News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

yensidtlaw1969

They were running logs one night last week but it was dark on the ride itself, no lighting at all.

So would this be for show/scene/audio pacing? I can't see another reason, outside of safety system checks, to be running logs on a known ride system that is just getting a re-theme.
While the ride's layout hasn't been changed, it is entirely possible that the pathway of the ride has seen work. It was 30 years old, after all, and the attraction was not known for being in the best condition when it closed.

Add to the fact that a lot of things can go wrong when your ride hasn't been run in a year (and had in-depth active construction all around it) and there are plenty of reasons for them to be cycling things. Better they catch any unexpected issues now.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
While the ride's layout hasn't been changed, it is entirely possible that the pathway of the ride has seen work. It was 30 years old, after all, and the attraction was not known for being in the best condition when it closed.

Add to the fact that a lot of things can go wrong when your ride hasn't been run in a year and there are plenty of reasons for them to be cycling things. Better they catch any unexpected issues now.
There were certainly fairly significant changes made at the splash down area, so at the very least that is all going to have to be re-certified. And then as you say, there are likely changes elsewhere.

Drew the Disney Dude

In the Parks
Yes
I have to say in all of the photos I have seen. I don't see the most important worker "ladder" has it made an appearance
?
20240229_122630.jpg

;)

Sectorkeeper71

they really needed that boat (or something) up top. It’s giving me Snow White / fantasyland vibes.

It’s like a fairy tale hill sticking up over the swamp.
What sticks out to me is how much forced perspective work the stump did to make the hill look taller. I’ve seen people say the drop looks shorter now and I think that’s the big difference

jpeden

In the Parks
No
What sticks out to me is how much forced perspective work the stump did to make the hill look taller. I’ve seen people say the drop looks shorter now and I think that’s the big difference

Honestly I agree with some of the thoughts on here that making it look shorter may have been on purpose to make it look "less scary" to smaller guests since it's now a princess themed attraction.

yensidtlaw1969

Honestly I agree with some of the thoughts on here that making it look shorter may have been on purpose to make it look "less scary" to smaller guests since it's now a princess themed attraction.
That doesn’t check out when you consider the height requirement is still the same. They’re not seeking to entice guests that are appreciably younger than the ones who would ride before.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
That doesn’t check out when you consider the height requirement is still the same. They’re not seeking to entice guests that are appreciably younger than the ones who would ride before.

I get from an ops standpoint that the height requirement hasn't changed - I just wonder if kids that meet the height requirement might have been put off by the appearance of the drop on Splash won't feel the same looking at the mountain in its current form.

I only say this because as the parent of a small child, the visuals of the ride are often more influencing than the actual ride itself. My 3 year old was SUPER pumped to ride Mine Train and we watched videos of it for HOURS but once we got boots on the ground and he saw it in person it was an absolute NOPE based on how "tall and fast" it appeared to him even though he was extremely familiar with it beforehand. That was my thought process behind possibly making the drop look smaller - that way kids who could ride might not seem as scared of it.

I could be extremely wrong however.

yensidtlaw1969

I get from an ops standpoint that the height requirement hasn't changed - I just wonder if kids that meet the height requirement might have been put off by the appearance of the drop on Splash won't feel the same looking at the mountain in its current form.

I only say this because as the parent of a small child, the visuals of the ride are often more influencing than the actual ride itself. My 3 year old was SUPER pumped to ride Mine Train and we watched videos of it for HOURS but once we got boots on the ground and he saw it in person it was an absolute NOPE based on how "tall and fast" it appeared to him even though he was extremely familiar with it beforehand. That was my thought process behind possibly making the drop look smaller - that way kids who could ride might not seem as scared of it.

I could be extremely wrong however.
But to your own point, the drop is still plenty visible - we've been watching videos for days now of logs dropping down it, as tall and as fast as ever. Losing heighth off the top of the building doesn't really make the drop beneath that look any shorter.

I really don't get the impression they're trying to be any more welcoming to small riders than they were before. There were already plenty of 4 year olds who weren't deterred before. I don't think any child who would have been afraid of Splash will suddenly want to ride Tiana's just because the same big scary drop is surrounded by flowers and is missing a pointy tree above it.

Besides, what good would that do them? The drop is the drop. The only thing worse than children being scared of it from off the ride would be being ambushed by it ON the ride. They learned their lesson from Alien Encounter. Keeping scary secrets is bad for business.

Bocabear

But to your own point, the drop is still plenty visible - we've been watching videos for days now of logs dropping down it, as tall and as fast as ever. Losing heighth off the top of the building doesn't really make the drop beneath that look any shorter.

I really don't get the impression they're trying to be any more welcoming to small riders than they were before. There were already plenty of 4 year olds who weren't deterred before. I don't think any child who would have been afraid of Splash will suddenly want to ride Tiana's just because the same big scary drop is surrounded by flowers and is missing a pointy tree above it.

Besides, what good would that do them? The drop is the drop. The only thing worse than children being scared of it from off the ride would be being ambushed by it ON the ride. They learned their lesson from Alien Encounter. Keeping scary secrets is bad for business.
Let's be honest though, Alien Encounter had at least a dozen warning signs throughout the queue about the fear level and it not being appropriate for small children... Parents ignored them and then complained thet their precious little pumpkin pie was scared...It was a great attraction and an asset to Tomorrowland...lost because Parents refused to heed the signs and take responsibility for their children.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Let's be honest though, Alien Encounter had at least a dozen warning signs throughout the queue about the fear level and it not being appropriate for small children... Parents ignored them and then complained thet their precious little pumpkin pie was scared...It was a great attraction and an asset to Tomorrowland...lost because Parents refused to heed the signs and take responsibility for their children.

Marty Deeks Facts GIF by ION

yensidtlaw1969

That's . . . my point.

Disney isn't "hiding the drop" on Tiana's because they know all that would get them is crying children and screaming parents who didn't think the ride would be too intense for their kid. Instead the drop will continue to announce itself plainly at the front of the attraction, allowing any children who aren't up for it to pass before they get on the line. Unlike Alien Encounter, which did not telegraph on the outside how intense the attraction inside would be.

Warning signs aren't enough - you have to show people what they're in for. Disney knows this.

BuddyThomas

That's . . . my point.

Disney isn't "hiding the drop" on Tiana's because they know all that would get them is crying children and screaming parents who didn't think the ride would be too intense for their kid. Instead the drop will continue to announce itself plainly at the front of the attraction, allowing any children who aren't up for it to pass before they get on the line. Unlike Alien Encounter, which did not telegraph on the outside how intense the attraction inside would be.

Warning signs aren't enough - you have to show people what they're in for. Disney knows this.
Warning signs are not enough??? What do you want? Live actors standing outside the ride re-enacting it in its entirety? These signs were all over the place, and they were enough. If Mommie and Daddie chose to ignore the signs, that’s on them.

CA768FB0-A01C-42CB-9C0D-E494AC626705.jpeg
ED43F26E-863F-46A1-B178-77FC09E9AC83.jpeg

DCBaker

Premium Member
Circle March 23, 2024.

New details have been added to the D23 event to mention Tiana's Bayou Adventure:

Just Announced – New Details!
  • Tiana’s Bayou Adventure at Disney Parks: Adding to the flavors of this festive celebration, how’s this for a dash of spice? Guests of this event will get a peek at what’s cooking with Tiana’s Bayou Adventure-coming to Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort later this year. At a specially curated presentation, you’ll discover new ingredients at play from Walt Disney Imagineering, detailing the impeccable research, collaboration, and creative development that is bringing elements of the real-life magic from New Orleans to this exciting attraction. It’s going to be a can’t-miss deep dive into what fans can anticipate from this new adventure with Tiana, Naveen, and a whole bayou of friends, both new and familiar!

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
New details have been added to the D23 event to mention Tiana's Bayou Adventure:

• Tiana’s Bayou Adventure at Disney Parks: Adding to the flavors of this festive celebration, how’s this for a dash of spice? Guests of this event will get a peek at what’s cooking with Tiana’s Bayou Adventure-coming to Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort later this year. At a specially curated presentation, you’ll discover new ingredients at play from Walt Disney Imagineering, detailing the impeccable research, collaboration, and creative development that is bringing elements of the real-life magic from New Orleans to this exciting attraction. It’s going to be a can’t-miss deep dive into what fans can anticipate from this new adventure with Tiana, Naveen, and a whole bayou of friends, both new and familiar!
I'm guessing this is where they'll drop an opening date for Magic Kingdom's version. Makes more sense than just doing it during the investment call on the 3rd

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member

Well that's tempting. They've also added an archives presentation on Disney and New Orleans. It's only 10 minutes away so I've considered going and seeing if able to share here any fun news, although I wouldn't be surprised if Parks Blog shares at the same time.

ETA: I now have tickets.

Last edited:

Stupido

Voice of Louis, Michael Wooly posted a digital ride though of the ride to his instagram today. It seems to feature the lost trumpet storyline, briar patch thorns, and Dr Facilier in the lift. I'm not sure if this is a very preliminary version of the ride? But confirms to have seen an "over 7ft animatronic of Louis," and one of Charlotte too!

Homemade Imagineering

Voice of Louis, Michael Wooly posted a digital ride though of the ride to his instagram today. It seems to feature the lost trumpet storyline, briar patch thorns, and Dr Facilier in the lift. I'm not sure if this is a very preliminary version of the ride? But confirms to have seen an "over 7ft animatronic of Louis," and one of Charlotte too!

It’s this, nothing new just a fan recreation from a couple years back in planet coaster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom