Thoughts on Avatar after experiencing Cars Land

Prof Ecks

Didn't mean for this to go off the rails into a discussion of Cars Land and RSR specifically. I was thinking more about what it could tell us about Disney's intentions with Avatar. I guess the formula is also in effect in Wizarding World as well--retail, restaurant, in a single environment, with an e-ticket and a supporting attraction or two.

As for what should come to WDW in other parks, and in other themes, I do believe there are about 14,000 other threads on those topics!

I do think I'm hearing here that the immersive quality of the land IS an attraction, over and above whatever the specific IP is, and that's definitely something working in Avatar's favor.

Thanks Atomicmickey. I would also just like to add to your analysis that Avatar's Pandora I think moves the entire AK from a daytime to daytime/nighttime park which is another important aspect of the development for the overall AK visitor experience.

SirLink

The thing that made Cars Land that worked was that it had built in stores in the movie and easy to merchandise, Avatar had no pre existing stores in the film.

I also hope Disney aren't backing the wrong pony - expanding stores, pathways, etc. Apart from adding Pandora they are not building any additional rides.

twebber55

The thing that made Cars Land that worked was that it had built in stores in the movie and easy to merchandise, Avatar had no pre existing stores in the film.

I also hope Disney aren't backing the wrong pony - expanding stores, pathways, etc. Apart from adding Pandora they are not building any additional rides.
This should be a plus since we always complain about that all disney does is have shops to make money

SirLink

This should be a plus since we always complain about that all disney does is have shops to make money

Expanding stores full of generic merchandise is kinda a problem...but they will need merchandise to be sold for Avatar. The problem now exists that unlike the believable lands such as DA or Cars Land, shops were mentioned and showed in the films. I guess they could add stores in Avatar 2 and open Pandora after or near to the launch of the second film.

twebber55

Expanding stores full of generic merchandise is kinda a problem...but they will need merchandise to be sold for Avatar. The problem now exists that unlike the believable lands such as DA or Cars Land, shops were mentioned and showed in the films. I guess they could add stores in Avatar 2 and open Pandora after or near to the launch of the second film.
why do they need shops?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

But they are adding night safari which could almost be considered a new ride and the new nighttime show. If Pandora is done well these three things alone should help increase park attendance.

SirLink

But they are adding night safari which could almost be considered a new ride and the new nighttime show. If Pandora is done well these three things alone should help increase park attendance.

So 2.5 new rides = transform the park into a full day park? Which was the purpose of the nighttime safari and a nighttime show to transform the park into a full day park, which gets us nicely back to the OP thoughts on Cars Land. It has the same purpose of being transformed at night but unlike DAK - DCA was already a full day park.

SirLink

why do they need shops?

Well ... Fox is going to want a percentage somewhere ... we are hearing the restaurant may or may not have been cut ... so Fox is going to want some percentage made from the Avatar IP, whether that is ticket sales or merchandise - they'll want something. Which is why Avatar could work as a ride but not a land.

twebber55

So 2.5 new rides = transform the park into a full day park? Which was the purpose of the nighttime safari and a nighttime show to transform the park into a full day park, which gets us nicely back to the OP thoughts on Cars Land. It has the same purpose of being transformed at night but unlike DAK - DCA was already a full day park.
the park looks to be going form closing at 7 to closing at 9 or 10.....Pandora, night time show, plus night time safari does that

twebber55

Well ... Fox is going to want a percentage somewhere ... we are hearing the restaurant may or may not have been cut ... so Fox is going to want some percentage made from the Avatar IP, whether that is ticket sales or merchandise - they'll want something. Which is why Avatar could work as a ride but not a land.
to me it works much more so as a land than a single ride...experiencing the environment which is what the entire point was by the OP

danlb_2000

Premium Member

It does for me. Normally I would get to AK shortly after opening and stay until around 3:30 - 4:00 PM. If done right Avatar should add an hour or two to that, if Night Safari is a signifcantly different experience I might ride it twice. This would keep me in the park long enough for dinner and then stay for the night show.

twebber55

It does for me. Normally I would get to AK shortly after opening and stay until around 3:30 - 4:00 PM. If done right Avatar should add an hour or two to that, if Night Safari is a signifcantly different experience I might ride it twice. This would keep me in the park long enough for dinner and then stay for the night show.
and now you re eating dinner somewhere in the park which is another hour

SirLink

See I could see everything, bar the shows FOLK and Nemo, and be out at 1pm to 1.30pm. With the new additions I'll hit Pandora and possibly be out by 1.30pm and just cut Everest out of schedule. This park needed multiple new lands to improve its image and reduce the visitors that head to MK everyday.

SirLink

to me it works much more so as a land than a single ride...experiencing the environment which is what the entire point was by the OP

The shops in Cars Land along with everything else are essential due to the amount of neon that's used on the signage, otherwise we would have multiple buildings without a purpose...

andysol

See I could see everything, bar the shows FOLK and Nemo, and be out at 1pm to 1.30pm. With the new additions I'll hit Pandora and possibly be out by 1.30pm and just cut Everest out of schedule. This park needed multiple new lands to improve its image and reduce the visitors that head to MK everyday.
So it doesn't add time because you choose to cut stuff out? That's like saying if they added two E-tickets to MK it wouldn't add any time there. I just won't ride splash or thunder mtn.

A logical person would say "how much time does this new land add to what I already do". Not- "how can I do the new stuff and fit it in the same amount of time?"

twebber55

So it doesn't add time because you choose to cut stuff out? That's like saying if they added two E-tickets to MK it wouldn't add any time there. I just won't ride splash or thunder mtn.

A logical person would say "how much time does this new land add to what I already do". Not- "how can I do the new stuff and fit it in the same amount of time?"
agree
at absolute worse people will go later to see the park at night which helps at MK...

SirLink

Well the two shows in DAK that don't change are FOTLK and Nemo so why would I repeat those every trip? Out of the E-tickets in DAK, there is one with its centerpiece not working, why would I ride that when I could go to see Pandora stuff?

If MK got two new E-tickets I would stay longer... and either split my time between two days at MK. Even though DAK is the best looking park, it doesn't have the content to make me stay for a nighttime show or split my time between days which is the point.

JohnWD

Well the two shows in DAK that don't change are FOTLK and Nemo so why would I repeat those every trip? Out of the E-tickets in DAK, there is one with its centerpiece not working, why would I ride that when I could go to see Pandora stuff?

If MK got two new E-tickets I would stay longer... and either split my time between two days at MK. Even though DAK is the best looking park, it doesn't have the content to make me stay for a nighttime show or split my time between days which is the point.

"... why would I ..." You are YOU! Do what pleases you, and the rest of us will do what pleases us! I expect the additions at DAK will be well received, and will result in longer stays - even into the night time - for many of us.

SirLink

But you understand that our point is that it's not either/or, it's and. So like I said earlier- you're trying to fit it in your same window of time instead of adding to what you currently do- which I ride everest. It's fine that you do that, it's your day- whatever. But that doesn't mean avatar land, RoL, and nighttime Safari doesn't add significantly to a park For night-time.

Take your schedule. Today, you go until 1:30. Fine. in 2017, do exactly what you do now and leve at 1:30. Then come back at 4/5 and go to pandora. Have dinner. Do a nighttime safari. Watch RoL.
Full day park with break in day.

That's our point.

Nah needs more attractions, bro. To get me to stay in the park for that period between 1.30 and 10pm. That is my point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom