This year's Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade will be based around 'Frozen'

WDWBryan

So funny to see tebow as a host of this.

I do like the new shot locations in the park they used this year.

90 minutes in and haven't even had the parade start yet though

yensid67

Just thought a thread to critique the parade/infomercial would be in order!

My Thoughts:
Personally, I thought it LACKED A LOT from previous years. Yes, its a BIG advertisement for Disney properties, but something was missing this year. The music...can we talk about the music? Lexi Walker was AMAZING! Ariana was OK, Trisha Yearwood's last song was OK, Prince Songz was OK...the others were a waste of money, time and energy. The way it was filmed in Liberty Square took away from the nostalgia for me. Having the parade on MSUSA would have been better. Actually if they would film a parade and not just the floats. I think they should have a band or 2, Disney celebrities motorcade, and Santa AT THE END and not the beginning! It was always so magical to have Santa arrive on MSUSA and have the confetti blasts at the end of the program! I was disappointed once again by Disney(the last time was my 2013 vacation)
But there always is next year and hope they do something better!

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR, MY FRIENDS!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Right. I got goosebumps during all of these, especially the one at WDW with the kids and their grandmother. The whole the has and always will be nothing more than a giant commercial for "Disney Parks". Where was the parade at Disneyland?? Oh wait, there wasn't one. They could of had some awesome shots of the new FoF floats. Robin and Tim were talking about some football thing while floats were passing behind them out of focus. The name didn't include parade anymore so I guess that should have been some hint. Did I miss something or were Anna, Elsa, and Tiana the ONLY princesses the whole time??
IMO, They could have made a separate show for the reunited stuff. Its nice and all, but its not what I tuned in for. The stories seemed hammed up too. The Hawaii one was just silly. The family talked about how extremely close they were and it even showed pictures of their kids together that did not seem to old judging by their age. Doesnt seem like they had been separated very long. And why was the sister from Utah so shocked when her brother (who lives in Hawaii) showed up at Aulani? She didnt call her brother in Hawaii to let him know she was flying to where he lives?

For the gradma one, I could only think of what 74 said months ago about how they sell the whole angle of "spin around Dumbo with dear ol Grandpa who may not be here next year". It was a nice story but do families wanna hear about a grandma who was diagnosed with cancer while they open presents or have breakfast? Don get me wrong, it wasnt bad, but they could have made it its own show, especially if they really wanted to highlight the families but I think there wasnt much of a story to begin with so they crammed and hammed it into a 5-10 minute tear jerker.

Disneyhead'71

Sure, the parade has always been a sales pitch. Not all sales pitches are the same.

Rolls-Royce-Kuala-Lumpur-dealership-4.jpg

Land3.jpg

tenchikiss

I love parades and specials. Love them. I thought the Macy's Day parade was a bit too much..here are the stars or our new shows at times. But this special makes Macy's show look like a masterpiece. It was just a hot mess all away around. I actually blinked and missed Belle. The new carriage for Cinderella didn't even have Cinderella in it! Not all the floats from either park were used. Probably not even a third. Big Hero 6 got 20 seconds on the screen. And I will agree with another poster, the hosts (why do I care about Tim?) were flat out talking when floats came by. Like bye Christmas Stitch, i got to see your feet. Even the Frozen stuff that this was SUPPOSED to be based around was half done. Why not sing ALL of Let it Go? Who the heck were the people singing in that corner on mainstreet? Actually the only people I knew who were singers were Ariana Grande. And I wanted to slap her fake tanning one side showing self off the stage. This show wasn't even a 2 hour long commercial for the parks. It was more like a 75 minute show for random singers I don't know and 5 minutes of come see the parks, we might have floats! And two rides!

I might have teared up during the Grandma reunion but the friend and sibling one? This is the year 2014. Use Skype. I rather see a military reunion even though that has been overdone before than used to be neighbors or busy siblings. Although...if Disney wants to reunite me with my brother who I haven't seen since 2011 I would be more than happy to do that. Just send a broadcaster to Japan though where he is station. I will report live from Hunny Hunt. XD

Brian

I'm just now realizing that they booted Samantha Brown, too. I can't believe they didn't have segments showing off Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom... and of course, MyMagic+.

One of my favorite shameless plugs from last year's parade was Samantha Brown "slipping in" bits about Fastpass+ 5 times per minute.

Last edited:
I thought it was TERRIBLE. Part of my hate for it may have to do with expectations; I wanted to see my usual Disney Christmas parade while they offered a "Frozen Christmas Celebration" which I thought would just be a themed parade. Instead I got a series of uninspired performances, mostly by people neither I nor my family (including 2 teenagers) had ever heard of or have any desire to see. Honestly, we ended up fast-forwarding through a lot of it. Admittedly, the regular parade contains performances too, but I don't remember it being SO MANY.

The only decent part was the 45 seconds or so near the end when they started with Tim Tebow at the front of the line of Frozen floats. As best as I can recall, that and the ensuing fast pan down the line of floats was the only "parade" aspect of it.

And what was up with most of the WDW parts being filmed in Adventureland? Even Robin Roberts appeared to be positioned over in that area for her a lot of her hosting duties. I was guessing it had to do a lot with the hub work, but then they showed some regular shots down main street near the end.

wdwgreek

Its awful, its become an over commercialized nightmare, filled with quick camera cuts and c list celebrities. Festival of Fantasy is stunning in person, and the way they filmed it made YouTube videos have better parades. The quality is so low now, its crazy.

NearTheEars

I also wasn't too impressed by the reunions. Maybe it should have only been the grandma one.

I was surprised by the lack of MM+ advertising. But I'm sure it's abcence was welcomed by many here.

I never thought MM+ should be the selling point, like they tried in the past. It's just a tool and new ticket medium.

Did they have anyone at Aulani last year?

FutureCEO

Two seconds of a parade for horribleness. Music was horrible. Commentary was horrible. Commercialization was horrible.

Then again, it could be me mad for them making millions singing and acting horrible when people like you and me could do better. Only watched a few bits and pieces though.

I'm sorry for saying horrible too much.

Sweet Thing

You need to remember the purpose of the two hour special....encourage guests to visit a Disney Resort during 2015. Final product went as planned. Happy holidays to all!

I don't know if it went as planned if people were turning it off once they realized there would be no parade to watch. My FB feed was two hours of people posting their displeasure in the program. The yearly Christmas parade broadcast is a classic Christmas tradition. Some traditions you just don't mess with. Of course, in recent history, Disney hasn't seemed to comprehend that idea.

yensid67

Whew...I thought I was being harsh!;) But I am happy it wasn't just me who thought whatever that was SUCKED! We all know Disney can do better...but won't!

Frontierland/Liberty Square filming was OK, but it didn't seem like the same parade when they switch up the locations like that! Main Street makes it feel more nostalgic since that's where they have filmed it! When they showed Olaf and the dancing girls in the hub, I was TRYING to see construction walls in the background, but they were pretty good camera angles to block them out!

Like I said before, for next years parade I would like to see a PARADE, a REAL Parade that is filled with a few bands, floats, Disney Channel stars(real and animated) and here's my biggest pet peeve...SANTA CLAUS AT THE END OF THE PARADE/PROGRAM! Maybe as a different idea for a 2 hour program, show the Christmas parades from each Disney park just so we would have a variety. And if they want to advertise Disney DVC's, Resorts, Adventures by Disney then they can use the commercial time in between parks to do that! Disney owns ABC so getting a straight 2 hr block of time like that would not hurt them at all!
Next year will HAVE TO have an AMAZING line up in order for me to watch!

Brian

I never considered that the reasoning behind filming what little of the parade they showed in Frontierland was because of the hub redevelopment. That makes the disappointment a little easier to manage.

Did they have anyone at Aulani last year?

Yes and no. 2013 only had a three minute segment during the broadcast hosted by Samantha Brown, explaining the amenities and such. This year it was much more heavily used, as they had performances (and a stage), a host, and a family reunion story there.

They really cut back on the "advertisementy" stuff this year, at least during the actual broadcast. At one point during last year's parade, they actually had Nick Canon pretend to be on the phone ordering a vacation planning DVD and say "Yeah I know I'm in the park right now but It's never too soon to start planning for next year!" Not to mention the segment hosted by Samantha Brown highlighting the four parks, the segment highlighting Disneyland and California Adventure, the segment with Josh Gad about Adventures by Disney, and with whoever it was on Disney Cruise Line.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom