Ticket Question

GoofyMom2

Original Poster
Wow! We are leaving for our first DL trip in 1 week....I am starting to freak out a little.... :ROFLOL:

It will be just me and my 2 DS ages 8 and 11....crazy, aren't I?

Anyway, I purchased mt DL tickets through Maple Leaf, 3 day Park Hoppers. My question is:

Do I still get a morning of early entry w/ these tickets? Or is the EE priveledge only for guests who booked the package through Disney?

I thought I read that all 3-day passes have the EE, but I wanted to double check before we head over an hour early. :wave:

We are all so excited about this trip, have been planning for a long time. We are also going to the Halloween party on a separate day.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

PS Anyone know how the lines are now for the new Nemo ride? My kids really want to go on. (weekday)

Nicole220

Yay for your trip!!

I can't help you with your tickets because I have no experience with them, but I can help with Nemo. Nemo has been around a 30-45 minute wait during the week. Can't tell you about the weekends because I won't touch the place then. :lol:

Have a great trip!! If you have any other last minute questions, feel free to ask!

GoofyMom2

Original Poster
Thanks Nicole! :wave:

We will only be at DL for weekdays.....we are spending the first few days of our trip in San Diego.

Any good suggestions for places to eat in Anaheim? Family places, not fancy. (and not too expensive) We are staying at Howard Johnson and I know they have a place next door to eat at, but I don't think I want all of our meals to be there.

We will need a place for dinner probably 2 different nights.

Thanks again!

PS How is your weather right now? Long pants and then jacket in PM?

Nicole220

Thanks Nicole! :wave:

We will only be at DL for weekdays.....we are spending the first few days of our trip in San Diego.

Any good suggestions for places to eat in Anaheim? Family places, not fancy. (and not too expensive) We are staying at Howard Johnson and I know they have a place next door to eat at, but I don't think I want all of our meals to be there.

We will need a place for dinner probably 2 different nights.

Thanks again!

PS How is your weather right now? Long pants and then jacket in PM?
Look for some Red Robin's, CPK (California Pizza Kitchen), BJ's. Those aren't fancy or expensive and have great food! Those aren't located in the Resort area, but can easily be found in 10-15 minutes. If you take a quick drive down the 5 south, you'll hit the Market Place and Irvine Spectrum which have many different food places.

The weather is cool right now, however that can change in the blink of an eye. Right now, it's long pants and jacket weather. You'll definitely want to wear that for the mornings and evenings. The afternoons can sometimes warm up.

Donald25

Tustin Market Place and Irvine Spectrum are a good 20-30 min drive...just something to think about.

I personally enjoy eating at ESPN zone, the BBQ chipotle sandwhich is awesome, and the COOKIE SUNDAY is TO DIE FOR!!! There are many restaurants in DD that are not to expensive...

I would recomment hitting the Nemo ride first, and while in line possibly getting a fast pass for another ride...

anything else just reply! hope this helps.

Nicole220

Tustin Market Place and Irvine Spectrum are a good 20-30 min drive...just something to think about.

I personally enjoy eating at ESPN zone, the BBQ chipotle sandwhich is awesome, and the COOKIE SUNDAY is TO DIE FOR!!! There are many restaurants in DD that are not to expensive...

I would recomment hitting the Nemo ride first, and while in line possibly getting a fast pass for another ride...

anything else just reply! hope this helps.
True. But, imho, I think it's worth the drive because I like the choices they have better than what the surrounding Resort area has.

And I agree with ESPN Zone! Love that place!!

GoofyMom2

Original Poster
DisneyLAND tickets from MapleLeafTickets.com ? I thought that they only sold DisneyWORLD tickets - I checked their site, and can't find tickets for Disneyland anywhere??

Whoops! I bought them from ARES Travel (on Mousesavers) I'm so used to getting my WDW tickets from MapleLeaf.

Same question applies :eek:

Thanks for the great suggestions so far!

Since we are staying at HoJo, they say we can walk to DL entrance from there. Do we cross the street and then take a Disney Tram? Or can we walk right to the entrance? About how long you think? 10 Min?

We will be eating at Disney quite a bit, but thought we might need a place to eat at before the Halloween party. Don't want to waste party time eating!

I bet the kids would love the Pizza place :slurp:

Nicole220

Since we are staying at HoJo, they say we can walk to DL entrance from there. Do we cross the street and then take a Disney Tram? Or can we walk right to the entrance? About how long you think? 10 Min?
Can't help you with the time because again, I've never done it.
But you do walk right up to the entrance, no tram.

mouselvrmom

I have a ticket question and didn't want to start a new thread for it. I'm sure someone on here will know.

We are getting annual passes in December and have to buy them there because we are dvc members and get a small discount on them. Do we have to buy them at one of the ticket windows at one of the parks, or can we buy them somewhere in downtown disney? And if we can where would that be?

Disneyfalcon

Jenn, I think you will have to buy them at the entrances to the parks. Keep in mind that they are RIGHT next to Downtown Disney, so it's no big deal to get them there.

I'd suggest going to get them the night you arrive, rather then waiting until the first morning of touring, to avoid lines. :)

mouselvrmom

Jenn, I think you will have to buy them at the entrances to the parks. Keep in mind that they are RIGHT next to Downtown Disney, so it's no big deal to get them there.

I'd suggest going to get them the night you arrive, rather then waiting until the first morning of touring, to avoid lines. :)

Thanks, I will do that!

TP2000

From HoJo's to the Disneyland main entrance is a 10 minute stroll. But it might take a few minutes longer if the lines at the bag check tent are backed up.

On your Halloween party night, I think you should eat at the Mimi's Cafe right across the street. It's great family fare, but in a French country bistro kind of style. Very good food though, and a long menu with something for everyone. But be careful, another half block down is a Millie's, which is nothing more than a Denny's knockoff. Avoid Millie's, and head for Mimi's Cafe. You can't miss Mimi's Cafe, it's right on the corner. http://www.mimiscafe.com

Another good family place for dinner is Storytellers Cafe in the Grand Californian. It is basically their coffee shop, but it's very hip and fun. Prices are in the Mimi's Cafe range, the food is California regional favorites, and the service is Disneyfied. It's outside of the lobby area, right across from the main entrance to the pool. Storytellers is nice in that it is usually a bit less crowded than Downtown Disney, plus it's more family friendly than some of the trendy Downtown Disney date nite places or bars. http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dis...dining/detail?name=StorytellersCafeDiningPage

There is also Goofy's Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel. This is an all-you-can-eat buffet type place with the Characters. The Characters roam the restaurant, they do a little song and dance routine that includes the kids, and the food is your basic buffet type fare. It can be fun if your kids are in to that sort of thing. But beware, the atmosphere at Goofy's Kitchen is rather frenzied and loud, so avoid it if you want to decompress from the parks at mealtimes. http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dis...ng/detail?name=GoofysKitchenDiningPage&bhcp=1

Just be prepared for a bump in prices at any restaurant, Disney or non-Disney. Orange County has a higher cost of living than most places, especially the Midwest. Prices here are almost always 10% to 15% higher than what you would find in the comparable place back home.

On your drive up from San Diego, you might want to take the scenic route along Pacific Coast Highway Route 1 for the last stretch instead of the inland I-5 Freeway through Orange County. At San Juan Capistrano leave I-5 and head onto the Coast Highway and drive up through Dana Point, Laguna Beach and Newport Beach. At Newport you can rejoin the Great SoCal Freeway System and head to Disneyland. Just north of Laguna Beach the kids might enjoy stopping at Crystal Cove State Park for tide pool exploring and beachcombing, and the scenery along that highway is stunning. http://www.crystalcovestatepark.com/

GoofyMom2

Original Poster
From HoJo's to the Disneyland main entrance is a 10 minute stroll. But it might take a few minutes longer if the lines at the bag check tent are backed up.

On your Halloween party night, I think you should eat at the Mimi's Cafe right across the street. It's great family fare, but in a French country bistro kind of style. Very good food though, and a long menu with something for everyone. But be careful, another half block down is a Millie's, which is nothing more than a Denny's knockoff. Avoid Millie's, and head for Mimi's Cafe. You can't miss Mimi's Cafe, it's right on the corner. http://www.mimiscafe.com

Another good family place for dinner is Storytellers Cafe in the Grand Californian. It is basically their coffee shop, but it's very hip and fun. Prices are in the Mimi's Cafe range, the food is California regional favorites, and the service is Disneyfied. It's outside of the lobby area, right across from the main entrance to the pool. Storytellers is nice in that it is usually a bit less crowded than Downtown Disney, plus it's more family friendly than some of the trendy Downtown Disney date nite places or bars. http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dis...dining/detail?name=StorytellersCafeDiningPage

There is also Goofy's Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel. This is an all-you-can-eat buffet type place with the Characters. The Characters roam the restaurant, they do a little song and dance routine that includes the kids, and the food is your basic buffet type fare. It can be fun if your kids are in to that sort of thing. But beware, the atmosphere at Goofy's Kitchen is rather frenzied and loud, so avoid it if you want to decompress from the parks at mealtimes. http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dis...ng/detail?name=GoofysKitchenDiningPage&bhcp=1

Just be prepared for a bump in prices at any restaurant, Disney or non-Disney. Orange County has a higher cost of living than most places, especially the Midwest. Prices here are almost always 10% to 15% higher than what you would find in the comparable place back home.

On your drive up from San Diego, you might want to take the scenic route along Pacific Coast Highway Route 1 for the last stretch instead of the inland I-5 Freeway through Orange County. At San Juan Capistrano leave I-5 and head onto the Coast Highway and drive up through Dana Point, Laguna Beach and Newport Beach. At Newport you can rejoin the Great SoCal Freeway System and head to Disneyland. Just north of Laguna Beach the kids might enjoy stopping at Crystal Cove State Park for tide pool exploring and beachcombing, and the scenery along that highway is stunning. http://www.crystalcovestatepark.com/

Wow! Thanks for all of that great info!

I especially like the driving trip.....what a way to enjoy more of California! I never would have thought of that on my own. I know my boys would love to stop and do some exploring, that is right up their (and mine!) alley.

We made ressies at Goofy's kitchen......we have eaten at Chef Mickey's so I think I know what to expect! :lol: Craziness!

If you can think of any more great tips, please pass them along. I am flying blind here!

Also, if anyone has ideas for San Diego for a "off day" (no parks etc), please let me know.

Thanks!

TP2000

Wow! Thanks for all of that great info!

If you can think of any more great tips, please pass them along. I am flying blind here!

Also, if anyone has ideas for San Diego for a "off day" (no parks etc), please let me know.

Thanks!

You are very welcome.

There's a link on the Crystal Cove website that has a map and such of the South OC area. You'll probably want to do the Mapquest thing and such before you leave, but the part about getting off I-5 in Capistrano Beach and heading up the coast on Route 1 is really very easy.

As you are driving north on I-5 and you leave Camp Pendleton and pass over the Orange County line you will hit a town called San Clemente (Where Richard Nixon had his "Western White House" during his terms in office). About five miles after entering San Clemente there is a huge freeway sign directing you to Route 1 that is labeled "BEACH CITIES", which is a two lane offramp that merges you right on to Route 1, the Pacific Coast Highway. You head north past a beach town called Capistrano Beach, up the bluff to Dana Point, and then some truly lovely scenery just naturally unfolds. Canyons and tall hills to your right, and cliffs and the ocean to your left. This all starts about one hour driving time north from San Diego, so it's a nice break after the freeway.

Crystal Cove is located just north of Laguna Beach, and the parking lot and park entrance is actually located on the right side of the highway as you are driving north, away from the ocean. You park your car and walk down a trail that leads through a tunnel that passes under the highway and travels down a ravine to the beach. It's about a ten minute walk, and you can usually spot little lizards sunning and scampering along the trail which usually equates to high drama for boys under age 12. Once you get near the beach you walk through a community of bungalows built in the 1930's. They've mostly been renovated and are rented by the park service. It's a very quaint and old-fashioned look at Orange County beach culture before the theme parks and freeways took over. The beach is wide and long, and the best tide pools are located south of the bungalows. Watch the boys to make sure they don't venture too far out onto the rocks however, as the tide can creep up on you quickly.

Approaching the state park on Coast Highway, you first pass a trailer park attached to the state park, but you'll keep driving north up to the top of the bluff where you will see the main sign and parking lot on your right. I think they still charge for parking in October, and there will be a ranger station at the parking lot entrance.

Just south of Laguna Beach on Coast Highway is a Johnny Rockets. If you are near a mealtime, this is a great spot for a quick family meal. It's at 188 South Coast Highway, and they have some 1950's cars parked out front. You can't miss it. http://www.johnnyrockets.com/index2.php

As for San Diego.... a nice non-theme park day can be had at another type of park, San Diego's wonderful and sprawling Balboa Park.

Balboa Park was the sight of the 1915 Panama-Pacific World's Fair, and another World's Fair in 1935. Some of the original fair buildings are still there, and the ones from 1915 in particular are gorgeous. The buildings now house a range of over a dozen museums, some of which the boys might enjoy as well. There is a fun Model Railroad Museum there amongst the museums, and the San Diego Air & Space Museum is also fun with lots of planes and rockets on display.

Balboa Park is also home to the world famous San Diego Zoo, which easily takes at least six hours just to see the highlights there. http://www.sandiegozoo.org/

Balboa Park also has traditional art museums, history museums, a great Science Museum with an IMAX theater, a Japanese Garden, botanic gardens, and a large outdoor organ amphitheater where they hold organ concerts on weekends. It's fun just to stroll around the grounds of the central museum area, and the central tower has a carillon that performs hourly. The museums are all independently operated non-profit organizations, so their admission prices vary by venue. None of them are more than 10 dollars per person however, and a full afternoon at Balboa Park can be done for a bargain compared to theme parks or other entertainment. http://www.balboapark.org/

While the boys might not be chomping at the bit to see it, you would probably enjoy visiting the Hotel Del Coronado. It's across the bay from downtown on charming Coronado Island (which is actually a peninsula). You can just stroll the grounds and take in the sights and realize where the Imagineers got their inspiration for the Grand Floridian Hotel. There is a nifty 1910's cage elevator in the lobby that the boys might find fun however. http://www.hoteldel.com/ You get to Coronado by driving over the mod 1960's Coronado Toll Bridge, which spans the entrance to the San Diego Naval Base. The bridge was specially designed so that if it were ever attacked and it collapsed, the fallen bridge sections would all float and could be pushed out of the way quickly to allow the Navy ships to leave the harbor in defense of the country. A nifty fact to entertain the boys if you do drive over to Coronado.

Another San Diego option might be the SEAL tour bus. It's an open top bus that drives around downtown San Diego and the big Navy base pointing out the sights and the Navy vessels, but then drives onto the beach and crashes into the waves to become a tour boat. I haven't done this tour, but I've seen it driving around and had friends who have taken their kids on it who enjoyed it. It's a pretty unique way to see the sights, and the kids would like it I'm sure. http://www.sealtours.com/

Is that the type of San Diego stuff you had in mind? Were you going to do the San Diego Zoo at all? That's always a favorite, although it might approach a theme park type experience with their bus tours and skyride across the canyons and such.

San Diego is one of America's most pleasant cities, and it really gets ignored too often by tourists heading to Los Angeles, Disneyland and San Francisco on their "California" trip. Good for you for including it in your SoCal itinerary!

GoofyMom2

Original Poster
Wow! Wow! :sohappy:

This is all above the call of duty....many thanks for such great info!

We are planning on going to San Diego Zoo on Sunday, so that is why I asked for "off" day ideas. This all sounds so amazing! That SEAL Bus tour sounds interesting....boys would probably love it!

We have already scoped out the Crystal Cove site and we are all very excited. That is a perfect suggestion for our family....we are all huge nature lovers and the kids really look forward to seeing (and maybe swimming in) the Pacific Ocean.

I can't thank you enough.....you even included all those links. We have so many fun experiences ahead of us.....we can't wait!

Now if I can just get all my packing done..... :lol:

Knowing all that we have to look forward to will make getting up at 4AM for our flight on Friday much easier!

Big Mickey hugs to you!

TP2000

Big Mickey hugs to you!

Thanks! I was just here enjoying a quiet evening at home and ended up typing a novel, and I guess it was meant to be if it was helpful to you.

At Crystal Cove, you'll want to park in the big Los Trancos parking lot on the east side of the highway. Los Trancos is the one with the tunnel under Coast Highway and the most direct route to the best beach and tide pool area.

If your family is into nature, another thought came to me....

La Jolla Cove and the Childrens Beach. It's in the ritzy La Jolla neighborhood of San Diego, just north of Mission Bay and Sea World. There is a beach there that was created as a sandy, protected area in the 1930's for children. Except the sea lions and seals soon discovered that it was equally nice for them too. 70 years later humans are discouraged from getting into the water or on the beach as there are usually dozens of sea lions and seals lounging on the sand. You are allowed to observe them at relatively close range from the grassy slope nearby, or the seawall above the beach however. It's a nice way to see these wild creatures in their natural habitat instead of the choreographed shows put on at Sea World. They are often rather noisy and playful with each other while ignoring the crowds of humans watching them, and this natural show often rivals the slick production numbers at Sea World. http://www.sandiego.gov/lifeguards/beaches/pool.shtml and http://www.sandiego.gov/lifeguards/beaches/cove.shtml

La Jolla doesn't offer much else for kids though, as it is a beach town filled with expensive boutiques, fancy hotels, and trendy restaurants.

But, one other fun thing offered in La Jolla (pronounced La Hoy-ya) is kayak tours of the nearby sea caves. Not sure how comfortable the boys are around the ocean and/if you would be up for it, but it's a rather adventuresome way to see the coastline. They have guided tours with a trained guide and the proper equipment, but it is recommended that you be able to swim and are comfortable around the water. The temps in October should still be doable, although don't expect water like the Caribbean or Florida. California ocean water at any time of the year is chilly! I've done the snorkel tour with this company and they were very good. http://www.lajollakayak.com

When you get back home and have had time to catch up, I hope you'll give us a trip report!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom