Ticket prices going up?

sbkline

That is too simplistic. Many industries and companies see less demand (like the airlines and oil companies today) yet raise prices. It is much more complicated than you make it out ot be.

Nonsense. WDW even raised ticket prices during the hard times after 9-11. Lower prices will come through packages/deals to folks in Florida or where people are not effected by the weak dollar.

Perhaps it is more complicated; I'm not an economist by any means. And I guess I'm also not taking into account the fact that even if I'm right on, perhaps the Disney execs are using poor business tactics. Regardless of whether I'm right or wrong, or whether I'm being too simplistic, the fact of the matter is that it's that time of year again. That time of year when we get to hear all the "whoa is me" talk...all the whiney boohooing from everyone about how they're not gonna be able to go to WDW anymore because they can't afford a few extra bucks for tickets on top of the hundreds or thousands of dollars that they have to burn to go to WDW in the first place. Seems like every August when the ticket prices go up a little (ya, a LITTLE in the grand scheme of things), we get to read all the drama stories about how people won't be able to afford to go anymore because of these astronomical ticket prices. :lol:

So I'll be eagerly waiting for such posts. :D

WDW 3

Kinda surprised this is generating any comments. Price increases are nothing new.:shrug: Will the increase really change the plans of any one of us? Not me.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Kinda surprised this is generating any comments. Price increases are nothing new.:shrug: Will the increase really change the plans of any one of us? Not me.
I would agree but it will not stop the masses from going all Chicken Little when the ticket price increases are made public. It is one of those Disney forum inevitabilities not unlike Brazilian tour group, monorail expansion, guests with disabilities, should deluxe resort guests get more perks, and overweight guest threads will always degrade into an pointless argument.

WickedQueen22

Silly question I know but.....

Once the 2009 rates are open (hopefully with this price increase) I book my next trip and I am locked in right? No ticket increases or resort increases on a package? Is that with the deposit or once paid in entire?

I am in charge of a bunch of people so I need to know all the little bits.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Silly question I know but.....

Once the 2009 rates are open (hopefully with this price increase) I book my next trip and I am locked in right? No ticket increases or resort increases on a package? Is that with the deposit or once paid in entire?

I am in charge of a bunch of people so I need to know all the little bits.
Once you are booked with a package and have paid a deposit you are locked in regardless if the price goes up or down. If you book room only far enough in advance that rates were not out you will be charged peak rates of the current year and your total will be adjusted, it will typically go down, upon release of the official rates.

PhilharMagician

Nonsense. WDW even raised ticket prices during the hard times after 9-11. Lower prices will come through packages/deals to folks in Florida or where people are not effected by the weak dollar.

The first increase after 911 was Sept 2002 for $2.00

We will renew our Annual Passes THIS WEEK...WDW increases prices EVERY (first-week-0f) August.. move NOT connected to doomsday economy agenda or drop in demand....they WILL increase prices next August also.

In history ticket increase have happened only twice in August.

Interesting ticket history info now available at
http://www.allearsnet.com/tix/tixincrease.htm

ryguy

So between 1990-1999 ticket prices went up $13.00 from 2000-2007 tickets more than doubled that number to $27.00 per ticket. I can see why people would be a little irked at another ticket price. Well there is always one way to combat it, don't go. Easier said than done.:lol: Here's hoping to no price increase, but if we do get one hopefully its only a buck or two.

redsoxnation

Perhaps it is more complicated; I'm not an economist by any means. And I guess I'm also not taking into account the fact that even if I'm right on, perhaps the Disney execs are using poor business tactics. Regardless of whether I'm right or wrong, or whether I'm being too simplistic, the fact of the matter is that it's that time of year again. That time of year when we get to hear all the "whoa is me" talk...all the whiney boohooing from everyone about how they're not gonna be able to go to WDW anymore because they can't afford a few extra bucks for tickets on top of the hundreds or thousands of dollars that they have to burn to go to WDW in the first place. Seems like every August when the ticket prices go up a little (ya, a LITTLE in the grand scheme of things), we get to read all the drama stories about how people won't be able to afford to go anymore because of these astronomical ticket prices. :lol:

So I'll be eagerly waiting for such posts. :D
wow, that was pretty shallow...for most of us, going on a vacation like this is a big deal and expensive. the majority of us dont have the cash reserves to just drop hundreds/thousands of dollars to go on a vacation. "a few extra bucks..." can make a difference. :mad:

bears163

For us it is not really the extra few dollars for a ticket. Its the extra gas money we spend every single week. The extra money we pay for food now. The extra money it cost to have electricity in our house. The extra money it costs to fly. & now the extra cost for tickets. So its not one thing going up a few dollars Its is EVERYTHING going up several dollars that is taking away most of people money.

ypcat

wow, that was pretty shallow...for most of us, going on a vacation like this is a big deal and expensive. the majority of us dont have the cash reserves to just drop hundreds/thousands of dollars to go on a vacation. "a few extra bucks..." can make a difference. :mad:

If a couple extra dollars for a ticket can make or break a vacation, I'd rethink going in the first place. We've never gone and not surpassed our budget for vacation.

JWG

Enter 1980 at $7/ticket, enter 1990 at $29/ticket. a 314% increase over 10 years. I think that beats inflation. And no value of "added gates" since that's a 1-day ticket.

The annual pass has gone up 348% ($100 - $448) in 25 years ('82-'07), but you can argue the value ot going from 2 - 4 gates (annual pass debuted 1 month prior to Epcot).

No matter how you look at it, in Disney's nearly 40 years, the one day ticket has gone up 1,929% and you'd be hard pressed to find anything else that's skyrocketed in cost as much. $3.00 (1971) to $7 to $71 (2007) is significant.

It's interesting that attendance continues to rise year over year because you'd think with such high rate increases over time that more and more people would be excluded from the "elite" Disney vacation club (not the timeshare). Either people are going into debt to finance their vacations (not a great idea in my mind), the mix of US to foreign visitors is changing (with the weakening dollar) or something no economist could explain is going on.

Expo_Seeker40

A few years ago I flew Delta for 256.00 round trip, I think that was 2005 or 2006. Now I will be flying Delta for 259.00 one way to Florida, and I'm still waiting for southwest to release more dates so I can book a one way out of Florida. :eek: (but I wouldn't cry if I couldn't leave Florida :lol:)

This will be my 7th time going to the Vacation Kingdom and what hits me hard is that I can only take advantage of the one day one park feature because WDW is something in addition to the other things I do for my Christmas-New Years Break.

The only time I ever stayed at the Vacation Kingdom was in 1996 for 5 nights 6 days and it was at the newly opened Boardwalk.

Since then I have been staying off property for 2 nights 3 days or with friends and family nearby.

It is enough as it is to pay over 70.00 for one park, and that's not even making it a park hopper.

It really is a risk to use up that 70.00 but luckily I tend to go in January when the weather is good, and the crowds are low.

Then you factor in souveigners, food, beverage, etc

This 7th trip will probably be my last trip for a while due to various factors, and I am working out on trying to stay at the Contemporary, heck I don't care if I have to get a garden room, I know the theme park view is too much for a room I will hardly be in, and the bay lake view might be reasonable for January.

But yes, all little dollar amounts here and there are drastically adding up, because everything is going up and these companies sadly have to raise prices.

yeah and (on a technicality) we're not in a recession :hammer:

bgraham34

If a couple extra dollars for a ticket can make or break a vacation, I'd rethink going in the first place. We've never gone and not surpassed our budget for vacation.

I dont agree with that at all. Some people save for years to take a vacation and they have every penny planned out. And you would be amazed how many peoples lives are like that. So you or I might have extra money to spend but I can;t and will not knock someone who does not have the ability to have a vacation every year.

hokielutz

Enter 1980 at $7/ticket, enter 1990 at $29/ticket. a 314% increase over 10 years. I think that beats inflation. And no value of "added gates" since that's a 1-day ticket.

The annual pass has gone up 348% ($100 - $448) in 25 years ('82-'07), but you can argue the value ot going from 2 - 4 gates (annual pass debuted 1 month prior to Epcot).

No matter how you look at it, in Disney's nearly 40 years, the one day ticket has gone up 1,929% and you'd be hard pressed to find anything else that's skyrocketed in cost as much. $3.00 (1971) to $7 to $71 (2007) is significant.

It's interesting that attendance continues to rise year over year because you'd think with such high rate increases over time that more and more people would be excluded from the "elite" Disney vacation club (not the timeshare). Either people are going into debt to finance their vacations (not a great idea in my mind), the mix of US to foreign visitors is changing (with the weakening dollar) or something no economist could explain is going on.

Fortunately or Unfortunately, depending on how you look at things and your personal situation, Disney has not yet hit the ceiling of diminished returns for their price increases. Park operations have hit their profit #'s year after year. They are still getting the attendance numbers through the end of last year (waiting to see what happens this year) and their operating costs have gone up as well (energy/fuel is a main example) so they are justified to increase prices again.

Disney parks are part of the entertainment industry that has seen similar gains across all businesses for the last 25 years (Movies, Pro & college sports, concerts, etc). You would be hard pressed to find an average ticket in those categories that have not jumped at least 600% in the last quarter-century.

Depending on how this year goes, with the rising cost of fuel and the weaker dollar there may be a change upcoming for prices that hold the line and not increase much.

bobtabin

Your best bet is to call them and find out. I wouldn't think they would object to you purchasing your renewal ahead of schedule.
More cash sooner for them equals a better cash flow on their business statements.

I called just a few minutes ago and the rep on the other end said he has not been informed of any increases, but traditionally (as other stated) prices increase in August. Additionally, he stated that in order to renew your annual pass, you must be 30 days either before or after your annual pass expires. My pass expires in the middle of October, so I would have to renew it at the renewal rate between the middle of September and middle of November.

Oh well, I tried! :)

hokielutz

I called just a few minutes ago and the rep on the other end said he has not been informed of any increases, but traditionally (as other stated) prices increase in August. Additionally, he stated that in order to renew your annual pass, you must be 30 days either before or after your annual pass expires. My pass expires in the middle of October, so I would have to renew it at the renewal rate between the middle of September and middle of November.

Oh well, I tried! :)

Sorry to hear you were unsuccessful at renewing. Here is hoping that the AP rate doesn't change, or the change is minimal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom