Ticket Prices going up on August 5th.

misterID

Wouldn't the converse of this be true and apply to you as well?

Gah! I responded...

/chucks keyboard out window

It could, yes... but it doesn't... because the difference is, there are people saying this does effect them and is significant... when your argument is saying that it doesn't effect people... :D

WDW-Tex

The fact that people keep quoting the $82/day price, and using it to compare Disney to everything else is unfair. It's $82 for a 1-day, 1-park adult ticket. I don't have access to any statistics (Yoda might, he seems to have lots of good info), but I wish I knew how few people buy a 1-day, 1-park ticket compared to all other ticket lengths and types.

Once you hit a 3-Day/1-Park Ticket, you're down to $74.67/day. $58/day for 4-Day, and so on. If you buy a 7-Day/1-Park ticket, it's $35.29 per day!

If you add the park hopper option, the 3-Day PH is $92.67/day and the 7-Day PH is $43/day. A mere $43/day to have access to 4 world class theme parks for an entire day.

This past vac for my family we had one day and only about 5 hrs of that day that was "free" and I checked out UNI prices because the kids would have probably enjoyed WWoHP...for three of us to go some where in the realm of $220-$240... I didnt even give it a second look. So cant there be at least some people out there that might do the same at WDW. ....IDK just thinking outloud really :shrug:

cheezbat

The fact that people keep quoting the $82/day price, and using it to compare Disney to everything else is unfair. It's $82 for a 1-day, 1-park adult ticket. I don't have access to any statistics (Yoda might, he seems to have lots of good info), but I wish I knew how few people buy a 1-day, 1-park ticket compared to all other ticket lengths and types.

Once you hit a 3-Day/1-Park Ticket, you're down to $74.67/day. $58/day for 4-Day, and so on. If you buy a 7-Day/1-Park ticket, it's $35.29 per day!

If you add the park hopper option, the 3-Day PH is $92.67/day and the 7-Day PH is $43/day. A mere $43/day to have access to 4 world class theme parks for an entire day.

I'll tell you who still buys one day one park tickets. I do. My family does. My friends do. My friends from out of state who visit do. My co-workers do. People at my church do. People i went to college with do.
Thats ALOT of people...most that i know still pay for one day tickets. I do have a few friends who can afford full annual passes, and some that will buy multi-day multi-park tickets, but the vast majority of people i know only buy like or or two days of tickets a year.

Tom

Beta Return
I'll tell you who still buys one day one park tickets. I do. My family does. My friends do. My friends from out of state who visit do. My co-workers do. People at my church do. People i went to college with do.
Thats ALOT of people...most that i know still pay for one day tickets. I do have a few friends who can afford full annual passes, and some that will buy multi-day multi-park tickets, but the vast majority of people i know only buy like or or two days of tickets a year.

Okay, okay! Maybe I should have exempted Florida residents from my statement :lol:

Still, the number of people - overall - who buy short-stay passes compared to long-stay passes is likely very small.

fosse76

You cannot be compelled to work 7 days a week, because you always have the right to quite your job, but in most places in the US, you can be fired if you are unwilling to work when your employer wants you to, even if that is 7 days a week. There are federal rules regarding overtime pay, but none limiting hours, except for certain jobs impacting public safety.

Some states or local jurisdictions have stricter laws, but most do not. As a labor lawyer friend of mine put it..."The maximum number of hours an employee can be required to work in a week is 168."

Absolutely not true. If you are hourly and have fulfilled a 40 hour work week then you cannot be forced to work overtime or on days off (which after 40hrs IS overtime). If however you have not fulfilled your 40 hours, you can be forced to finish out your remaining hours on other days in which you are not scheduled for a full eight hour day including those that would have been your scheduled day off, but only up to the hours necessary to make 40 hours. Beyond that point, you cannot be forced. Threats of termination in this regard are illegal.

Exempt positions are a little different, since overtime rules don't apply. But they have a set number of hours they are expected to work, and cannot be forced to work more than what's required.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Absolutely not true. If you are hourly and have fulfilled a 40 hour work week then you cannot be forced to work overtime or on days off (which after 40hrs IS overtime). If however you have not fulfilled your 40 hours, you can be forced to finish out your remaining hours on other days in which you are not scheduled for a full eight hour day including those that would have been your scheduled day off, but only up to the hours necessary to make 40 hours. Beyond that point, you cannot be forced. Threats of termination in this regard are illegal.

Exempt positions are a little different, since overtime rules don't apply. But they have a set number of hours they are expected to work, and cannot be forced to work more than what's required.
Actually it is absolutely true. Certain positions do have restriction (ie nurse, truck driver, etc) there are contract restrictions for union workers, and states can enact there own overtime laws but for the most part if your employer tells you to work over time and you refuse you can be legally disciplined.

http://employeeissues.com/mandatory_overtime.htm

durangojim

I wish I knew about this "40 hour work week" when I was an intern and resident years ago. 90 to 120 hours/week was more like it.:lol:

PhilharMagician

As MichWolv and Master Yoda said it is completely true. You can be forced to work nearly unlimited overtime or risk being fired. The limit is 13 days straight in NY, but state labor laws can be differant.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Actually it is absolutely true. Certain positions do have restriction (ie nurse, truck driver, etc) there are contract restrictions for union workers, and states can enact there own overtime laws but for the most part if your employer tells you to work over time and you refuse you can be legally disciplined.

http://employeeissues.com/mandatory_overtime.htm

As MichWolv and Master Yoda said it is completely true. You can be forced to work nearly unlimited overtime or risk being fired. The limit is 13 days straight in NY, but state labor laws can be differant.

Thank you for the back-up.

Lucky

At this rate a one day ticket will be $100 by 2020. Next price hike will be parking to $20. At some point the will price out a most of there off site guest.
They've been increasing prices much faster than inflation, which was only 1 or 2 percent since the last price increase. But it's possible the big increases will continue. If people will pay $40 to park at an NFL game, they'll probably pay $20 (or $30 or $40) to park at MK. Look at ticket prices for pro sports concerts, and maybe WDW wouldn't lose many guests with a $100 one day park ticket. Judging from the price (and quality) of food at sporting events, I'd guess WDW could get away with increasing their menu prices by 30% or more if they wanted to.

The risk is that although guests might keep coming, they wouldn't be as happy, and the atmosphere of the parks would gradually deteriorate. Guests who feel exploited would be more demanding and unpleasant, affecting the attitudes of cast members, causing guests to be even less happy, etc.

This is basically what's happened in pro sports. Fans pay so much they feel entitled to behave badly, including throwing things and screaming obscenities at their own players when they're not performing well.

fillerup

From today's O'Sentinel - Dana Summers.....

55443428.jpg

PhilharMagician

So, have we had 33% inflation over the last five years? Because that's how much a one day ticket has increased over the 2005 price.

Last 5 years was about 13% inflation. But there is the US economy and the Disney economy. The Disney economy rose more like 40% when you figure in food prices, DDP increases of more than 50% in 5 years, ticket prices, mechandise prices and room rates. Somehow the demand is still there and the attendance still seems to rise.

I would love to see Universal and Seaworld do a marketing campain against Disney using a "we are not raising our prices like Disney" slogan. If WDW attendance drops a few percent then maybe we would get an adjustment finally.

JasonCajun

Last 5 years was about 13% inflation. But there is the US economy and the Disney economy. The Disney economy rose more like 40% when you figure in food prices, DDP increases of more than 50% in 5 years, ticket prices, mechandise prices and room rates. Somehow the demand is still there and the attendance still seems to rise.

I would love to see Universal and Seaworld do a marketing campain against Disney using a "we are not raising our prices like Disney" slogan. If WDW attendance drops a few percent then maybe we would get an adjustment finally.

I would, too. I love Disney, but enough is enough. At some point consumers need to stop acting like sheep and show their displeasure by spending money elsewhere.

wizards8507

You HAVE been getting that adjustment. First of all, nobody buys a one-day ticket. Second, free dining and room discounts are a buffer against diminished demand. If the economy thrives and people are shelling out the bucks, then Disney has the high prices in place to capitalize. If the market slows, they offer incentive programs to bring guests into the parks. It's foolproof.

JasonCajun

You HAVE been getting that adjustment. First of all, nobody buys a one-day ticket. Second, free dining and room discounts are a buffer against diminished demand. If the economy thrives and people are shelling out the bucks, then Disney has the high prices in place to capitalize. If the market slows, they offer incentive programs to bring guests into the parks. It's foolproof.

1. People do buy one day tickets. Weekenders. People traveling for business. I know it's not the best value, but that's not the point.

2. See where demand is when the incentive programs aren't being offered. The incentive programs were originally intended to be temporary, but the economy isn't turning around anytime soon, and Disney will absolutely need to keep those in place to continue to keep up their numbers. They do away with the incentive program, even after it's turned around, and you'll see the full effect of what the increases have done.

Maybe you're sheltered from the effects of this economy, or maybe you make enough money where the difference between $4k or $5k doesn't matter, but people with families and moderate incomes are definitely feeling the pinch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom