days we are in the parks or on property... The reason is simple I don't want to eat bad food every meal when I am vacation. So I go out of my way to find and schedule dinning every trip. Then based on that I then book my parks etc.... I know silly but it is important to me to eat good and enjoy what I am eating to enjoy my trip...

COProgressFan

My question is if it will be an actual fine dining experience, food, atmosphere, service and patrons, the entire package makes for a fine dining experience. V&A is IMO a fine dining experience.

I wonder if this will play out over the months as fine dining worthy of the status and price. You can for example have the best meats available but you must have the best kitchen staff to pull the prep off every single time. I've found the late to the party signature restaurant in Epcot Canada to fall short in the prep department several times, along with service. A fine dining establishment will keep to their reservation times, know how to pace a meal at proper intervals, not how quickly they can turn a table.

Cali while beautiful, is now tight and squishy, loud at times since it is now more an upscale family venue bringing with it a different atmosphere than other Disney Fine Dining choices. With so many upscale restaurants launching at the same time they are all going to have to ferret through the available, experienced staff to hunt down talented staffing in order to pull off the price point they have set. Me, I don't know if there are indeed that many talented individuals to fill all the slots of these new establishments launching and enough patrons to actually make them all viable. Time will tell.

Completely agree with you here. You identify the two main issues - will they continue to find appropriate staff and operate all these places to match the price points and will there be enough people willing to pay? If you're going to have lots of more high end dining (whether Disney, or the new third party locations at Disney Springs) you had better provide high end food and service. It takes work, and individual restaurant management having some leeway to do their jobs to make it happen. It's great that they serve Wagyu beef, but how long will it last? And wait till the corporate sharp-pencil boys come through and realize that they have cloth napkins (the horror! think of the laundering costs!) and give you a basket of bread when seated (think of the $$ lost on appetizer sales!).

I also wonder if there is enough demand for all these pricier places. I suppose Disney and their operating participants think so. As you mention, time will tell. But I do wonder, since costs of tickets, rooms, and all other food establishments have gone up quite significantly the past few years, I wonder how much is left in vacation budgets for places like this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom