Ticket Prices going up on August 5th.

Tom

Beta Return
That is insane. $82 for a day. It is getting out of control, but as long as people pay.

As costs grow, prices grow. Is $3 for a gallon of milk insane? It would be in 1950, but our incomes have grown such that $3 for a gallon of milk today is "reasonable".

Besides, they don't want you to buy a 1-Day ticket, which is why it will continue to increase faster than 5-Day tickets and beyond. They want you to come for a week. How many people really buy a 1-Day ticket? Very few, comparatively.

You are going to see a lot of price increases everywhere. Taxes are going up. Companies are passing along to the consumer.

Don't forget healthcare :lookaroun I'm sure Disney pays plenty of employee healthcare insurance premiums, and those will be increasing soon.

Maybe its just me but considering this latest hike and the amount of rides/attractions that will be down for construction and reduced capacities, at what point will the guests go and ask for a refund? The price only justifies everything being up, running, and ready to be ridden on.

Add to that the new Table Service restaurants as opposed to less expensive options to the guests with counter service, its going to get extremely pricey. I still don't get why the new pizza place wouldn't be counter service. And turning Tomorrowland Terrace into Table Service? It makes absolutely no sense. The only CS over there is Ray's and that's always mobbed.

So, you think that each day they close a ride for repair or refurbishment, they should hand out rebate checks to everyone coming through the gate? Things close. Rides get refurbs. And they tell you well in advance...often allowing you plenty of time to adjust your plans.

And with the ever-increasing number of guests wanting Table Service Dining Reservations, it's smarter to build more TS locations than QS.

Via Napoli is a TS restaurant, just like Mama Melrose. It's not Pizza Planet's junk pizza - it's authentic flatbread pizza, and other Italian cuisine. I think it's a much needed location in WS.

Key word here being 2020. With inflation, expenses increase, but so do wages.

Wages, benefits, materials, supplies, repairs, construction, maintenance...it all goes up, every year. If the cost of a 1-Day ever hits $100, it will still likely be "in line" with the rest of the economy (assuming we still have one in 2020).

And as much as I love WDW, it is not worth $83 a day.

I could understand a price hike if it were justified by Disney providing new services/improvements; but it seems like all they've done for the past year or so is make cutbacks.

If it's not worth $83 to you, it will be to someone else who would love to go.

I like to look at it like this...WDW offers 47 square miles of "value" for my park admission. The roads and grassy areas on property don't generate their own revenue, but they still have to be maintained (i.e. cost money). So, the hotels and theme parks drop a tithing in the "community bucket" to keep the rest of the property alive.

Of the $83 someone would spend on a 1-Day ticket, I bet only half stays in that park's operating budget. The rest goes to transportation, grounds, sewage treatment, horticulture, holiday services, etc. Just like a share of every hotel room goes to those same things.

At 6 Flags, you're paying to run the amusement park. At WDW, you're paying to run a city.

I know many of us like to think otherwise (with comments about how we may lose our jobs but are still looking toward a Disney trip), but Disney is a luxury and it is priced appropriately. Very few people pay that $82 number and if you compare it to the gate price at your average Six Flags (about $50, a number very few people actually pay as well), it's reasonable. I would argue even with the cutbacks of late, Disney is at least 60% better than a Six Flags (which has also made cutbacks).

Prices will always rise, and if people could afford $79 in 2010, they can afford $82 next year. If your budget was so tight that $3 is the difference between going to Disney or not, you probably shouldn't be planning a Disney vacation anyway.

Agreed. Disney is a privilege, not a right. If $3 breaks your budget, then save for another 2 months and go then.

I know whole families who just cannot afford or justify it, especially when they can get a beach house in Nags Head or spend a week a Myrtle Beach for half the price. They want to take the whole family to Disney, but just can't afford it, and raising prices does not help.

Disney was always a little expensive (especially for the luxury resorts), but was not always this out of sync with everyone else. Go online and price a week in Vegas. Compare Yacht Club or Grand Floridian prices with nice the Ocean Creek resort on the beach at Myrtle Beach. (www.oceancreek.com). Or any other place you want to compare.

Paul

You can't compare Disney to Vegas or a week at the beach. Aside from gambling, Walt Disney World has everything that either of those destinations offer, and more. They have luxury hotels with lavish theming. They have dinner shows and theater shows. They have white sandy beaches. They have surfing.

A week at Myrtle Beach can't possibly be compared, apples to apples, to a week at WDW.

Touche!

Go spend a day a 6 flags. The trash that walks around in that place makes $82 a day worth it.

Amen.

CaptainJackNO

It probably has more to do with people here feel like if they're going to raise the price for tickets, then they should also raise the bar when it comes to upkeep and new rides/shows/attractions.

Exactly!! I have no problem paying for quality entertainment. But, if youre going to keep raising prices, as least provide something in the way of improvements, even if that relates to improved park cleanliness and upkeep. The problem, as I see it, is that so many of us have been visiting WDW for decades, so we see the price increases and the show quality decreasing. Make people feel that there are constant improvements to go along with the price hikes and they will be fine with it. I love WDW and I will continue to visit because of the state of mind and the experience that is WDW. But Management of WDW, don't take me for granted and raise prices because you know people like me (and others here) will keep paying it.
And don't tell me this is to pay for the FLE. Reinvestment in business is a part of the business cycle. :rolleyes:

misterID

As costs grow, prices grow. Is $3 for a gallon of milk insane? It would be in 1950, but our incomes have grown such that $3 for a gallon of milk today is "reasonable".

Besides, they don't want you to buy a 1-Day ticket, which is why it will continue to increase faster than 5-Day tickets and beyond. They want you to come for a week. How many people really buy a 1-Day ticket? Very few, comparatively.

Don't forget healthcare :lookaroun I'm sure Disney pays plenty of employee healthcare insurance premiums, and those will be increasing soon.

So, you think that each day they close a ride for repair or refurbishment, they should hand out rebate checks to everyone coming through the gate? Things close. Rides get refurbs. And they tell you well in advance...often allowing you plenty of time to adjust your plans.

And with the ever-increasing number of guests wanting Table Service Dining Reservations, it's smarter to build more TS locations than QS.

Via Napoli is a TS restaurant, just like Mama Melrose. It's not Pizza Planet's junk pizza - it's authentic flatbread pizza, and other Italian cuisine. I think it's a much needed location in WS.

Wages, benefits, materials, supplies, repairs, construction, maintenance...it all goes up, every year. If the cost of a 1-Day ever hits $100, it will still likely be "in line" with the rest of the economy (assuming we still have one in 2020).

If it's not worth $83 to you, it will be to someone else who would love to go.

I like to look at it like this...WDW offers 47 square miles of "value" for my park admission. The roads and grassy areas on property don't generate their own revenue, but they still have to be maintained (i.e. cost money). So, the hotels and theme parks drop a tithing in the "community bucket" to keep the rest of the property alive.

Of the $83 someone would spend on a 1-Day ticket, I bet only half stays in that park's operating budget. The rest goes to transportation, grounds, sewage treatment, horticulture, holiday services, etc. Just like a share of every hotel room goes to those same things.

At 6 Flags, you're paying to run the amusement park. At WDW, you're paying to run a city.

Agreed. Disney is a privilege, not a right. If $3 breaks your budget, then save for another 2 months and go then.

You can't compare Disney to Vegas or a week at the beach. Aside from gambling, Walt Disney World has everything that either of those destinations offer, and more. They have luxury hotels with lavish theming. They have dinner shows and theater shows. They have white sandy beaches. They have surfing.

A week at Myrtle Beach can't possibly be compared, apples to apples, to a week at WDW.

Touche!

Amen.

None of that has to do with raising their prices. They're cutting corners every way they can, from not building new attractions to laying off employees, and they're still making money. Have been for a while. They have overhead, but the profits they make on merch and food alone, just in the MK, is beyond staggering.

Even though there is a snob mentality, which is actually kind of funny, among some WDW guests, Disney depends on middle class families (like it or not, some of you) and this hike in ticket prices will hurt them most. And its not real smart to try and weed them out, which in reality, is what this is doing. Disney is still centered on charging as much as they can because of foreign tourists and the money they spend in Orlando, which in all honesty, is what every tourist aimed business does in Orlando. But the fact times are changing, not just because of the world economy, but the fact Disney parks are no longer THE reason toutrists come to Orlando anymore, seeing they have Disney parks in their own back yards (and that does effect WDW).

And seeing that the discounts were such a success, and the fact that they needed them, not to mention they're really trying lure back Florida residents, its kind of strange they would want to raise ticket prices now. The more they raise them, the less people will visit and spend.

EaglesfanNJ

According to the Disney Parks Blog ticket prices will be going up on August 5th. A one day ticket is going from $79 to $82. A seven day ticket is going from $234 to $247. The Park Hopper option is going from $52 to $54.

Here is a link to the blog.
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/08/new-information-about-tickets/

Here is the link to the new prices.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/magic-your-way-facts-on-walt-disney-world-prices/

Thanks for the info!

I realize this would be pure speculation and guessing, but i wanted to see if anyone thought the same way or not? Maybe the two are not even related and i'm just a big dummy! :p

But I was wondering... Do you think the price increases would make them more likely to continue offering free dining in Sept (2011 of course)? In other words, do you think Disney would both increase their ticket prices, and, no longer incent guests to come during their slowest season in Sept by doing away with free dining too? Again, if that makes no sense and i'm reaching i completely understand, just throwing it out there.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
None of that has to do with raising their prices. They're cutting corners every way they can, from not building new attractions to laying off employees, and they're still making money. Have been for a while. They have overhead, but the profits they make on merch and food alone, just in the MK, is beyond staggering.

Even though there is a snob mentality, which is actually kind of funny, among some WDW guests, Disney depends on middle class families (like it or not, some of you) and this hike in ticket prices will hurt them most. And its not real smart to try and weed them out, which in reality, is what this is doing. TDO is still centered on charging as much as they can because of foreign tourists and the money they spend in Orlando, which in all honesty, is what every tourist aimed business does in Orlando. But the fact times are changing, not just because of the world economy, but the fact Disney parks are no longer a reason toutrists come to Orlando anymore, seeing they have Disney parks in their own back yards (and that does effect WDW).

And seeing that the discounts were such a success, and the fact that they needed them, not to mention they're really trying lure back Florida residents, its kind of strange they would want to raise ticket prices now. The more they raise them, the less people will visit and spend.
Why it is so strange? Since 1971 the ticket prices have not gone up for a grand total of 3 years. Being surprised by an annual Disney ticket price increase is like being surprised by getting burned if you were to stick your hand inside an active volcano.:shrug:

Tomi-Rocket

Sorry, but Six Flags (at least in GA) is nasty. It's dirty, the prices are high for crappy food and the employees were disinterested and/or rude. Compare that to Disney and this example - on our last trip I noticed even the TRASH CAN was spotless. No gross bathrooms either. I'd rather save, save, save and then spend the money on a nice, comfortable, clean vacation than spend even one penny at Six Flags. :cool:

misterID

Why it is so strange? Since 1971 the ticket prices have not gone up for a grand total of 3 years. Being surprised by an annual Disney ticket price increase is like being surprised by getting burned if you were to stick your hand inside an active volcano.

They've always raised their prices, that's not surprising. It's surprising when they're not taking the climate into account, especially when they're wanting to keep the attendance up and this kind of goes against the whole reason they came up with all the discounts in the first place.... I don't think its very smart.

Not unless they have some huge discount packages in the works. Which is a possibility.

fosse76

Sorry, but Six Flags (at least in GA) is nasty. It's dirty, the prices are high for crappy food and the employees were disinterested and/or rude. Compare that to Disney and this example - on our last trip I noticed even the TRASH CAN was spotless. No gross bathrooms either. I'd rather save, save, save and then spend the money on a nice, comfortable, clean vacation than spend even one penny at Six Flags. :cool:

Oh give me a break. People see what they want to see. I go to Six Flags all the time, and while I would prefer an attempt at themeing (the New Jersey park has absolutely none), I have never encountered a gross bathroom. And guess what? I've seen trash on the ground at Disney, too. So spare us.

nibblesandbits

I found a very interesting article today online. It goes through and sees if Disney's tickets are overpriced...and while of course, the answer is yes, most would agree with that in a way...you'll see that it's surprising how much and why it shouldn't be that drastic. The article really made me think...

Javier Boughton

have you notice what the competition did?

couple of year or so ago at universal you could buy a 2 day ticket online for $99 and you could stretch it for 7 days..for both adults and kids

now, that same ticket is $134.99 for 2 days for adults and $124.99 for kids ..that's a 25%-35% increase from what i last payed..multiply that by 2 adults and 2 children and it adds ups to $120 dollars more

i have a trip next september..will that stop me and my family to go? absolutely not, the same for disney.

like i discussed with a neighbor the other day. he is going to Disneyland and purchase a 3 day ticket for each of his family for around $180.

i told him its very simple. just divide the cost of the ticket by the number of attractions you can get in.

the $82 a day, for example in magic kingdom and some 20-25 attractions, would translate to around 3 dollars each...

this september ill be purchasing 7 day tickets at $247 calculating a very low 20 or so things you could do at a park... (247/4)=61.75/20=$3

so i think is a great price of $3 dollars to get into multi million attractions..

stop complaining...as we all know that you will keep going.

Tom

Beta Return
have you notice what the competition did?

couple of year or so ago at universal you could buy a 2 day ticket online for $99 and you could stretch it for 7 days..for both adults and kids

now, that same ticket is $134.99 for 2 days for adults and $124.99 for kids ..that's a 25%-35% increase from what i last payed..multiply that by 2 adults and 2 children and it adds ups to $120 dollars more

i have a trip next september..will that stop me and my family to go? absolutely not, the same for disney.

like i discussed with a neighbor the other day. he is going to Disneyland and purchase a 3 day ticket for each of his family for around $180.

i told him its very simple. just divide the cost of the ticket by the number of attractions you can get in.

the $82 a day, for example in magic kingdom and some 20-25 attractions, would translate to around 3 dollars each...

this september ill be purchasing 7 day tickets at $247 calculating a very low 20 or so things you could do at a park... (247/4)=61.75/20=$3

so i think is a great price of $3 dollars to get into multi million attractions..

stop complaining...as we all know that you will keep going.

I like your thinking. It's a fresh take, and makes sense.

JPWDW2

This price ticketing is insane! Most people from the US can afford this price, but they are not taking in mind the lots of international guests the parks receive daily... That plus hotel reservations + food + car rental + air travel! And what are we getting for this excessive price?!?! Oh yes, construction walls and big piles of dirt! Great deal! What a shame Disney. EDIT: My bad... Though the price rise was from $73 to $82 as that is how appears on Disneyworld.com for the Magic Your Way. If the price rise is the one from CNN.com $79 to $82 its not that much. Its nothing, in fact.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
This price ticketing is insane! Most people from the US can afford this price, but they are not taking in mind the lots of international guests the parks receive daily... That plus hotel reservations + food + car rental + air travel! And what are we getting for this excessive price?!?! Oh yes, construction walls and big piles of dirt! Great deal! What a shame Disney.

It's pretty simple. Don't come until the value for the price becomes acceptable to you. Vacation is not a right or entitlement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom