News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

EPCOT-O.G.

The hoops people have to jump through to defend this...
Yeah, they even posted a poll where 70% said they had no problem tracking what was going on in the ride. This thread, incidentally, opened the day WDW Splash closed and details were starting to trickle out about TBA

LittleBuford

This revisionism happened just around the time some of the more bizarre narrative choices began to be released for the new ride. “The old ride didn’t make any sense either.” Pretty transparent what they were trying to do.
The hoops people have to jump through to defend this...
You’re making some very strange assumptions here. What do you make of a poster like @Incomudro, who is one of those who found Splash Mountain narratively unclear yet did not want it rethemed?

LittleBuford

Yeah, they even posted a poll where 70% said they had no problem tracking what was going on in the ride. This thread, incidentally, opened the day WDW Splash closed and details were starting to trickle out about TBA

“They” is me; there’s no need to be evasive.

Contrary to the weird spin you’re trying to put on it, the poll was not intended to diminish Splash Mountain in order to make Tiana’s Bayou Adventure look better. I loved Splash Mountain and am by no means taking for granted that its replacement will be anywhere near as good. I’ve said as much dozens of times now, but some of you are intent on ignoring anything that doesn’t fit your either/or framing.

Dranth

Wait, are you using a user generated poll posted on a self-selecting fan site as proof that the splash story was easy to follow? One that says under 50% of people who are big enough fans to go through all the effort to find this site, sign up, read the specific thread, and then bother to vote completely understood the ride?

Sure, I think most people who have been on it a few times could put together a very rough outline, but I doubt a majority got the full picture.

tanc

Tron's attraction page went live 205 days (6 months and 24 days) before it officially opened to the public.
So by that math, this unfortunate re-do of splash mountain will open ...

Thursday, August 15, 2024​

Summer does sound the most probable to be honest, just in time for a water ride. I'd say August or September is what my estimate would be.

Andrew M

According to concept art you are plunging into water with lilly pads and flowers, right? I feel like the concept of plunging into thorns and then water below made so much more sense. Sigh….
Unless you are somehow turned into a frog mid-ride? That would also explain away why there's a mountain in the middle of Louisiana..

Casper Gutman

You’re making some very strange assumptions here. What do you make of a poster like @Incomudro, who is one of those who found Splash Mountain narratively unclear yet did not want it rethemed?
Almost no one is particularly familiar with Disney’s Song of the South. I’ve seen it ONCE decades ago in an academic context.

Nevertheless, the “briar patch” story is very deeply engrained in American folklore and idioms. It’s something people pick up even without any experience of the film itself.

But… even for those guests unfamiliar with the story, the ride expertly deployed dialogue, music, and various techniques borrowed from cinema to tell its story. Context clues and basic narrative literacy should allow guests to understand the “briar patch” plot elements. Saying that the sound system was broken so the story was inexplicable reads as a dodge, because the important dialogue was generally loud and clear (key lines are engrained in my memory) and the visuals and music reinforced the narrative even if guests only rode once and missed a key line.

Honestly, this isn’t HM or Pirates, masterpieces with only a vague narrative. It’s not Little Mermaid, assuming guests know the story and presenting only disconnected highlights. Splash told a tight, brief story through the tools of the dark ride without relying on guests previous knowledge.

The source material may have meant Splash legitimately needed to go, but we can acknowledge and discuss why the attraction was historically problematic without pretending that, artistically and narratively, it was anything short of a masterpiece.

Bocabear

So Bre'r Rabbit was leaving his home for more excitement and was "Movin' along"...but not being in the briar patch exposed him to the danger of Bre'r Bear and Bre'r Fox... Bre'r Rabbit convinces them to throw him into the Briar Patch to "take care of him", not realizing that the Briar Patch was actually his home... Bre'r Rabbit gets away returning to the Briar Patch with a newfound appreciation for his home...
The story was pretty clear.... The Disneyland version seemed to convey it the best..... but they both told the same story

Incomudro

"Join Tiana and Louis on their journey, as they discover..."
Disney's words.
So, it seems that the ride we are going along on centers around Tiana and Louis.
I'm interested in seeing how this plays out.
I'm quite happy to see that Louis plays a big part of it.

LittleBuford

The source material may have meant Splash legitimately needed to go, but we can acknowledge and discuss why the attraction was historically problematic without pretending that, artistically and narratively, it was anything short of a masterpiece.
I think you know my posting style well enough by now to realise that this isn't my style at all. Multiple people (including those against the retheme) have indicated that they did not find the narrative clear in all its particulars. I see no reason to doubt them or accuse them of pretending anything.

(For my part, I'm unable to say how much of the story I would have understood from the ride alone, since I watched the film frequently as a child.)

TP2000

(For my part, I'm unable to say how much of the story I would have understood from the ride alone, since I watched the film frequently as a child.)

I've said this before, but... I was middle aged when Splash Mt. debuted at Disneyland in '89. I rode it several times at Disneyland during the Bush 1 administration, and I'd seen the movie as a youngster and was vaguely aware of the source material. But...

Until I rode the WDW version of Splash Mountain for the first time five years later, I had no idea that Splash Mountain had any sort of a plot. I really just thought it was a collage of songs and fun characters with a big drop and a riverboat musical finale'. The Disneyland version was a mess storywise, although it had more animatronics and an admittedly more thrilling ride experience sitting down inside an actual log vehicle instead of the bigger, taller boats they used at WDW that put you up higher above the waterline.

That said.... 40 inch height requirement for the Princess Tiana ride. Oof! According to Google, the average American girl doesn't reach 40 inches until after her 5th birthday. I assume there's a bunch of 4 year old girls who are going to ask to speak to the manager about this?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom