News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

LittleBuford

The only scenes that will reflect the Tiana’s Foods part will be before the Slippin' Falls drop into the show building, and Disney Parks Blog has already posted what we will see in the outdoor scenes:

"Tiana revived the old salt mine and the surrounding land, growing a wide array of vegetables, herbs and spices for her recipes."

"Complete with a boutique farm
and both a working and teaching kitchen, Tiana’s Foods is where Tiana and her colleagues create all sorts of new products that they are bringing to the world, including a line of original hot sauces."
I really hate this verbiage. It sounds so anachronistic and weird. I just hope the tone of the scenes themselves will be different.

Surferboy567

I really hate this verbiage. It sounds so anachronistic and weird. I just hope the tone of the scenes themselves will be different.
I have to agree with this as well. It also brings up a few questions. Why are there logs going into a “boutique farm”? Why are we rising UP to go into the bayou? Why are portions of Tiana’s land flooded?

Surferboy567

These aren’t questions that are raised for me. After all, it’s not as if Splash Mountain made any topographical sense.
That’s a fair point, but it also begs the question why they decide to go with this crazy detailed backstory that also doesn’t really lend itself to a log ride? It doesn’t really matter though because I can’t imagine the Co-Op thing is gonna be that important beyond the queue.

MerlinTheGoat

That’s a fair point, but it also begs the question why they decide to go with this crazy detailed backstory that also doesn’t really lend itself to a log ride? It doesn’t really matter though because I can’t imagine the Co-Op thing is gonna be that important beyond the queue.
The salt dome co-op backstory is what most people (even many who are otherwise positive) agree is really stupid. It was cobbled together as an attempt to try and force the ride to "fit" into an otherwise inappropriate and nonsensical location. I'm happy that once the first drop hits, it seems like the ride is largely going to be about an upbeat romp through a bayou with musical critters. But it's a shame that the "first impressions" of the queue and parts of the exterior will have this absurd backstory so in your face.

Last edited:

BrianLo

I didn't mention the King, Queen, and Big Daddy because they weren't confirmed to me to be in the finale, they were supposed to be staged in the beginning of the attraction but their placement wasn't consistent, nor made sense, so they were placed in the finale for the Mardi Gras celebration that takes place at the end of the attraction.

And as for the rest of the critter figures that the PR team keeps mentioning with every update, the critters are the focus point of this attraction, and they aren't advanced but that's not to say that's a bad thing, it allows the team to fill in the area with a lot more figures of the quality that you see for the fish in the Little Mermaid attraction in MK and DCA. The 17 new figures are all the human cast with a few of the characters having up to 2 and even 3 figures spread throughout the attraction, just wanted to clarify that.

So just to clarify, some of the critters are indeed also in the finale, it’s 9 humanoid AA’s (including Louis)?

TrainsOfDisney

These aren’t questions that are raised for me. After all, it’s not as if Splash Mountain made any topographical sense.
I agree, but splash didn’t try to justify it either.

Cosmic Rewind suffers from this as well, something doesn’t fit so they reeeeeeaaaaach and try to make it fit by telling us how it actually does fit.

In the end just put up a sign that says “this is the IP we chose, enjoy the ride and buy some merch - thanks” (sarcasm of course).

Edit - cosmic rewind is of course a way bigger stretch for a fit - which is why it’s all the more odd to go this length for a backstory, salt dome, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Incomudro

The salt dome co-op backstory is what most people (even many who are otherwise positive) agree is really stupid. It was cobbled together as an attempt to try and force the ride to "fit" into an otherwise inappropriate and nonsensical location. I'm happy that once the first drop hits, it seems like the ride is largely going to be about an upbeat romp through a bayout with musical critters. But it's a shame that the "first impressions" of the queue and parts of the exterior will have this absurd backstory so in your face.
And it's just odd that Disney didn't emphasize upbeat romp through the bayou with a big Splash at the end, over employee owned food co-op from the start.
I know it's all the rage in current times, but come on.

BrianLo

I agree, but splash didn’t try to justify it either.

Cosmic Rewind suffers from this as well, something doesn’t fit so they reeeeeeaaaaach and try to make it fit by telling us how it actually does fit.

In the end just put up a sign that says “this is the IP we chose, enjoy the ride and buy some merch - thanks” (sarcasm of course).

Edit - cosmic rewind is of course a way bigger stretch for a fit - which is why it’s all the more odd to go this length for a backstory, salt dome, etc.

Since the name “Splash Mountain” did not come from song of the south - trying to erase that name feels very odd to me. But I don’t understand getting rid of the “tower of terror” brand at DCA either.

I think this movement was popularized by Joe Rohde and a few key other imagineers in the halls of Imagineering. We are now into the second generation wave of imagineers that were trained in this thought. Every thing needs an elaborate story and a reason to be.

The trouble is modern marketing has further jumped on it and details that were maybe there for the really keen to find are now pumped full force into the community. What was a nice level of neuroticism on Joe’s philosophical part is now a marketing encyclopedia.

As it is I don’t think there’s anything terribly wrong with the movement, though it makes things very costly and slow to produce. But we didn’t need the Silmarillion pushed on us while we wait for the Hobbit/lord of the rings, as it were.

I think marketing aside the queue will be somewhat reminiscent of modern Jungle Cruise, some piped in audio, props and some neat little references to what Tiana has been up to since her film. We’ll be loaded onto the logs that normally take the food cargo down stream and that’s pretty much more than 90% of guests will even need to know or actually pay attention to. Some audio will tell us we need to go retrieve the missing ingredient that was lost down stream as the setup for the journey. The outdoor initial parts of the ride will be pass the hobby farm (stuff growing) and cargo props. We’ll be off to the bayou as soon as we enter the primary show building (musical adventure ensues) and leave its borders essentially with the final drop, whatever ‘ingredient’ Tiana needed in tact. We arrive to the celebration at her restaurant in New Orleans.

BrianLo

Maybe but Joe is the only one that got the balance right. I can’t think of another good example…

And some would surely argue he was over indulgent. But he was largely contained to his one playground (Animal Kingdom); since it was always designed that way with his hand, it works collectively as a whole. Joe’s philosophies drove Galaxies Edge decision to be its own medium.

One can also make the argument it is what sets recent Imagineering apart from Universal Creative. Where their only real success comes when someone has done the encyclopedic prep work for them (J.K Rowling and WB for example).

It does produce very interesting, highly detailed lands. But it gets even easier to rely on source material, leading us to the design trends we’ve reached today.

LittleBuford

I noted it - but as a bad example. Tower of Terror is itself a brand, a very successful one. It make no sense to throw that into the trash.
I think what you're viewing as the issue with these decisions is the point: they want the replacement attractions to be viewed as independently as possible. Retaining the names of the predecessor attractions would directly undermine this aim.

Touchdown

One can also make the argument it is what sets recent Imagineering apart from Universal Creative. Where their only real success comes when someone has done the encyclopedic prep work for them (J.K Rowling and WB for example).
Gotta update your arguments, Veliciocoaster, Super Nintendo World, SLoP are all widely popular. Also construction pictures of all of Epic Universe look amazing.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

I think what you're viewing as the issue with these decisions is the point: they want the replacement attractions to be viewed as independently as possible. Retaining the names of the predecessor attractions would directly undermine this aim.

It would make zero sense to keep the name of an attraction, which has been completely changed. It would cause further confusion, and make little sense.

You are right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom