This year's Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade will be based around 'Frozen'

littlered

I don't know about other areas, but in Baltimore the sound was horrible, we could hear the singers but all the other sound was not not present except for background noise. Quite annoying!

Kman101

And I didn't really need to hear Rosie O'Donnell (who gets in a Frozen reference nearly every day on the View, it's getting old ... however I love how Whoopi ripped Disney for "only" having Frozen merchandise) and others wax nostalgia about Frozen. The movie has been out *1* year. Yes, it's popular. But the insane amount of propping this film gets just makes you sick of it. I understand playing on it's popularity but this proves sometimes it just too much. I have no real issues with the Frozen offerings in the park(s) (besides Froze-strom). But now there are numerous stores that have completely been taken over by Frozen. I know merchandise is still a hot ticket but I see full shelves ...

And I laugh when it's called a "cultural phenomenon". Um, no. Hardly. Not yet at least. But the Frozen-ites will jump all over that as if you've personally attacked them. Why can't they understand some just aren't that big of a fan of it? (Although I really do like Olaf ... I can't help it, but I do).

I mean, I love that kids have attached themselves to it, and sing the songs, but ... let's let it relax a little bit. It feels forced on those who aren't superfans of it and it shouldn't. I think the reactions to not liking the movie are a bit over the top. I respect that you love the movie but I don't love it. I loved Tangled and Princess and the Frog.

Grumpy36

As everyone else is saying, this years show was horrible. My wife and I were both looking forward to watching it, but were completely disappointed. The Frozen song remixes were horrible, and the only song my wife liked was the Olaf/kid dancer segment since it was straight from the movie. Too much of a focus on non Christmas songs too. And what was up with that ESPN segment? I want to watch a parade about Disney, not listen to Tim Tebow and Robin Roberts talk about bowl games. And there were way too many songs. I'd rather watch cheerleaders or marching bands than Train or Ariana Grande.

I get that this was supposed to be an advertisment show, but nothing they showed made me want to buy/make a trip to Disney. Want to sell me on making a trip to Disney? Show me a parade with the characters, Christmas songs, rides, and hotel pieces. I wanted to see more characters dressed up for the holidays. I had to pause the show just to point out Santa Stitch to my wife.

ExtinctJenn

As everyone else is saying, this years show was horrible. My wife and I were both looking forward to watching it, but were completely disappointed. The Frozen song remixes were horrible, and the only song my wife liked was the Olaf/kid dancer segment since it was straight from the movie. Too much of a focus on non Christmas songs too. And what was up with that ESPN segment? I want to watch a parade about Disney, not listen to Tim Tebow and Robin Roberts talk about bowl games. And there were way too many songs. I'd rather watch cheerleaders or marching bands than Train or Ariana Grande.

I get that this was supposed to be an advertisment show, but nothing they showed made me want to buy/make a trip to Disney. Want to sell me on making a trip to Disney? Show me a parade with the characters, Christmas songs, rides, and hotel pieces. I wanted to see more characters dressed up for the holidays. I had to pause the show just to point out Santa Stitch to my wife.
I have to agree with everything you said here. I noticed when they did the ads for it a week or so ago that it kept talking about it being a Frozen celebration but the show description in the Guide was the only place that made mention of the parade. I realized then that what they were doing wasn't going to be what I thought. I didn't realize just how little of the parade there was actually going to be however... wow! I wasn't even upset with the Frozen theme thing... I get that and am just rolling with it until it wears off.

There were two moments that did irritate me related to Frozen however:
1) When they described "Let it Go" as being about accepting yourself, not being afraid to show who you really are and your family loving you for you. Did the people that wrote the script for the show even see the movie? That is not what Elsa was doing while singing the song. She had run and hid and felt like she could only be herself alone in the mountains away from those she loved.
2) When they panned in on Anna and Elsa in the parade at the end and referred to the float as being Elsa's Ice Castle. Uhm no, it was the same float used in the Year of Million Dreams Parade. It didn't look like they had actually altered it at all.

Anyway... *rolls eyes*

I too was completely thrown off by the fact that at the one time they were showing the parade, Tim Tebow and Robin Roberts were talking football with it in the background. Huh? And, while I get that the Macy's parade is a lot of non-holiday songs being that there aren't many Thanksgiving songs, I really expected the stage show portions of this one to be all holiday music of some sort, not as many "and now singing their new single..."

I also have to agree with the advertisement thing. I can't believe I'm irked with the fact that it wasn't as much of an advertisement as it has been in the past but I am. It was a lot of Aulani but even then, they didn't really ever go into detail on what DVC was even. I think they were trying, with the 3 families being reunited, to instead show people that going to the parks isn't just about kids and vacation but they failed in my opinion.

I had DVR'd the show to watch it after we ate Christmas dinner and instead of just fast forwarding through commercials, I fast forwarded through half the show. Just overall incredibly disappointing.

Brian

2) When they panned in on Anna and Elsa in the parade at the end and referred to the float as being Elsa's Ice Castle. Uhm no, it was the same float used in the Year of Million Dreams Parade. It didn't look like they had actually altered it at all.

That float is from the Remember the Magic parade in 1996 & 1997, maybe even earlier. Somehow, they were able to keep that running while letting Spectromagic fell to pieces.

rtm001.jpg

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

I wonder if the new production company will be back next year?!?!

It was dick Clark productions.

I think it all depends on the ratings and small industry reception.

Reception of the average Disney fan was mixed at best.

I'm not necessarily sure you can fault the production company… They just produced what was asked of them. The executives in charge? I'm sure at worst they will just get reassigned…

PhotoDave219

That float is from the Remember the Magic parade in 1996 & 1997, if not earlier. Somehow, they were able to keep that running and let Spectromagic fell to pieces.

rtm001.jpg

Because that parade float was used every single day from 2004 on words until festival of fantasy. It's still usable for various parades now.

And the reports of spectroMagic's condition have been vastly exaggerated. The short version? They just didn't want to spend the money to do what rehabilitation was needed…

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It was **** Clark productions.

I think it all depends on the ratings and small industry reception.

Reception of the average Disney fan was mixed at best.

I'm not necessarily sure you can fault the production company… They just produced what was asked of them. The executives in charge? I'm sure at worst they will just get reassigned…

They will get a bonus if the program cost less to produce... Disney is really showing they are no longer a creative company any longer, They remind me of a 'white shoe' accounting firm.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Because that parade float was used every single day from 2004 on words until festival of fantasy. It's still usable for various parades now.

And the reports of spectroMagic's condition have been vastly exaggerated. The short version? They just didn't want to spend the money to do what rehabilitation was needed…

It was what 100k or so to refurb Spectro as I recall for new show control logic

jcldtrek

Well i personally didn't care for the show this year that much, where was the parade?? lots of singing acts and brief shots of the parade which was different parades in one. Then i was there when they filmed this and i can tell what was filmed on mon and tues. monday was a grey gloomy rainy day, tues was a clear sunny day. Nothin like watching different segments with diff weather. Where was the disneyland parade also. Magic kingdom , showed very brief parts of the christmas parade, move it shake it, festival of fantasy. looked like a mess in my opinion and seriously santa claus in the first part of the show??? Lets go back to the old way , showing the parades in both parks and briefly showing a singing act and then back to the parade.

jensenrick

And I laugh when it's called a "cultural phenomenon". Um, no. Hardly. Not yet at least. But the Frozen-ites will jump all over that as if you've personally attacked them. Why can't they understand some just aren't that big of a fan of it?

So you aren't a big fan of it, truly- so what? Newsflash- something can be a cultural phenomenon without Your participation.

It feels forced on those who aren't superfans of it and it shouldn't.

No, it shouldn't because NO ONE is forcing you to like it. The idea that anyone who expresses a positive opinion of Frozen is somehow shoving it down your throat is a bit odd.

I respect that you love the movie but I don't love it.

No kidding, heard you the first thousand times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom