Ticket Prices going up on August 5th.

jakeman

The national and world economy is a pretty big difference. It hasn't been this crappy in 39 years. And the fact the middle class is shrinking, Disney's biggest demographic of guests/customers. People are scared for their jobs, unemployment, more people living on fixed budgets, the cost of living steadily rising, while average salaries aren't... And people are choosing less expensive places to vacation, more now than in the last 40 years, or so I've read... All this at the same time as the price hikes.

Yeah... Those facts. And present data.
Oh good lord I can't believe I'm going to get sucked into this.

First, while we are in a pickle right now, there have been a few recessions and whatnot throughout the past 39 years and Disney has seemed to do alright. In fact, I think I recall the last 2-3 years haven't really been a fount of prosperity for most. Disney seem to get along attendance wise then as well.

Second, the amount of people who pay for a one day pass is probably very small. I would be more interested to see what the average price per day is and the fluctuations in that. I think that would be much more representative of increase and decrease in "ticket" price than this annual song and dance.

Third, regardless of discounts, attendance is still rising, so there is a demand for this product. Until the demand flattens, it is just good business to raise prices. Although, I will contend that my second point overrides this because I bet the actual price people pay for a day at Disney is much much lower than anyone thinks.

Fourth, while this is making national news because it is a slow news week, do you think anyone other than the fraction of a fraction of a percent here would notice that Disney didn't raise their prices?

It's the same thread every year. Populist anger against "the man" followed by inaction by 99.9% of the people posting.

They make the announcement. Most everyone furiously types that they shouldn't do it because x, y, and z then three days later go back to planning their next vacation at said place they are supposedly angry at.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The national and world economy is a pretty big difference. It hasn't been this crappy in 39 years. And the fact the middle class is shrinking, Disney's biggest demographic of guests/customers. People are scared for their jobs, unemployment, more people living on fixed budgets, the cost of living steadily rising, while average salaries aren't... And people are choosing less expensive places to vacation, more now than in the last 40 years, or so I've read... All this at the same time as the price hikes.

Yeah... Those facts. And present data.
Disney has continued to raised prices through ever single recession it has weathered and attendance has risen every single year save for the drop after 9/11. Sure this recession is worse than the previous ones but raising ticket prices did not stop attendance gains in 2007, 2008, 2009 nor will it do it in 2010.

When you look past the cost of a one day ticket Disney is still a bargain compared to many other forms of entertainment.

misterID

First, while we are in a pickle right now, there have been a few recessions and whatnot throughout the past 39 years and Disney has seemed to do alright. In fact, I think I recall the last 2-3 years haven't really be a fount of prosperity for most. Disney seem to get along attendance wise then as well.

Second, the amount of people who pay for a one day pass is probably very small. I would be more interested to see what the average price per day is and the fluctuations in that. I think that would be much more representative of increase and decrease in "ticket" price than this annual song and dance.

Third, regardless of discounts, attendance is still rising, so there is a demand for this product. Until the demand flattens, it is just good business to raise prices. Although, I will contend that my second point overrides this because I bet the actual price people pay for a day at Disney is much much lower than anyone thinks.

Fourth, while this is making national news because it is a slow news week, do you think anyone other than the fraction of a fraction of a percent here would notice that Disney didn't raise their prices?

It's the same thread every year. Populist anger against "the man" followed by inaction by 99.9% of the people posting.

They make the announcement. Most everyone furiously types that they shouldn't do it because x, y, and z then three days later go back to planning their next vacation at said place they are supposedly angry at.

Yeah, no need to get defensive, or be the Disney defender, no ones attacking your girlfriend here. I never painted them as a bad guy. That's their business practice. Just saying I didn't understand it.

Populist anger? The man? :lol:

If this didn't affect people, they wouldn't be angry. It has nothing to do with being a populists, or being mad at "the man" :)lol:) And its making news because... Its news. It's kind of shocking they're doing this right now. And obviously there are people who care. And you're ignoring that the tickets are just part of the money people spend when visiting WDW. There are people (the fraction of a fraction, you spoke of) on this site that are saying how this is going to affect them. There's parking and food, all over-priced.

Disney did well because of the discounts... It's the only reason they had the attendance they had. You know, to help battle against the economy that I guess has no effect on them whatsoever... even though this was the first time they've ever been this aggressive with the discounts.... But again, I guess the economy that's hurting every single industry in the country outside the movie industry, doesn't play into anything. I mean the recession has absolutely no impact on Disney at all. Period.

I would say people will purchase the tickets they most likely can afford and people do buy day passes. What the percentage is, I don't know. Acting like this isn't significant... Is kind of strange.

misterID

Disney has continued to raised prices through ever single recession it has weathered and attendance has risen every single year save for the drop after 9/11. Sure this recession is worse than the previous ones but raising ticket prices did not stop attendance gains in 2007, 2008, 2009 nor will it do it in 2010.

When you look past the cost of a one day ticket Disney is still a bargain compared to many other forms of entertainment.

And I've never said Disney wouldn't counter this with more deals. They're very smart. And I've given them a lot of credit of how they've handled this recession thus far. I think they have very, very smart people working for them and they would not deliberately do this to undermine themselves. I'm sure they have a plan.

But as of right now, I don't see that plan, so I don't understand it. And this recession is in no way comparable to any previous recession Disney has weathered, especially considering all the things I mentioned before. Not in the slightest.

And people keep throwing out the argument about other forms of entertainment. Some of those comparisons are ridiculous. Vegas, Myrtle Beach, London, Music festivals... That's not anywhere near comparable to where the majority of "typical" families vacation. It's laughable.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
The Bill of rights was not meant to be all-inclusive, but was meant as a gurantee that certain rights are too important not to codify. Everyone has the right to a day off. There isn't a single jurisdiction in the country where it is legal to require an employee to work 7 days a week.

You cannot be compelled to work 7 days a week, because you always have the right to quite your job, but in most places in the US, you can be fired if you are unwilling to work when your employer wants you to, even if that is 7 days a week. There are federal rules regarding overtime pay, but none limiting hours, except for certain jobs impacting public safety.

Some states or local jurisdictions have stricter laws, but most do not. As a labor lawyer friend of mine put it..."The maximum number of hours an employee can be required to work in a week is 168."

Mr. I. Crane

With everything that goes along with the price of a ticket in the parks, it's still a pretty good deal. If the increases make you that unhappy, don't spend the money.

WDW-Tex

I glossed through and didnt see any other news posts so guessing you meant mine..I wouldn't necessarily say news was slow up here in CT this week...unfortunately.

WDW-Tex

$82 a day is expensive, but there are many other more expensive entertainment options. A few exmaples of some of the mainstream, but expensive entertainment options out there that are nonetheless successful.

Broadway show (or touring version of such a show) -- good tickets will run $100 plus, and that's for only 2-3 hours of entertainment.

Hop on/Hop Off tour Double Deck bus tour of London -- $40 for a 4 hour tour with audio.

Willis(Sears) Tower Skydeck Fastpass Entry -- $30, just to ride to the top and look out over Chicago.

Chicago Bears -- $68-$365 a ticket.

Lollapalooza music festival -- $90 a day

I'd say 14 hours at the Magic Kingdom for $82 is a better value than any of those. Other people would disagree, which is fine. And, of course, Disney knows that. They're setting the prices based on whatever they think will be the most profitable overall. No different from anybody else.

Great perspective!

jakeman

Yeah, no need to get defensive, or be the Disney defender, no ones attacking your girlfriend here. I never painted them as a bad guy. That's their business practice. Just saying I didn't understand it.
No you didn't just say you don't understand it. You declared that it would hurt Disney in the long run.

I'm not defensive. I'm just providing a counter to the annual, "I can't believe Disney is doing this at a time like this."

Populist anger? The man? :lol:
Yep. It's the same thread every year. Here are a few tibits from this thread:
This is pure greed. I love the quote in the Slantinel "Guest surveys say blah, blah, blah" and now there is an increase.
They have overhead, but the profits they make on merch and food alone, just in the MK, is beyond staggering.
Most of Disney is overpriced anyway. If they want more revenue, cut back on management salary and overspending.

If this didn't affect people, they wouldn't be angry. It has nothing to do with being a populists, or being mad at "the man" :)lol:) And its making news because... Its news. It's kind of shocking they're doing this right now. And obviously there are people who care. And you're ignoring that the tickets are just part of the money people spend when visiting WDW. There are people (the fraction of a fraction, you spoke of) on this site that are saying how this is going to affect them. There's parking and food, all over-priced.
All of it has been overpriced comparitively as long as I've been going there. Why is this only news in August?

I'm ignoring the other cost because...well...this is a thread about ticket prices.

Disney did well because of the discounts... It's the only reason they had the attendance they had. You know, to help battle against the economy that I guess has no effect on them whatsoever... even though this was the first time they've ever been this aggressive with the discounts.... But again, I guess the economy that's hurting every single industry in the country outside the movie industry, doesn't play into anything. I mean the recession has absolutely no impact on Disney at all. Period.
I don't even know what you are trying to say here. Of course there have been discounts. There have also been "discounts" on multi-day passes for as long as Magic Your Way has been around.

To say that $83 is just too much isn't taking into account the fact that probably a vast majority don't pay that.

I would say people will purchase the tickets they most likely can afford and people do buy day passes. What the percentage is, I don't know. Acting like this isn't significant... Is kind of strange.
That's because it's not significant. It happens around this time every year. Yet every year people are surprised and act like Disney is stealing your wallet at night.

I glossed through and didnt see any other news posts so guessing you meant mine..I wouldn't necessarily say news was slow up here in CT this week...unfortunately.
I apologize, I was referring to the CNN post.

You are right...it unfortunately hasn't been a slow week for you guys.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
No you didn't just say you don't understand it. You declared that it would hurt Disney in the long run.

I'm not defensive. I'm just providing a counter to the annual, "I can't believe Disney is doing this at a time like this."

Yep. It's the same thread every year. Here are a few tibits from this thread:

All of it has been overpriced comparitively as long as I've been going there. Why is this only news in August?

I'm ignoring the other cost because...well...this is a thread about ticket prices.

I don't even know what you are trying to say here. Of course there have been discounts. There have also been "discounts" on multi-day passes for as long as Magic Your Way has been around.

To say that $83 is just too much isn't taking into account the fact that probably a vast majority don't pay that.

That's because it's not significant. It happens around this time every year. Yet every year people are surprised and act like Disney is stealing your wallet at night.

I apologize, I was referring to the CNN post.

You are right...it unfortunately hasn't been a slow week for you guys.

You need to put down the keyboard and walk away from this thread. We both made oaths.....:)

momof2inmn

Key word here being 2020. With inflation, expenses increase, but so do wages.

Speak for yourself, my husband hasn't gotten a raise in over 10 years because he's maxxed out at his job. There is no further up to go and since he's in construction there's no where ELSE to go either.

misterID

Yes, if Disney doesn't come up with another discount, this will hurt them. That's what I think. And, uh, that's the whole reason why I don't understand the price hike....

Yes, those quotes were in no way similar to what I was saying.

Yes, your countering argument is that its not a big deal, when it is obviously a big deal to some people.

Yes, you can ignore the other costs, even though its directly related to the ticket prices and why people are upset.

Yes, discounts work.

Yes, it is significant. Just because you've ruled in your own head it isn't doesn't make it so for everyone else, dude.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Well as for where I live, vacations are a right. My bad.

Please don't take me as a stupid, I DO know where US is. You don't have to be impolite.

Let it slide. The interwebs are full of miscommunication and misrepresentation.....

Tom

Beta Return
The fact that people keep quoting the $82/day price, and using it to compare Disney to everything else is unfair. It's $82 for a 1-day, 1-park adult ticket. I don't have access to any statistics (Yoda might, he seems to have lots of good info), but I wish I knew how few people buy a 1-day, 1-park ticket compared to all other ticket lengths and types.

Once you hit a 3-Day/1-Park Ticket, you're down to $74.67/day. $58/day for 4-Day, and so on. If you buy a 7-Day/1-Park ticket, it's $35.29 per day!

If you add the park hopper option, the 3-Day PH is $92.67/day and the 7-Day PH is $43/day. A mere $43/day to have access to 4 world class theme parks for an entire day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom