Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Ghost93

As I read this Zip debate, I can't help but wonder if this is somewhat generational. For every song that brings back childhood Disney nostalgia for me (and is "quintessential Disney" to me), there is another, newer song that does that for my child.

To frame it another way: Are there "quintessential Disney" songs that USED to be played in the parks that are no longer played? Have we already lost quintessential Disney songs that just disappeared and we didn't notice? Without the internet for people to publicly complain about these things, a lot has changed over the years while very few noticed.
For decades, up through the 90s, Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah was almost tied with "When You Wish Upon A Star" as Disney's anthem. It was that iconic. So I can understand why older Disney fans have difficulty comprehending its disappearance.

That being said, even before 2020, I think the song was gradually being played less and less during Bob Iger's time as CEO. The song was still being played, but it wasn't as ubiquitous as it once was.

I think the Ballad of Davy Crockett song was a "quintessential Disney" song that used to be played all the time that is no longer played. Davy Crockett was extremely popular with Baby Boomers but has been all but forgotten by subsequent generations.

SuddenStorm

Zip was used in like every attraction opening I believe. Space Mountain before Splash Mountain.

The Disneyland Band also played it.

Here's a good site that has a lot of the music used in Disneyland- Zip appears quite often.

It's been part of the Main Gate entrance loop since 1975.

It's also often been used as background music in various shops- like the Disney Gallery. The Fantasyland Band Organ has had it as a song since at least 2005.

King Arthur's Carousel had it as part of its loop until they took it out a couple years ago- but I can't find when it was added to the loop.

Not to mention it's usage in almost every major Fireworks show, and in various parades- like Paint the Night.

Ghost93

The Disneyland Band also played it.

Here's a good site that has a lot of the music used in Disneyland- Zip appears quite often.

It's been part of the Main Gate entrance loop since 1975.

It's also often been used as background music in various shops- like the Disney Gallery. The Fantasyland Band Organ has had it as a song since at least 2005.

King Arthur's Carousel had it as part of its loop until they took it out a couple years ago- but I can't find when it was added to the loop.

Not to mention it's usage in almost every major Fireworks show, and in various parades- like Paint the Night.
It was also featured in numerous Disney compilation CDs. It was also featured in THREE of the Disney Sing Along Songs VHS tapes — the original Song of the South version in "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" (1986), the Splash Mountain rap version in the Disneyland Fun tape, and another version in the live-action Pongo and Perdita Sing Along Songs tape.

Julie Andrews sung both "When You Wish Upon A Star" and "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" during the grand opening of Walt Disney World as seen in this clip:

Midwest Elitist

It was also featured in numerous Disney compilation CDs. It was also featured in THREE of the Disney Sing Along Songs VHS tapes — the original Song of the South version in "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" (1986), the Splash Mountain rap version in the Disneyland Fun tape, and another version in the live-action Pongo and Perdita Sing Along Songs tape.

Julie Andrews sung both "When You Wish Upon A Star" and "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" during the grand opening of Walt Disney World as seen in this clip:

It's such a magical song, that I think losing it chips away some of the magic of Disney as a whole. Not a lot, but a small part that matters.

PiratesMansion

Is it a song that has become inextricably tied to Disney over the years? Yes.
Is it a song that I have enjoyed and will be mildly sad that it just won't be a thing anymore? Yes.
Do I understand why they're removing it? Yes.

At the end of the day, it's just a song. Most people won't notice or care, and for them it's a minor change. Additionally, this has been a change that's been ongoing for over a year, so I'm not entirely sure why people are acting as if this is a brand new thing.

Rich T

Zip is a classic song. There are a zillion recordings of it for everyone to enjoy. And once it becomes public domain, I suspect it’ll be everywhere.

In the meantime, though, it’s probably best it retires from the parks for awhile. Victim of circumstance.

Thinking back on great tunes that used to be in the entry music loop:

Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf
Col. Hathi’s March (A personal favorite. Used to be an awesome “deep cut” in the playlist)
Hi to You (from Mickey Mouse Club)

The Jungle Book songs, in general, don’t get played nearly as much as in previous years. Bare Necessities used to be the park’s go-to “Modern Song” up until Little Mermaid happened.

I’m very happy that a few great old non-hit animation classic pieces like “March of the Cards” and “Loading the Train/Casey Jr.” still pop up here and there.

Brer Oswald

Listening to recent music loops, I think “Hi-Diddle-Dee-Dee” is a nice bench-warmer-promoted-to-game-opener replacement for the ultra-happy sound of Zip. Plus, for fans, it’s got that added ironic twist of actually being a villain song. 😃
Zip is basically my favourite Disney Song. But if I had to pick a second…it would probably be HDYD. BUT, if I had to pick one that wasn’t from Splash, it would be Hi Diddle Dee Dee! Love that song (and that movie).

Rich T

Zip is basically my favourite Disney Song. But if I had to pick a second…it would probably be HDYD. BUT, if I had to pick one that wasn’t from Splash, it would be Hi Diddle Dee Dee! Love that song (and that movie).
I swear, HDYD, still gets stuck in my head like no other song on Earth. I find myself whistling it randomly even when my mind is miles away from anything related to theme parks or movies. 😄

Brer Oswald

I swear, HDYD, still gets stuck in my head like no other song on Earth. I find myself whistling it randomly even when my mind is miles away from anything related to theme parks or movies. 😄
It’s so great. I think it’s part of what got me hooked on the ride in the first place. Thankful that even after the ride’s closure, there are so many versions of it that can be listened to digitally!

Rich T

After how people catalogued the dozens and dozens of places Zip was played, you suggest that BoG is overplayed?

🧐
:p
This is totally subjective, but yeah. Probably because Zip stands on its own as a song/instrumental, since relatively few people have seen SotS or think much about that clip from the film.

It’s hard to listen to “Be Our Guest” without thinking of a french candelabra shoving grey stuff in one’s face. And its structure—starting slowly and building to a raucous climax, limits its versatility a bit.

It’s designed to sound heavily, stereotypically French… another limitation.

And when it’s detached from its source material, it sounds a lot like a self-aware, overly confident travel ad.

It’s a great fireworks high-point-but-not-the-finale song. 😃

Ghost93

This is totally subjective, but yeah. Probably because Zip stands on its own as a song/instrumental, since relatively few people have seen SotS or think much about that clip from the film.

It’s hard to listen to “Be Our Guest” without thinking of a french candelabra shoving grey stuff in one’s face. And its structure—starting slowly and building to a raucous climax, limits its versatility a bit.

It’s designed to sound heavily, stereotypically French… another limitation.

And when it’s detached from its source material, it sounds a lot like a self-aware, overly confident travel ad.

It’s a great fireworks high-point-but-not-the-finale song. 😃
I think "Be Our Guest" works as a Disney anthem with some slight lyric tweaks as we are a guest to Disney World/Disneyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom