Three Trips in One Year...Insane?

WDW John

Right on

Others spend weeks just sitting on a beach each year for vacation and spend similar money.

You're not insane - other people just haven't spent the time analyzing their own behavior.

This is a great point.

Living in Massachusetts many people go to Cape Cod for the week. Those same people question going to WDW all the time. My sister used to give me and my wife a little bit of a hard time each time we said we were going to WDW again. Her in-laws own a house on Kiawah Island that she goes to all the time. Sometimes she goes with just her family, sometimes it's with the in-laws and family, other times it is just her and her friends on a "girl trip". She makes the trip at least 3 or 4 times a year. Not once have I heard her make any comments to that being excessive.

When I finally pointed that out to her she dropped giving us a hard time. Her eyes were opened, so to speak. She said she had never really thought about it that way before. Now I use that method frequently.

I think part of the "problem" people have is the perceived expense in going to WDW. But, as you said, they don't consider their own behavior and the expense of their own vacations when making these types of remarks.

I'm jealous! Its not insane at all. I get the same heat from immediate family, but I've learned to let it roll off my back. Go and have a great time! What's the difference between a family who goes to their vacation house on the beach a few times a year and someone who takes a few annual trips to WDW? Its your vacation spot; that's all. Hope your trip is awesome.

rodserling27

Original Poster
First off taking your sister was awsome, Second going with a woman who sounds like it just maybe the one outstanding. Third and last, going with friends that you truly enjoy spending time with and almost free perfection. Life is short, if you can go to WDW three times in the year then go for it. I wish I could do that. I do not understand why people even care where you are going other than being happy for you for just getting away. My advise to you is go and have the time of your life and enjoy WDW. It has a lot to offer and the memories that you come back with are priceless, not to mention all parties invloved I bet will never forget these trips. Isn't that what really matters when the day ends.
Spot-on. I agree, especially with the part I put in Bold. The people I am going with consistantly tell me how much they've enjoyed previous trips with me/heard from others how much fun it is to go with me to WDW, simpyl because I'm so into it and apparently because of my "wealth of knowledge" (which is really nothing compared to some of us here on the forums :) ).
My first comment would be that you are asking the wrong people to judge you. I've never seen such a collection of Disney obsessed people in my life! (And I do include myself in that statement). Hell, these people have been going on for what, 20 pages arguing if Animal Kingdom is a half day park or not:hammer:
Next: "Three Trips in One Year...Insane?"
1) Will it cause you financial hardship?
2) Does it impact your ability to earn a living, or complete schoolwork, or whatever you do?
3) Does it cause a rash or other physical debilitating or cosmetic problems?
4) Do you really care what others think?
If you've answered no to these questions, I would guess you don't have a problem.
Are you insane? Well, I couldn't answer that question as it pertains to other issues aside from the question you've asked, so you might be, just not about this issue.:D

Hahahaha, I'm sort of preaching the choir here, I suppose, aren't I? Haha! I did in fact answer "no" to all of those questions! Good call!

I suppose it's just frustrating because people just will never "get" it. Whomever said something about sitting on the beach for hours...that's so true! I never thought of that, although I tell people "why do you go to the beach every year?" when they ask me why I go to WDW a lot.

Disney_Belle

We usually do 2 trips in a year, sometimes 3. I see nothing wrong with it. Some people just don't understand. While some people spend tons of money on clothes, shoes, video games, cars - I prefer to spend mine on WDW. It isn't for everyone, but if it makes you happy, I say visit to your heart (and wallet's) content :)

disneycraze

I don't see anything insane about going three times in a year. If that is where you enjoy going, then do it! I get the same reactions from co-workers and such when they here we are going to WDW yet again. I just laugh and don't let it bother me that they think DH and I are insane. I am the one going and having a blast! :sohappy:

i totally agree!!!!!!! i go 4 times a year because i enjoy it!!! and so what if i spend big $$$ its no big deal. disney is my home away from home and i live in new york so im not close 2 wdw. and im 15 and i have been 2 disney maybe 40 times and ive never been anywhere in my life on vacation but wdw and i want to keep it this way:)

Flight Safety

Some of my friends and family all seem to have a huge issue with my WDW obsession and such. Aside from always listening to audio I've collected from the parks, CDs, records, tapes, mp3s, etc., they all REALLY seem to take an issue with my frequenting WDW (particularly the Magic Kingdom). I've talked about it at legnth with some of you on here in the past. I don't really understand it, but they seem to be at the end of their rope with my current plans. Let me explain.

I went down there last June with my sister, and decided I had to go again, so I paid for she and I to go again in January. Stayed on-site, all that stuff, had a blast. Then I had always planned to go down for the 40th Anniversary in October, and I was going to go alone, but recently I've met the woman of my dreams and she and I decided to make an entire vacation out of it, (She's never been, so I'm pumped to show her the World of Disney!) so we have a trip ready to book for a week at the end of Sept/Beginning of October. Cool.

Then yesterday some very good friends of mine called me to inform me they were driving down to Florida from Pittsburgh and said they wanted me to go with them. Of course I can't pass up an opportunity to go, especially with these friends. They have some awesome deal with a time-share too, so we're staying practically for free, which is awesome (too bad it's not ON-property, but oh well).

All I hear from my immediate family (minus my sister) and my cousins and aunts etc is that "Wow, why do you have to go so much? Dont' go again." Some of my co-workers and friends too act as if I've personally harmed them in making plans to go to Disney World. I understand that it's not for everyone, and that for those who don't get it, never will. But the amount of hate really bothers me.

So I suppose I'm asking if you, my fellow Disney-obsessos, think I'm insane for going THREE TIMES in one calendar year, which is also four times in just over 15 months. I live in Philadelphia, so it's not like I'm anywhere close to Disney World, but I just don't understand why people have an issue with it. I'm not hurting anyone, it's my own darn money, and guess what? It's what makes me happy! What's the big deal!?

Has anyone been down to WDW multiple times within a year and caught heat for it from friends/family? How many times have you been in one year when coming from a long-distance?

:hammer: Well, I caught this one a little late but I must say that I too have the same problem. First of all, my family moved to SOFL from MD on vacation @ WDW when I was an infant. Since then, I have been visiting at least 2 weekends a month and I am now 26. There were plenty of times where I missed a trip or two but once I was old enough to go on my own after my parents seperating, etc. I continued my tradition and have also spent nearly every birthday, 4th of July, Christmas, and New Years on property. I currently live just over 2 hours from WDW property and usually make my trips in 2 night stays @ a value or moderate resort. If things went well during the year financially I will spend an extra 2 or 3 nights for my birthday and Christmas / New Years.

No matter who it is in my life, save for my Mom, Dad, Fiance, and Brother even come close to understanding and give me a lot of static and greif for frequenting too frequently. I have ridden every ride, seen every show, eaten at just about every restaruant, ridden every color monorail in the front, done most tours, and have stayed at every hotel countless times. It DOESNT ever get old. I grew up there, and it only gets better and better each time I visit.

I believe in doing what makes you happy in life. Otherwise what is the point? I work very hard to earn a living and spend it as I like. Most wouldnt ever understand my obsession with The Mouse, but in every point of my life the good and the very, very bad, The Mouse has been my friend.

Edit: P.S. This is not an exaggeration...

stacyc

Insane, really?? Never!! Since Aug. 2009, I've been 6 times to WDW, and I live in South TX. Everytime I go, I experience something new... a ride I've never ridden, a show I've never seen, a new restaurant, a new section of a park. In my opinion it's not insane, it's a different experience each time, especially if you go with different people each time. So hooray for you and the ones you love who have & will be going with you!! Just enjoy!!

Since1976

The way I see it, unless you are some sort of superman, you need at LEAST two vacations close together to comfortably see all of Walt Disney World (plus Universal).

They way it has worked out for our family, we have only been able to do 3 parks in a single trip without being totally wiped out -- which means we miss more than half of the theme park offerings in Orlando. On the next trip, we usually try to see the parks we skipped before.

Only when we have scheduled our trips closer together have we actually felt comfortable skipping this park or that park to go to the ones we missed. If we only went once every two years or so, we would probably hit the same three parks every time.

MDinMD

For me: 8 days in July 2010, 5 days in October 2010, 12 days in July 2011. look at it in terms of the savings, especially when you use an annual pass! Never enough!

rodserling27

Original Poster
For me: 8 days in July 2010, 5 days in October 2010, 12 days in July 2011. look at it in terms of the savings, especially when you use an annual pass! Never enough!

Oh my gosh, why did I never even think to get an annual pass!??! Dude...I'm a huge dope. I'm getting one right now!!

WorldKey

Not insane at all....I obviously speak for most of us who cannot get there as often - I'm jealous! The normal everyday drudgery of much of life needs to be countered with things that bring you some real enjoyment and WDW is certainly the place to provide it! Have fun!

Dwarful

Not insane! We have done this numerous times. We drive from Illinois...about 18 hours straight through in a mini-van w/children! We usually get the AP's and go three trips in a year. Summer, Winter, Spring Break. 7-10 days per trip...stay anywhere from values to deluxe depending on when we are going. Best bang for our buck this way.

Contrast

Not insane at all! If I had the money and lived in Florida, I'd be going at least 3 times too. People have different obsessions, in music, film, TV etc, it just so happens you love Disney World and there's nothing wrong with that. :)

CarlFredricksen

Like someone said earlier, you've asked the wrong crowd. Post this question on Yahoo! and see what kind of answers you get.

It's like showing up to a bar a few times each week, then asking those same people, 'We don't have a drinking problem, right?!?'

liloohana

Hi Rodserling27...I don't think you're insane at all!! I think your family seems highly judgemental and invasive!! My family also thinks we are a bit insane (after all...there is AN ENTIRE WORLD out there we could explore), but it's all about what brings your life joy and adventure!!
We have tried many different trips, and our hearts always lead us back to Disney. We are an on the go family, and Disney can fulfill all of our needs!! There is exploration, sport, entertainment, dining, beauty, beaches, water parks, shopping, imagination, and MAGIC!! Not only do you relive your memories as a child, but you give new memories to the people you share Disney with, and as you get older, you make new memories, as well as relive your children's memories.
We live right outside the Philadelphia area, as well, and we will be there three times this year (would love to make it four in December but the school may frown upon us taking our children out so many times in a year) AND we will be driving down each time!!
I often wonder why we keep going back. The lines have gotten longer, our children have grown older, and we've done almost everything.
I believe Disney embodies a dream of what an ideal world would create. A world where there is whimsy and charm, a world that can take you on exotic adventures, a world of learning and exploration, a world that's pristine and values civic responsibility, and a world that brings imagination to life....

Ok, I went off a little:zipit:....and became a little hokey.
I think you either just love Disney, or it's a stop in life.
I'm just glad there are so many other people out there that are just like us, and can't wait to go back.
Enjoy all your trips, rodserling27, and I wish you many more!!

the annual pass would have been a good idea:p

lbrad

Follow your <3 !!!
Life is way too short not to.
I love Disney World ... I often get flack for going so often BUT its my life & its what makes me happy :sohappy:

I SAY GO!!!

Have a great time :wave:

OurDailyGruel

Who wouldn't go if they could?

Granted, I would only go to Disney "for the children" just like putting up a Christmas tree and hunting down vintage Barbie kitchen sets (better, prettier and sturdier than current versions) is "for the children."

When I was dissecting a guide book on Los Angeles, I learned one important thing: that Disneyland is the best thing about LA and despite the cost of a single day entry, Disney delivers on creating intense happiness that a trip to LA's latest modern art museum or walking around the Santa Monica boardwalk just can't provide. Ultimately, I felt that a vacation in LA just wasn't compelling enough BUT it planted the seed that LA would be a nice place to live with kids because I would get an annual pass and take the kids in the early evening just for a walk around the park and I could really see us doing this as much as once a week (depending on traffic conditions).

The problem is that the best Disney resort is The World but it's planted in the middle of nowhere which means that the hotel prices shouldn't be this high and the heat and love bugs really are discouraging. If The World was in a better city, I'd seriously consider living there for a few years just "for the children." I'd really wear out those annual passes. Even if they got sick of Dumbo, there's so much to give kids that special spark that visiting the Liberty Bell or the Washington Monument just wouldn't do. I would say that The World has ruined me for all those places showcased by $40 a Day and Samantha Brown episodes. The only places that have survived the comparison to the World in terms of intensity of fun and worth the opportunity cost are Paris, France and Hong Kong, China.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom