News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

MerlinTheGoat

I mean, the fence I have an issue with is still untouched and looking like painted ingredients are the final adjustment to it. If they fix it, I will happily state that my grumbling was unjustified.
Different fence, and yeah that definitely isn't getting removed unfortunately. As soon as they scribbled produce on it, it was clear that was what they were going with. Looks awful too. Looked bad on Splash, looks even more awful with the scribbles.

I was referring to the ugly green metal railing directly in front of the drop.

gerarar

Premium Member
What B-modes does MMRR have?
  • Mickey/Minnie projected on wall when balloon prop is broken during Carnival scene.
  • Mickey/Minnie projected on wall during underwater scene when green bush that covers them is broken.
  • In factory scene, the lanterns remain in down position when they are broken, so they don't "pump" up and down before Mickey pulls the switch. Also the carousel remains closed up so that too is projected when the prop is broke.

dmc493

Very random but there’s two circular designs embedded in the sidewalks at two spots in the queue - under the railroad and in front of the Main Entrance. They are ALWAYS covered with plywood in pictures. It’s probably so minor but I’m dying to know what it looks like

eddie104

Way to mischaracterize that poster's completely legitimate (and overly-earned) complaint.
I was stating my own opinion on the matter.

Now you may not with agree with me and that’s fine but my comment was based on my own observations.

Now tell me how did I “mischaracterize” that poster’s complaint?

Brer Panther

Mermaid is not a disappointing ride because it is a book report, it is a disappointing ride because it is a sing along that does not even do that well and focuses attention on a very select few things that almost seem out of context.
Book report rides aren’t inherently bad. It comes down to execution. Like you said Pan is good. TLM is bad. One we feel like we are part of the adventure. The other we are watching the highlights of the movie on a moving vehicle. Moving around every set and never through any which just reinforces the feeling that we are only watching a movie. We're not really there.

Would TBA be a guaranteed hit if they followed the source material more closely? No. Does the source material have all the right ingredients to make for a fun, rich and well rounded attraction? Yes. Much more so than what it seems we’re getting with TBA and much more than anything based on Frozen. Which I don’t think is great source material for a ride. Especially if you go the route they went in Tokyo.
It's the cheapness of it all. So many fish figures with no motion whatsover. The moving figures being moved with clearly-visible large pieces of plastic. The drummer being at eye-level rather than above or any angle that would make it look halfway like he's anywhere near touching the drums. The clear repeat of the figures from Under the Sea in the end above the surface. It was the first dark ride in what felt like forever with a huge facade in a legendary spot, and what we got was so underwhelming in so many ways, even with the couple impressive animatronics that keep breaking.
I was surprised at the talk of the Princess and the Frog soundtrack earlier, as I consider it the best since 1993.
For a simple spook-show style darkride like we see in Fantasyland, we ride past scenes pretty quickly, only getting a second or two to understand what is going on. This makes big bold choices key because guests don't have a ton of time to explore scenes. Omnimover attractions move a bit slower and the focus they give to scenes through orientation makes it demanding of more complex scenes. More detailed scenes, more dynamic effects and show scenes. This is where want to feel integrated more into the story, pass through the story rather than on the fringes of it.

By result, Mermaid feels little. The scenes seem smaller, the tone more one-note (this was a preview of where they were heading with Frozen Ever After), and the figures too static and plasticky to be started at for so long. That and a terrible finale.
Facilier didn’t have to be tied to the Frog storyline to have a presence in TBA. He or his shadow and friends could have come back for any reason. Revenge sounds about right. They could have used story beats from PATF and re-introduce Facilier however they want. Think Finding Nemo. Probably a good template for what TBA should/ could have been (story wise) in how it’s essentially most of the story beats from the movie but not a book report. It didn’t have to be the exact same story. For example in TBA they are using most of the original songs for a completely different story.

I didn’t list all the reasons why Mermaid fails. Mermaid does feel cheap because of bad execution. Ursula’s lair is probably the only scene that feels right.
I fully agree on all of this. To be honest, Frozen's story doesn't lend itself super-well to a "book report" dark ride. Same goes for Monsters Inc. - the story's a bit too complicated, which is why I think Tokyo's going for a ride set after the movie was a wise move.

Regarding the Facilier thing, they could easily just go "To heck with continuity" a la Remy's Ratatouille Adventure and have him just be in the ride with no explanation.

SilentWindODoom

A month-or-so ago one of the dates we expected news on passed and I wasn't at my computer so I decided to check Twitter and see if there was anything on the project.

Really put things on this board into context. Makes everyone feel much more reasonable and open-minded. But I wouldn't suggest anyone ever stick their head in that den of scum and villainy.

giphy.gif

yensidtlaw1969

I was stating my own opinion on the matter.

Now you may not with agree with me and that’s fine but my comment was based on my own observations.

Now tell me how did I “mischaracterize” that poster’s complaint?
Didn't really seem like that, considering you quoted someone's post and bolded the part that most related to your own comment. That seemed to suggest pretty fairly that you were attempting to undercut their assessment rather than merely offering your own separate one.

On top of that, I don't see anyone "pretending they don't criticize incomplete projects" - certainly not the poster you quoted. So that's the mischaracterization.

The issue people take here isn't just that there's any amount of criticism of a work in progress. There's a decent amount of healthy critique in this thread that no one really has a problem with. The issue is, as has been stated many times, the outrageous amount of overzealous destructive criticism of elements that are not even yet known to us. While it can get a little tiresome when someone comments for the 20th time about how they don't like the look of the facade, it's at least understandable to be developing an opinion of what's visible. But those overextending their own imaginations and continuing their tirades about set pieces that haven't yet been revealed or story points that they merely assume must exist can't reasonably expect to be taken seriously.

For literal years now there has been so much obsessive and ugly pre-emptive condemnation of choices that people simply imagine WDI is making for this ride, many of which have already been disproven by the continued construction. The outrage about the Green Fence that was obviously going to be hidden is a recent example (and a relatively benign one!). This thread has had to be so heavily moderated that at this point reading what remains doesn't paint a full picture of how contentious and nasty the timbre of it has often gotten, so if you haven't seen that in real time it can be hard to understand why people seem to get their hackles up so quickly. But for anyone who has been following closely throughout, @Disney Analyst 's comment about "years and years of constant pile ons" is unfortunately very apt. This pattern can be seen in discussion about this ride all across the internet - criticism of rides in development is not unique to Tiana's Bayou Adventure, but the level of aggressive, overt, and misplaced vitriol is absolutely unique, and pointedly consistent for a ride about a princess and her musical animal friends in a magical swamp.

It is so painfully clear that the problem runs much deeper than people thinking the plastic flowers look cheap or that some of the paint choices seem odd. When we've reached the point of pathological fault-finding that loses touch with what's even actually happening it becomes unsurprising that people would feel the need to push back against posts that don't seem to correctly assess the content they're responding to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom