Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I don't see how Pooh doesn't fit in Fantasyland, he's a storybook character who's distinctly European like most of Fantasyland. It makes more sense to me than Pooh being in a Frontierland-like American forest or whatever it'll be post-PATF.
The story is European but it doesn’t match the Bavarian/circus theme of Fantasyland. It would stick out to me at least.

waltography

The story is European but it doesn’t match the Bavarian/circus theme of Fantasyland. It would stick out to me at least.
This is why I think the Fantasyland Theatre plot is a good spot for Pooh - it's already along Small World Mall which is squarely Fantasyland but doesn't need the European village styled architecture. It's also a good attraction to bridge Fantasyland and Toontown.

Practical Pig

Disneyland doesn’t need anymore Star Wars. Pooh wouldn’t make sense in Fantasyland.
I completely agree with your first sentence, assuming improving evolution of the existing SW installations is a desirable goal. But Pooh is a complete fantasy construction. No he doesn't fit the Bavarian core of Fantasyland architecture, but Pan, Alice, Toad, and Pinocchio don't even slightly fit either. Fantasy is a very broad theme and I think the Bavarian core of the land is a heartfelt launching point to explore.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I completely agree with your first sentence, assuming improving evolution of the existing SW installations is a desirable goal. But Pooh is a complete fantasy construction. No he doesn't fit the Bavarian core of Fantasyland architecture, but Pan, Alice, Toad, and Pinocchio don't even slightly fit either. Fantasy is a very broad theme and I think the Bavarian core of the land is a heartfelt launching point to explore.
When I say "Bavarian theme," I'm referring to the facades and buildings of the attractions. With the exception of Alice's unique ride building, the rest of the dark rides have similar Bavarian-like "homes" that they all sit in. For me, it's not that Pooh as a story doesn't fit Fantasyland. It's that I can't see a similar Bavarian structure being built for that story. Such a structure clashes with Pooh and when I think of a structure design for Pooh, a Bavarian village home is one of the last things that come to mind. The cutesy wooden structure it has in Critter Country makes sense and matches the overall feel of both Critter Country and the film. When I think of seeing the same aesthetic in Fantasyland, it just doesn't work in my mind.

lazyboy97o

When I say "Bavarian theme," I'm referring to the facades and buildings of the attractions. With the exception of Alice's unique ride building, the rest of the dark rides have similar Bavarian-like "homes" that they all sit in. For me, it's not that Pooh as a story doesn't fit Fantasyland. It's that I can't see a similar Bavarian structure being built for that story. Such a structure clashes with Pooh and when I think of a structure design for Pooh, a Bavarian village home is one of the last things that come to mind. The cutesy wooden structure it has in Critter Country makes sense and matches the overall feel of both Critter Country and the film. When I think of seeing the same aesthetic in Fantasyland, it just doesn't work in my mind.
The architecture of central Fantasyland pulls from more than Bavaria. Toad Hall is very English and fits in fine. The bigger issues seems to be more that the stories, shorts, movies and shows aren’t associated with any built structures.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
The architecture of central Fantasyland pulls from more than Bavaria. Toad Hall is very English and fits in fine. The bigger issues seems to be more that the stories, shorts, movies and shows aren’t associated with any built structures.
This is true and this is something I’ve been saying for years. The stories don’t match, but it’s easy to forget that when the aesthetic looks similar.

Toad is English, yes, but it still works with its neighbors.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
This is why I think the Fantasyland Theatre plot is a good spot for Pooh - it's already along Small World Mall which is squarely Fantasyland but doesn't need the European village styled architecture. It's also a good attraction to bridge Fantasyland and Toontown.
Maybe if it was settled there, I could possibly see it working. It’s very hard for me to imagine a Pooh attraction in the same neighborhood as Pan, Pinocchio, Snow, and Toad. If it was nestled into the trees, it could possibly work with the woodsy aesthetic.

CaptinEO

Disneyland doesn’t need anymore Star Wars. Pooh wouldn’t make sense in Fantasyland.
It's weird to me because I love Star Wars (the first 3 films as well as the video games) and should be the ultimate target audience as I also love themeparks.

Rise of the Resistance is awesome but it doesn't even feel like Star Wars to me, same goes for the land. They are somehow missing the heart of Star Wars, yet Star Tours captured it perfectly.

I wish Disney just kept Star Tours and didn't bother with this whole "Galaxy's Edge" thing.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
It's weird to me because I love Star Wars (the first 3 films as well as the video games) and should be the ultimate target audience as I also love themeparks.

Rise of the Resistance is awesome but it doesn't even feel like Star Wars to me, same goes for the land. They are somehow missing the heart of Star Wars, yet Star Tours captured it perfectly.

I wish Disney just kept Star Tours and didn't bother with this whole "Galaxy's Edge" thing.
I would love nothing more than to have SW:GE vanish into thin air with no trace of it left. I want it gone.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I can understand why Pooh is a somewhat awkward fit for Fantasyland, but Pooh never made much sense next door to Splash Mountain and certainly won't make any sense next to Tiana. Assuming Disney incorporates PatF into New Orleans Square (it would be bizarre if they didn't, right?), Pooh and Critter Country will soon face an existential crisis.

I also think that if the Pooh dark ride were to replace the Fantasyland Theatre (again, this is pure fantasy/daydream... I'm quite confident this will never happen), the attraction would be set somewhat apart from the rest of Fantasyland, and thematically wouldn't encroach upon the sensibility of the other facades.

image.jpeg

J4546

shoot, could they use the pooh area for a new theater and then build a fantasy land expansion where the old one was? I mean, you could build a huge theater back there in its own private area and have easy backstage access for crew. i could see critter country completely gone soon after Splash gets rethemed. DL could use that area for star wars or something all new, theres enough area back there for a lot. I could also see them getting rid of the hungry bear food and redoing that as a new train station and then using the area where the new orleans train station is now, for a major new ride or experience. That area behind the current train station in new orleans is big enough for a massive ride. like indiana jones level big. and that would be pretty cool

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

I feel like I read somewhere Pinocchio was considered to be a Pooh ride at one point.
I don't know about it being in the Fantasyland courtyard (I've heard that there was a pitch of a Herbie the Love Bug dark ride), but they were definitely strongly considering a Pooh ride in Toontown.

In a perfect world (IMO), the Pooh ride would've replaced the Skyway chalet and the showbuilding in the Star Wars space with the facade being Christopher Robin's cottage in the woods.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Galaxy's Edge is going to be part of Disneyland for decades. I'm not happy about it either. But IMO the only option at this point is to expand/improve upon what Imagineering has already built. Add more kinetic energy, make the natural environment more exotic and captivating, etc.

If, hypothetically, the future of Pooh/Critter Country is uncertain, they could do a lot worse than to add a minor attraction (a small AA-based boat ride a la Na'vi River Journey?) to the pitifully underdeveloped Resistance Forest. I'm of course fantasizing here; I'm not sure Imagineering knows how to build small-scale attractions anymore.

Sharon&Susan

Galaxy's Edge is going to be part of Disneyland for decades. I'm not happy about it either. But IMO the only option at this point is to expand/improve upon what Imagineering has already built. Add more kinetic energy, make the natural environment more exotic and captivating, etc.

If, hypothetically, the future of Pooh/Critter Country is uncertain, they could do a lot worse than to add a minor attraction (a small AA-based boat ride a la Na'vi River Journey?) to the pitifully underdeveloped Resistance Forest. I'm of course fantasizing here; I'm not sure Imagineering knows how to build small-scale attractions anymore.
Should've specified that I meant in a pre-Lucasfilm buyout world, where Disney would've had to build around a Pooh ride when they eventually got to building GE (because a Pooh darkride would still leave plenty of space for it). Obviously Galaxy's Edge isn't going away any time soon.

Some type of Jedi or Sith dark ride would be neat, especially with how under represented they are in GE.

J4546

maybe theyll use the space for some kind of jedi training thingy that uses magic bands? Imagine if they had new magic bands with lcd screens that could sense hand movement, and they used them to create interactive experiences all over the parks starting in GE. For example, theres a spot you stand in in this case in front of an xwing, the band recognizes where you are and pulses or something, and displays what hand motions to do, in this case flip palms up and raise hand, and now suddenly your making a massive xwing lift off the ground like your using the force.....you could trigger practical effects, lighting, sounds, wind....so many uses for it all over the parks. right now GE doesnt have the force....GE not having the force in it is like if USH built harry potter land with no magic.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Should've specified that I meant in a pre-Lucasfilm buyout world, where Disney would've had to build around a Pooh ride when they eventually got to building GE (because a Pooh darkride would still leave plenty of space for it). Obviously Galaxy's Edge isn't going away any time soon.

Some type of Jedi or Sith dark ride would be neat, especially with how under represented they are in GE.

Sure, I hear you. I was simply responding to the anti-GE sentiment being expressed in general.

GE leaves a lot of Star Wars territory unexplored. I'd add kooky alien creatures to that list. Surely the Imagineers are capable of putting aside all the unnecessary tech and misguided interactivity and just building a charming little dark ride on the Pooh plot that foregrounds Jedis and the Force and aliens and John Williams' score... right?

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

shoot, could they use the pooh area for a new theater and then build a fantasy land expansion where the old one was? I mean, you could build a huge theater back there in its own private area and have easy backstage access for crew.

I've never thought of building a theater over there. That's a very interesting idea.

SuddenStorm

Watching this ride through of Splash that was posted (looks like just about every animatronic is back in place, and most are working. Figures that haven't moved properly in years are moving. Lighting looks good also). It also looks like they've reconfigured/fixed the lighting on the vultures, which has a much more pronounced strobe effect now when compared to 2015. The strobe effect was completely absent around 2018 and I don't recall seeing it in 2019 either.

And here's the same spot in 2018 for comparison-

I'm absolutely delighted it looks like Disney tried to keep the ride presentable. It's the best the ride has looked in years.

BasiltheBatLord

Watching this ride through of Splash that was posted (looks like just about every animatronic is back in place, and most are working. Figures that haven't moved properly in years are moving. Lighting looks good also). It also looks like they've reconfigured/fixed the lighting on the vultures, which has a much more pronounced strobe effect now when compared to 2015. The strobe effect was completely absent around 2018 and I don't recall seeing it in 2019 either.

And here's the same spot in 2018 for comparison-

I'm absolutely delighted it looks like Disney tried to keep the ride presentable. It's the best the ride has looked in years.

I dunno I spotted a lot of broken stuff in that vid still. Above all the lighting is still completely jacked. I imagine they've given up on it. I did see a couple figures moving more than I've ever seen before though, so that's nice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom