News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Rich Brownn

This, right here.

-
I remember asking one of the imagineers back in the day why the Country Bear Jamboree worked, while the Mickey Mouse Revue never seemed to connect. "Simple" he told me "CBJ was programmed by animators and MMR was programmed by programmers" The then told me to look at how eyes were. Bears moved and looked real. The major of the MMR has eyes that only blinked.

Casper Gutman

The song is mediocre but the lyrics are very bad. It reminds me of a post-peak EPCOT song for some reason. I’m not cruel enough to say Food Rocks, but…

More importantly, the song is tied to three major problems with the ride. The first is the absurd definition of “authenticity.” Nobody cares about the current or past residence of the guy who wrote the song or made a weathervane or painted a mural. This isn’t the New Orleans chamber of commerce, it’s a theme park ride. What matters is how the song FEELS. This song feels… fine. Certainly not the equal of an E-ticket finale song.

The second issue is that the music from PatF is really good. It’s a big part of why the IP worked, like Ray and Facilier. Not using the song doesn’t make this ride “less IP” or more original, it makes it a weaker representation of the IP. Tiana is great, but she’s only one part of the charm of the franchise, the only one really represented in the ride.

Finally, the song is bland, just like the ride. There’s no edge, something that defined classic Disney rides like Pirates, Mansion, JC, the original Bears, etc. It’s banal and safe… and corporate. Facilier could have gone a long way to fixing this.

Oh well… let’s all add our special spice to the gumbo and hope the health inspector doesn’t find out.

MouseEarsMom33

Minor thing overall, but those new TBA signs really bug me as they try, but ultimately fail, to match the rest of the signs on this post. Oddly symbolic of the issues many have with modern WDI...?

View attachment 788644 View attachment 788645
The woodgrain is almost nonexistent, the typeface weight is different, the construction (with the letters glued on top of the backing) visibly differs from the others, and even the scale is off as TBA should be in larger letters to denote it as an attraction yet is sized similarly to the restroom sign.

While the previous Splash Mountain version wasn't a 1-1 match either, I'd say it did a better job than these new Tiana ones.
View attachment 788656
With BBTM happening likely soon, this might be a temporary sign anyway.

pigglewiggle

You can’t tell which bear is Big Al?

Are you also confused about what Mickey Mouse looks like?

This is the inevitable part of the discussion where we pretend everything about classic Disney is bad and dumb in an attempt to defend the latest attraction.

Been going to WDW since late 70s. We sat through Country Bears once when I was a child and I hated it. Never have been back to see it since (although I suspect that was more because my dad was bored by it).

I could not tell you who Big Al was. I just know them as a collective - The Country Bears. I just wave at them when they wave at me.

Even worse, I don't know which one is Chip and which one is Dale.

LittleBuford

Finally, the song is bland, just like the ride.
With all due respect (and I really do respect the thought you put into your posts), you can’t yet declare the ride to be bland. The finished result may well confirm your impression—I suspect it will—but none of us is in a position to offer a definitive characterisation at this stage.

Casper Gutman

Been going to WDW since late 70s. We sat through Country Bears once when I was a child and I hated it. Never have been back to see it since (although I suspect that was more because my dad was bored by it).

I could not tell you who Big Al was. I just know them as a collective - The Country Bears. I just wave at them when they wave at me.

I honestly don’t grasp this level of obliviousness. If I vacation someplace regularly (heck, if I vacation someplace ONCE) I’m going to want to learn something about it. And avoiding a ride for over 50 years? I ride even the attractions I dislike every few years just to see if I still dislike them!

Big Al isn’t obscure. He’s on lots of merch and is featured pretty heavily outside the attraction. It’s only a bit better than not knowing who Figment is. I despise Duffy, but I know all about him… and he never had an attraction!

Casper Gutman

With all due respect (and I really do respect the thought you put into your posts), you can’t yet declare the ride to be bland. The finished result may well confirm your impression—I suspect it will—but none of us is in a position to offer a definitive characterisation at this stage.
This is fair to a considerable extent. I wouldn’t file a published review about the ride yet. But we’re a bunch of fans making pronouncements based on an early video, so I think it’s fair enough. Feel free to add an “opinion subject to change” disclaimer to anything I say.

pigglewiggle

I honestly don’t grasp this level of obliviousness. If I vacation someplace regularly (heck, if I vacation someplace ONCE) I’m going to want to learn something about it. And avoiding a ride for over 50 years? I ride even the attractions I dislike every few years just to see if I still dislike them!

Big Al isn’t obscure. He’s on lots of merch and is featured pretty heavily outside the attraction. It’s only a bit better than not knowing who Figment is. I despise Duffy, but I know all about him… and he never had an attraction!

Calm down with the insults disguised as intellect, Casper. I'm not oblivious. I know what the Country Bears are and I know the show. It's not my cup of tea and I don't waste my time watching it. I don't watch the Hall of Presidents either.

I also don't keep going back to restaurants I don't like either, just to see if they got better.

If it makes you feel better, I will fully allow that you just may be a bigger Disney fan than I am.

DCLcruiser

I've been going to WDW for 35 years and I have probably seen Bears twice, if not once. I have just about zero interest in going to a new one. Frontierland, besides Pecos Bills, is an avenue to get me to Splash/Thunder Mountain...actually, I cut along the river rope path and avoid it altogether.

...But, I can pick out Big Al.

LittleBuford

This is fair to a considerable extent. I wouldn’t file a published review about the ride yet. But we’re a bunch of fans making pronouncements based on an early video, so I think it’s fair enough. Feel free to add an “opinion subject to change” disclaimer to anything I say.
It may seem pedantic, but I draw a distinction between “It looks bland” (equivalent to the “It looks amazing!” posts you’re alluding to) and “It is bland.” At any rate, I’ll take your disclaimer into acccount going forward.

Casper Gutman

Calm down with the insults disguised as intellect, Casper. I'm not oblivious. I know what the Country Bears are and I know the show. It's not my cup of tea and I don't waste my time watching it. I don't watch the Hall of Presidents either.

I also don't keep going back to restaurants I don't like either, just to see if they got better.

If it makes you feel better, I will fully allow that you just may be a bigger Disney fan than I am.
Your post was a proud pronouncement of ignorance. That’s fine, knowing about Disney World is of very small importance in the universe and I’m sure you know lots of stuff about lots of other things. I’m just taking your post at face value.

And we’re all fans here. It’s not a competition.

plutofan15

How my kids figured out which one was Chip and which one was Dale - Dale has the red nose, Chip has the black nose (chocolate chip).

pigglewiggle

Your post was a proud pronouncement of ignorance. That’s fine, knowing about Disney World is of very small importance in the universe and I’m sure you know lots of stuff about lots of other things. I’m just taking your post at face value.

And we’re all fans here. It’s not a competition.

I'd say it was more of a reaction to your reaction to the other poster who didn't know who Big Al was.
I normally don't just throw that fact into everyday conversation. 😄

SilentWindODoom

Eh... Big Al isn't Pickwick, but he isn't Figment. He's a great character in a great attraction. But as legendary to theme park history as the four birds that host the Tiki Room are, I can see someone who absolutely despise the attraction and thus when they come in contact with anything from the show just don't take it in at all. People do it all the time.

Incomudro

The song is mediocre but the lyrics are very bad. It reminds me of a post-peak EPCOT song for some reason. I’m not cruel enough to say Food Rocks, but…

More importantly, the song is tied to three major problems with the ride. The first is the absurd definition of “authenticity.” Nobody cares about the current or past residence of the guy who wrote the song or made a weathervane or painted a mural. This isn’t the New Orleans chamber of commerce, it’s a theme park ride. What matters is how the song FEELS. This song feels… fine. Certainly not the equal of an E-ticket finale song.

The second issue is that the music from PatF is really good. It’s a big part of why the IP worked, like Ray and Facilier. Not using the song doesn’t make this ride “less IP” or more original, it makes it a weaker representation of the IP. Tiana is great, but she’s only one part of the charm of the franchise, the only one really represented in the ride.

Finally, the song is bland, just like the ride. There’s no edge, something that defined classic Disney rides like Pirates, Mansion, JC, the original Bears, etc. It’s banal and safe… and corporate. Facilier could have gone a long way to fixing this.

Oh well… let’s all add our special spice to the gumbo and hope the health inspector doesn’t find out.
This is what happens when those creating entertainment are more concerned about box checking than entertaining people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom