News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Interesting choice of Afro-Cuban jazz. I believe Afro-Cuban jazz popularized in the 1940s (after the ride setting period) far away from Louisiana in, I think, New York. Some New Orleans jazz musicians have some Spanish and African influence but I don't believe that Afro Cuban is a style that would have been played in bayou / New Orleans, and certainly not in the era the attraction is set. New Orleans jazz and Dixieland jazz, like heard in the film, would have been more accurate. They are more about harmony whereas Afro-Cuban jazz is more about rhythm. So Afro-Cuban music is shoe-horned into an attraction itself shoe-horned. 😅

That said, New Orleans jazz and Dixieland jazz will live on, and maybe still represented in the ride, but if inclusion of Afro-Cuban jazz introduces people to the style and does anything to help keep the style alive then I think it's worth it.

Drew the Disney Dude

In the Parks
Yes
Is my count wrong or are we actually getting 19 new characters, not 17 like Disney keep advertising? First 6 Critters in the 1st band + 6 critters in the 2nd band + 4 frogs in the third band + Gloria and Delores the frogs + Lari the armadillo = 19
The post on DPB is not the best because it's leading to a lot of confusion, but this is the first confirmation we've had of *additional* original characters that will be physically appearing, but not as animatronics.

The photos from inside the ride shared today aren't animatronics and also aren't related to the critter band of frogs — which is Felipe, Mayra, Mondo, and Isabel.

Felipe, Mayra, Mondo, and Isabel will be in their own scene and will be playing Afro-Cuban music. If you look at the background of the "cards," we can also see that this scene will be bright with sunlight coming through the Cypress trees.

The fact that we are getting the 17 original characters as animatronics on top of these figures is great, and a fun surprise.

EDIT: I am wrong on what I shared above. The photos from inside the ride are the same frog band also revealed today.

Last edited:

ChewbaccaYourMum

Let's be honest -- if Splash Mountain was being built right now, they would almost certainly be releasing background information for all of the critters. I don't think it's anything to complain about, at least not in terms of comparison between Tiana and Splash.

That's just how Disney operates today.
Exactly. Having these little backstories just makes it a little more fun for the people that want it. They're not forcing anyone to know it before going on the ride.

I don't see how this info could be harmful in any way.

It's also funny because it seems like Disney does stuff like this for people like US on this forum who have such a passion for the parks and history and stories that the majority of everyday guests will never even know exist or care about. But yet there's still people here that find a way to make this into a negative lol. Go figure! It adds into the narrative that Disney can never win...especially with their biggest fans lol.

James Alucobond

Exactly. Having these little backstories just makes it a little more fun for the people that want it. They're not forcing anyone to know it before going on the ride.

I don't see how this info could be harmful in any way.

It's also funny because it seems like Disney does stuff like this for people like US on this forum who have such a passion for the parks and history and stories that the majority of everyday guests will never even know exist or care about. But yet there's still people here that find a way to make this into a negative lol. Go figure! It adds into the narrative that Disney can never win...especially with their biggest fans lol.
I think it’s fair, based on some of their recent output, to be a bit concerned that there will be too much focus on an overspun narrative. They’ve leaned a little too hard into active storytelling lately.

That said, these short character biographies have nothing to do with that and shouldn’t be treated as if they do. We kind of just have to wait and see how the ride presents everything at this point.

MerlinTheGoat

The post on DPB is not the best because it's leading to a lot of confusion, but this is the first confirmation we've had of *additional* original characters that will be physically appearing, but not as animatronics.

The photos from inside the ride shared today aren't animatronics and also aren't related to the critter band of frogs — which is Felipe, Mayra, Mondo, and Isabel.

Felipe, Mayra, Mondo, and Isabel will be in their own scene and will be playing Afro-Cuban music. If you look at the background of the "cards," we can also see that this scene will be bright with sunlight coming through the Cypress trees.

The fact that we are getting the 17 original characters as animatronics on top of these figures is great, and a fun surprise.
Looking at the art of the band of the four frogs side by side with the photo of that show scene with the frogs, it's very clear that they are in fact the same characters. They share identical designs. But it also seems like this photo is probably nearer the beginning of the ride, while they will appear again later probably in the Laughing Place playing their instruments.

Given how small these figures probably are, I'm not willing to assume they will have significant movement. The ones playing instruments will likely have a bit at least (if the shrinking rumor had been true then they could have been human sized and large proper AAs), but the ones in the photo i'm not even sure will move at all (maybe a little bit, but probably not much). Even the instrument playing variants could conceivable be limited motion figures similar to Little Mermaid, especially going by what we've seen from the relatively larger Beaver with its simplistic movement. And if that does end up being the case, i'd definitely not classify them as animatronics.

So either those additional normal frogs aren't present in the set photo they released, or they've just opted to use duplicate designs of the main four frogs for the minor ones as well.

Last edited:

Homemade Imagineering

He’s an old-school family guy
IMG_5691.jpeg

Bayou

The non animatronics are Felipe, Mayra, Mondo, and Isabel just in a different scene. Throughout the journey, they'll stand as statues, silently observing us, and be the surprise last animatronic group of critters.

mickEblu

The non animatronics are Felipe, Mayra, Mondo, and Isabel just in a different scene. Throughout the journey, they'll stand as statues, silently observing us, and be the surprise last animatronic group of critters.

I noticed the blog said other AAs will be much bigger. Considering the fact that we know this through common sense and the fact that we all saw the Imagineering video with the AAs from last week I have to imagine they might be referring to the fact that we’re going to see some giant Frog AAs? So maybe we get shrunk down to the size of fireflies and not frogs. I thought that scene was rumored to not be happening anymore. Do you know anything?

celluloid

Still no date? That's pretty wild. Every single post about TBA on Disney's social media has been met with "that's nice, can we get an opening date though?"

Seems silly to keep releasing non-info updates without actually addressing what people want to know.

They are building up more care for this thing.

It was tracking very low months ago compared to its investment.

tanc

Can they just announce a release date instead of spoil everything with the ride before it's available? I mean yeah I get they want people to be impressed but I definitely feel like it diminishes the wow factor when they spoil everything.

MerlinTheGoat

All but confirms we’re getting shrunk down.

Why else would they be … big?
Well, technically bears could be considered pretty big. Louis as well if they're counting him.

Should also be noted that Alicia Stella apparently doesn't think we're going to shrink anymore. At least according to someone who listened to one of her newer podcasts.

mickEblu

Well, technically bears could be considered pretty big. Louis as well if they're counting him.

Should also be noted that Alicia Stella apparently doesn't think we're going to shrink anymore. At least according to someone who listened to one of her newer podcasts.

Every time I ask someone what podcast they heard that on they go radio silent.

mickEblu

Oh really? I know it was said to be paywalled, but I thought it was still linked on here. Huh...

I paid to get the past the wall. If she says that anywhere then it’s buried in a Universal podcast that doesn’t refer to Disney or Tiana in the subject. I skimmed through the Universal focused podcasts and didn’t hear anything. But if it’s something she only mentions for a few seconds it would be easy to miss.

ChewbaccaYourMum

I think it’s fair, based on some of their recent output, to be a bit concerned that there will be too much focus on an overspun narrative. They’ve leaned a little too hard into active storytelling lately.

That said, these short character biographies have nothing to do with that and shouldn’t be treated as if they do. We kind of just have to wait and see how the ride presents everything at this point.
Yeah but think of it this way.. is that really what Disney is doing? Or is the community we are all apart of here, full of passionate fans, taking every single detail they release about anything and scrutinizing it to oblivion when some of it is really not that serious?

Just something to think about in a different way.

Personally, I don't think most of anything they are doing now is much different than what they were always doing throughout their whole history. Like all the small details and backstories to the lands and rides within the parks, like Haunted Mansion and such. The difference is back then there wasn't an easy place you can go to online to connect with thousands upon thousands (maybe even millions???) of people and discuss every single thing the company told us or released for marketing their product.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom