Those that have taken or will take babies under 1 yr of age

ErickainPA

We leave in 18 days with our (at that time) 7 month old son. We are debating bringing his infant car seat, he will be a lap baby on the plane, although there is always a chance there is a spare seat, but you have to lug it and take it through security (we have already traveled by plane when DS was 3 months old, we used the carseat frame stroller instead of the travel system, but we are taking his big stroller that came with the travel system so he can recline or sit up). I told hubby not sure we will need to bother with the seat, as in the parks he will be in his own stroller that reclines. He said well maybe for the buses.

So ? is have any of you used them on the DME and/or Disney transportation?

Thanks

duck_daddy

Probably be easier to pull a Britney Spears and just hold him in your lap!:ROFLOL:
In all seriousness, I don't know about DME, but the resort transportation bus system there won't be a place for a car seat!

Upvote 0

Gagesmom314

We are going in May with our son who will be 8 months and we aren't planning on taking his car seat. Too much hassel! I can't wait to hear how your trip is with a small child!

Upvote 0

DisneyChik17

Personally, I would not take the car seat. As has already been mentioned, there is no room on the busses. It will also be far to much to lug around the parks. I would go with the stroller. It will be more comfortable for the baby and more portable for you.

Upvote 0

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
As long as you aren't planning on getting into a car/vehicle (or taxi), I wouldn't worry about taking a carseat. Take a stroller.

You will have to hold your baby on the Disney Buses. You won't need a carseat for the bus.

Upvote 0

H20Babie

I have never taken a car seat for my son when he that small. It was easier to carry him and let him sit on my lap for Disney transportation.

Upvote 0
...but we are taking his big stroller that came with the travel system so he can recline or sit up).

Thanks

I am very interested in hearing what you think about using the "big travel system stroller." We will be taking our son in Sept who will be 14 months at the time and have debated about taking his "big" stroller vs getting a more compact one for the trip. I have seen people *wrestling* the big strollers onto the crowded buses and the end of a long day at the parks and this does not look fun to me. We are strongly considering getting one of the more midsized strollers that folds up much more compactly so it would be more manageble on the bus. Looking forward to your report.

Upvote 0

DisneyChik17

I am very interested in hearing what you think about using the "big travel system stroller." We will be taking our son in Sept who will be 14 months at the time and have debated about taking his "big" stroller vs getting a more compact one for the trip. I have seen people *wrestling* the big strollers onto the crowded buses and the end of a long day at the parks and this does not look fun to me. We are strongly considering getting one of the more midsized strollers that folds up much more compactly so it would be more manageble on the bus. Looking forward to your report.

I remember when I was little the umbrella strollers were very comfortable. The older the child the more confortable they are in one as well. They can mostly get in and out on their own or with little help. I would stongly advise going with an umbrella stroller. It will be much easier for you on Disney Transportation as well.

Upvote 0

ErickainPA

Original Poster
Thank so much everyone, appreciate the advice, will tell hubby.

space - we have been using his travel system stroller to get use to it. DS has been loving to sit up in it and look around. Ours folds up towards you so you don't have to bend down to the ground and it auto locks, while shopping for it, it folded up smaller than many other varieties out there. I will let you know how it goes though. We will end up buying a compact one next year most likely, since we will have a new baby by then.

Upvote 0

Gagesmom314

We are planning on taking Carter's travel system stroller. Three years ago we took my oldest son and took just a small umbrella like stroller and I couldn't push it. I am a rather tall person and it hurt my back after the first day of pushing it so bad I had to take pain killers for the next few days. To me it may be a bit more of a hassel to take the bigger stroller but if it saves my back it is worth it.

Upvote 0

Blonde Princess

You can't use the car seats on disney busses. There are no straps for them.
For DME they will have you hold your child on your lap. They store the car seats under the bus.

Make sure your "big stroller" folds up. There is no room on the busses for the expanded stroller with baby sleeping in same during heavy travel times like openings, closings, rain, etc.

Good Luck

Upvote 0

mouselvrmom

We took my youngest when she was 10 months old. I was really worried how she would do, but she did really great. We didn't take her car seat, we thought that it would be too much trouble. And at that time, we didn't even take a stroller. We just rented them there, which actually turned out good at that time, because they were long enough for her to lay down to take her naps. We just had a big blanket that we laid down under her and one over her and she was snug as a bug. Of course, now we just take our umbrella strollers that work even better, but this was only our second trip with the kids at that time. :) I'm sure you will have a great time! My daughter really enjoyed the characters at that age & now that she's 3 she loves them more. I really think being exposed at a young age, she hasn't shown the fear that some kids show at the big characters.

Upvote 0

maharet97a

If you don't end up taking the car seat, you may want to think about buying or using (if you already have one) a Snugli/Baby Bjorn for the plane ride. I don't know how long your flight is, but holding a wiggling baby for a couple of hours, even sitting (and with the baby sleeping) can be very tiring. The carrier will give you a little extra help during the flight. Not to mention they usually have straps to hold a paci or a toy. Plus they're not an extra 15lbs to lug around and through security. Plus if you don't have one already, you can pick up one for around $20. You don't need anything fancy, it's just to help you during the flight, not to carry the baby for an extended amount of time.

Upvote 0

Cole'sMom

Hi Ericka-We took Cole last Sept when he was 10 weeks old. We have a carseat frame stroller as well. We didn't need the carseat on the plane-it went to the cargo area. He slept the whole time on the plane-he won't this trip at 10 months! We had him in the frame/carseat on the busses. It was nice to not have to wake him up. We are taking our Peg this trip and I have been getting him used to it everyday. I personally wouldn't bother taking a carseat and the travel system-why lug more than you have to. We found it easy to hold him on the plane without a carseat. If Easton is anything like Cole-nosy, nosy, nosy, he will be easy to entertain-especailly being older now. I'd stick with the travel system. You may be kicking yourself for having more than you need. Hope I helped!

-Katie

Upvote 0

ELopez

If you aren't going to be in a car - Don't take the car seat! It will just be a big pain. There's no room on DME or resort transportation. All 4 of our children have been to WDW as babies. Have a blast! :wave:

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

No car, no car seat. :) I would only consider it if you use the car seat as a place to but the baby for rest. At 7 months many babies like sitting up more then a infant carrier provides so I would not bother with it. If you think you will use it in the room as a place to rest or part of the stroller then bring it.

I have been to WDW 3 times with a child under 12 months old. !1st DD went at 8 months old. 2nd DD went at 7 months old, and again at 9 months old (got to love DVC, AP's and cheap airfare.)

As far as strollers go bring what you and child will be most comfortable. They do have smaller travel strollers that have most of the comfort of big graco even flow system strollers. We have a combi that folds up as small as a umbrella, reclines, has cup holders and a good shade. We used that for many WDW trips, it served us well. We also used an back pack stroller when 1st DD was a baby and it was great for us. We could change it from back pack to stroller with out taking her out and is very small. It does not recline, but she was able to sleep in it by leaning on the padded rail. She loved it.

Now my number one baby advice is get a stroller rain cover no mater what stroller you bring. It may or may not rain, but if it does you will be thankful for it. Bring a blanket almost everywhere. You can use it to carry in rides to keep baby warm in AC and dry from squirting water. Cover baby while nursing, or resting in stroller to keep light off. Also it is comfort from home. With a baby that age get some chain links and attach some toys to the stroller so they don't throw them.

Have some sort of baby carrier option too for lines and places where you don't want to be taking the baby in and out of the stroller too much. We used a baby bijorn. A sling works good too, there are lots of options, but get comfortable with it ahead of time.

More baby advice then you asked for, but there it is. :)

Best of luck and have a good time. 7 months is a great age to take a baby to WDW.

Upvote 0

ErickainPA

Original Poster
Thanks all. I told hubby last night we are not bothering with his carseat. He just wanted me to see what others do, figured we wouldn't need the carseat anyway.

Our flight is about 1-2 hours long. We went to Grand Canyon in December and we just held him, we have an airplane safety harness we use on him, so he is sort of limited in his movement, because he is attached to one of our seatbelts. He did great on that flight and it was about 4-5 hours long. We needed his seat there cause we were renting a car. This time we won't have a car so it will be all Disney transportation.

We have a snugli we took to GC, used it mostly in Vegas part of the trip though. Will be bringing it this trip for the times we don't want the stroller. So since we traveled with him before I know what we will need for the most part.

We aren't going to rent a stroller because I want to be able to push him around the resort and if he's sleeping rather have him in his stroller he is use to. Then with it being Easter week don't want to have to figure out which stroller is ours. Plus this 15lb peanut gets heavy after a while and with hubby going to be taking photos and me pregnant, my body will wear out quick.

Thanks PhD we actually bought a rain cover the other day, that was one thing on our list for that shopping trip. We already have most of our stuff packed at least for him.

We will take the stroller and leave his carseat in the car at the airport.

Upvote 0

jesserin

We took DD at 7 and 8 months and she had a great time... she loved her big stroller and getting to look out and see the world! This is a GREAT age to take kiddo's as their schedules aren't as strict and they can adjust alot easier to being out and about during nap times... or staying out a little later than you normally would at home... 18 months not so much. :lol: But y'all are going to have a great time with your little guy! :sohappy: Congrats on baby number 2 btw!!! :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom