Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

DavidDL

While not entirely related to Splash (yet), I was happy to see Tiana and her dad as the 2021 Father’s Day Pin when we were there for Father’s Day weekend.

36988ABA-2111-4FC2-9127-B5381EA1E177.jpeg

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
No, it’s not, because that’s not how it happened. This country has a history of re-writing history and trying to sugarcoat things already. Nothing should be sugarcoated, let alone slavery/the Reconstruction Era, both of which were arguably two of the worst times in history for African Americans. To paint it as rosy and sweet is disrespectful to the millions of African Americans who spent their lives in servitude, separated from their families, without their culture, and living in fear of rape, the crack of the whip, or a noose hanging from an oak tree that was awaiting them, among a list of other horrific and barbaric things, post-slavery included.

THAT’S more of what it was like. Tell it like it is. This is one of the reasons why we as a country have yet to make another round of significant change in terms of racial relations and social progress with African Americans and even Native Americans. The United States has yet to officially and formally acknowledge and fully admit to the list of wrongdoings against either group. We won’t own up to it. I admire Germany for publicly acknowledging their role in the Holocaust and using a large platform to admit that they were absolutely wrong for allowing something like that to happen. They’ve just recently made a public apology to Namibia and acknowledged that they put them through a genocide, which they absolutely did over 100 years ago when they slaughtered thousands of Namibians.

The U.S. needs to do something similar, but they probably won’t because they love to pretend like things didn’t happen and continue to fail to properly educate its citizens on various moments in history.

That was an excellent explanation and take.

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it. This is why I believe cancel culture is cancer. Removing Splash does nothing but irritate fans of the critter country get-together.

BasiltheBatLord

THAT’S more of what it was like. Tell it like it is. This is one of the reasons why we as a country have yet to make another round of significant change in terms of racial relations and social progress with African Americans and even Native Americans. The United States has yet to officially and formally acknowledge and fully admit to the list of wrongdoings against either group. We won’t own up to it. I admire Germany for publicly acknowledging their role in the Holocaust and using a large platform to admit that they were absolutely wrong for allowing something like that to happen. They’ve just recently made a public apology to Namibia and acknowledged that they put them through a genocide, which they absolutely did over 100 years ago when they slaughtered thousands of Namibians.
You're right. The U.S. should acknowledge that slavery was bad! No one's ever thought of that one before.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
You're right. The U.S. should acknowledge that slavery was bad! No one's ever thought of that one before.
I was going to come back with a more “full” response, but if the now extinct politics sub-forum taught me anything, it was to not respond to these types of posts. Not in the mood to waste my time and energy like that.

Have a good evening.

George Lucas on a Bench

I've clearly been misinformed my entire life having known that the Antebellum period and Civil War in the American south were the darkest period in this nation's history. It's all been sugarcoated, you see! Whitewashed, I tell ya! Fake News!

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
That was an excellent explanation and take.

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it. This is why I believe cancel culture is cancer. Removing Splash does nothing but irritate fans of the critter country get-together.
I don’t believe cancel culture is a thing, but I agree about your history comment.

Trying to explain what I said to certain groups (I’m sure you know of these groups I’m speaking of) of people is like talking to a wall. Pretty much pointless.

Let’s hope those Critical Race Theory courses get scheduled soon!😁

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Let's be fair here, it's not that some of us don't understand or are trying to be rude, it's that we blatantly reject your philosophy and believe it's founded on false premises, making it impossible to have a proper debate. An equivalent would be if there was a debate between an atheist and a Christian about the nature of God. If one member of the debate does not believe in God, it is an impossible to debate who God is. It would first be necessary to debate the premises or for one member to concede their premise. It's not too dissimilar in this situation. You hold closer to a notion, at least from what I can tell, that the US has inherent evils that it has not made up for and therefore we must atone as a nation, while the opposite positions holds that the US had inherent evils that it did make up for and therefore does not need to atone as a nation. We are debating the conclusion but ignoring the premises, if you can understand.

If we wanted to debate the premise of whether or not the US has made up for its past sins, we can do so, but there is little purpose given that lengthy letters on a theme park forum will not sway anybody's opinion. You are going to continue to think the US has not done enough, if anything at all, to make up for its treatment of African-Americans due to your own personal situation, upbringing, and biases, and likewise I will hold the opposite belief due to mine. Like I said, we could debate it on here, but it would go nowhere and would only anger ourselves and everybody around us, so what good would it do? At the end of the day, it's best to just focus on what will become of Splash Mountain and whether or not its replacement will be one of quality (which I think we can find common ground on that it will not be due to the overwhelming failures of WDI in the past few years) and allow those who wish to mourn to mourn in whatever way eases them best.

Also, not to really get into it, but I'm not sure what you mean that cancel culture isn't a thing considering we're on a thread discussing a theme park ride that's been canceled after being deemed "problematic." Isn't Splash Mountain's scheduled replacement evidence of cancel culture as a real thing, and if not, why not?
No, I am being fair. I can tell by the responses that folks mocking my statement truly don't understand it. It's not a "philosophy" at all. I'm not trying to sway opinions. Again, not going to waste my time and energy on this further with people who intend to mock. I got enough of that for months with the lovely folks over in the previous political sub-forum.

People speak of "cancel culture" as if it's a current thing, when it's not. People have spoken out against things they don't approve of and have been trying to silence others since the beginning of time. Nothing new here.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I don’t believe cancel culture is a thing, but I agree about your history comment.

Trying to explain what I said to certain groups (I’m sure you know of these groups I’m speaking of) of people is like talking to a wall. Pretty much pointless.

Let’s hope those Critical Race Theory courses get scheduled soon!😁

Respectfully, I believe cancel culture is an unfortunate part of our lives. Twitter mobs and mainstream media will all have you believe Splash Mountain is the R word, when in reality it tells a premise of a rabbit who wants to leave home. The characters are based on Songs of the South (which I haven't seen, as I'd be willing to bet a mass majority of people haven't either), yet it has only become a mainstream problem since 2020. The firing and hypocrisy on Disney's part regarding Gina Carano and Johnny Depp is a conversation for another day, but all serve as living proof.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Respectfully, I believe cancel culture is an unfortunate part of our lives. Twitter mobs and mainstream media will all have you believe Splash Mountain is the R word, when in reality it tells a premise of a rabbit who wants to leave home. The characters are based on Songs of the South (which I haven't seen, as I'd be willing to bet a mass majority of people haven't either), yet it has only become a mainstream problem since 2020. The firing and hypocrisy on Disney's part regarding Gina Carano and Johnny Depp is a conversation for another day, but all serve as living proof.
Miss Carano brought her Disney demise on herself. She was told to stop her antics and she didn't.

I understand what you're saying to an extent. It only seems like "cancel culture" is this new phenomenon where people are getting "cancelled" because of, as you stated, technology, and the speed at which we can now retrieve information. People and things have been getting "cancelled" (that's the current term we use, but there are others) since forever. This is nothing new. Song of the South was first "cancelled" in 1946 and has been "cancelled" dozens of times since.

Song of the South has been a mainstream problem since 1946.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Miss Carano brought her Disney demise on herself. She was told to stop her antics and she didn't.

I understand what you're saying to an extent. It only seems like "cancel culture" is this new thing where people are getting "cancelled" because of, as you stated, technology, and the speed at which we can now retrieve information. People and things have been getting "cancelled" (that's the current term we use, but there are others) since forever. This is nothing new. Song of the South was first "cancelled" in 1946 and has been "cancelled" dozens of times since.

Song of the South has been a mainstream problem since 1946.
Um no. that is not what happened with Gina. Listen to her yourself before you pass judgement:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
If they do not understand, I would suggest displaying your points more clearly and in a way that can be understand. If people continue to disagree and mock your statements, consider perhaps they do understand and simply see your point of view as silly and frivolous. Then you can ask from them why they feel that way, and a dialogue can take place, rather than a debate.

Certainly, but I think you would agree that the existence of social media has amplified this bad characteristic of men. Trying to suppress and silence opposition is a cowardly tactic that was used by Nazis in Germany under Hitler, Communists in the Soviet Union under Lenin and Stalin, and by the Cultural Revolutionaries in China under Mao Zedong. To quote Heinrich Heine, "Wherever they burn books, in the end will also burn human beings." Even if these metaphorical books be Splash Mountain or Gina Carano's tweets, obliterating different cultures and beliefs from the public sphere is dangerous.

It is acceptable to disagree with one another and to be offended by certain things (there are certain things that are truly offensive, such as slavery or genocide), but to silence rather than to understand, no matter how offensive one's views may be, is a wicked deed that does nobody any good except for the oppressing class who will inevitably eat their own, just as see in those three examples above.
I'm not going to waste my time with people who have no intentions on listening. The same people who've been mocking me have shown me multiple times that listening is not an option for them. To those who don't mock and find the mocking posts humorous, and there are those here who don't, then sure, I'm always happy to explain things further with them. Of course I know some people see my views as silly and frivolous. The feeling is mutual.

I would not agree that social media has amplified it. I believe it only seems that way because social media allows bigger platforms for information to be spread at a quicker rate.

I don't disagree that sometimes trying to silence people is bad (some people need to be silenced). I didn't comment on free speech, only that people attempting silence others is as old as time.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Isn't that what amplify means? 🤔

Not sometimes, always. Even the most wicked of men have reasons for their beliefs and they ought to be heard and challenged publicly. If their ideas are truly and completely evil, then their ideas should be easy to defeat in the public sphere. No doubt you are familiar with the "riots are the voice of the unheard," quote by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Do you think that only applies to good men who have good thoughts who are not free to share them, or do you think it likewise applies to evil men with evil thoughts who are not free to share them? Of course it applies to both. If you strip a man of his tongue, his only voice left is in his hands. I do not know about you, but I would much rather hear the most offensive and vile belief so I may challenge it than be found helpless at the barrel of a rifle because I dismissed and refused to listen to a man's cries.
It's not amplified, it only seems that way. That's what I'm saying.

No, sometimes. Again, some people need to be silenced, especially when the circumstances are dangerous for other people.

Why do you assume I'm familiar with that King quote?

CaptinEO

No, I am being fair. I can tell by the responses that folks mocking my statement truly don't understand it. It's not a "philosophy" at all. I'm not trying to sway opinions. Again, not going to waste my time and energy on this further with people who intend to mock. I got enough of that for months with the lovely folks over in the previous political sub-forum.

People speak of "cancel culture" as if it's a current thing, when it's not. People have spoken out against things they don't approve of and have been trying to silence others since the beginning of time. Nothing new here.
Youre not wrong. Before we had twitter or the internet you had angry soccer moms trying to ban violent tv shows and video games. It is not a new concept.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Youre not wrong. Before we had twitter or the internet you had angry soccer moms trying to ban violent tv shows and video games. It is not a new concept.
Exactly. People naturally love to voice their concerns about something they disagree with and try to monitor what people can and can't say and/or do. If anything, there has arguably never been a better time for free speech and expressing oneself. Free speech has historically been much more limited.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom