News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

celluloid

It's just a banner. It's not that deep. In fact, the last attraction to debut in Magic kingdom was Tron!

Right. It is not that deep and the best attractions with and no longer with us have featured conflict or plenty of darker elements of psychological thrill or illusion of danger.

I was responding to "it is the magic kingdom" thought.

mickEblu

It’s amazing that after seeing it 500 times my eyes still can’t get used to the murals on the yellow barn. It’s jarring every single time. It reads to me like graffiti. I don’t even mind the art. It just doesn’t work on that structure. I’m not sure if it’s the shape of the structure, the fact that it’s a barn, the fact that it’s framed by the brown wood, if it clashes with the yellow or all the above.

When I see the graffiti art in Avengers Campus for example it doesn’t bother me because it doesn’t feel out of place or jarring in an urban setting.

Bayou

Right. It is not that deep and the best attractions with and no longer with us have featured conflict or plenty of darker elements of psychological thrill or illusion of danger.

I was responding to "it is the magic kingdom" thought.
Look, let's not dumb this down. Sure, some of Disney's attractions have delved into lighter themes, but that's not the be-all and end-all of what makes a ride successful.

I'm not saying darker themes don't have their place, but don't act like every ride needs to be some brooding, angst-filled experience to be worthwhile. Tiana's Bayou Adventure can be just as delightful and enchanting without diving into the depths of darkness. And guess what? That's okay.

And as for Magic Kingdom's supposed lack of variety, give me a break. The park's got many "dark" attractions that you listed for us all to see.

At the end of the day, it's all about good storytelling. Whether it's light or dark, what matters is how well the ride captures your imagination and takes you on a journey. So quit with the oversimplified judgments.

celluloid

Look, let's not dumb this down. Sure, some of Disney's attractions have delved into lighter themes, but that's not the be-all and end-all of what makes a ride successful.

I'm not saying darker themes don't have their place, but don't act like every ride needs to be some brooding, angst-filled experience to be worthwhile. Tiana's Bayou Adventure can be just as delightful and enchanting without diving into the depths of darkness. And guess what? That's okay.

And as for Magic Kingdom's supposed lack of variety, give me a break. The park's got many "dark" attractions that you listed for us all to see.

At the end of the day, it's all about good storytelling. Whether it's light or dark, what matters is how well the ride captures your imagination and takes you on a journey. So quit with the oversimplified judgments.

Firstly, someone should have said that kind of thing more often internally about a lot of projects.

Secondly. Not sure how well you read my list because half of the list I posted are examples are all gone and other things have been removed or dumbed down.

Bad argument you got there.

Not every attraction needs conflict, but the dynamic of Splash Mountain would certainly beg for one as it is a thrill ride of The Magic Kingdom with visible daring drops.

Angst filled? That word is not even appropriate here.

In the Parks
No
Firstly, someone should have said that kind of thing more often internally about a lot of projects.

Secondly. Not sure how well you read my list because half of the list I posted are examples are all gone and other things have been removed or dumbed down.

Not every attraction needs conflict, but the dynamic of Splash Mountain would certainly beg for one as it is a thrill ride of The Magic Kingdom with visible daring drops.

I think Tony Baxter spoke about this well on that podcast where he mentioned the storyline fitting the track. There's an exposition, a looming danger, a magnificent thrill, and a celebratory release. Tiana's is just "look around the bayou, isn't it wonderful and tasty and cute and relevant!"

celluloid

I think Tony Baxter spoke about this well on that podcast where he mentioned the storyline fitting the track. There's an exposition, a looming danger, a magnificent thrill, and a celebratory release. Tiana's is just "look around the bayou, isn't it wonderful and tasty and cute and relevant!"

You viscerally went on the adventure with the character.
The entire thing was staged that way.
Frozen has a bit of this problem too compared to how the ride was designed for Maelstrom. Luckily for it it only had one actual drop to give a random reason to flume down and reverse portion and outdoor opening was patched up to take away the suspensful kinetic energy inside and out (a real bummer to me on that one)

So far, this attraction labeled adventure in the title, but is kind of a show don't tell problem. Seems rather presentational and we can't viscerally feel the quest for food and friends. I would love to be proven wrong.

Bayou

Implying that thrill rides require dark themes or conflict is a stretch. Tiana's Bayou Adventure will indeed involve some conflict, albeit of a lighter nature. The "dynamic" of Splash Mountain is and can be reworked because it is being RETHEMED. The overall tone of the attraction is shifting, and that's not a bad thing. A "darker tone" isn't necessarily better or worse than a "lighter tone". With that being said, I believe that Magic Kingdom offers a sufficient lineup of attractions with darker tone, although I will admit we have seen a shying away from it.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Based on what?

Have you ridden the ride?

mergatroid

Magic Kingdom has always not been afraid to have the darker edge.

Pirates of the Caribbean was an intense dark theme and flume thrill ride for its time.
Haunted Mansion, while ghastly had plenty of macabre, particularly for the era and the scale.
Jungle Cruise even has the darkness of a temple with giant spiders and animal predators staring at you.
Splash Mountain had eyes and vultures, all in animated film fashion but the tone was there.
20K had a giant squid attack.
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Snow White's Adventures(scary adventures version too)
Space Mountain with complete coaster thrill in darkness and light effects to make it even more psychologically intense.
Thunder Mountain, Ancient burial ground, earthquakes, angered spirits and bats in the darkness.
Alien Encounter.
Tiki Room Thunderstorm
Faces in Tom Sawyer's Caverns
Frontierland Shooting Arcade's Boothill and ghost rider in the sky fly by.

This is all The Magic Kingdom. These mentioned were all on list of greats.

Iger's Magic Kingdom is fine thinking it should all become entirely what people thought it was when they asked you "Isn't Disney just for kids?" u long ago why you were going to The Magic Kingdom. A self-parody.
Wow, I never knew there were so many things with a 'darker edge' in the MK. That being the case (even though a good number on your list are a stretch), it's about time that Disney made an E ticket for the kids. Without your list of 'darker edge things' this wouldn't have made the defence :rolleyes:

On a more serious note I don't much like the banner as it is. However it wouldn't be hard to remove or replace it if guest feedback isn't fond of it so it wouldn't have to stay. I get they're trying to make it look like it's been created in a cheap way to fit the storyline, personally I'd have preferred a hand painted wooden sign like Splash used to have near the beginning. Perhaps they were worried by doing it that way that people would think it too similar to Splash so went with the banner option instead 🤔

mergatroid

He actually makes a good argument for a ride for the kids :D

Tha Realest

Speaking of little kids, is the big drop speed adjustable to slow out down a little to make "more approachable"? I hope it stays the same but in light of conversations questioning whether the drop is made to look smaller than it is, I'm just curious.
Speaking as an adult with the outsized fear of SM’s drop, and someone who was unable to conquer it until recently, I’d just as soon prefer it be over as soon as possible and not slowed down.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
Well when this sign vanishes in the next couple of days we'll know who to blame.
Screenshot_20240406_074932_Facebook.jpg

Incomudro

Yes, but the film had darkness.
A "scary" aspect, and resolution is central to what made the film so enjoyable.

G&CsMom

RE pp comment on TBA opening before TT goes down for the big redo, I think this is a valid point. RnR is still down for refurb and I haven't read any rumors of its reopening date. I can't imagine going on vacation this summer and having 3 headliners unavailable. I think it will be open to the general parkgoers, having already completed previews and media invites, before TT goes down.

The alternative being RnR opens before TT goes down...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom