Ticketing/Entry System Crash

HoldenC

The only critical comment I have is the way Disney handled this. However we need to start holding Guests accountable. How dumb do you have to be to stand in the heat and wait around. Take a walk to one of the nearby hotels and cool off. Crap happens, learn to be flexible or just don't bother going out anywhere.

eliza61nyc

No, I'm not talking about computers. I'm talking about a system where rides are reserved in advance so switching last minute to another park puts you at a disadvantage in terms of what you can get done if you have a last minute change in plans.
Totally agree with you on that one. What was the resolution??

eliza61nyc

The only critical comment I have is the way Disney handled this. However we need to start holding Guests accountable. How dumb do you have to be to stand in the heat and wait around. Take a walk to one of the nearby hotels and cool off. Crap happens, learn to be flexible or just don't bother going out anywhere.

Lol try getting stuck in an airport in London because a volcano in Iceland who's name you still can't pronounce decides to errupt.

ImperfectPixie

Are we 100% sure these guests were penalized for this fiasco?
I'm sure not all of them were, but just based on how events like this tend to unfold, I would guess a size-able number of cards were charged...most likely for the earliest reservation times EDIT: the earliest times that coincided with the start of the admittance problem, of course.

HoldenC

I'm sure not all of them were, but just based on how events like this tend to unfold, I would guess a size-able number of cards were charged...most likely for the earliest reservation times EDIT: the earliest times that coincided with the start of the admittance problem, of course.
Makes sense. I would have assumed there are procedures in place to prevent the charge in the event of this type of event 🤔

ImperfectPixie

Makes sense. I would have assumed there are procedures in place to prevent the charge in the event of this type of event 🤔
You would think...but then again we seem to say that about a lot of things related to Disney lately. Simplest solution is for them to have a way to just disable that charge across the board, but who knows if that actually exists.

aaronml

At DLR, guests with paper print-at-home tickets can go straight to the entry turnstiles. I'd like to think the same is possible (normally) at WDW.
DLR uses paper tickets with barcodes on them. Every turnstile has a ticket printer and can print out an official ticket card when a barcode is scanned. Unfortunately WDW does not have this.... they use a completely different system.

bUU

I can't really argue with that. I'm curious to know what their BC plans are around this, seeing as how this is kind of a critical system (Maybe I'm wrong, but...).
If they shared that information they'd be idiots since it would help hackers develop exploits. Did you read the news this week regarding the breach of one of Capital One's S3 buckets? How did the attackers even know that data was there, much less in a misconfigured bucket?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I'm going to make an assumption here. My only pass experience is with Disneyland that does not do MB. When you go to DL or DCA and use your pass for the first time they scan it and then take a picture of you. When you park hop or use the pass again they can verify it is you. I am going to assume it was not just scanning, but no photo was popping up to make sure the person and the pass matched.
As one of the other posters had commented, about social media spreading like wild fire. I am willing to bet with social media posting the issue, there would be some less than scruples people trying to enter on a bogus ticket.
It is interesting that MB worked, so it was just the ticket system glitch. So, who uses Tickets at WDW? I did my trip, we got MB sent in the mail. So. Huh.
Disneyland and WDW work tickets entirely differently. At WDW, there are touch-points and finger scans. The only time they'll take a photo of a guest is if they can't or refuse to use the finger scan. Then a CM with an iPad comes over, scans your admission media and takes a photo. After that, the guest has to request a CM with an iPad to enter every time they want to go to a park. DL uses barcode and photo, no finger scan.

Premiere Passes have both RFID and barcode because they have to be compatible with both systems. A photo taken for entry at DL won't work for no-finger entry at WDW, WDW will take their own.

bUU

You are making a false assumption that I learned the business through formal schooling
No I'm not. The parameters of risk management were codified long after I graduated, so I didn't learn it through formal schooling either but rather on-the-job as the discipline evolved. Regardless, that's irrelevant. It is what it is, and if you are are making comments about it you should know it.

Not being able to take tickets at the front gate of the most popular tourist spot in the world is something that there should be a contingency for.
Again: Controls and contingencies need to be in place in proportion to the incidence and severity of the risk.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that the world should array itself the way you want.

I am fully aware that a lot of companies are not fully prepared for this, but it doesn't excuse them for not being prepared.
Do you have any stocks? Do you own any funds? Do the schools your children go to get any grants or partnership from any corporations? Do you work for a publicly owned company?

And even if you can honestly say 'no' to all of those: Do you really think that your personal preference should override what the whole rest of society has decided should be with regard to our commercial/economic system?

Incredible.

bUU

You see “indefensible”. I see “unfortunate”.

If I were in that mess, yes I would be irked. And then, I would cut my losses and get on a monorail and head to the Tambu Lounge, or walk over to the Contempo Cafe ... or go to another park altogether.

When crap happens, one still has options.
But again, you've got a mature perspective. Evidently, not everyone feels that that is necessary.

Wendy Pleakley

There's a certain irony in expecting WDW guests to be flexible, when WDW vacations are so scheduled now that they tend to be just the opposite.

I'm curious what, if any, messaging was provided? Most guests probably assumed this was a temporary issue that would be fixed quickly. At WDW, time is money, so I'm not shocked people would be resistant to leaving for a few hours.

Unless they gave specific information, most people would choose to wait, to make the most of an expensive day they've paid for.

ImperfectPixie

Further, this sort of ties in to what my some of biggest complaints are in regards to the IT department...things that should be common sense are made way more complex than they need to be. As a simple (unrelated) example, many people who visit WDW need to look at dining menus prior to choosing a restaurant. Why are the menus separated into different pages for each meal when it would make the guest experience better to have them on the same page with visual dividers? Why do we have to go back to the restaurant's main page to make a reservation when it would be a better guest experience to be able to do so from the menu page as well? The Disney website loads really slowly, and the "Stitch Ate the Page" error is ridiculously common, so why force guests to change pages more often than necessary?

The same could be said for making/editing FastPasses - it's a way more complicated procedure than it needs to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom